InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Hanyou Reborn, Kagome's Change of Heart ❯ Sweet and Stubborn ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Inuyasha sighed to himself again as he watched Kagome in the kitchen. She was washing the dishes from their dinner before she sat down to talk with Inuyasha. He had been waiting to tell her everything, but after seeing Moshi, he felt a dull ache in his chest for the friends he left behind.



“Kagome, was that guy Miroku’s reincarnation?,” Inuyasha asked, seeing her come into the living room. Kagome smiled sadly.



“Yeah, I think it was. I miss him, and Sango, and Shippo of course. I have for so long not wanted to talk about them or think about the past. Until you showed up again,” She sighed. She took a seat next to Inuyasha and rested her head against his chest, slipping an arm around his waist as well.



“I left them all behind. I feel bad, but it was the only way I could be with you,” He whispered. Kagome smiled, looking up at his glazed golden eyes.



“I, I met Koga’s reincarnation,” She said. Inuyasha growled and looked down at her. She laughed lightly, giving his waist a squeeze.



“Their total opposites. He’s a painter, he offered to teach me how to paint,” She told him. Inuyasha narrowed his eyes at her, before looking away, a pout on his face.



“Some things never change. Even in his next life wimpy wolf won’t leave you alone,” He grumbled. Kagome smiled as she remembered the gruff wolf demon. He had been so sweet to her at times, and it was always fun to watch Inuyasha get all jealous.



“I guess since you’ve decided to live in this time, you won’t have a reincarnation. But as for the others, perhaps we can befriend their reincarnations,” Kagome said. She sighed then and looked up at Inuyasha, who now watched her as well.



“Do you want to know what happened?,” He asked. Kagome sat up, and sat back into the couch.



“Just tell me that Miroku and Sango finally worked things out?,” She asked. Inuyasha smirked.



“Of course, they have a son now. Who is free of the curse, and very active. His name is Kohaku, he is Sango’s brothers name sake. Who we laid to rest finally,” Inuyasha explained. Kagome smiled happily.



“I’m glad. And what of Shippo and Kaede?,” She asked. Inuyasha sighed.



“The brat isn’t a baby anymore. He like Sota grew up, he’s living with Sango and Miroku,” He told her with a smile. “As for Kaede… she, well she passed on a few months after we defeated Naraku. But she died happy, knowing her sister rested in peace”.



“Well, I’m glad for that. She deserves to rest peaceful, she was so good to us,” Kagome sighed, thinking of the kind old woman. She had almost been a substitute Grandmother, for the one she had never gotten to know. There was a few moments of silence as the couple dwelled in their past, and then Kagome stood up.



“Inuyasha, let’s go out. We can spend some needed time together and move on,” She said abruptly. Inuyasha looked at her with an amused gaze before he too got to his feet.



“Fine. What are we going to do?,” He asked. Kagome smiled and padded over to her coat rack grabbing her coat and purse. Then she got Inuyasha’s jean jacket she’d bought him and tossed it at him.



“You’ll see. Now come on,” She said with a smile.










Below him the city lights glowed with the intensity of a million fireballs. He sighed and looked over to the girl beside him. His Kagome. She stood there looking out across the expansive ocean of lights, her brown eyes dancing with awe. She was beautiful.



The city was new to him. He knew that getting use to this time where there was loud noise and strong horrible scents, was going to be hard, but he also knew that as long as he had Kagome with him, he could bare it. Still he was feeling somewhat homesick. He wanted for just one more time to sit in an open field, with fresh clean air. He wanted to sit in the night with Kagome by his side and watch as fireflies danced about them. He doubted he could find anywhere here to do that. All the local parks were full of low life human gangs. It would be too dangerous. But still, he could dream. Even though dreaming just wasn’t the same as the real thing.



“Inuyasha, what are you thinking?”. Kagome’s voice was soft, and woke him from his stupor. He turned to her, meeting her gaze. He almost felt his own knees quake from seeing this beauty before him. He felt the blush on his cheeks in the cold air as he spoke.



“That you’re far to beautiful to be anything but a goddess,” He said to her sincerely. Kagome blushed, looking away from his intense gaze.



“You can be so sweet…when you want to,” She laughed, looking back at him with humorous eyes. Inuyasha smirked, a fang peeking out at the side of his mouth.



“Keh, that’s right. When I want to be,” He emphasized. He took hold of her hand a moment later, he enjoyed so much touching her, and feeling that tingle of warmth and love that came from her touch. The moment didn’t last long though before Kagome dropped his hold and walked back to her car.



“Come on Inu. If we don’t get back soon, I’ll never be able to get up tomorrow,” She said with a smile, her cheeks still pink. Inuyasha mourned the loss of her warmth for a moment, but smiled at her nick name for him.










The apartment was silent. Of course that could have been because the only one awake at this hour was Inuyasha. He sat on his bed and gazed wearily out his small window. He was lonely in his room and wanted to feel close to Kagome. He knew she was just down the hall, but still he had waited so long just to be close to her again. Often he would dream of those times they had in their travels. Where he would sleep above her in a tree, and late at night while she slept he’d find himself crouched beside her, just watching her in her slumber. She had been a comfort to him, her scent relaxing him. It was sweet like honey and wild flowers, she didn’t wear that offensive perfume. Her sweet scent was purely natural, and intoxicating.



“Kagome,” He sighed to himself. He got up from his bed and straightened out his pajama pants, ones that resembled his old red fire rats ones. He crept down the hall and pushed open Kagome’s door.



She looked small in that huge bed of hers. He wondered why she needed such a large bed, it almost swallowed her small frame. But he smiled as he came toward it and stealthily climbed on, careful not to jar her. His nose crinkled as he took a deep breath of her, and then sided content to sit there until morning.



“My Kagome,” He stated to no one. He reached to brush his fingers across her forehead, brushing her bangs from her face. Her hair was so much shorter then he remembered. He liked it. He smiled as he laid down beside her, draping an arm arcos her stomach, and resting his head against her shoulder. Her scent calmed him and soon he felt himself drift into a dreamless sleep.










Kagome blinked open her eyes and soon became aware of a weight draped across her stomach, and a tickle of breath on her neck. She let her sleepy eyes drift to the figure that lay beside her, and a blush stained her cheeks. Inuyasha had made himself comfortable in her bed, laying with his head on her shoulder and arm draped protectively across her stomach. She found it quite sweet, but also annoying. He had unceremoniously invaded her room and slept in her bed with out asking. But she annoyance quickly faded as she watched him sleep. His features purely relaxed and content. He looked so much like a child, and yet he was so beautiful.



“Inu?,” She questioned. His lids slid open to reveal tired golden pools. She smiled at him, reaching up to stroke one of his ears. He made a sound that sound like a purr, before he closed his eyes again. Kagome giggled stopping her ministrations and shifted so she lay on her side. His arm curled around her waist, as his head slid off her shoulder. He grumbled opening his eyes again, this time looking annoyed.



“What?,” He asked groggily. Kagome laughed giving his nose a quick kiss before she sat up.



“I have to get up and you need to go to your own room. You’re lucky I’m not yelling at you for sneaking in here,” She scolded him. Inuyasha groaned and rolled over to his other side.



“I don’t like my room. It’s too empty,” He mumbled. Kagome raised an eyebrow at him, and then slid of the bed and crouched down at his side. She looked into his sleepy eyes and smiled.



“Or are you just lonely?,” She asked. Inuyasha sat up and crossed his arms haughtily.



“No, it’s just…,” He paused trying to think of a word, and then sighed when he couldn’t come up with one. “I just don’t like it,” He told her. Kagome sighed and stood.



“Inuyasha, I’ll make you a deal,” She said. “If you admit your lonely in your room, I’ll gladly let you sleep in here every night”. She raised an eyebrow at him, and gave him a sly smile. Inuyasha huffed and grumbled to himself. He would never admit it, he didn’t want her to get the best of him.



“I wasn’t lonely. I was just cold,” He replied. Kagome laughed at him and then went to her door, holding it open.



“All right then. Get out, I need to get dressed,” She told him. Inuyasha looked at her with hurt in his eyes as he looked from the door to her and back again.



“Why are you such a bitch,” He growled. She glared at him and shook her head.



“And why are you such a stubborn jerk. Now get out before I make you,” She threatened. He glared back at her and then jumped off her bed leaving with a huff. When he was out she slammed the door on him and leaned against it.



“Stupid dog,” She mumbled. She glanced around her room before she went to lay back down on her bed again. She found the spot where he had lay and breathed deeply. His scent mingled with hers on the sheets. His woodsy scent of pine and rain, mixing with honey and flowers. She loved his smell, it was so unique and masculine. Kagome laid their for a few more moments breathing it in, before she had to get up and dress for work.



When the time came for her to leave for work she hurried around the house gathering her things. She was running late, since she’d spent that extra time just laying in bed.



“Inuyasha, please try not to make a mess. I’ll be home at five, maybe earlier if my meeting lets out. Be good,” She told him as she grabbed her purse. She shoved her hand in her jacket pocket and came up with her keys and then faced Inuyasha. He sat watching her, and was scowling.



“Don’t be like that. My deal still stands if you’d like to think about it more,” She said with a smile. Inuyasha huffed turning from her and back to the television, which currently was on cartoons. She sighed but didn’t say anything else as she left the apartment.



Inuyasha looked at the door longingly and then glared menacingly at a mirror sitting above the TV.



“This is all your fault. You stupid hanyou,” He growled at his image. He let out an exasperated breath as he looked at the TV. He knew that he was being stubborn, he was just instinctively trying to build up his defensives after he’d let her know his feelings. It was a natural reaction of his. He hated that he was so weak, that he couldn’t control his own temper. He got up from his seat and went to his room. On the bed lay Tetsusaiga. He felt that he didn’t need it anymore, after all where could her use it in this time. As he gazed at it a thought came to his mind and he went to search the closet in his room. He was happy when he found an old tool box, with a hammer and nails. He’d watch a show once that was all about people redoing each others rooms. In one episode a couple set up a wall where they could hang their friends collector swords. Inuyasha had been very interested in it, and liked all the weapons the man had owned. Now he got out the tools needed and went to work. He hammered two nails in to the wall, the length of his sword and then rested it against them. It balanced quite well, and he nailed two more above the others to hold it in place.



He stood back to admire his work, and then dumped the extra nails and hammer back into the tool box and put it back where it belonged. He gave one more glance to his sword and then fell back on his bed. That little project had only lasted a few minutes, and now he was left with nothing to do.



“I’m bored,” He grumbled, staring up at the ceiling. He knew it would be a long time before Kagome would be home, so he decided he’d go and take a nap in her bed. He smirked to himself as he jumped into her bed, and made himself comfortable.



“She can’t yell at me if she’s not home,” He conveyed with a laugh. Then he drifted off, finding peace in knowing this.










Kagome bit her lip pensively as she stared at the napkin. She had found it in her pocket that morning and remembered her promise to Corey. She had wanted to go and see his studio, but could she bring Inuyasha. Would he behave himself or cause problems. She knew he probably would be bored looking at paintings, but still he’d be even more bored staying at home an extra for hours. She sighed as she picked up her phone and dialed the number of her apartment.



It rang only once before Inuyasha picked up.



“Kagome?,” He asked. She laughed at his enthusiasm.



“Yes, it’s me. Look I wanted to know if you’d like to go and look at some paintings with me after I get out of work?,” She asked. There was silence, and then a sigh.



“Paintings? I hate the smell of ink,” He grumbled. Kagome laughed, it was true, she remembered the time they had fought the Painter with a jewel shard. The overwhelming smell of ink caused him to get dizzy.



“It’s not bad ink, I promise it won’t smell that bad,” She told him. He grumbled a little bit, and then gave another sigh.



“I guess anything is better then being trapped in this stupid apartment,” He replied. Kagome smiled.



“Good. Oh, and also you might be surprised by who you meet today. But that’s all I’m gonna say. I’ll se you when I get home,” She said to him, and then hung up before he could question her. She looked down at the napkin as she picked up her phone again and dialed the number on the napkin before her. It rang a few times before someone picked up.



“Warren Studios, Corey speaking,” came the voice. Kagome smiled.



“Hello, it’s Kagome,” She said to him. She heard a chuckle, and could tell he was smiling.



“So glad you called, I was afraid you’d forgotten about me,” He replied happily. Kagome laughed.



“Of course not, I was just extremely busy. I wanted to know if I could come by the studio today. I wanted to see your paintings,” She asked.



“Oh, of course I would be glad to have you. What time will you be able to come?,” He asked. Kagome looked at the clock, and was glad to see she had only three more hours to go.



“Could I come around five thirty?,” She asked.



“Of course,” He told her. Kagome laughed.



“Oh, and I’m bringing a friend of mine. He needs to get a little culture in his life, and I want to apologize ahead of time if he should say anything rude,” She said to him. There was a silent more lasting only a half a second and then Corey cleared his throat.



“I’m sure it won’t be a problem. I’ll see you around five thirty then?,” He asked. Kagome smiled.



“Yes, good bye then,” She said. She heard the tone ring through the phone and she sighed as she hung up. Corey probably was a little hurt that she was bringing a guy friend. But she needed to make sure he knew she wasn’t available. But also she hoped that made Inuyasha and he could be friends in this time. She could only hope.










“Kagome, what did you mean by what you said on the phone?,” Inuyasha asked again. They were walking down the street toward the studio that Kagome had wanted to go to. Inuyasha was curious to know what she was being so secretive about, and she didn’t seem to want to give him any clues.



“I told you already Inu. I’m not telling you anything, it’s a surprise,” She told him. He sighed and looked about him. They had only come just a few blocks from their apartment, passing by Kagome’s shop, with out even stopping.



“I’m not going to like it am I?,” He asked grumpily. Kagome laughed, and turned to smile at him coyly.



“Maybe, maybe not. But I’m telling you right now if you cause any problems I will have no regret when I ‘s’ you into oblivion,” She said in a charming tone. Inuyasha glared at her and then looked down at the beaded necklace around his neck. He had forgotten about it. But apparently Kagome hadn’t.










They came to a large building that had glass doors painted with swirling designs. On the door it read ‘Warren Studios’. Kagome smiled as she pushed open the door and stepped inside, Inuyasha close behind her. The room they entered was large and open, large and small canvases covered the walls with various paintings of people and landscapes. Kagome went right for the largest painting. It was quite incredible, a whole scene of a village much like the ones in feudal Japan, but there was a modern touch to it the colors were bright and it looked almost surreal.



As Kagome studied the painting Inuyasha looked about the place, scanning it with narrowed eyes. Then Kagome turned to him with a wide smile.



“Isn’t it amazing,” She said. Inuyasha just raised an eyebrow at her, and looked at the painting behind her. As he studied it he heard footsteps approaching them.



“Kagome, so glad you could come,” Came a voice. Inuyasha turned to face the presumed painter and felt his blood begin to boil. He was quick to act jumping in front of Kagome.



“YOU!!,” He shouted pointing a clawed finger at the startled man. “DAMN YOU KOGA!!”.