InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Miko's Instincts ❯ A Miko's Insincts Chapter 17 ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Miko's Instincts Chapter 17
By Majicman
 
 
Disclaimer: No, I certainly do not own any of the characters in InuYasha. I do enjoy playing with `em, though.
 
 
It was a beautiful morning in the Sengoku Jidai and Kagome was doing her best in a losing cause: trying to get up without waking her mate. This was difficult because InuYasha was both possessive and protective and insisted on sleeping with her in his arms…which was fine with her most of the time, but a problem when she wanted to be nice and get an early start on breakfast for everyone.
 
Fortunately, she was a resourceful girl and had a plan. Very carefully she reached down into the bag and found her hastily-removed underwear from the other night. She held them next to InuYasha's nose and giggled quietly when he sniffed. She gradually moved them behind the hanyou and, sure enough, he rolled over, following the scent. “Yes!” she thought as she slipped out of the bag.
 
She was dressed in under a minute - a talent you picked up if you wanted to survive travel through dangerous country - and decided to take a peek to see if Sango was stirring.
 
“Sango,” she whispered. “Are you awake?”
 
“Hai.” It was difficult to tell in the early morning light, but it looked like the taijiya was blushing. “I need a little help.”
 
“What? Oh, I see.” Kagome started untying Sango's wrists. “How'd you ever let Miroku get you in this position?” she giggled.
 
It was definite: Sango was blushing. “When he woke me, I was already tied down.
 
“But that would mean…” Kagome paused and looked at the blanket wall between their sleeping places. Sure enough, InuYasha's haori was draped over the wall. “That little sneak.”
 
“What is it, Kagome?” asked Sango.
 
“Miroku asked InuYasha to hang his haori where he could see it anytime we were gonna…you know.”
 
Comprehension came into Sango's eyes. “Oh…oh.”
 
“Come with me to freshen up, Sango. We have some planning to do. Then we'll make these two jokers some breakfast.”
 
“And then?” said Sango.
 
“And then we act normally till we're ready to spring our trap.”
 
 
“Momma!” yelled Shippo as Kagome and the rest of the gang approached the village. The little kitsune dashed up to his adopted mother and took a giant leap towards her arms…only to be caught by an angry hanyou.
 
“What did I tell you about that, runt?”
 
Shippo twisted and turned in InuYasha's grasp, but finally settled down. He sighed. “I should let Kagome pick me up if she feels like it but I shouldn't jump on her.”
 
“That's right.”
 
Then, to everyone's amazement, InuYasha put Shippo down without a single thump on the head.
 
“I'm impressed, InuYasha,” said Kagome. “You didn't hit Shippo even once. Very good.”
 
“I've gotta practice to be a dad, don't I?”
 
Kagome smiled up at him.
 
“Besides, it'll drive the runt crazy.”
 
Kagome frowned. “InuYasha…”
 
“And if he does it again…” InuYasha brought his fist down on his open palm with a loud smack.
 
“InuYasha!”
 
Behind the couple, Shippo was sitting on the ground talking to himself. “He always hits me…but he didn't hit me…but he always… What's he up to?” Suddenly he realized he was alone. “Guys!”
 
 
“Kaede!” called out Kagome.
 
Kaede looked up from her gardening. “Welcome back, all of ye. Did ye get the shard?”
 
Kagome blushed. “Well, as to that…”
 
InuYasha stepped up. “We didn't get it, but we know where it is.”
 
“InuYasha's right,” said Miroku. “We know where it is.”
 
Sango didn't say anything, but was blushing furiously.
 
“Lady Kaede,” said Miroku. “I need to talk with you about arranging a wedding.”
 
Sango smiled and moved closer to the monk.
 
“Aye, I know. I am glad ye are willing to do the right thing.”
 
“You know?”
 
“Aye. When you sent Shippo back on Kirara, he told me,” answered Kaede. “Ye can join the line.”
 
“Huh?”
 
“Since ye all left, I have had a host of young men and women of the village asking me about weddings.” Kaede looked to Kagome and InuYasha. “Thanks to your influence, I should say.”
 
Kagome blushed. InuYasha kicked at a rock.
 
“I suspect that yours and Sango's pregnancies aren't the only ones. Many others will be showing up soon, no doubt.” Kaede took Kagome aside. “Ye do realize that assisting with childbirth is one of a miko's most sacred duties, right Kagome?”
 
“Y-Yes, Kaede.”
 
“Then ye shall have no problem assisting this old miko.”
 
“No, Kaede. Of course I'll help.”
 
“Now, ye and InuYasha will accompany me.” The elder miko led them to a building site a short distance from the village. “This will be your new home.”
 
InuYasha and Kagome's mouths dropped open.
 
“For us, Kaede?” said Kagome.
 
“Oi,” said InuYasha. “No one's ever done anything this nice for me.”
 
“Aye,” answered Kaede. Every father of every unmarried girl in the village has been working on it day and night.”
 
“Oh,” said both Kagome and InuYasha.
 
“Ye shall notice that it's over a hundred feet from the village.”
 
“We'll…we'll make sure we wear our charms,” said Kagome.
 
“I'm glad ye understand.”
 
 
It had been over two weeks since the Inu gang's return to the village and there had been no rumors of jewel shards. Kagome had spent much of the time with Kaede learning miko techniques for assisting with childbirth…which were surprisingly understanding of the process. She even learned how to use her miko powers to help the baby turn the right direction for delivery, and how to make sure the umbilical cord wasn't tangled around the baby's neck.
 
Kaede developed enough confidence in Kagome to allow her to assist in a delivery and the younger miko acquitted herself well.
 
In the meantime, Kagome made a number of trips back to her era to catch up on schoolwork. When she returned, red, blue and green lights were waiting for her and she watched as one by one they sank back into her. As each one entered her, she shuddered and smiled. As each one entered, she felt, rather than heard, the word “mommy.”
 
As always, InuYasha was waiting for her when she reappeared in the well. He jumped down to her, picked her up and jumped back out.
 
“You don't have to do that, InuYasha.”
 
“I want to.”
 
“What's that smell, InuYasha?”
 
“Oh, I had to kill a demon on the way over here. I guess I didn't get all its guts off…”
 
<BLLLEEEEECCCHHHHH>
 
“…me.”
 
“Urrppp. Sorry about your haori, InuYasha.”
 
InuYasha stared at Kagome.
 
“Morning sickness.”
 
 
About a week later, Sango came down with it too.
 
“Don't worry about it, Miroku,” said Kagome. “It's normal. For kami's sake, you've seen me with it all week.”
 
“So you're sure she's alright, Lade Kagome,” said Miroku. “She threw up first thing this morning. Then she threw up again when…”
 
“I'm sure, Miroku,” said Kagome, who by this time was looking a little green around the gills herself.
 
“Oi, monk,” said InuYasha. “If you make Kagome sick by describing how Sango's been throwing up Kaede's stew all over…”
 
<BLLLEEEEECCCHHHHH>
 
“Sorry about your haori, InuYasha,” burbled out Kagome.
 
“Bouzu!” shouted InuYasha as he stood up glaring at the monk.
 
“But, InuYasha,” said Miroku, backing out of the hut. “You made her sick, yourself.” Miroku started running.
 
“Get back here, monk!” yelled InuYasha as he held out the affected part of his haori. “You're gonna clean this for me!”
 
<BLLLEEEEECCCHHHHH>
 
“Not again.”
 
 
“So you failed,” said Naraku.
 
“It wasn't my fault,” hissed Kikyo. She hated Naraku, but he would be useful in getting rid of Kagome. Then she would get rid of him.
 
“Where's the shard I gave you?”
 
Kikyo grimaced. She didn't want to tell Naraku where it was. “It's in a safe place. You'll get it back. Don't worry.” If she could kill Kagome, the spell would be broken and she could remove the duck's egg with the shard. But how to do it?
 
“I'd better get it.”
 
“You will. Believe me, you will.” She frowned. At least there was one way to divert Naraku's attention. “Anyway, Naraku, how did you expect me to kill Kagome when all you sent me was a small shard and a duck demon?”
 
Naraku's smile was enough to chill one's blood. “It was a large duck.”
 
“A three-foot duck.”
 
“That's large.”
 
“For a duck, yes.”
 
“And it was a five-foot duck after I had my Saimyoushou sting it.”
 
“Yes, from the swelling.”
 
“You don't think a five-foot swollen duck demon is scary?”
 
“Whatever you say, Naraku.”
 
“So, what do you propose to do now, Kikyo?” asked Naraku, his eyes narrowing. “How do you propose to redeem yourself?”
 
 
The Inu gang and Kaede were having lunch when there was a commotion on one side of the village.
 
InuYasha took a deep sniff. “What's he doing here?”
 
“Who, InuYasha?”
 
“Sesshomaru.”
 
Sesshomaru and Kagura walked through the village towards the Inu gang. Nervous villagers, weapons in hand, watched them, but dared not attack. Sesshomaru ignored them. Kagura simply remained close to his side.
 
“Brother,” Sesshomaru acknowledged InuYasha.
 
InuYasha raised an eyebrow. Sesshomaru had never been this civil to him and he wasn't quite sure if he could trust him. He calmed down, but kept his hand on Tetsusaiga. It was then he noticed Kagura, sniffed and smiled.
 
“You, too, brother?”
 
Sesshomaru smiled back, which was actually rather scary. “Yes, little brother. Kagura and I are mated.”
 
“So, why are you here?”
 
“I must ask you to examine our marks.”
 
“What?”
 
“Since I…we…have no father and I have no elder brother…”
 
“I see.”
 
“Is she pregnant, InuYasha?” whispered Kagome.
 
“Oh yeah,” InuYasha whispered back, then grinned. “Now, watch me make the bastard sweat.”
 
“InuYasha! Examine their marks!”
 
“Okay, okay. You never let me have any fun anymore.”
 
InuYasha examined the Kanji on Kagura's neck first. “It appears to say `Divine Wind.” InuYasha turned to his older brother. “Where'd you come up with that one?”
 
Kagura grinned. “The wind doesn't just blow,” she whispered
 
InuYasha's eyes got big. Then he grinned, too. “You're next, bastard.” He approached his brother cautiously and Sesshomaru revealed the Kanji on his neck. “Great Lord?” InuYasha read and started to snigger.
 
“What's wrong with my Kanji?” boomed Sesshomaru.
 
“Yeah, what's wrong with it?” asked Kagome.
 
“Well,” said InuYasha, chuckling, “in this context, it can also mean `large.'”
 
“Ah,” said Sesshomaru.
 
“As in…” said InuYasha.
 
“We get it!” everyone else yelled.
 
“Do you feel inferior, little brother?”
 
“Who you callin' little?” snapped InuYasha.
 
“Oh, he's big. I'll vouch for that,” said Kagura, who was never known for being shy.
 
“InuYasha's big, too!” blurted out Kagome. She then turned bright red. “I'll just go inside our hut and die now.”
 
“No, you stay here, Kagome!” yelled InuYasha. “You and Kagura will be judges.” He turned back to Sesshomaru. “Okay, brother. Get it out, right here, right now!”
 
Kagome was turning a brighter red by the second.
 
Kaede grasped Shippo's hand and said, “Come. They are acting foolish and ye are too young for this.”
 
Sango was blushing into Miroku's shoulder. “I'll tell you when it's over, my dear Sango,” said the monk.
 
Both Sesshomaru and InuYasha were fiddling with their garments.
 
“Sesshomaru, stop it!” Kagome yelled. “InuYasha…sit!”
 
“Aaaaggghhhh!”
 
<THUMP>
 
Sesshomaru stopped, looked at the Kagome and smiled. “Actually, the only reason this Sesshomaru went along with this nonsense was to see that. Thank you, Kagome.”
 
Kagome glared at Sesshomaru as InuYasha slowly recovered from her subduing spell. “You're not off the hook, Fluffy.”
 
“Do not call me that!”
 
“How would you like to be purified, right here, right now?”
 
“You wouldn't dare.”
 
“Try me.”
 
 
A minute later, the boys were standing together while the girls were standing away from them. Sango had joined Kagome and Kagura and the three were engaging in an animated conversation.
 
“What are they doing?” asked Miroku.
 
Kagome was piling one fist on the other, then moving the lower fist to the top. As she did it, Kagura was smiling and doing the same thing. Sango was fidgeting nervously, but had joined in with the fist thing, stopping one short of the other two.
 
“You don't wanna know,” said InuYasha.
 
Kagura took one of her fingers and seemed to be marking off a width on it. Kagome followed by doing the same thing. Sango blushed, but showed her measurement, which was a little bigger. Kagome and Kagura looked at Miroku, then back at Sango. All three girls started giggling.
 
“What now, InuYasha?”
 
Sesshomaru spoke. “They're saying you have a thick…”
 
“Shut up, Sesshomaru!” exclaimed InuYasha.
 
 
Back at his castle, Naraku was watching the scene through the eyes of one of his Saimyoushou. What were those girls doing? (And why was Kagura with them? He'd have to grill Kikyo about that.)
 
One fist over another over another? Realization hit Naraku. The evil hanyou snarled. Don't those fools understand that it isn't the size of the wave, but the motion of the ocean?
 
“Kanna!” roared Naraku. “Bring me Kikyo!”
 
 
 
A/N: Uh-oh. Looks like Naraku's ticked and Kikyo has some explaining to do.
 
One reviewer said I should have expanded on the “love” scene between Kikyo and Jaken. Okay, I admit it. I chickened out on that one. Gomen nasai.
 
I'm sorry to have to say this, but due to my work, I may have to slow down a bit on chapter production. About two chapters a week should be about right from now on.
 
Also, I noticed another writer on Mediaminer talking about publishing a story based on InuYasha. Does anyone know how one does this? I would have to rewrite my story and flesh it out with some more descriptive text, etc., but I am intrigued with the idea. Any advice?