InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Parent's Worst Nightmare ❯ Gone ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of  their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended. In other words, I don't own and I make no money from this.
-----------------

Originally posted to Inuyasha Fanfiction on August 12, 2012 for Drabble #39 Foggy. It won 3rd place.

Title: Gone
Author: ananova
Word Count: 313
Prompt: Foggy
Genre: Drama/Angst
Rating: K+
Warnings: None
Characters: Kagome
Summary: While cooking Kagome realizes that it is too quiet. Where has her son disappeared to? Prequel to Family Embrace.
------------------------

Kagome smiled as she placed the pot of soup over the fire-pit. “There,” she murmured. “Just need to wait for Inuyasha to come back with some meat to go along with the vegetables.” She glanced out the window, frowning at the fog that rolled past. “It's really foggy today. I can't even see the rest of the village through it.” Her frown deepened before she smiled and turned around. “But don't worry Jomei-chan, your Papa is an excellent hunter. He won't let a little fog stop him from catching us breakfast.”

Her smile faded as silence greeted her. “Jomei-chan?” She walked through the main room of the hut. She didn't really expect the toddler to answer her but he would normally gurgle and babble when his name was called. “Jomei-chan?” Why was it so quiet?

Her foot encountered a small object and she nearly stumbled. Kagome glanced down, spotting the blocks Inuyasha had carved for Jomei to play with. Panic was quickly filling her as her son was nowhere in sight. “Jomei!” She tore through the hut but there was no sign of the boy. He was gone.

Re-entering the main room, her eyes landed on the reed mat that acted as a door. A corner at the bottom was shoved to the side. Kagome gasped and flung it aside, racing outside. But other than a few muddy tracks, she could see no sign of her son in the thick fog. “Jomei!”

Again there was no answer.

Her heart pounding in her chest, Kagome took a deep breath and did the only thing she could. “INUYASHA!” she cried as loudly as she could, knowing he would hear her and come running. She couldn't hope to find their son in these conditions, her husband's superior senses were her only hope. She just prayed he got there quickly, before anything could happen to the toddler.