InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Woman Scorned ❯ Jealous Inu-yasha? ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The next morning Sango and Miroku awoke to the surprising sight of Kagome making breakfast as she hummed a tune under her breath. Looking at each other, they shrugged and got up to help their friend. Of course, Miroku couldn't resist a friendly good morning grope on Sango's derriere.

 

"Hentai!" she screamed as she smacked the perverted houshi across the face. She then quickly made her way over to where Kagome was glad to see her friend laughing at their antics. She had been a little concerned by Kagome's quietness yesterday.

 

After breakfast, the three friends plus two small demons continued on their way to Kaede's village. Inu-yasha had not returned to the camp site the night before and no one felt any great desire to wait for him. As they walked, Kagome continued to hum the Evanescence song she had listened to the night before. Occasionally, she would forget where she was and sing some of the lyrics, much to Sango and Miroku's pleasure. She had such a lovely singing voice it was a shame to them that she didn't sing more often. Of course they knew Inu-yasha would just insult her and that was probably the reason why Kagome had never bothered to sing anything around them.

 

"Kagome what was that song you were singing earlier?" Miroku asked. Kagome blushed as she realized that he had slipped and sang some of the lyrics to the Evanescence song out loud.

 

"It's called `Going Under' and it's by a band called Evanescence. It seemed to fit my mood last night and it helped me finally get some things straight in my mind," she said softly. Miroku nodded and said nothing else. He sensed that the song had helped her put her relationship with the bad tempered half demon into perspective.

 

As the three friends continued on their journey back to the village, Kagome found herself thinking more and more about Sesshomaru. She didn't know what to think about these strange feelings she was having for him. She had never felt these kinds of feelings before, not even for Inu-yasha who she had thought that she loved with all of her heart.

 

`Maybe Sango or Kaede can help me make sense of them,' Kagome thought as she absently grabbed on to Shippo to prevent him from falling off her shoulder. The sudden arrival of Inu-yasha abruptly pulled Kagome from her thoughts.

 

"You're awfully quiet. Thinking about your Sesshomaru?" Inu-yasha sneered as he walked beside Kagome. Inside he was eaten up with jealousy that she had so easily seemed to switch her affections from him to his hated brother.

 

Kagome looked at him, a nasty gleam in her eyes. She still hadn't forgiven him for the nasty things he had said about her. In fact, why should he care who she thought about since he said that he didn't care about her? Sango and Miroku had stopped and were watching the little drama play out before them with a mixture of anger towards Inu-yasha and newfound respect for Kagome's ability to stand up to him.

 

"Why do you care Inu-yasha? After all, in your eyes I'm only a `silly little schoolgirl' who can detect the shards of the Shikon jewel," Kagome purred in a soft and deadly tone of voice. Inu-yasha paled slightly and began to back away as he realized what that gleam in her eyes stood for. It meant he was fixing to be up close and personal with the ground for quite awhile. Miroku decided to intervene before things got too out of hand.

 

"Kagome, let it go for now. We need to get back to the village and rest up for the upcoming battle with Naraku," he said, smoothly stepping in between the two. Kagome continued to glare at Inu-yasha a moment longer before sighing and turning away from him.

 

"You're right Miroku. Besides, at this point he is no longer worth the effort," Kagome said coldly. Holding Shippo tightly against her chest, Kagome shouldered her backpack and took off walking again, leaving a stunned Miroku and Inu-yasha behind.