InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Woman Scorned ❯ Chapter 21 ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“You still haven't figured out who I am have you Kagome?” the woman asked in a kind voice. Kagome shook her head, her chocolate brown eyes wide open as she watched the woman approach her. The woman stopped before her and bowed low, causing Kagome to blush faintly.
 
“My name is Midoriko and you have freed me at long last,” the woman said standing back up. Kagome's eyes grew even wider, causing Sesshomaru to wonder with some concern if they would fit back in her face properly. Honestly, she looked like a bug that had just been squashed beneath someone's heel in his opinion.
 
Kagome was for once in her short life completely speechless. Never had she thought that wishing on the Shikon jewel would bring about a meeting with the most powerful priestesses in history! Midoriko just continued to smile patiently as she waited for Kagome to find her voice. Finally Kagome blushed furiously and looked away as she finally began to ask the questions that were burning in her mind.
 
“Where are we and why are we here?” she asked quietly. For a moment there was silence and Kagome jumped when Midoriko's voice suddenly spoke from right in front of her.
 
“You are inside the Shikon no Tama and why you are here is because of the very unselfish wish you made Kagome,” Midoriko replied. Kagome turned her head and looked shyly at the warrior woman, unable to quite comprehend what she was saying just yet. She was still in a state of shock over actually coming face to face with the legendary miko.
 
“Please continue Midoriko,” Sesshomaru's deep voice said softly as he wrapped an arm around his beloved miko and hugged her close to his side. Immediately, she wrapped her arm around his waist and grinned up at him, her love for him clearly written in her eyes. Midoriko watched the two unlikely lovers, a fond expression on her face as she recalled the feeling of being in love and being loved in return. She shook her head slightly, knowing that her time was running short, and began to speak once more.
 
“You see Lord Sesshomaru, thanks to Kagome's kind and unselfish wish for our freedom, my soul as well as the other trapped souls can now find peace and move on to our awaiting destinations. The main reason I am still here is to give Kagome two of her most secretly wanted yet denied wishes.” At this Kagome looked at Midoriko with puzzled eyes. She had no other wishes but for the souls trapped in the Shikon no Tama to have peace and rest. Sesshomaru himself looked slightly puzzled at Midoriko's cryptic words.
 
“I-I don't understand Midoriko. I have no other wishes,” Kagome said softly. Midoriko moved until she was directly in front of Kagome, looking deep into her eyes and seeing the desires she had shoved away, fearing that they were selfish and would taint the Shikon no Tama again.
 
“Child, the wishes you hold deep in your heart are not selfish. That is why the powers above wish to grant them for you. You have suffered much over the last three years and never once did you lose hope. No matter what the odds were you were still there for your friends in their time of need, while holding back all of your pain and uncertainty. That is not selfish, not in my eyes or the gods above. So close your eyes Kagome and allow me to help make one of your wishes as well as your adopted son's wishes come true,” Midoriko's voice was soothing, lulling Kagome into a peaceful trance. Sesshomaru looked at Midoriko carefully wondering if he should step away.
 
“Hold her steady Lord Sesshomaru and be prepared to catch her. The transformation may take a bit of energy out of her,” Midoriko called out. Sesshomaru nodded and pulled Kagome back against his chest, wrapping his arms firmly around her as a soft blue light surrounded Kagome. It got brighter and brighter, until finally Sesshomaru was forced to close his eyes against the brilliance of it. Once the light faded Sesshomaru opened his eyes and stared in wonder at the changes in his miko.
 
Her long dark hair now reached her waist and had silver strands of hair mixed in throughout it. Her ears were now delicately pointed like Sesshomaru's and the markings on her face and wrists were also like his. He watched her eyes flutter open, and saw that they were still a dark brown but also had a gorgeous tint of gold in them. Her nails were long and sharp and he could picture the damage she could do with them. Something black and fluffy brushed against his face, and he realized that it was her tail. He smirked as he realized that now he could call her `fluffy' as well. He steadied her on her feet and watched her turn to him, confusion clearly shining in her eyes. Before he could answer her question, Midoriko interrupted them.
 
“My time is growing increasingly shorter. Sesshomaru can tell you about your new…look later. For your last desire Kagome, we have fixed it so that the well that you use to travel back and forth between times shall remain open as long as you have family still living on the other side. Furthermore, any of your family members or friends can use the well to either visit you here or in the other time,” Midoriko explained with a smile. She held up a hand, temporarily halting Kagome's effusive thanks. “Once all of your immediate family members have passed on, the well will close back up again permanently,” she finished. Kagome nodded, showing that she understood. Her golden brown eyes were filled with tears of gratitude and happiness. She quickly left Sesshomaru's side and approached the warrior miko, throwing her arms around the older woman.
 
“Thank you,” she whispered. Midoriko nodded and gently returned the hug before pushing her back towards Sesshomaru. With one last final wave Midoriko slowly backed away as the light surrounding them gradually faded until Kagome and Sesshomaru were standing in their hut. Kagome instinctively felt around her neck for the jewel but found nothing but the chain it had been hanging from. It was finally over and now Kagome and her friends could get on with their lives.
 
“Kagome, Shippo said that he saw…” Sango trailed off as she took in her best friend's new looks and the fact that she was still holding on to Sesshomaru's hand. Miroku and the others quickly joined them.
 
“Mama, why are you an Inuyoukai demon now?” Shippo asked. He was confused by the looks his mother and Sesshomaru exchanged before bursting into laughter.
 
“It's a long story my son. How about we talk about it over a nice bowl of Ramen?” she asked as she ushered her thoroughly confused children and friends inside to tell them what happened.