InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Miko's Instincts ❯ A Miko's Instincts Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Miko's Instincts Chapter 1
By Majicman
 
 
Disclaimer: No, I certainly do not own any of the characters in InuYasha.
 
 
“All quiet,” thought InuYasha as he surveyed the forest in which the small group of shard hunters had chosen to spend the night. He looked down from his perch to the small clearing where everyone slept under his protection.
 
There was the taijjya, sleeping a little fitfully…no doubt dreaming of her brother, Kohaku. Kirara slept near her with Shippou curled up to the fire neko for warmth. And the monk? InuYasha chuckled. Again the monk had shifted closer to Sango. InuYasha wondered whether there was such a thing as sleep-groping and decided to let nature take its course to find out. At least it would be entertaining.
 
Across the fire from them all was Kagome. She was dreaming, too. InuYasha inhaled her scent: certainly not unpleasant. He breathed in and found it almost intoxicating. His amber eyes lost focus, he leaned forward on his branch, straining to get closer…closer to…
 
<THUD>
 
He couldn't believe it. He had actually fallen out of his tree!
 
Fortunately, everyone remained sleeping. Neither demon nor hanyou took embarrassment well and he blushed slightly as he thought of the teasing he might have had to endure.
 
“Keh,” he thought. “At least I landed close to Kagome. Maybe I can tell what she's dreaming about.”
 
The hanyou crept closer to the sleeping miko. She was on her back now and apparently was still having the same dream.
 
InuYasha picked up her scent more strongly, but was on his guard so he wouldn't be overpowered again. Even so, he found it hard to resist. Without thinking he found himself edging closer and closer.
 
Kagome was talking in her sleep! InuYasha could not quite make out her words, so he hovered over her with his ear next to her lips. Then, suddenly, she did something that startled the hanyou: she reached out for him! “It's like she's putting her arms around someone. A lover? InuYasha's eyes narrowed as a low growl escaped him. He quickly slapped one hand over his mouth.
 
“Did she hear me? But Kagome only giggled and kept sleeping.
 
InuYasha relaxed and looked down and away from the girl, but then he heard something that caused him to tense up again.
 
Kissing sounds. He looked up at Kagome, who had her arms held to her chest as though she were holding onto someone very dear to her, and she was kissing him with real passion!
 
The spike in Kagome's scent almost overwhelmed him. Instead of staying in his usual sure-footed crouch, he found himself rocking back and forth…just like he had before falling out of his tree.
 
Who? Who could inspire this much passion out of his Kagome?
 
“Did I really think that? MY Kagome?” But I'm promised to Kikyo. I have to go to hell with Kikyo after Naraku's defeated. And, anyway, even if he did have strong feelings for Kagome, he couldn't ask her to suffer through life with a lowly hanyou. No, it was better to do the noble thing and go to hell with Kikyo.
 
As InuYasha's resolve took hold, he stopped rocking and looked at Kagome with clear eyes again. “Don't you know,” he whispered, “I must go with Kikyo. I do it for you.”
 
Kagome groaned. It was as if she had just realized there was no one in her arms. She started to cry.
 
InuYasha knew that he shouldn't stay. If she woke up, there would be questions. But he could never stand the smell of her tears. As gently as he could, he soothed her by stroking her hair.
 
“Shhh, Kagome. Rest peacefully.” He was careful not to wake her. He sighed. “You shall have your lover.” Kagome smiled. “But it won't be me.” Kagome frowned. “I cannot ask you to share the life of a lowly hanyou. Besides, I am promised to Kikyo.” Kagome's tears started again.
 
InuYasha's sharp ears picked up a stirring on the other side of the campfire. It was Miroku. InuYasha had no desire to endure the endless teasing of that lecherous monk.
 
“I'm sorry, Kagome. I must leave you now.”
 
As InuYasha looked to see if the monk was up yet, he missed the pink glow that had begun surrounding the miko. Kagome was still dreaming. Kikyo had just opened a portal to hell. She heard InuYasha say, “I'm sorry, Kagome. I must leave you now.”
 
She watched in horror as Kikyo dragged InuYasha to hell with her.
 
The pink glow surrounding Kagome brightened a hundredfold. The whole clearing lit up. InuYasha snapped back to face Kagome. He couldn't actually see her clearly as the glow was too strong. As he leaned in to see if the girl was alright, he felt two arms gently taking hold of him, pulling him forward.
 
He gasped when he felt himself held tightly to Kagome. His mind reeled from another sharp spike in her scent. Before he knew what was happening, the pink glow suffused him. It felt warm. Then he realized it was Kagome's warmth…and it was so strong that it was almost scary! He had vague memories of his mother's warmth, but this was different.
 
There was a quality to it that brought to the surface strong feelings he had kept deeply hidden. It was almost as if…as if…
 
His eyes closed as he rejected the thought.
 
“This cannot be. She is asleep. She does not know what she's doing. She dreams of her lover. I am just a poor substitute.”
 
He felt her draw him closer. Her arousal peaked and it made him dizzy with desire.
 
His lips brushed against Kagome's. I can't do this,” he thought, but he didn't stop, either. Her lips were impossibly soft and yielding. A moan escaped both InuYasha and Kagome as she pulled him tightly into her embrace.
 
“No! I cannot take advantage of her this way!” InuYasha broke the kiss. “She doesn't want me. She wants…”
 
“Inu…Yasha,” Kagome whispered, “Why do you stop, koishi?”
 
The hanyou froze. Koishi? In her dream, she calls me dearest?”
 
Just then a voice came from the other side of the clearing. “Why, InuYasha! Exactly what are you doing?”
 
Suddenly, InuYasha could see again. Both the damned monk and the taijiya were staring at him.
 
When he looked back at Kagome, she was staring at him.
 
InuYasha jumped off Kagome. Both InuYasha and Kagome were as red as InuYasha's haori.
 
“Osuwari!”
 
“Aaagh!”
 
“Osuwari! Osuwari! Osuwari! Osuwari!”
 
 
******************
 
 
Later, after a quick and extremely awkward breakfast, Kagome declared that she and Sango were going to the nearby hot spring. InuYasha didn't try to stop her. He wanted to talk with Miroku.
 
“I have a theory, InuYasha,” said the monk.
 
“Oh yeah? And what would that be?”
 
“Kagome's miko powers are untrained and manifest themselves when she feels threatened. I saw you whisper to her. Did you say anything that might have upset Kagome before all…ahem…that happened?”
 
InuYasha didn't want to reveal everything. “I reminded her that I was promised to Kikyo…and when I thought you and Sango were waking up, I said that I was sorry, but I had to leave. But she was asleep!”
 
“I see.” The monk brought his staff down upon InuYasha's head.
 
“Ow! What was that for?”
 
“Baka. She heard you in her sleep. Your words got into her dream. She probably thought Kikyo was dragging you to hell.”
 
“But why would that bring out her miko powers?”
 
“Let's just say it was instincts. Miko instincts.” Miroku turned and started on his way to find a hiding place near the hot spring.
 
“Miroku! Get back here, you pervert!”
 
“Ah, but I must follow my instincts, InuYasha.”
 
“Come back here!”