InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Youkai's Memories ❯ Youkai? ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
A Youkai's Memories
 
Chapter 2 :: Youkai?
 
Disclaimer:: Sporks and penguins people…sporks and penguins.
 
 
Kagome and Sesshomaru walked into the study with tension in the air. Sesshomaru clenched his fists, but that was the only sign of emotion he was showing. Kagome felt Kirara shift in her hair, nervous from the vibes in the air. Sesshomaru motioned for Kagome to sit in the plush chair next to her, as he stiffly sat down himself, running his hand through his hair.
 
“I'm sorry about that Higurashi. You shouldn't have had to see that.” `I shouldn't have had to see that.' Sesshomaru felt bad, for himself and his mother, as well as for Kagome.
 
“Taisho-san, don't apologize for something you had no control over. I'll admit I don't know how you're feeling, but I understand the pain of betrayal. If you want to talk about, I'm more then willing to listen.” Kagome watched him closely with understanding and sympathy in her eyes. He shook his head, unwilling to open up, especially since he felt almost embarrassed by his father's actions.
 
“We came here for you to explain certain things to me, and that's what we're going to talk about. We don't need to get into my life. Right now, I want to know what's going on with you, and what that cat is.” Kagome sighed, and looked at her feet, knowing that he had a right to know. She didn't know why he did, but it felt right to tell him. Well, and the other fact helped his case too, even though she was confused that he didn't already know.
 
“I used to live in a shrine in Tokyo. I lived with my mother, grandpa, and my little brother. We had a normal life, besides my grandpa's eccentricities. He constantly talked about demons, and exorcisms, and how youkai still lived today. We never really paid attention to his rantings; he's always been like that. One night, however, I was walking through a park at night when I heard laughing, and yelps of pain. Worried, I went over to see what was happening. It turned out that there was a group of people torturing a cat. I got mad, and stalked over there in the attempt to save the cat. They laughed at me, but there was one man, the man who was watching from the sidelines. He stopped them before they attacked me as well. He turned out to be Naraku, but I didn't know who he was at the time. He looked at me, and smirked. He told the others that they would have their chance later, but at the moment to let us go. They were disappointed, but did as he commanded. I had the cat in my arms, and was about to leave when he stopped me. He just looked at me, and asked if I remembered.” Sesshomaru looked confused for a second.
 
“Remember what?” Kirara mewed, and pawed at Kagome's hair suddenly. Kagome frowned, and placed her in her lap, petting her, figuring she wanted attention.
 
“I don't know. I told him I didn't know what he meant. He just smirked and stepped aside to let me pass. I ran home from there, not stopping anywhere. I carried the cat into my house so I could bandage her up, when I noticed she had two tails. I couldn't believe it, I thought maybe it was a deformity from birth or something, but when my grandpa saw it, he knew exactly what it was. Kirara was a two-tail cat youkai. He had a picture and description even in one of his old books. This is what got me to start believing what my grandpa had been saying all these years. That youkai really do exist, and live among us. I didn't completely believe everything, but I was starting too.”
 
“Wait, youkai? Youkai are myths, you can't be serious about this Higurashi. I refuse to believe something so preposterous.” Sesshomaru interrupted. Kagome looked at him oddly. She decided to just continue, maybe there was a good reason Sesshomaru didn't know.
 
“Yes, I expect a lot of people would react like that, but probably not as calmly as you. If people knew, or even thought that there were actual youkai in this world, there would be mass chaos and panic. I wasn't completely convinced for a while. I had forgotten about Naraku for the most part. Kirara was healing fine, and went off on her own more and more to hunt. One day I was walking through that same park during the day after school when I saw Naraku standing against a tree like he was waiting for something. Or someone. Since he was facing away from me, I backed up and turned around to go home the long way instead. That didn't happen though. The next thing I recall is waking up in a room somewhere. There was a window, but I was four stories up. There was bed and a bathroom as well. It looked as if someone had been planning for this. I started screaming and pounding on the door. A little while later, after I was done screaming and had started crying on the floor, Naraku came in. He sat on the bed and stared at me. I screamed at him, yelling for him to let me go. He didn't say anything though, he just looked at me. When I finally stopped screaming at him, he was smiling. He told me that it was a good thing I couldn't remember, and that he would take care of me from then on. I don't think he meant it in a nice, caring way either.
 
He didn't really do anything to me in the next couple days except feed me, and come in my room to stare at me. Once in a while he would tell me that my face was all over the news, and that my family had said that I ran away. My grandpa had suffered a heart attack because of me. These were lies, but I didn't know that at the time. Naraku started playing with my emotions, twisting everything around, making me confused. He said that my family blamed me for everything, but that he could comfort me, and only he could understand and care for me. I was going crazy there. I no longer knew what to think; he had jumbled everything up so badly. One night, when I was close to breaking down and giving in, I heard a tapping on the window. I looked out and saw a huge cat flying outside of my window. I just decided to get on, and hope for the best. That's what I got too. The cat took me home, where it turned into Kirara. I couldn't believe it at first, but then it all made sense. This is what got me to believe in youkai.”
 
Kagome stopped there, finding it very difficult to continue. Memories flooded back, the screaming and the blood everywhere. Kagome closed her eyes tightly, trying to rid herself of them. Kirara purred comfortingly, rubbing her head against Kagome's stomach. Sesshomaru just sat there, trying to take in everything that he had been told. It was a hard thing to believe, but somehow Sesshomaru knew that Kagome wasn't lying. He still needed proof however.
 
“Show me. Have Kirara transform.” Kagome looked up, startled. She looked at Kirara and shrugged. Kirara mewed, and jumped out of Kagome's lap. Standing in the open space of the study, flames shot up around her, masking her from sight! Sesshomaru almost fell backwards at the scene, eyes wide in disbelief. The flames died down and Kirara stood tall, in fact, she stood as tall as a big pony. Sesshomaru's mouth would have dropped had he less control. He stood up, staring at Kirara, as if he couldn't believe what he was seeing. He reached out as if to touch her, but pulled back. He nodded slowly, and sat heavily back down. Kirara burst into flame again, but this time went back to her miniature size. Kagome realized suddenly that telling this to Sesshomaru put him and his family in great danger from Naraku. Her eyes widened in horror at what she had just done. She had basically signed a death sentence to them. Naraku had shown that he wouldn't stop until she was back in his control. She backed up, hitting the door behind her.
 
“I must go. Naraku will be after you if he figure's out you know. I can't stay here any longer. I'm sorry Taisho-san, I'm sorry for putting you and your family in danger.” Sesshomaru glanced at her, contemplating the situation at hand. He realized that he was already in danger just from helping Kagome out before in the alley way. They must have known who he was.
 
“Higurashi, they would have already known who I was from this afternoon. I was putting myself in danger when I helped you. It's too late for the worriment now. At least now I know what I got myself into. Where are you staying now?”
 
Kagome looked at him with respect at that moment. He had taken everything she had told him, and silently accepted it, well, most of it anyway. He didn't blame her for getting him involved. She smiled slightly in gratitude for that small, seemingly meaningless gesture.
 
“Currently I am not staying anywhere. I was just going to go to the library until they closed, then head to the supermarket for a while. I was planning on sleeping in mostly a crowded place only as long as Kirara was there.” Sesshomaru looked at her in amazement. She was living like that, and still tried to live a semi normal life, with school and all. He got an idea, something that he would take up with his parents, but something nonetheless, that would help her out greatly. He was about to mention it when someone knocked on the door. Kagome jumped slightly, and moved closer to Sesshomaru out of instinct. He looked amused for a second as he told them to come in.
 
“Excuse me, mi'lord, but your parents asked me to tell you and your friend that supper was ready.” Jaken, a little old man who constantly hung around Sesshomaru and did his every command, was the one who had interrupted them. Sesshomaru had no idea why Jaken insisted on calling him `mi'lord', but he did it all the time, even though Sesshomaru had told him countless times not to.
 
Sesshomaru looked at Kagome, who was in turn looking at Jaken with a slightly befuddled look on her face. He decided that it would be a good time to ask his parent's about his idea, and that there was also the fact that Kagome and him also haven't eaten in a few hours at least. It was probably longer for her then him.
 
“We will be right down Jaken. Go on ahead; we'll meet everyone at the table.” Jaken bowed respectfully before turning around and heading towards the dining room. Kagome was still looking at his retreating form, when Sesshomaru put his hand on her shoulder.
 
“Are you ready to eat?” She nodded, and Sesshomaru led her out of the study, and down the hall towards the rest of the family. Including, he was sure, their newest addition.
 
 
Sanguinea:: Well…this isn't as much as I had hoped to get out, but as like before, I want to let people know I'm still alive. So here is chapter number two. Few points of interest…
 
:: Kagome knows something about Sesshomaru she ain't tellin' yet. And Sesshomaru himself doesn't even know.
 
:: Kagome has had a very broken past two years. She hasn't told Sesshomaru everything, but all will be revealed in due time.
 
There is information on my author page regarding email notifications, and updates. Please refer to that page for info. I'll try to inform you of my progress regularly.
 
That's it for this chapter, please let me know how I'm doing with the revision. If you read the first one, do you like that one better, or is this easier to read? Thanks to all who enjoy my story!