InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Gift for Kagome ❯ Too Much to Do ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 2 - Too Much to Do
Kagome couldn't help but smile as she made her way towards the exit, her arms weighed down with bag after bag of gifts. She refused to let anything bring her down. It was Christmas! Sure, she had a million things still to do and a very limited amount of time to do them, but she could and would manage.
 
She'd found gifts for everyone, even the more… difficult in her traveling party. Figuring out what to buy a taiyoukai that had everything wasn't easy, that was for sure. Now she needed to get them home and start the wrapping frenzy.
 
There were cookies to be made, along with a special dinner. She also had a few cards to write with made up excuses why she couldn't see her school friends during winter break so that her grandfather didn't' find it necessary to invent some horrible disease for her to be suffering from this time. It was getting embarrassing. Thankfully she had her mother to help her get everything done because otherwise she was certain she would fail miserably and probably tear her hair out in the process.
 
The miko pushed her way through the mall doors, the sound of a ringing bell catching her ears. Without a second thought she made her way over to the bell ringer, setting down one armload of bags so that she could dig through her pocket for what little money remained.
 
“Kagome!” a familiar voice called out and her shoulders slumped. It was too late to get away.
 
“Oh, hi, Hojo,” she said with a fake smile. “I didn't even notice it was you there,” she said with a nod to the bell in his hand. “I'm in a hurry so…”
 
“Oh, yes, I volunteer every year. I think it's very important to help those less fortunate, especially around the holidays. Speaking of less fortunate, how have you been feeling? You shouldn't be out in this cold weather with your health the way it is!”
 
“I'm fine, Hojo,” she replied flatly, depositing her donation in the pot hanging beside him. Her fake smile turned genuine though as she realized he was working. He couldn't follow her! “Anyway, I'm really in a rush. I have to be getting home. Don't wanna be out in the cold too long, you know,” she said as she gathered up her bags once more. “Have a Merry Christmas, Hojo!”
 
Hojo stuttered as he tried to think of any way to keep her with him for just a minute longer, finally giving up as he realized she was already out of sight. “Merry Christmas, Kagome,” he mumbled under his breath. He just couldn't catch a break.