InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Fragile Heart ❯ Friendship and Love ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Well, here it is, the beginning of "A Fragile Heart". I guess there are a lot of things I want to tell you, but some, if you've read my prelude, you can already guess, and others I don't want to say at the risk of ruining the story.

What I can tell you is, no, I still don't own Inuyasha, and likely never will.

This story starts off in the middle of the action. I have tried my best to mark off sections in time clearly, and don't think you will have a problem following the timeline.

------

"A Fragile Heart"

(part of the sess/kag arc)

by: Banshee Puppet

-------

Prologue: Friendship and Love

The air was tense, it had been for some time now, and after an extended silence, when the teacher's back was turned, Kagome passed the note to Inuyasha.

`How is he?' it read.

He rolled his eyes, let out a soft, "keh", and scratched down in barely legible handwriting, `He's grieving. How do you think?'

Kagome read this and shot her friend a glare. "Inuyasha," she whispered dangerously.

With a soft, defeated sigh, which would have been louder if their teacher didn't have ears like a dog, he returned, "He comes down for dinner, but that's about it. He doesn't talk, not that he cries or anything. It's more like. . . he's back to being the blank-faced bastard he was before he met you."

Kagome sighed, "Sess."

"He hasn't talked to you either?"

Kagome shook her head. "Not since, you know. . . that day."

"That day," Inuyasha mumbled. "The day he. . ."

"Yeah."

"Do you two have something you wish to share with the class?" the teacher suddenly asked, breaking them out of their quiet conversation.

"Uh. . . that is. . . n-no," Kagome stuttered.

---------

Sesshomaru sat in his room staring at his hands. `These hands, why do they look so familiar to me now? They're the same hands I've always had, aren't they?'

He dropped his head and sighed. "What's wrong with me? It's like something's happening, or about to happen, that isn't supposed to happen, and I know. . . I already know that whatever it is, I can't stop it."

`I was so happy. When did. . . when did this all begin? Is time catching up to me as well?'

He looked up at his easel where there was just the barest image of a small girl with a side pigtail. She was dancing, arms stretching heavenward. He knows who she is. But why did he choose that scene? Why there? She's surrounded by the most beautiful belladonna lilies, just like. . .just like at the funeral.

"I must be losing my mind."

------------

THREE YEARS EARLIER:

"I still can't believe your father wasn't mad," Kagome said.

Sesshomaru smirked into Kagome's hair as she laid against him, back to chest, nestled between his thighs and playing with his ponytail as he leaned comfortably against a tree with his arms around her waist in his back yard.

"Why would he be? I think he's glad actually. For the longest time he thought I was gay. It seemed to really bother him."

Kagome snickered at this. "Well, you know what they say, all the best ones are either gay or taken, I'm just glad in your case it's the latter."

"Hn."

They sat in silence for a while before Kagome asked, "so, you start your service learning thing tomorrow?"

"Yes," his voice was level, as always, but there was just a hint of a groan behind it. "Surrounded by little kids for four hours a day, every day except Sunday. Fun fun."

Kagome giggled. He hated the idea. "Just, you know, try to act human, huh? Like you do for me? Don't scare them all away on the first day."

"Why not?" he asked as if he was actually considering it and thinking it was a good idea.

Kagome turned around and poked a finger into his chest with each point she made. "Well, firstly, it's rude! Second, a bad review will ruin your grade. Third, these kids are really sick, so they need someone there to make them feel like they can forget about all that for a little while. And fourthly, and most importantly, it'll be good practice for when we have kids of our own."

His eyes widened at this.

"You do want kids, don't you, Sess?"

"Uh, yeah, guess so. I never thought much about it. I mean, I'm only seventeen Kagome, there's plenty of time for all that."

"You want to have kids with me though, right Sess? I mean, ya know," Kagome blushed. "Someday."

Sesshomaru gave her a mischevious smirk. "As often as we practice, I thought you'd know the answer to that one, love," he whispered seductively into her ear before nibbling there, and moving down to suckle her neck, tracing his lips and tongue up her jawline before meeting her in a searing kiss.

"Unfortunately, today my brother is home, so we'll have to settle for this," he told her, tightening his embrace. "Not that I mind."

----------

Inuyasha watched them through the window for a few moments before turning away and walking deeper into the house. He opened the refrigerator and pulled out a bottle of lemonade, pouring it with a furrowed frown. `They're really happy. That's the important thing. That's all that matters. It's better if they don't remember anything, if I'm the only one. That is the deal that I made. All the same, being the only one to remember. . . it's really lonely.'

Inuyasha sighed slightly, shaking his head, taking his lemonade up to his room, and turning on the television to distract himself. It was all he could do these days, to combat the depression. It was just the way things went when you made those selfless sort of wishes, he figured. Even if he would always love Kagome, he could never tell her. They could never find out about the shikon no tama or the feudal era, they weren't destined to remember Sango or Miroku, or even Shippo, who Inuyasha found that he really missed a lot more than he thought he would.

He'd never imagined though, that when he wished for his brother's happiness, that he himself would be part of that. He thought he would just die like he was supposed to. And if they ever remembered, if they went back to the way things were before, he was fairly certain, he would die again. And he had no desire to make either of them mourn twice. Destiny had spared him once, he knew it wasn't likely that it would do so again. So he kept his secrets locked close to his heart, where they belonged. That was just the burden he had to bear. Because. . . there was no one else to bear it for him, no one at all.

Lying on his bed, he rolled over onto his side and curled up into a fetal position, burying his face in his pillow to muffle the strangled sobs. "Kagome." *sniffle*. "I still love you the most. I'll always love you the most."

--------------

uh okay, that's chapter one. Not as much happened here as I wanted, but I needed to get this out to set us up for what's to come. *says that as if she really knows*. It kinda sucks though. . . because now I feel bad for Inuyasha. Ah well, I guess that's okay. It's not like I HATE Inuyasha or anything. . . Kikyo, on the other hand. . .

meh, whatever, more to come.

Till next time, happy haunting,

Banshee Puppet