InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Mother Miko's Instincts ❯ A Mother Miko's Instincts Chapter 10 ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Mother Miko's Instincts - Chapter 10
By Majicman55
 
 
Kagome and InuYasha arrived at Kaede's village hours before the Great Lord of the Western Lands, who was necessarily slowed by the need to transport Rin gently. They had decided to bring the girl along to see if Kaede or Miroku had any suggestions for her care. In any case, the Great Lord of the Western Lands couldn't stand to have her out of his sight for long.
 
In addition, since Kagome had insisted on keeping her own children nearby, the party was quite large.
 
So in the time they had before Sesshomaru's arrival, Kagome and InuYasha sought out Sango and Miroku. They found Miroku outside their hut where he was playing with Akira. As soon as the monk saw them, he jumped to his feet and smiled. “I thought I had detected an ominous presence.”
 
“Feh!”
 
Miroku smiled, scooped up his son and rushed to his friends. “Look, Akira. It's your Uncle InuYasha and Aunt Kagome.” The baby giggled in that endearing way only babies can and reached out for Kagome's proffered finger.
 
“He's getting quite a grip.” She released Akira's finger and turned to Miroku. “We need your…kyaaaa!”
 
Miroku pulled Akira back from the miko who was clutching her breast and blushing furiously.
 
“Eh-heh. Like father, like son,” Miroku declared, smiling sheepishly.
 
“Keh!” InuYasha had expression that was a mix of annoyance and amusement.
 
“…although he does seem to be more of a breast man.”
 
Kagome looked at Akira. “I'll have to watch you.” Immediately, the baby put his hands out palms forward. All that would have been necessary to complete the image would have been Akira's declaration that “it's this cursed hand.”
 
“As I was saying, we need your help.”
“Indeed,” said Miroku. “Sango's inside making lunch. Let me get her and we'll all find Kaede. I'm sure you wanted to talk with her, too.”
 
“Yes.”
 
 
******************
 
 
The four Inu-tachi and Kaede sat in a circle outside the old miko's hut. “An ass, you say?”
 
“Yes, Lady Kaede,” said Kagome. “We have not seen it ourselves, but one of Lord Sesshomaru's castle guards said it called itself Oshirimaru.”
 
One of Miroku's eyebrows twitched, twice.
 
“Apparently it gains power by absorbing both youkai and spiritual powers, but that's not all.”
 
Sango looked over at Miroku whose right hand was clenching and unclenching. The taijiya wished she had brought her hiraikotsu.
 
“Oi. It took Rin's soul.”
 
Miroku's hand stopped its motion. “What did you say, my friend?”
 
“It's true,” said Kagome. “Sesshomaru and I were able to revive her body, but there's no…presence.”
 
“She retains that part which moves the body, yet her soul is missing,” mused Miroku. The monk looked up at Kagome and InuYasha. “So you came to me in the hopes that I could use my spiritual powers to restore her soul.”
 
“Yeah. And…” Kagome paused.
 
“And?”
 
“Andyou'retheforemostexpertongirls'assesIknow.”
 
Both of Miroku's eyebrows shot up.
 
Sango was glaring at Kagome.
 
Miroku smiled. “I am so misunderstood.”
 
 
******************
 
 
There was no lack of consternation in the village when Sesshomaru's party arrived. For the sake of not putting anyone's nerves more on edge than they already were, the youkai party made camp outside the village. After seeing to the disposition of his camp, the Great Lord of the Western Lands joined the discussion.
 
“This Sesshomaru understands that you have been fully informed as to the happenings at his castle.”
 
“We have,” answered Kaede, “and we will do all in our power to help bring Rin back to you.”
 
Surprising everyone, the demon lord bowed to the elder miko. “This Sesshomaru thanks you.”
 
“Could ye bring the child here?”
 
Sesshomaru turned and signaled to Jaken. The imp came forward accompanied by two youkai bearing Rin on a litter. They set the poor girl on the ground before Kaede.
 
The elder miko examined Rin for a moment, then drew back with a hiss. “It is the separation!”
 
“What is that?” asked Sesshomaru.
 
“This is most dangerous. Her soul is absent her body.” Kaede hurried into her hut, only to emerge carrying several ingredients which she then began to mix. “Anyone with strong enough spiritual powers could take over her body at any time. I am preparing a talisman to keep that from happening.” The elder miko tied her carefully prepared mixture up in a small bag, attached the bag to a necklace and placed the talisman around Rin's neck. “There, that should do it.”
 
“She is safe now?” asked Sesshomaru.
 
Kaede sighed. “Her body is safe from being taken over. Getting her soul back is a different matter.” The elder miko turned to Kagome. “Come here. You can help with this.”
 
“What do you wish me to do?”
 
“Just as you and InuYasha are linked and can feel each other's presence, and more, Rin's body must still be linked in some fashion to her soul.” Kaede held Kagome's hands and place them over Rin's face. “I am getting too old to accompany you on quests, so I wish to train you how to trace this connection.”
 
“I see.”
 
“Ye must reach out with your mind.” Kaede noted that Kagome looked slightly agitated. “You must feel for a path that leads to her soul.”
 
Kagome had her eyes closed and was breathing hard.
 
“You feel something, Kagome?”
 
Kagome opened her eyes and looked at her mate. “That can wait till later.”
 
“Oi. Sorry.”
 
Everyone stared at InuYasha as Kagome closed her eyes again.
 
“What?”
 
“I do feel something, Kaede.”
 
“Yes?”
 
Kagome lifted her hands and held them palms out. The younger miko pivoted until she felt the strongest energy. “It's coming from…that…direction.” She opened her eyes.
 
“That's the direction of this Sesshomaru's castle.”
 
“Whoever…whatever…has this poor child's soul lies in that direction.” Kaede turned to Kagome. “Now you know how to find it, Kagome.”
 
 
******************
 
 
Back in the castle, in Jaken's cave, Oshirimaru was feeling restless. A short time before, she had felt the touch of something that was at the same time gentle and extremely powerful. Whoever it was had reached out to find the soul she had stolen and held within her.
 
She didn't know why, but she was both excited by and afraid of the contact. She needed more power and she needed it now.
 
Oshirimaru began to glow, and then rose off her altar. She emerged from Jaken's quarters and began to feed.
 
Terrible screams could be heard throughout the castle as various youkai found themselves being sucked into a glowing, floating ass. The head of Sesshomaru's household staff dispatched one of his most trusted youkai to take a message to the Great Lord of the Western Lands; and then, drawing his own sword, advanced to meet his own fate.
 
The messenger looked back to see that youkai disappearing up…no, it was too horrible! He turned and fled to find his lord.
 
 
******************
 
 
“It is good of you to come with us, Miroku,” said Kagome.
 
“Oi, it couldn't have been easy to get Sango to agree to it.”
 
Miroku smiled. “No, it wasn't easy.” Miroku turned serious. “But it is for Sesshomaru, and Rin, and this new threat probably will be easier to face now than when it's stronger.”
 
“That's true,” said InuYasha.
 
“And there are two things that intrigue me. First, that this…thing…uses something similar to my old kazaana.”
 
“And second?”
 
“Aside from Sango's, I've never felt the perfect…”
 
<WHAM>
 
“Oi. Look at that.”
 
“That hiraikotsu came out of nowhere.”
 
“From the treeline, I'd say. Oi, Sango,” called out InuYasha. “You realize we'll need Kirara now.”
 
The glowering taijiya bent down and said something to the firecat, who bounded up to InuYasha and Kagome and transformed to its larger state. The hanyou tied the unconscious monk to Kirara's back, and then took Kagome on his own.
 
“Come on, Kirara,” said Kagome. “We've got to catch up with Sesshomaru.”
 
InuYasha took off after his brother's party. Kirara growled once and followed by air.
 
 
******************
 
 
Silence returned to Sesshomaru's castle.
 
“Such foolish creatures,” thought Oshirimaru. As futile as it was, they kept attacking her, one after the other, until she had absorbed nearly the whole household staff.
 
Once she was done, she almost returned to Jaken's cave. No, that wouldn't do. The Great Lord of the Western Lands would return and while one or two missing youkai might be explained away, not finding anything left of the household staff certainly wouldn't be.
 
No, it was time to move on.
 
 
******************
 
 
“It's moving, InuYasha.”
 
“Feh! Which way?”
 
“Oddly enough, I think it's headed towards Sesshomaru. InuYasha! The kids are with Sesshomaru!”
 
InuYasha sped up so much that all Kirara could see was a blur. She would just have to follow as best she could.
 
 
******************
 
 
When Kagome and InuYasha caught up with Sesshomaru, it was obvious a battle was underway. The Great Lord of the Western Lands had detailed some of his strongest youkai to guard Izayoi and Kagome and InuYasha's babies. He and some of the other flying youkai were on the point of flying after the older children.
 
Kagome looked up to see three specks she knew to be Akamaru, Midoriko and Aoimaru flitting rapidly around another speck she could not identify. It sure felt evil, though.
 
“Stand down, InuYasha,” shouted Sesshomaru. “You cannot fly. Leave this to me, Kagura and the other fliers.”
 
“Keh!”
 
Kagome continued to stare up into the sky. She still couldn't make out that speck, but it was threatening her kids…so she did the one thing she could do.
 
“Akamaru Higurashi, Midoriko Higurashi, Aoimaru Higurashi!”
 
Immediately the subjugation spell took hold of all three of her children. All three plummeted towards their mother, stopping scant feet above the ground.
 
But the speck had followed…and was no longer a speck.
 
It was an ass. A girl's ass.
 
InuYasha looked up and stammered out, “K-Kikyo?”
 
Kagome stared at her mate. “What did you say?”
 
“That's Kikyo's ass! I'd know it anywhere!”
 
Kagome quickly instructed the older children to join the babies who were surrounded my Sesshomaru's guards. She then turned back to her mate. “And how do you know what Kikyo's ass looks like?”
 
 
 
A/N: I'm not entirely sure who's in more trouble: Oshirimaru or InuYasha. Guess we'll find out in the next chapter.
 
As always, please read and review. Thanks!