InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Miko's Instincts ❯ A Miko's Instincts Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Miko's Instincts Chapter 5
By Majicman
 
 
Disclaimer: No, I certainly do not own any of the characters in InuYasha. Wish I did, but I don't.
 
 
“What do you mean, she left?” growled InuYasha.
 
“She borrowed Kirara and flew back to see Kaede,” explained Sango.
 
Miroku walked up to Sango and InuYasha with Shippo perched on his shoulder. Miroku didn't know for sure why Shippo hung around with him when Kagome wasn't around, but he had a theory. InuYasha was always hitting Shippo over the head. Sango was always hitting Miroku over the head.
 
Obviously Shippo identified with him.
 
“You said something mean to her, InuYasha!” wailed Shippo.
 
“Maybe you should give her a little time, InuYasha,” argued Sango.
 
Miroku sighed. At least he could offer his wisdom.
 
“It has been my experience, InuYasha, that upsetting the fairer sex is often counterproductive.”
 
At least this brought silence to the group.
 
“Upsetting a woman…
 
Oddly, the monk felt a burning sensation in the back of his neck.
 
“…especially a woman who cares deeply for you…”
 
Yes, there was definitely a burning sensation.
 
“…can lead to…”
 
Wasn't Sango back there?
 
“severe repurcus…”
 
<WHAP>
 
“If you hadn't done it, I was gonna,” said InuYasha.
 
“Won't you consider giving her a break, InuYasha?” pleaded Sango.
 
“No chance! She's coming back here with me!”
 
 
Meanwhile Kagome had arrived at the village. She was still fighting back the tears and the guilt. The stress of knowing that InuYasha knew all her feelings about him was causing her compensate by snapping at the hanyou…something she definitely didn't want to do.
 
There just had to be something Kaede could do to help.
 
Kagome finally reached Kaede's hut. The elder miko was carrying a basket of medicinal herbs back to her home when Kirara landed just behind her, Kagome jumped off and came close to barrel-rolling the poor woman through her door.
 
“You have to help me! Kaede! It's InuYasha! You have to help me!”
 
Kaede recovered her balance and examined the damage. Medicinal herbs all over the place…and the young miko was stepping on half of them as she danced about. Kaede was not happy.
 
“Collect yourself, child. What about InuYasha? Has he turned into a full demon? Is he killing everyone in his path?”
 
“No,” cried Kagome. Suddenly she stopped and looked around. Satisfying herself that there were no prying eyes nor snooping ears, she continued, “It's worse. He can smell when I'm...aroused.”
 
Kaede was bemused. “And ye have just figured that out?”
 
“You knew about this?”
 
“It's common knowledge, child. You knew he could smell your tears and your fear. What made you think he couldn't smell…”
 
“Oh, kami. Kami!”
 
“I can see this greatly troubles ye, child.”
 
Kagome sniffled. “I guess I've sort of known. It's just that something happened. Kaede? I kissed him.”
 
“Oh. I see.”
 
“Not just any kiss, but a full-blown, miko's-aura-bright-as-daylight, passionate death-grip kiss.”
 
Kaede was fanning herself rapidly. “Oh my!”
 
“Are you alright, Kaede?”
 
Kagome went on to tell Kaede about the circumstances of the kiss, what she remembered about her dream, and even about how she discovered InuYasha had been peeping at her at the hot spring.
 
“Do you have any questions,” finished Kagome.
 
“So is InuYasha a good kisser?”
“Really good, actually. I felt like I was…KAEDE!”
 
“These may be old bones, child, but they're not old dead bones.”
 
Kagome looked at the elder miko slightly sideways.
 
“Take it easy, Kagome. I guess you could say I had a child's crush on your hanyou. I remember visiting him many times while he was pinned to the God Tree.”
 
“You did?”
 
“Oh yes, child. Remember, InuYasha did not age while I grew to be a young maiden. A very curious young maiden. I, too, crawled up to the hanyou pinned to the tree. I, too, rubbed his ears.”
 
“That's so sweet,” said Kagome.
 
“I, too, looked up his…”
 
“KAEDE!”
 
“Well, don't tell me you weren't at least tempted.”
 
“I…”
 
Kagome blushed deeper than ever and looked down as if trying to bore a hole in the floor of Kaede's hut.
 
“I thought about it. But I didn't do it!”
 
“Well, don't worry, child. Ye won't be disappointed.”
 
“KAEDE!!!”
 
The old miko remained calm. “So, how can I help ye?”
 
Kagome sighed. “It's like this. InuYasha and I have had an unspoken agreement that I would allow him to work out his feelings about Kikyo without interference from me.”
 
“I see.”
 
“And now…especially after that kiss…it's like that hanyou nose of his has gone super-sensitive. To me, at least.”
 
“Ahh.”
 
“If I look at him, if I think about him, if I dream about him, he picks it up right away. And now he's using it against me!”
 
“How so, child?”
 
“I was going to sit him for being mean to Shippo. He gave me this smile…and I just sort of went all…oh, Kaede! And then I had to get away so I dragged Sango to a nearby hot spring…and that's when I discovered Miroku and InuYasha were peeping at us!”
 
“I see.”
 
“Well, he certainly did.” Kagome blushed again. “But the point is, how can I face him when I know that he knows that I know that he knows that…”
 
“Stop it, child. You're giving me a headache.”
 
“Yeah, it did me, too. Anyway, Kaede, you've got to help!”
 
 
InuYasha was drawing closer to the village. It was getting close to evening and he thought he could pick out smoke from cooking fires.
 
Suddenly he caught a glimpse of Kikyo's Shinidama Chuu swarming around a small clearing not too far from the village. Although at the moment he didn't feel much like seeing his girlfriend from fifty years before, he did remember his promise to protect and avenge her and changed course to see if Kikyo needed protecting.
 
When he arrived at the small clearing, he found Kikyo sitting against a tree…her soul collectors depositing their catches to be absorbed by her.
 
“Greetings, Kikyo,” said InuYasha.
 
“Why so formal, today, InuYasha?”
 
Kikyo gave little grunts and groans each time a soul was absorbed.
 
“Are you in pain, Kikyo?” asked the concerned hanyou.
 
Kikyo gave InuYasha a look of extreme annoyance. “This is not easy, being kept alive like this, InuYasha.”
 
“I have sworn that I will avenge you, Kikyo.”
 
Kikyo groaned, then sighed. “It's not that, InuYasha. It's these damned Shinidama Chuu of mine. Bring back the souls of dead young girls, I tell them. Do they listen?”
 
Kikyo groaned again. “That soul? That was a 42-year-old woman who had to weigh 300 pounds and still worked as a geisha. You think it's fun absorbing that?”
 
“I didn't know.”
 
“Last week one of them brought me the soul of a spiritually-powerful lesbian. I followed Kagura around for a week.”
 
“Oi.”
 
“Now, if you were to help them bring me back the soul of…oh…say, Kagome…”
 
“Oh yeah. That's who I was going to see.”
 
“InuYasha?”
 
“Oi, I've gotta go,” the hanyou managed to croak out.
 
“Just imagine. You and I could make love…”
 
InuYasha stopped in mid-step. He curled into a squatting fetal position. His shoulders started to tremble. His body began to rock uncontrollably. His eyes glazed over, then filled with tears.
 
He rocked. He rocked.
 
 
In Kaede's hut in the nearby village, Kagome felt something, then gasped.
 
“I think I feel him, Kaede. I…I feel InuYasha. He's nearby, and he's in trouble.”
 
“Come on, child. Grab your bow and arrows and let's go.”
 
“Maybe this ability to sense feelings goes both ways,” thought Kagome as she followed Kaede out the door. “But why do I feel like I've got the willies?”