InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Sorta Fairytale ❯ Chapter VII ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"A Sorta Fairytale"

Chapter VII

)*(

By:

Batwings

)*(

Disclaimer: I don't own it. So there.

)*(

"Way up North, I took my day, all in all it was a pretty nice day and I put the road right back where you could taste Heaven perfectly - Feel out the summer breeze, didn't know when we'd be back and I… I didn't think we'd end up like… like this…"

`A Sorta Fairytale' by Tori Amos

)*(

Matt stuffed his hands inside his pockets as he strolled through the airport, InuYasha following closely behind him. The modern, American clothes suited the half-demon almost too well as he stumbled clumsily behind the boy in a black porkpie hat, black three-piece suit, and simple black shoes. His ears twitched nervously under the stifling satin lining of the hat. He had spent the entire night making mental notes of Matt's instructions about flying. It seemed a very complicated process, but if he could fight off man-eating demons and battle evil spirits, this flying thing should be a piece of cake.

They reached the gate all too soon. Matt turned and looked at him. "I can't go with you anymore. You'll be on your own from now on." He pulled out a ticket and a passport from his pocket, and handed them to InuYasha. "They'll tell you what to do with these." He glanced at the monitor on the wall opposite him, scanning over the departures and arrivals. "Your plane should land in Tokyo in fourteen hours, if you're lucky. Do you know what to do once you get there?"

InuYasha chewed his tongue in thought. "Not really. All I know to do is look for Kagome. I know she's there, and I can probably sniff her out easily, though it may take a while."

"Don't forget to call me. Do you remember how to use a telephone?"

"Yeah," said InuYasha, fidgeting with his ticket and passport. "Well, I guess this is good-bye."

Matt looked up at him. "We will see each other again, won't we?"

"We will if I have anything to do with it," InuYasha replied.

Matt bit his tongue to restrain himself from crying, looking down at his shoes. "I… I hope you make it there safely."

"I'm sure I will," the dog-demon said, shifting from one foot to the other. "I'm sorry… I'm not very good with good-byes."

"I don't think anyone is," said Matt, brushing a bit of dandruff from his shoulder. "I'm going to be worried about you, that's for sure."

"Don't worry about me, I'll be fine. It's you I'm going to be worried about."

Matt looked up at him, feeling his eyes fill with tears. "Why?"

InuYasha looked down at him, putting a hand to his cheek. "Because… you're so fragile and everything… I'm going to miss you a lot."

"I'll miss you too…"

"Thanks for taking care of me, and helping me… I never would have made it without you."

"No," said Matt, "thank you for coming into my life." He embraced InuYasha softly, planting a soft kiss on his chest before releasing him. "You'd better hurry, your plane is going to take off pretty soon."

InuYasha looked in the direction of the terminals and looked back at Matt. "You can't come with me?"

Matt smiled sadly. "No… I barely had enough in my savings account to pay for your ticket and passport alone. And besides, I couldn't just leave so abruptly and all…"

"Oh," said InuYasha. "I understand." He looked down at the floor, then up at Matt again. "Well, I'll see ya."

"Take care," said Matt. And InuYasha turned and walked through the gate.

)*(

The winter had wrapped itself up around Matt as he trodded down the road, shivering from cold. He thought that his green sweater would suffice for the day, but Mother Nature seemed determined to fight against him. The weather report had predicted snow flurries for the night, and the biting cold wind was confirming the report as accurate.

Matt looked up at the darkening sky and thought of InuYasha. He hadn't spoken to him since the day he left. InuYasha had called, but the connection was bad, and they never did get a chance to speak to each other. Matt felt, deep down, that InuYasha was all right, wherever he was. He had hoped that InuYasha had found Kagome, and that he was happy… happier than Matt had been…

Those few months after InuYasha's departure had been some of the worst of Matt's life. Not only had he been emotionally distraught, but school had also gotten much worse. The bullying had increased to the point of being unbearable, and after one particular incident where Matt was knocked to the ground and kicked in the stomach, Matt told his parents that he needed a break. After a few concerned calls from the principal, Matt's parents decided that they would try transferring him to another nearby school after the Christmas holidays. The new school was quite similar to his old one, but upon his arrival, he spoke to no one and mostly kept to himself if he could help it. He had made no new friends for fear of the backlash of opening up to someone, but it was better to be lonely than bullied.

School today had been boring and lonely as usual, and he couldn't wait to return home. As he reached the neighborhood, his step quickened and he soon found himself inside the front hall of his house, taking off his sweater. It seemed his parents had gone out, so he had the house to himself for a little while. He plopped down on the couch and flipped on the TV, drowning out the whistling gusts of icy wind from outside.

The house was warm and cozy, and Matt felt at ease for the first time all day. But he was still alone. It seemed now, he always found himself alone, in one way or another. He had started to wonder if he would always be alone. It was a terrifying thought, but was it better to be alone than to be hurt? Is it worth risking yourself in the process if you're only going to be hurt in the end? Is it worth falling in love and losing than never loving at all…?

Just then the phone rang. Matt jumped up and picked up the receiver, wondering who would be calling, especially this time of day. "Hello?"

"Matt?"

Matt inhaled sharply, his heart pounding. Was it real? Was it really happening? That voice… that voice he had so longed to hear…

"Matt? It's me…"

"…Hi…" He then felt the answer to the question he had just asked himself.

"It's been a while…"

)*(

)*(

)*(

)*(

)*(

)*(
)*(
)*(
)*(
)*(
)*(
)*(
)*(
)*(
)*(
)*(
)*(
)*(
)*(
)*(
)*(
)*(
)* (
)*(

Hello, this is Batwings. Thank you so much for reading my fic, "A Sorta Fairytale." I hope you enjoyed it. ^-^

As you know, not all love stories have a happy ending. The song "A Sorta Fairytale" is about a romance that has its own bittersweet ending (being only a "sorta" fairytale). The ending to this story is actually a lot sadder than I had originally planned, but more realistic, I think. For InuYasha to go riding (or flying, rather) off into the sunset and Matt to go home and everything be all hunky-dory is a little much, don't you agree? Also, it was quite easy for Matt to fall in love with InuYasha, but for InuYasha to fall in love with Matt in return was far too outlandish (though some really bad fic-writers would probably disagree…), so I guess you could say this relationship was doomed from the very beginning. However, both Matt and InuYasha left each other with a special place held in each one's heart by the other, which is the way all ended relationships should be.

Another thing that makes this story very different is the fact that from beginning to end, Matt goes very much downhill instead of uphill. He starts out as a very carefree, easygoing guy despite all his problems, and in the end becomes a total wreck. Why? Love will do that to you. And when it rains, it ALWAYS pours. When something is going wrong with you, the world around you will inevitably go wrong as well. Will things get better for Matt? I like to think so. Deep down, Matt is very much of a coward, but he is a dreamer, and has goals, and despite his fears, he will fight to see his goals accomplished.

I did leave a lot of questions unanswered, and this was on purpose. Did InuYasha find Kagome? Did he realize that he loved Matt? Just what exactly was the answer to Matt's question? Well, you tell me. If I answered all the questions, then the reader wouldn't have to think. It's always important for one to be thought-provoking and equally important for one's thoughts to be provoked. So you can decide for yourself the fate of Matt and InuYasha. I have my own beliefs about what will happen. What do YOU think? ^-^

Well, that's it for "A Sorta Fairytale." I'd really love to get feedback from you guys. My e-mail address is batwings_slash@hotmail.com, so please drop me a line and let me know what you think!

Thanks Again! ^-^