InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A little goes a long way ❯ New Lease on Life, Part I ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I own nothing but the mere sparks of imagination. Characters are property of Rumiko Takahashi, VIZ Media et al. Original story idea, The Lion and the Mouse by Aesop. Excerpts of storyline taken from the manga volumes 373 onwards.
 
 
A/N: All good things must come to an end and this is it my friends and loyal readers. Thank you for staying with me through this fabulous journey.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
 
When the debris from the Windscar cleared, all heads turned to the direction of the black-clothed figure that crouched a ways from the destruction. He was breathing heavily as he looked down at the wilted body held firmly in his grasp; unsure of whether he had saved her in time. As his eyes inspected her for any wounds, she whispered quietly,
 
“Kagome-sama is awake.”
 
The Daiyoukai was still so both in shock, and angered by InuYasha's reckless actions, that he did not hear the soft-spoken words as he advanced on their position. His primary concern was the status of his ward's well-being.
 
“Rin, are you sound? This Sesshoumaru can sense no injuries on your person” he commented, after checking her scent for any damage. Luckily there was none, aside from a few scratches and a bruise or two. There were many more questions he needed to have answered before he could deal with the half-breed's stupidity; but he was waiting on the young girl's response before he proceeded.
 
Kohaku casually wiped some detritus from Rin's hair and the soft touch soothed her so much that she opened her eyes, just to see who had done it. She had no idea who to expect; no one except for Kagome-sama or Sango-chan had ever comforted her in that way before. When her doe-brown eyes saw the face of the young man, who had kidnapped and threatened to kill her in the past, the only thing she felt was fear and hastily tried to get out of his arms. Sesshoumaru sensed her anxiety and made to retrieve her to safer ground but stopped, when he saw the forlorn look on the boy's face. He figured that it would be best to see this play out before he intervened; after all, the boy had been secretly hanging out within his lands for some time and more recently, within his very Citadel walls and he was curious as to why. The confession revealed much,
 
“Rin-chan, please do not be afraid. I mean you no harm. Do you remember what happened just now?” he implored. She shook her head in the negative, her nerves still a little on edge, but she could feel the sincerity of his words, so she remained still so he could continue. “You were almost hit by InuYasha's Windscar attack; had I not jumped in and pulled you away, you would have been…” he couldn't say anymore, too choked up by the thought of almost losing her.
 
The Inu Lord was stunned; the boy was in love in Rin. Why else would he risk coming out into the open, when he had evidently been trying to conceal himself for so long.
 
“Taijiya, you have trespassed upon these Western Lands for many a moon. Are you running from your past crimes? You will answer this Sesshoumaru” he demanded, his patience wearing thin.
 
“Sesshoumaru-sama, I have been in hiding from Naraku for some time now. When I regained my memories, Kagura urged me to leave before he found out. He undoubtedly would have killed me in an instant, in order to reclaim the Shikon shard in my back that prolongs my life. He can no longer control or use me to do his dirty deeds.” his honest declaration was loud enough for all to hear.
 
It was his sister that broke the ensuing silence.
 
“Kohaku? Kohaku, you know who I am, don't you? You remember everything don't you?” a teary eyed Sango asked, as she walked closer to where he still kneeled on the ground holding Rin. She paid no attention to Sesshoumaru or InuYasha as she passed them. This was the moment she had longed for, for three years. It just had to be real.
 
“Ane-ue, I remember everything, that day as well” he countered, it tore his heart to be so close to his sister but he had a mission to finish, “That's why I can not be with you.”
 
“Why not? What do you intend to do by yourself?” she screamed at him, her voice coming out hoarse and choppy.
 
“I intend to kill Naraku. I know that I might die in the process but at least I would have paid my debt for my part in killing father and the other village men” the brave teenager responded. He did not wish for his sister to be so broken about his decision.
 
The dai had heard enough to understand the importance of the young human male. He had considerable knowledge of the kumo-hanyou's whereabouts and the inner workings of his castle. He had also proven to be a strong warrior and able protector, where Rin was concerned. But it was his connection to the Inutachi that was most fascinating. He and his sister were the last of the great taijiya clan and together, they would prove to be a formidable force in the coming battles. He rolled his eyes internally, `Yet another human that this Sesshoumaru must protect. Go ahead and laugh now father'.
 
“Enough” he shouted, and everyone stilled and turned to face him. He was not one to be ignored, no matter how arrogant he was.
 
Miroku and Shippou had drawn closer to Sango's side in a show of support, while Kirara entwined herself around Kohaku's leg. Only InuYasha kept his distance, knowing that Sesshoumaru would not want him anywhere near Rin at the moment. He felt foolish and sick at the thought that he was once again living up to everyone's biggest complaint of him, Shippou's earlier words coming back to taunt his already frayed ego, ` I really don't know how to think things through first, before I leap to action. If Rin had been killed, it would have surely cost me my life at the hands of that puffed-up dog and I would have deserved it too' he mulled over silently, while said `dog' geared up to speak.
 
“Boy, as repayment for your saving of my ward, this Sesshoumaru offers you shelter and the protection of the Western Citadel. You would be foolish to attempt to deal with Naraku by yourself; but perhaps it would be most beneficial if you joined our combined forces instead. You would not want Kagura's dying wish for you to be all for naught” he knew mentioning the wind witch was a bit underhanded but he was sure that it would get his point across.
 
“Kagura is dead?” Kohaku questioned, she had been the only kind person throughout his ordeal, even going so far as to betray both Naraku and his offspring in order to save him.
 
“Yes, unfortunately Kagura was killed not to long after double-crossing Hakudoshi. Naraku gave her back her heart just moments before impaling her with his miasma-infused tentacles. In the end, she gained her freedom and became a part of the wind itself” Miroku recanted the bitter ending of the only one of the kumo-hanyou's minions that was worth saving. It was not her fault that she was born of evil. He often wondered what kind of being she would have been like, had there been no connection to her maker.
 
Kohaku looked into the faces of the Inu Lord, then his sister, the monk and kitsune, before coming to absently turn his head back to face Rin again. He was so confused. On the one hand, if he went off on his own, he would surely die. While on the other, if he stayed, he would be closer to his love and his ane-ue. Together they were stronger, divided they would fall. So deep in his thoughts, that it took some sharp tugging from the young girl he held, on the arm that was wrapped around her waist, before he really focused on her beautiful visage.
 
“Rin wants you to stay Kohaku-kun”, came from the mouth of babes. His decision was made.
 
He stood up, bringing Rin up with him. Sango took a firm hold of her, seeing that she was still a little dazed and shaky. Kohaku held her hand for a moment before stepping away and coming to kneel at the dai's feet.
 
“I accept your offer Sesshoumaru-sama and I hereby pledge my allegiance to you and the Western Lands”. Sango lunged at him, crushing him in a long overdue hug that he tentatively returned. It would take a while before he got used to being around family and friends.
 
“Hnn” with a nod of approval to the boy, Sesshoumaru turned to Rin and placed a hand on top of her mussed brown head.
 
“Now, tell this Sesshoumaru how you managed to get yourself into this position?” he inquired of her, as calmly as he could. He was overwrought from everything that had happened in the last half hour and it was not in his nature to lose his control; although it was becoming increasingly harder and harder to maintain that façade around this group.
 
As if a light bulb went off in her head, Rin suddenly remembered why she had run outside in the first place. `Kami, what will Sesshoumaru-sama think of Rin for not telling him until now?'
 
“Umm, well…” she was so nervous that she couldn't look into his golden gaze,”Rin heard you and InuYasha-sama arguing and thought that maybe you didn't want him to bother Kagome-sama but then she started to twitch her nose, so Rin came to tell you that she was waking up” she finished with a flourish, a huge sigh shaking her tiny shoulders.
 
“Kagome's awake! Is she ok? Can we please go see her Sesshoumaru-sama?” Shippou begged, his green eyes blazing with unbridled emotion.
 
“Come, we will all go attend to the miko. This Sesshoumaru is sure that she will be pleased to be reunited with you all” `Thank the kamis, she is awake' that familiar constriction felt like relief and joy but he would not dare show it. Instead, he gestured towards the ninomaru and the grandiose wooden doors of the main building. He paused in his steps after everyone but the hanyou had passed him, finally spinning on his heel to glare at the half-breed.
 
“We will finish our argument after seeing to the miko's needs. You are not to upset her in any way or this Sesshoumaru will gladly have your worthless hide thrown out of the Citadel” he hissed out. It was going to be quite a headache having all of the extra `guests' in attendance. Never in all its years had the Western Citadel hosted so many humans.
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Ai had been heading back to the Lady's room, in order to bring young Rin her missed noon meal. While picking up the tray from the kitchen, she overheard gossip from another maid that their Lord had ordered the girl to sit watch over the Shikon miko while she slumbered. `I am not surprised considering how attached she is to the miko. It was painful to separate them earlier' she reflected, as she traversed the main staircase that led to the family wing.
 
Arriving at the guarded door, she motioned for them to step aside but they adamantly refused. A look of smugness crossed both their faces, as they spoke to the flustered youkai,
 
“Sesshoumaru-sama instructed us to remain here and guard the two ningen but Lady Rin fled, not half an hour ago. Since your only responsibility ran off, we don't have to let you in.”
 
“Nani?!? You mean the miko is in there unsupervised. You baka uma!! Kagome-sama is an honored guest of the Western Citadel and an ally of our Lord. She was almost killed by a viper's bite and you leave her to wake up alone, in an unfamiliar futon, in an even stranger room, in a castle she has never been to before. OUT OF MY WAY!!!” she shrieked at them. In the almost two hundred years that the crane-youkai had been working at the Citadel, no one had ever heard her raise her voice to anyone for any reason. She had actually been made fun of numerous times for her too gentle countenance.
 
The guards lowered their heads at the verbal assault, knowing that there was no way that they could escape getting into trouble for this oversight. Ai was Lady Rin's private attendant and held higher rank than most of the other servants in the Citadel; since she was allowed personal access to the family wing and often kept Sesshoumaru-sama's counsel. There was no doubt that she would surely tell their Lord about this.
 
Just as she was about to lay into them again, two sets of footsteps came trampling down the hall. She didn't need to turn around to know who it was. One set belonged to Misaki-san, who smelled of crushed herbs; while the other was preceded by a third hollow, thumping noise, that had to be Jaken, as he waddled along carrying the Staff of Two Heads.
 
“What is all this racket out here? I have very important work to do and I have no time to leave the study to come break up some minor riff between a maid and two guards” he squawked out, trying to sound way more authoritative that he actually was.
 
“Ai, was that your voice I heard shouting just a few minutes ago? What could possibly be wrong child?” the owl healer inquired, knowing that whatever caused such emotion from the crane, must have been quite disturbing.
 
“I apologize for yelling Jaken-sama, Misaki-san. I came up here to deliver Lady Rin's meal since she was told to keep watch over the Shikon miko but I have been informed that she left a half hour ago, in the direction of the main gates. These two have left the unconscious miko alone and refuse to let me in” bowing her head as she explained her earlier outburst.
 
Jaken's eyes almost popped out of his head when he realized that Ai had just said that InuYasha's wench was in the Lady of the West's rooms. It had to be a mistake; the dim-witted servants must have put her in the wrong room. A problem he needed to rectify before his Lord found out but first he wanted to know who was to blame.
 
“These rooms are for the Lady of the West and as Sesshoumaru-sama is unmated, they are to be kept sealed. Under whose authority was the stupid woman placed in there?” he questioned, `Heads will roll for this', inwardly smiling as visions of upcoming praise for dealing with this breach in proper youkai protocol clouded his rational mind, so he didn't notice that all the other youkai were bowing, until he heard the voice directly behind his head and he opened his eyes.
 
“It was this Sesshoumaru that placed the miko within these rooms. Do you dare question your Lord's authority Jaken?” the cold baritone was unmistakable and it left the little imp shaking. He never got a chance to respond, as in the next moment he found himself in mid-flight, before coming to land awkwardly upside down at the base of the stairs.
 
`My Lord hates me' he contemplated from his prone position.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
All the shouting and noise was making her head hurt even more and she still couldn't find the energy to even pull the covers over her head. So she turned her face to the right and buried it in the soft, downy pillow. `Ah what a dream that was… At least I am back at home, in my own time and I don't even have to wake up to go to school or anything' she mused. She could not remember going through the well but she must have been so tired when she did so, that all her body wanted to do was sleep - so she let it.
 
Outside the miko's doors, the Inutachi waited for Sesshoumaru to finish his conversation with the crane and owl-youkai. Rin, who was feeling much better, ran to her maid's side and took the food tray from her and went to take a seat on the small hangai that sat along the wall nearest the door. She was famished and was about to dig in, when she looked up and saw Shippou staring longingly at the bowls of rice and fish on her tray.
 
“Shippou-chan, do you want to share this with Rin? It is far too much for Rin to eat alone” it was a lie but the kit looked hungry and she could always get more food later.
 
The little fox-child hopped off from Miroku's shoulders and went to sit next the young girl, who shifted the tray between them so they could eat. The ever vigilant, Inu Lord did not miss the exchange, even if his focus was on the healer's words. It never ceased to amaze him how much goodwill and concern his ward exhibited. `She is just like the miko in so many ways. Friend to all and afraid of none' his mind concluded, a small smirk forming on his stoic face.
 
“Sesshoumaru-sama, the guards have refused me entry to the Lady's rooms, even after they knowingly left the miko unattended after Lady Rin departed to go find you” Ai complained, head held high, as a sign of her discontent with the pair of horse-youkai behind her.
 
It was Misaki who rounded in on them, using one feathered hand to halt the Inu from interfering. The miko was her patient and if anything were to happen to her, she would feel responsible, even though she had an entire Infirmary to manage. Sesshoumaru-sama had put his faith and trust in her abilities and she was not about to let two lowly guards' disrespect disrupt her patient's recovery. She sauntered up to both and grabbed each by an ear, like they were small children who had misbehaved.
 
“Heed my words well. The kamis put me on this earth almost two thousand ago, for one purpose - to be a healer. It is my responsibility to treat the ill and wounded, be they youkai, hanyou or human, as is the case of the onna in that room” her rant began, black deep-set eyes burrowing into the guards, as they trembled in her grasp. “She has had a rough night after using all of her reishi to treat a youkai in distress; she was then bitten by a malicious viper, which thought to have her for his next meal”
 
Sesshoumaru blanched and tried to hide his shock at the old owl's words `This Sesshoumaru can not put anything pass her'.
 
“If Sesshoumaru-sama had not been in the area at the right time to save her, our world would have lost the greatest miko of our time. She is the only one who can defeat that depraved kumo-hanyou Naraku and right the wrongs he has committed against both ningen and youkai. She is to be accorded as much respect and loyalty as you would grant Sesshoumaru-sama and apparently, you are unable to do so. I am sure our Lord will gladly relieve you of your duty, in favor of something far less dignifying until you can learn tolerance and how to keep your bias opinions to yourself. I will not have any member of the Western guard jeopardizing the health and wellbeing of anyone within my care” she finished off her tirade and her feathers were all fluffed out. For a youkai that old, she was still very feisty and extremely scary when annoyed.
 
The Inu Lord waited until his healer had finished berating the two guards before he dismissed them with one of his trademark glares and a wave of his hand. They sprinted down the stairs in seconds and out the doors before he could even decide their fate. It was Ai, who piped up with a very appropriate suggestion,
 
“They should have to go muck out the stables and tend to Ah-Un for a few days. That would knock them off their high perch for a while” she muttered, arms folded across her front in her aggravation.
 
Sesshoumaru looked down at her, eyebrow disappearing into his hairline and released a minute smile, which caused everyone to stare at him in awe; it was such a rarity, that it could not have been helped. He promptly stopped and went back into his regular flat scowl.
 
“Ai, see that Takeshi-taichou gets that order” he instructed the tsuru maid, which had her inwardly smirking.
 
“Hai Sesshoumaru-sama” she replied, before bowing and taking her leave to go find the Captain of the Guards. She wanted to be there when he doled out the punishment.
 
“Well, I think we have spent enough time out in the hallway. How about we go see about the miko? Rin, did I hear something about her twitching her nose?” the fukuro asked.
 
“Hai, Misaki-san. She looked like a usagi when she did it. Rin was very excited” the girl responded, clapping her hands in her glee. She had finished eating and wanted nothing more than to go see Kagome-sama.
 
“She does that all the time when she's trying to wake up, even though the rest of her body refuses to move” InuYasha whispered from the back of the pack, his head was still hanging low from his guilt. He had never realized that he knew such minor intimate details about his friend, until the memory suddenly popped into his head. He was still coming to terms that it was his half-brother that was there to save her and not him. He had broken his promise to her and she had gotten hurt. The reality of the situation just served to compound the guilt that had built up within him; like he had swallowed a boulder and it got heavier and heavier the more he heard.
 
Apparently, the rest of the Inutachi and Sesshoumaru were similarly surprised by this revelation as well. It seemed that the hanyou actually paid attention to the miko, even while she slept. `Too little, too late', both Sango and Miroku thought at the same time.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Misaki pushed open the doors and was the first to arrive at Kagome's side. She methodically checked the bandages, to find that the puncture wound had closed up, leaving two silver marks in its place. The anti-venom and poultice had done its work. There was no trace of poison left in the girl's blood and her normal porcelain coloring had returned. She was still running a mild fever, probably caused from the regeneration of her reishi powers but all in all, she was healed and would be fine with additional rest.
 
Sango was compelled to sit as close to her friend as she could. Her heart was still so wound up from their hectic search for Kagome, Rin's almost demise and finding Kohaku that she needed to do something, anything to keep her mind occupied, fearful that she would break down again. Misaki sensed the taijiya's anxiety and extended a small rag and bowl of cold water to her, knowing that she would know what she was asking of her. The older girl took it and thanked the healer with a smile, before she began to apply the cold compress to Kagome's head.
 
Seeing his dear one's ministrations, Miroku plopped down on a nearby chaise, patting his good hand on the empty seat to get Kohaku's attention. The boy took the hint and sat down next to the monk. He had seen how his ane-ue and the spiritual man interacted on many occasions and wondered silently, if this was the man who would become his gikei, if they survived Naraku. Miroku however was totally at a loss as to what to say to the boy. It was probably the first time he had been rendered speechless in his adult life. So instead of having the talk that they needed to have, they sat quietly and watched Shippou and Rin play on the covered floor with Kirara.
 
Sesshoumaru had no wish to intrude on the tachi's reunion but when InuYasha sidled himself over to the other side of the miko's futon - the same side he had slept on earlier, he couldn't control the low growl that came out of his mouth. Misaki, Shippou and InuYasha all knew what it meant but said nothing. `Why did this Sesshoumaru growl? The hanyou is her pack mate even if he is a brute; he has a right to be near her. He has already been warned to watch his barbed tongue but this Sesshoumaru will not leave her side just in case' the thoughts led him to believe that he was jealous but there was no reason for the emotion and it confused him enough to make him frown. It didn't help matters any, that his youki calmed when he stepped closer to the edge of the futon and could see Kagome clearly. She looked like a fallen tenshi, her ebony locks framing her gentle face like a halo, as she lay sleeping on the white futon and covers. Her cheeks were rosy from her fever but it only served to enhance her exotic beauty. The constriction in his chest wished that she would wake up so he could drown himself in the pools of her sienna -brown eyes. He gasped at his inner thoughts `This feeling…is this what they call love? Does this Sesshoumaru love the miko? This Sesshoumaru has never known or had need of these emotions before but they can not be denied. It was painful to think that she was almost lost. This Sesshoumaru will not act on these emotions until they are understood better. Besides the miko does not feel anything of the sort. It would be unwise to pursue them until a later date, a much later date'. Bringing his mind to focus on the here and now, he straightened up and gazed away absently, like he was bored of the whole situation.
 
Misaki had seen that look before, too many times to count. She might be a wizened old youkai but she knew when she saw the look of a man who suddenly realized that he was in love and seeing Sesshoumaru-sama sport that look made her want to hoot. The miko, her humanity aside, was the perfect female for the too stodgy, bitter Lord. Misaki was even more excited for the young woman to awake, so she could find out for herself. She planned to spend some quality time with the young miko, when she had recovered enough of course. Her curiosity about how Sesshoumaru-sama regained his arm could only mean that the onna was far more powerful than she looked and she wanted to assess her strength. If it came to be that she was to be the chosen mate of her Lord, then she would need to be just as strong, not only in physical strength but mental as well.
 
It was a task that had been hers from generations ago; every intended mate had to pass her stringent exams or there could be no official ceremony. The last being she tested had been Mizuki-sama, Sesshoumaru-sama's mother. The only one that ever eluded her was the first ningen onna to bear a pup into the royal Inu house, Izayoi. The illegitimate product of that union now stood mere feet away from her on the other side of the futon. She had always heard rumors about the hanyou and when Rin came along and started travelling with the Lord, they turned into stories of his heroism and unfortunately, also his immaturity. It could not be helped really; he was only two hundred and three, still a mere pup in her eyes. It was obvious that the half-brothers did not get along but now they were forced to be civil because of the onna that lay on the futon that separated them. Maybe there was hope after all.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
`I hear voices all around me. Mom? Souta? Jiji? Why would they need to be in my room? It's so hot in here and its autumn too. Arrgh, did someone turn on the heater?' All watched as Kagome kicked the covers off; leaving her in only a simple blue yukata that bared way too much skin to the multitude of males in the room. Not that they hadn't seen her legs in the green and white sailor fuku she had worn for the first couple of years she traversed in the Feudal era, prior to finally realizing that it wasn't exactly the best attire for combat or sleeping outdoors. The damn thing had the tendency to get her abducted by the strangest of males, Naraku included.
 
Sango gently washed the perspiration of the girl's brow. The miko tossed and writhed on the futon like she was having a bad dream, when in actuality, she believed that she was back in the Modern era in her own bedroom. It would have been quite humorous, if she hadn't been so close to death just hours ago.
 
`I need to get up and go back through the well. I have never stayed away from them for so long without telling them that I was leaving first. Sango and Shippou must be so worried about me. I wonder if InuYasha has calmed down yet and is ready to apologize…ha-ha that's a good one Kagome.' Her facial expressions went from worried to amused in the blink of an eye and if you looked close enough, she seemed to be laughing.
 
`The miko is strange, even in her sleep' the daiyoukai thought, as he stood there watching her every movement.
 
`What did I do last night that has me so tired? Think brain, think. Kami! I am suffering memory loss and I'm only eighteen. OK, I remember arguing with InuYasha about the arrow. More reasons to hate bats. I remember leaving camp and walking for hours, then there was the cave, and the whole thing with Sesshoumaru-sama. I wonder if he's OK. Oh hell, he's the most powerful youkai in Japan, I'm sure he's off somewhere terrorizing the world…especially now that he's got two hands again. Have to remember to ask Kaede about that one. Ummm, after that I took a cold bath…brrr!!!, then I left him in the cave and I was walking through that Irohamomiji path and I went to sleep in that tree. WAIT! I went to sleep in a tree, so how did I end up back in Tokyo? There was more <in her dream, she is slapping her forehead with her palm>… I remember now. I woke up screaming from a pain in my arm and then someone picked me up and carried me away. So if I am not in my bed back at the Shrine, where the hell am I?'
 
With that last screeching thought, Kagome Higurashi opened her eyes and the very first thing she saw was a slightly disheveled and highly concerned appearing Inu daiyoukai looking directly at her, his hands twisted in front of him.
 
“Sesshoumaru-sama, is all well?” she questioned, not really sure why those were her first words to him.
 
To say that that the dai was confused at her question, would be the understatement of the century. He couldn't reasonably put his feelings into words that he would have been comfortable saying aloud, especially not with everyone in the same room. He was overjoyed that she was awake and seemed well but he was truly floored by the fact that her first thoughts were to ask about him. How could one person be so selfless? And she was still staring at him with those soulful brown eyes of hers….a quick glance around the room and he quickly noted that everyone was staring at him. She was waiting for an answer and after this day, he knew that he would never ever deny her of anything again.
 
“Hai Kagome. All is well…now” was his only response. A few short words that meant more to both of them then anyone else could ever imagine. And with a small nod towards her and to Misaki, he turned and walked out of the rooms. He needed to be alone and to have some time and a place to think. He took a small sniff of the tendrils of hair that blew past his nose and wrinkled it in displeasure; it smelt of dirt and his and Kagome's blood. `I need a bath' he surmised and headed off to his private onsen located within his own suite of rooms.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
E/N: There will be a 2nd part to this chapter. I would never be so cruel as to end it like that. It was just too long that it had to be cut in half.
 
Translations:
 
Ninomaru - secondary wall (inner circular wall of castle, usually the one that shields the main building)
Nani - what???
Baka - I shouldn't really need to tell you what this is…but it means stupid or idiot
Uma - horse
Hangai - small chest used for clothing storage
Taichou - captain (any Bleach fans would know this one already)
Usagi - rabbit
Gikei - brother in law (man who marries your older sister)
A/N: I could see why Sesshoumaru is upset at Kagome when she calls him `onii-sama' at the end of the manga…it is quite disrespectful given his title.
Tenshi - angel
 
Name meanings:
 
Ai - love (cranes are said to bring good luck, kind of the Japanese version of the stork)
Misaki- beauty bloom (no bearing on her character, I just like the name)
Mizuki - beautiful moon (appropriate since it is her family line that granted the crescent moon to Sesshoumaru)
Takeshi - fierce, violent `warrior' (hence the reason he's captain of the guards)
Rin - cold, severe (obviously the child was named incorrectly because she is anything but)