InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Hanyou's Love ❯ A Hanyou's Love ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Hanyou's Love

By LSL

Kagome looked around the battleground. The smell of blood and death saturated the air, and the stench of Naraku's decaying body acted like the glue that held the smells together. It had been three days since they had been able to defeat Naraku. It had been three days since Inuyasha and Sessamaru had led them into battle, and it had been three days since Inuyasha gave up his life for hers.

"Kagome." An emotionless male voice called to her. The futuristic miko, now dressed in the traditional garments, turned to the Lord of the Western Lands with hopeful eyes. He just shook his head. The sun began to set upon the desolated land.

"You should not be here, Kagome." A warm voice called to her. She turned to face her favorite Hoshi and best friend comming up the hill to join them. Miraku had a new glint of light in his eyes. Even with Inuyasha's disappearance and probable death, she could not blame him. He had almost been swallowed up by his Kazanna moments before the defeat of Naraku. As far as she was concerned, he was living on borrowed time, and deserved to enjoy it. Though the sadness around that glint told her that he was also mourning the lost of their comrade.

"Were else should I be?" She replied.

"Tonight is the new moon. He would not want you to see him like that." Sango whispered.

"Because it's the night of the new moon is why I must remain here. He didn't like me to be too far away those nights." She gave a short snort. "Actually, it was me that could not leave him while he was vulnerable. Now, I will never be able to protect him again." Tears rushed to her eyes and threatened to spill as her heart rushed to her throat. "God, why didn't I tell him? I wanted to protect him as much as he wanted to protect me." Kagome's tears finally broke free as Sango offered her a shoulder to cry on. Sessamaru turned to leave, but first spoke a few words over his shoulder.

"My brother was a worthy inu warrior, even if he was a hanyou. He loved you, and knew you returned his love. He even marked you as his mate before the battle. He would die for honor as much as he would die for love. Human or Yukai, his soul will not abandon yours that easily."

"That is hard to believe…" Kagome began through tears. "when not even his body returned to me for burial."

"Do you doubt my brother's strength, woman!" Sessamoru spat angrily before walking away. Kagome could not take his accusation, suddenly the smell reminder of the guilt that had been brewing for three days in her stomach. The blood and purified miasma began to build walls around her. She felt trapped, like a caged animal. Suddenly, Sango's arms felt like leather binds. She broke free and ran in the darkness of the moonless night.

She felt a presence surround her; she needed to get away. Her feet led her effortlessly to where her heart did not want to be. She was broken: heart, mind and soul. There was nothing left for her here but guilt and sad smiles from her friends. She needed to escape. "Inuyasha, please forgive me." Fresh tears rolled down her face. "Not only did I fail to protect you from Naraku, but I can't even stay by your side in death. I am so weak Inuyasha. What ever made you think I could go on without you protecting me? Who gave you permission to do so? How could you? How could you leave without saying good-bye?" She banged her hands against the wall of her well. She saw the red blood seep from her hand, so rushed it towards her body and held it lovingly. What had seemed like an accidental scratch from and overprotective inu hanyou, was later explained by Sessamaru to be a claiming mark of a mate.

Sessamaru. He had been a twist of fate, but his last minute alliance had been a blessing. She remembered Inuyasha's reluctance to accept the older inu yakai into his pack until Sessamaru himself offered a truce. "Upon my father's immortal soul, I once swore that no one would bring harm to our family. Today, I swear upon the brother fangs, that I will not allow Naraku to stain our family honor. I will fight by your side this one time and call you brother to ensure the supremacy of our rule on these lands."

"Fancy words and excuses to do what you have been doing all this time Sessamaru…protecting your little brother." Kagome took a deep breath amidst her river of tears. "You must be in pain as well. The one time you openly protect your brother, you fail…even your father's fang can't find his body to return it to life. Everything you ever believe in…your strength, your kiba, your honor…all gone in one blow."

Kagome turned to her love's forest, taking in its smell and strength. It was a perfect representation of him: wild, savage but alive with a gentleness buried deep within. His ghost seemed to be all around her, and yet too far away. A barrier of life separated them, and now, she needed to add the barrier of time. She wiped her tears away and rushed into the well.

With her eyes glazed over, she walked passed her brother and grandfather and walked to the god tree, the everlasting symbol of their love. She stared strait ahead, wondering why their love was not meant to be. They were separated in this life; they were separated when she was Kikyo, and in her heart, she knew they had been separated when she walked the earth as Midoriko.

"Kagome?" her mother asked as she placed a blanket on her shoulders.

"He left me momma." She began as more tears washed her face. "Just like daddy left you…" Her mother wrapped her arms tightly and securely around her daughter trying to force her strength into her daughter's body. "Why momma? Why did they have to leave us? What did we do to deserve this?"

"I don't know." Her mother began trying to hold back her own tears. "All I know is that when love is real, they never really leave."

"He left mother. We don't even have a body to mourn."

"Kagome, when your father died, I thought my world would fall apart. I did not know how I could be strong for you and Souta. The night afterwards, I walked to this tree…to its protective aura. It was here I felt your father near me. I could tell he was still watching over me, and even in death we would share his strength with me. He was still beside me and you and Souta. He would never leave us, like I am sure Inuyasha would never truly leave you alone in this world."

"But he is not here." Kagome protested.

"Maybe you're not listening well enough." Her mother soothed before she kissed her daughter's cheek and left her to find peace. Kagome walked up to the old tree and brushed her fingertips against it.

"I wonder how many times we sat under the shade of this tree arguing when we should have been kissing?" She began aloud as the completed Shikon no Tama began to glow around her neck.

"Don't ever regret our fights. I enjoyed every single moment of them." A familiar husky voice whispered into her ear.

"Inu…Inuyasha?"

"What? Did you think I would just leave? I thought you knew me better than that, baka."

She turned slowly to stare into his violate eyes and black hair under the artificial lights of the shrine. "I thought I lost you…that Naraku finally managed to break us apart."

"Never! Our souls our intertwined Kagome! We belong together. Besides, there is no way I would ever let you go."

"Inuyasha…"

"I only have one regret about those fights Kagome…though I loved to see your eyes with such energy…I just wished that once, just once I told you how much I loved you."

"Inuyasha?" He grabbed her hands and pulled her to him. He looked at her with a desperate need in his eyes. One she knew had been buried in her eyes for a long time as well. "Tell me you knew. Tell me that even though I never said…please tell me you knew you I loved you." She begged.

"Kagome." He whispered.

"Please don't leave me."

"Not even in death." He kissed her passionately and lovingly as if this would be the only kiss he would ever have to prove his love to her. Magic evoked their bodies as Inuyasha's spirit began to dissipate. When the vision was over, Kagome began to cry again. This time it was not regret, but happiness. She could truly mourn for her love now. They loved each other, and even though she hated fate, she could give Inuyasha's memory the respect it deserve.

"Um, girl…why are you crying?" I familiar voice asked.

"Because…Because…" Kagome could no longer voice a response. She broke down in painful sobs. A pair of strong arms encircled her.

"Oye wench…please don't cry….I can't stand to see a girl cry." Kagome pulled away and looked at the man before her. She stared at dark brown eyes and hair the color of a moonless night, she saw a face she thought she would only see in dreams. Her shock stopped her tears.

"That's better." He said as he wiped away her tears. "You should know better than to cry like that. Tears can't change a thing, except make the world blurry."

"Inu-Inuyasha?"

"Hey, you remember my name. That's funny considering you are always absent. I wouldn't think you would have noticed my transferring here. Let me guess, that abusive boyfriend of yours made you cry like that."

"He died." She choked, not believing her ears or eyes.

"Oh, sorry. Umm, you know what they say, if he truly loved you, he would never leave you. He will find a way to be with you, even from the other side." Kagome smiled at his words and nodded. "Now, if you are done crying, do you think we could go inside. I am suppose to be picking up a Shikon no Tama replica for my niece." She smiled and allowed him to lead her to the house. Somehow, she knew his words were true. Their souls were intertwined. Not even fate could keep them apart.