InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Parent's Worst Nightmare ❯ A Father's Fear ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Originally posted to Inuyasha Fanfiction on August 13, 2012 for Oneshot #20 Dark Side. It won 1st place.

Title: A Father's Fear
Author: ananova
Word Count: 750
Prompt: Dark Side
Genre: Angst/Family
Rating: T
Warnings: Slight Language
Characters: Inuyasha and Kagome
Summary: Inuyasha races after his son, hoping to reach him in time to avert tragedy. Follows Gone and A Parent's Worst Nightmare.
-------------------------------

Inuyasha raced through the forest, ignoring the leaves and small branches that he crashed through as he continued to follow his son's scent. 'Damn it! How the hell did he manage to get so far, so fast?' he wondered. A flash of pride filled him at the toddler's accomplishment, only to be crushed and replaced with worry and fear.

'Shit. He's heading deeper into the forest. Anything could happen to him, he's to young to defend himself, whether it's from a youkai or a wild animal.' Straining, he managed to increase his speed again. He had never felt so afraid as he did at that moment. At least when Kagome was in danger he would be right by her side, able to take any blows for her. And she had her own spiritual powers to help fend off attacks.

But Jomei... 'He's just a baby.' Inuyasha's heart thumped painfully in his chest as he encountered the dark side of being a parent. The fear, the worry, the feeling of helplessness.

A growl tore it's way from his throat as he tried to shake the feelings away, concentrating on the scent he was following. His eyes widened as he realized where the scent was leading. 'Oh shit! The cliffs are this way!' Somehow he managed to increase his speed again, his feet barely touching the ground as he ran.

He broke through the trees, his keen eyes spotting the small form teetering near the edge of the cliffs. “Jomei!”

The boy turned at the cry. “Dadadada,” he babbled happily, before his trembling legs buckled beneath him and he began to topple backwards.

“Nooo!” Without stopping Inuyasha lunged forward, leaping right off of the cliff and snatching the child out of the air. Pulling him tightly to his chest and holding him there with one arm, he twisted his body around, using his other hand to dig into the side of the cliff. His claws dug deep trenches into the rock face as his momentum continued to drive him down for a bit, but finally they came to a stop with a sharp jerk. He winced slightly at the pain in his arm but, glancing down at the scared but unharmed child in his arms, it faded from his mind completely.

“Jomei,” Inuyasha said before giving him a tight hug. 'Thank you,' he prayed to whoever was listening. 'Thank you for not taking him from us, from me.'

Jomei stared up at his father's face, a confused look on his own. Why did Papa seem upset? He gently patted his face and babbled at him.

Inuyasha gave the boy a smile, hugging him again, then began to climb back up the cliff. Upon reaching the top, Jomei started wiggling in his arms, trying to get him to put him down. “Oh no you don't,” Inuyasha told him with a slight chuckle. “I think you've had enough adventure for one day.” He kept a firm grip as he started the walk back to their hut. “In fact, you aren't having any more adventures for a long time. You are not allowed to wander off by yourself until you are a lot bigger.”

Inuyasha felt his tension ease and his worries fade away as he listened to the boy's babbles and happy gurgles. The danger had passed, it was alright to relax now. Nearing the edge of their property, he could scent Kagome and knew she must be going out of her mind with worry. He glanced down at the toddler. “You're Mama's not gonna let you out of her sight for a long time,” he warned him as they exited the trees.

Kagome's head shot up as she heard the approaching footsteps and her son's babbling voice. She shot to her feet, racing straight toward them as they became visible in the fog. “Jomei!” She snatched the boy out of his father's arms and into her own, pulling him tightly against her chest as she smothered his face in kisses. “Oh, I was so worried.”

Inuyasha reached out and pulled her into his arms. “He's alright. He's had quite an adventure but he's safe.” They remained like that for a long time, simply holding one another and listening to their son's babble. 'There may be a dark side to having a family, but moments like this make it all worth it,' Inuyasha reflected, his arms tightening around his family. Despite the fear and worry, he wouldn't trade this moment for anything.