InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Miko's Instincts ❯ A Miko's Instincts Chapter 18 ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Miko's Instincts Chapter 18
By Majicman
 
 
Disclaimer: No, I certainly do not own any of the characters in InuYasha. I do enjoy playing with `em, though.
 
 
“What is it like, Mama?”
 
“What is what like, Kagome?” replied Mama Higurashi.
 
“Pregnancy.”
 
Kagome's mother poured tea for both of them, sat down across from her daughter, sighed…and then smiled. “I guess I've never told the story of how I got pregnant with you.”
 
“Look at the time,” said Kagome. “I really have to get back to…”
 
“They were having a festival at the shrine and I was your father's fiancé, so of course I was here. Your grandmother was alive then, and she and your grandfather and your father and I enjoyed some sake after everyone else left.”
 
“Mama! You're not saying I was conceived because you and dad were drunk, are you?”
 
“Oh no. A little tipsy, yes, but not drunk.” Mama Higurashi continued, “Your grandparents thought I should stay here until I was in a more fit condition to drive and your father kindly offered to sit with me under the Goshimboku tree till I felt better. Anyway, after your grandparents went inside, your father and I snuck into the well house for more privacy.” Mama Higurashi paused. “Did you know there was a cover on the well in those days?”
 
“No, mama.”
 
“Your father used some old blankets that were in the well house to make a sort of bed for us on top of that cover. Then…”
 
“You know, Mama,” said Kagome. “Kids generally don't want to know these things.”
 
“Oh…of course.” Mama Higurashi blushed a little. “I'll skip most of the `sordid' details.”
 
“Thanks.”
 
“You were conceived because your grandfather discovered us.”
 
“Huh?”
 
“He found us in the well house. Your father was…on top…and your grandfather started whacking your father's bare butt with a broom.”
 
Kagome stared at her mother.
 
“I can remember it like it was yesterday. Your father kept trying to extricated himself and there was your grandfather swinging that broom. `You - WHACK - will - WHACK - stop - WHACK - that - WHACK - right - WHACK - now!' And then there was one more `whack'…and you were conceived.”
 
“Mama!”
 
“One month later we were married, eight months later you were born. We just told everyone you were a `honeymoon baby.'”
 
Kagome was desperate to change the subject. “Miroku and Sango are getting married in about a month.”
 
“That's nice. I'm glad for them.”
 
“InuYasha and I are already mates, but we're getting married, too. We thought we'd make it a double wedding.”
 
Mama Higurashi smiled. “Do you need anything? We could make a list and go shopping together.” Mama Higurashi brightened. She reached over and took Kagome's hand. “My little girl is getting married.”
 
 
 
Naraku was in a foul mood. “It's good of you to grace us with your appearance, Kikyo.”
 
“Naraku.” Kikyo was worried by the sarcastic tone to Naraku's voice.
 
“My dear Kikyo,” Naraku continued. “Why is InuYasha's wench still alive…and why is Kagura now consorting with the enemy?”
 
“I want Kagome dead as much as you do.”
 
A tentacle shot out from Naraku and wrapped around Kikyo's neck. Immediately, a purple glow emanated from the undead miko and sparked along it's length, then crackled away into nothingness.
 
The tentacle remained.
 
“I don't think you're as pure as you once were, Kikyo,” said Naraku. “In fact, I don't think you could purify a fly.” The evil hanyou's tentacle pulled the undead miko forward so he could look her in the eyes. “Now…you will tell me…everything.”
 
 
 
Miroku and some men of the village were working on a hut for Sango and himself. “What do you think, Sango? How many rooms shall we have? Enough for ten? Twenty?”
 
For the first time in weeks, Sango used Hiraikotsu on Miroku's head.
“I think there's enough empty space in there for the whole village.” She walked off to find Kagome.
 
Miroku staggered back to help with construction. “Better make it room for ten, guys.”
 
 
 
Sango found Kagome walking with Kaede, on her way home from hunting herbs. “Look at this, Sango. This one's good for morning sickness.”
 
“That's nice, Kagome,” answered Sango, “but you remember that we were going to do some planning on how to get the guys back, right?”
 
“Yeah…”
 
“I'm ready to plan.”
 
 
 
“And you say it's where?” said Naraku.
 
Kikyo shook with rage and embarrassment. She looked away while she pointed to where the duck's egg was.
 
“And it does what when you get close to Kagome?”
 
“It vibrates.”
 
“What?”
 
“It VIBRATES.”
 
“Till you…”
 
“I'm not repeating myself.”
 
“Ku-ku-ku-ku-ku,” laughed Naraku. “It's almost worth losing Kagura.”
 
“Laugh all you want, Naraku, but don't think it will get you any closer to killing Kagome.”
 
“No, Kikyo,” answered Naraku. “It will.”
 
Kikyo glared at Naraku.
 
“It is you who will get me closer to Kagome,” chuckled Naraku. “Ironic, isn't it? All that time Kagome thought she was just InuYasha's shard detector. Now you're going to be my `Kagome detector.'”
 
Kikyo looked at Naraku in abject horror.
 
“Now come with me. I have some…one…I want you to meet.”
 
 
 
Kagome hauled her overstuffed backpack into the well house and leaned it against the side of the well. For the first time in a while, it made her feel a little creepy to be there. She walked to the back of the well house and there it was just as she remembered it…a pile of old boards that she now recognized as the old well cover.
 
She reached out and touched one of the boards, then drew her hand back immediately. It was just too weird. She returned to the well, picked up her pack and jumped into the time slip.
 
There were the red, blue and green lights waiting for her. “Children,” she thought. “Mommy's home.” She felt a pleasant shudder and smiled each time one of the lights reentered her. After they were all back inside her, she floated gently to the floor of the well back in the feudal era. She looked up and started climbing.
 
“Don't you dare!”
 
“InuYasha?”
 
A red blur topped with silver flashed down to join her. “You will let me carry you out of here.”
 
“Oh, come on, InuYasha. I'm not that delicate.”
 
InuYasha picked his mate up bridal style and leaped out of the well to where Miroku and Sango were waiting. “Now wait here a moment while I get that backpack of yours.”
 
On the way back to the village, Kagome gave Sango the high sign, then turned to her mate. “InuYasha?”
 
“Feh. What?” InuYasha answered nervously. Kagome only used that tone of voice when she wanted something.
 
“I was wondering. I've been having a craving for that fish you caught for us after you killed that gopher youkai.”
 
“B-But that's miles from here. It would take half a day at top speed…”
 
Kagome clapped her hands together and smiled. “Ooh! I just knew you'd do it for me!”
 
“Keh. But…'
 
Kagome turned and winked at Sango. The demon slayer was quick on the uptake.
 
“Oh, Miroku?”
 
“Yes, Sango, my dear?”
 
“I'm having a craving, too.”
 
“You want some fish, too, Sango?”
 
“Oh, no. Some berries. I have to have some berries that grow in a spot about halfway to my old village.”
 
“But...”
 
“Ha, bouzu,” said InuYasha. “Looks like you'll be taking a trip, too.”
 
 
 
Naraku led Kikyo down the steps to the lowest level of his dungeon.
 
“What is that smell?” asked Kikyo.
 
“Ah. That is the special someone I wanted you to meet.” Naraku led Kikyo to a special cell which held what could only be termed an abomination. “Kikyo…meet Akushuu.”
 
The demon in the cell had no definite form except that it had two arms, two legs and a head. Small pieces of itself were constantly sloughing off and sliding down into a drain hole in the middle of the cell. The stink rising off the youkai's body was so thick that the air above it seemed to shimmer.
 
Kikyo almost gagged.
 
“Akushuu is my latest incarnation. You wanted something more than a duck demon?” Naraku sneered. “Here is what you get.”
 
“What did you do? Pull this thing out of your…”
 
“Akushuu!” Naraku shouted.
 
Akushuu's arm elongated and his hand grasped Kikyo's neck. “You will not speak to father that way.”
 
“I…I understand.”
 
“Good,” said Naraku. “I have promised Akushuu his freedom if he succeeds in killing InuYasha's wench. And you're going to lead him to his quarry…right, my little Kagome detector?” Naraku opened the cell door and Akushuu dropped her to the floor so he could pull his arm back and walk out of his cage.
 
Kikyo gasped. “Right, Naraku.” She thought, “That's what I get for working with Naraku. Now I have to put up with his…”
 
Naraku's eyes narrowed. “You will get going…now.”
 
 
 
“Now that the boys are gone,” said Sango, “you will tell me what `evil' plan you're working on.”
 
“Why, Sango,” said Kagome. “Are you saying I'm evil?
 
Both girls laughed.
 
“Come with me, Sango. We have to talk with the mothers in the village, and on the way I will explain a concept called `day care.'”
 
 
 
Some time later the boys returned; InuYasha with the fish and Miroku, on Kirara, with the berries. Both girls smiled and applauded, took the fish and berries, and dashed off to InuYasha and Kagome's hut to make lunch. After the food was ready, they practically hand fed their mates.
 
“Keh! What is this? I can feed myself.”
 
“Speak for yourself, InuYasha,” said Miroku, who had his head in Sango's lap and opened his mouth for her to drop in another berry. “Mmm-mmmm. I could get used to this.” The monk swallowed the fruit and pulled Sango's head down for a quick kiss. “I can't decide which is sweeter.”
 
“Awww,” said Kagome.
 
“Feh.”
 
It was at that moment that they heard a woman's voice calling from outside their hut. Kagome got up, stepped outside for a moment, and then returned carrying a bundle.
 
“What's that?” asked InuYasha.
 
The bundle was cooing as Kagome whispered to it. “Pretty baby. Pretty baby.”
 
“A baby?”
 
“Yeah,” said Kagome. “The mother asked us to watch it for a while.”
 
“Us?” said InuYasha.
 
“Well, yeah,” said Kagome. “I like the idea. It'll help you get used to being a father.”
 
“I dunno.”
 
Another woman's voice was heard outside the hut. This time Sango got up, exited the hut and returned carrying another bundle.
 
“Another baby?” said Miroku, raising one eyebrow.
 
“Looks that way,” said Sango, handing the baby to Miroku. “Here, you need to learn how to be a father, too.”
 
“Good idea, Sango,” said Kagome, handing the baby she was holding to InuYasha.
 
More women were heard outside the hut and both Kagome and Sango left the hut…only to return with more babies. They set the babies down with InuYasha and Miroku, only to go outside to gather more babies.
 
Both InuYasha and Miroku were too busy to say anything. They were now watching over a dozen babies who were now beginning to wake each other. Kagome and Sango were talking with the mothers.
 
Kagome poked her head back in the door. “The mother's say they'll be back in time for their babies' next feeding. Be dears and keep an eye on them till then, would ya?”
 
Sango looked in. “Kagome and I are going to take a nice, relaxing bath in the hot spring. We'll be back in a couple of hours.”
 
“Bye,” said both Kagome and Sango cheerfully.
 
“I think we've been had, InuYasha,” said Miroku.
 
“I think you're right, bouzu.”
 
Kagome poked her head in one last time. “Oh, and InuYasha? If they get to be too much, you can always hang your haori outside the door. Shippo will come tell us and Sango and I will think about coming back to help. See ya!”
 
Miroku was cringing in the corner.
 
“This is your fault, monk,” growled InuYasha.
 
“Mind the children,” answered Miroku.
 
 
“Did the mothers give their babies that special herb you gave them?” asked the taijiya.
 
“Yeah,” answered Kagome. “It won't hurt `em a bit, but I wouldn't want to be around when those diapers need changed.” When Sango looked at her friend, Kagome was smiling and pinching her nose.
 
Sango laughed. “I feel like taking my time for our bath.”
 
“Me, too.”
 
 
Kikyo and Akushuu were approaching Kaede's village. It was the logical place to start looking for Kagome.
 
The undead miko paused.
 
“What is it, priestess?” asked Akushuu. Are we nearing Kagome?”
 
Kikyo felt a vibration from the duck's egg. She turned slowly till she found the direction that caused the strongest reaction. Kikyo's breathing became shallower and more eratic. A fine sweat started to appear over her features.
 
“She…she is near.”
 
 
 
A/N: Again, thank you for reviews and comments.
 
I did have a few comments that I might have gone a little far with the sexual jokes, so I have backed off a little. It's a natural tendency to try to top yourself with each chapter, and this can lead to things getting a little out of hand. Guilty as charged.
 
One of you referred to me as the “Weird Al Yankovich” of InuYasha fan fiction. That's okay, but please don't ask me to sing.
 
I've had to promise to write no more than two chapters a week, but I admit to being susceptible to ego-stroking. As always, please read and review. Thanks again!