InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Mother Miko's Instincts ❯ A Mother Miko's Instincts Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Mother Miko's Instincts - Chapter 1
By Majicman55
 
 
Kagome felt like a whale.
 
She was almost eight months into her second pregnancy (with four pups this time, mind you) and, despite the extra stamina she had picked up from her hanyou, just getting around was problematic.
 
And it didn't help matters that due to differences between ningen and hanyou development Akamaru, Midoriko and Aoimaru were already toddling about…getting into all sorts of trouble. Kagome sighed. At least there were no light sockets for them to stick their little claws into.
 
She heard a crash in the next room and waddled quickly to see what was the matter. A moment later she was calling out the door.
 
“In-u-Ya-shaaaaaa!”
 
The hanyou was there within moments. He knew that tone of voice and wasn't about to keep Kagome waiting. “Oi. What is it?”
 
“Come with me.” Kagome led InuYasha to the pups' room where he found Midoriko and Aoimaru sitting among the remains of a broken teapot. Both pups were glaring at the ceiling.
 
“Wh-Where's Akamaru?”
 
Kagome pointed up. There, floating by the shelf where the teapot used to be, was their third pup.
 
Floating.
 
InuYasha looked back down at Kagome with a big smile on his face. “Our pup can fly!”
 
<BONK>
 
One of the modern conveniences that Kagome had brought back from her time - a baby bottle - bounced off his head.
 
“Oi. We're gonna have to do something about that.”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“Do you think the others will be able to fly, too?”
 
Kagome looked at Midoriko and Aoimaru who were alternatively rising up and coming back down, sometimes precipitously. “If they don't kill themselves first.”
 
“Keh! They're tough. And anyway, they'll heal quickly.”
 
“Good, then you can watch them.” Kagome waddled to the door.
 
“Where are you going?”
 
“To see Kaede about some beads.”
 
“Keh.”
 
 
******************
 
 
“Good morning, Kaede.”
 
Kaede looked up from tending her herb garden. “Hello, Kagome. It is a pleasure to see you. How are the children?”
 
“Flying.”
 
“Flying?” said the elder miko.
 
“Flying.”
 
“Oh my.”
 
“I wish to speak with you about some beads.”
 
Kaede stared at Kagome. “Surely ye don't mean to use a subjugation spell on your children!”
 
“I have to do something. You have no idea how much trouble they…”
 
At that moment InuYasha slid to a halt between two village huts. “Oi! Have you seen Akamaru?”
 
“I'll help ye with the beads.”
 
 
******************
 
 
Akamaru, Midoriko and Aoimaru fiddled with their beaded necklaces, but couldn't seem to get them off. They all cried about it for a while, but gave up when they discovered they weren't getting anywhere.
 
If Mom wanted them to wear beads, they'd wear beads. No big deal.
 
Besides, Mom was letting them fly outside the hut now. Sure, they had to put up with these strange strings tied to their ankles…
 
“Flying kites, Kagome?” Kaede walked up to Kagome who was sitting on the ground beside three large pegs InuYasha had pounded into the ground for her. One-hundred-pound test kite line rose into the sky from each peg.
 
“Nope. Those are the kids.”
 
“Indeed.” Kaede looked up. The kids were specks. “Pretty high up, aren't they?”
 
“Yeah.” Kagome turned to Kaede. “I'm glad you're here. It's time to test their necklaces.”
 
“But they are so high, Kagome. They could be killed!”
 
The younger miko shook her head. “No, I thought of that.” She smiled. “I have adjusted the spell.”
 
Kaede merely arched one eyebrow.
 
“Watch.” Kagome looked up. “Fortunately, their hearing is as good as their father's. Akamaru…”
 
The two miko's couldn't actually see it at this distance, but both felt the energy surge in Akamaru's necklace. The toddler flew down a little closer; then decided he wasn't ready to come down and flew back up to rejoin his siblings.
 
“Akamaru Higurashi…”
 
Both miko's felt a stronger surge. Akamaru was forced down almost to the two mikos.
 
“Come here.”
 
The toddler stuck his tongue out and started back up.
 
“Akamaru Higurashi Taisho…”
 
<THUD>
 
“Oh my,” said Kaede. “I hope you won't be doing that very often.
 
“Only as often as he needs it,” answered Kagome. “Besides, I have it graduated. When I use one name, it's just a calling. Two names is stronger. And three names…”
 
“Aye, I saw.”
 
Kagome looked up at her remaining two children. “Oh, Midoriko, Aoimaru…”
 
Both children flew down immediately. They weren't stupid.
 
Kagome smiled. “Besides, they seem to be learning.”
 
Akamaru was just prying himself out of the depression he had made in the ground.
 
He was already thinking of ways to get the beads off.
 
 
******************
 
 
Kagome sat across from her mother as they both enjoyed tea. She felt a little guilty that she could pass through the well and be “un-pregnant” in the modern era…but, hey, she had three “pups” already and four more due in under a month…and she deserved a break.
 
Ironically, she had put on her old school uniform and found it still fit perfectly. It made for a rather surreal setting, though, as she sipped tea while her mother went through the most recent batch of pictures.
 
“And you say they can change their ears?”
 
“Yeah. And more.”
 
“More.”
 
“They can fly.”
 
“You mean they jump around like InuYasha.”
 
“No. They fly.”
 
Mama Higurashi's eyes widened. “Oh, Kagome. You have your hands full. And four more on the way!”
 
Kagome rolled her eyes and sipped her tea. “Mama, there's something you have to do for me.”
 
 
******************
 
Kagome climbed up onto the edge of the well and jumped into the time slip. A feeling of warmth enveloped her and, just before she emerged on the other side, four balls of light floated into her.
 
`Yup, pregnant again,' she thought, as she floated not-quite-so-lightly to the ground. “InuYasha!” she called out and her mate was there immediately to carry her out of the well.
 
“Have a nice visit?”
 
“Yeah.” Kagome paused. “We need to talk.”
 
 
******************
 
 
“And you say these…shots…will keep you from having pups?” InuYasha looked downcast.
 
“Yeah. Mama's making the arrangements now.” Kagome noted her mate's sullen look. “But they're not permanent. If I stop getting them, I can get pregnant again.”
 
InuYasha brightened. “Really?”
 
“Really.” Kagome looked at her mate closely. “Just how many pups do you want to have, anyway?”
 
“We're gonna be alive a long time, Kagome.”
 
“Something tells me I don't want to know.”
 
“Keh!”
 
 
******************
 
 
InuYasha and Kagome finally reached Miroku and Sango's home, where they picked up their kids who were playing with little Akira. The boy was just starting to stand by holding onto things and couldn't walk yet. Occasionally he'd raise his arms as though he were trying to take off into the sky…and would promptly plop down on his bottom.
 
Two of Kagome and InuYasha's children swooped down and started to take Akira under his arms.
 
“Akamaru, Aoimaru…”
 
The boys looked at her for a moment and stopped at helping Akira stand up again. Then they flew off.
 
“Looks like you're getting them trained,” said Sango.
 
“Yeah, I guess so. But having seven around…”
 
“I don't envy you.”
 
“If it weren't for Sesshomaru's offer…” Kagome sighed. “I've spoken to my mother about the shots we talked about. You know, I could get them for you, too.”
 
“Feh! Too late!” called out InuYasha.
 
Kagome, who had snapped around to look at InuYasha, slowly turned back to her adoptive sister. “What does he mean by…?”
 
Sango was turning red.
 
Kagome looked back at InuYasha. “Ummm, I don't think she knew.”
 
“Mi-ro-kuuuuuu!”
 
 
******************
 
 
Kagome was exhausted, but happy. She had delivered four healthy pups, two girls and two boys, and, once he was sure she was doing fine, InuYasha had gone to fetch his brother and Kagura.
 
The pups were all resting…as tired from the experience as she was. Sango remained by her side while Miroku, poor Miroku, was left to take care of both his own son and the three flying wonders. Fortunately for Miroku, the kite string Kagome had brought back with her was keeping the kids from going too far; and Kirara remained close by in case any of them slipped free.
 
“So you two have names picked out, Kagome?”asked the taijiya.
 
“All but one. InuYasha has gone after Sesshomaru and Kagura. We were going to name one of the pups after Sesshomaru's mother, but we both realized we don't know her name.”
 
“InuYasha didn't know?”
 
Kagome shrugged. “Just one of those things. Sesshomaru wouldn't speak about it to InuYasha, and no one else mentioned for fear of Sesshomaru.”
 
“Understandable.”
 
“I…think……I might sleep…now.”
 
Hours later, Kagome awoke to find Sango dozing beside her. She suspected that the taijiya was enjoying a little break from the kids, but it was time for her to wake up, too. Kagome had sensed her mate returning and knew it would soon be time to announce the babies' names to the world.
 
“Sango.”
 
“Mmm-hmmm?”
 
“Sango!”
 
“I'm awake!”
 
“Good. I didn't think you'd want to be asleep and drooling when Sesshomaru walked in.”
 
“I was not drooling,” she said, wiping her mouth.
 
“You were drooling like you had Miroku staked out, nude and at your mercy.”
 
“Kagome!” The taijiya was blushing furiously.
 
“They're here.”
 
Sango stood up as InuYasha entered and held the door for Sesshomaru and Kagura.
 
InuYasha sniffed and looked at Sango; and then at his mate. If Sesshomaru noticed the taijiya's sudden arousal, or her pregnant condition, he had the good graces not to say anything.
 
“Miko,” stated Sesshomaru. The Great Lord of the West couldn't resist being formal. It was his nature.
 
“You honor us with your presence,” answered Kagome. “I hope you will approve of the names we have chosen for our four pups.” Kagome gestured to Sango to hand Sesshomaru the first-born child. “This, the eldest, shall be named…” Kagome looked at her mate.
 
“…Tsukiko,” said InuYasha.
 
Sesshomaru looked at his brother. “Mother's name. How did you find out?”
 
“When I explained the circumstances, Myouga was willing to tell…and I only had to squash him twice.”
 
“Indeed.”
 
Kagome was giggling. “So much for solemn ceremonies. Is it okay with you, Sesshomaru?”
 
“I am honored.”
 
“Have you names for the other children?” asked Kagura.
 
“The other girl will be named Kaede…please don't tell her yet…and the boys will be Yoshi and Katsu,” answered Kagome. She then turned to Sesshomaru. “And I'm taking you up on your offer of help with the children.”
 
“Those are your first children flying over the village?”
 
“Yes. Yes, they are.”
 
“This Sesshomaru will make arrangements for nurses…including flying youkai.”
 
“Good idea.”
 
“In fact, it would be good for you to live with us at the castle.”
 
Kagome looked at Sango. “As long as we can visit our friends often.”
 
“Of course.”
 
 
 
 
A/N: Well, I've been promising a sequel to “A Miko's Instincts,” and here's the start of it. Yes, things are going to get strange. I just needed to do a little setting up here.
 
As always, please read and review. Thanks!