InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Parent's Worst Nightmare ❯ Family Embrace ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Originally posted to Issekiwa on June 21, 2012 for Prompt #152 Safe and Sound.

Title: Family Embrace
Author: ananova
Rating: K
Prompt: Safe and Sound (Issekiwa)
Genre: Family
Word Count: 214
Warnings: None
Summary: A family clings to one another after a traumatic experience. Post-Canon.

----------------------------

Kagome continued to rock the small body in her arms, even after the child had gone back to sleep. Strong arms wrapped around the both of them, drawing her to rest against an equally strong chest. She glanced up into a pair of worried gold eyes.

“It was so close today,” she whispered, unshed tears in her eyes. Fear of waking the slumbering child was not the only fear keeping her voice so low. “If you hadn't made it in time-”

“Shh,” Inuyasha said as he repeated her actions with the child, rocking her back and forth in his arms. “Don't worry about what ifs. Just focus on the here and now. He's here, in your arms, safe and sound.”

Kagome nodded, trying to swallow back her fears past the lump in her throat. She felt one of his hands tenderly stroke her hair, then saw it move and repeat the action on their son. Her eyes widened as the hand shook and she realized he felt the same fears she did. Gently easing one arm away from her son, she wrapped it around her husband instead. The three remained in their embrace for the rest of the night, basking in the fact that all were there, safe and sound.