InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Abandon Ship ❯ Down the Rabbit Hole ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"Bye mom!" Kagome yelled, quickly throwing her heavy yellow backpack of her shoulder and making her way to the well house. She would have like to at least give her family a proper goodbye before she left, this time for a month as it was summer vacation, but she had already stolen an extra day. She would never hear the end of it from Inuyasha if she was even a minute late now.

"Good luck, Kagome," came the returning call as the door of the well house slammed shut. Adjusting the backpack on her shoulders, Kagome moved to sit on the edge of the dry well. It had been well over a year before that she had traveled through the well for the first time.

Her fear, anger, and disbelief she had gone through during her first trip to the Sengoku Jidai had long since left her, though things had definitely gotten stranger as time passed. Depending on your outlook, freeing Inuyasha, the arrogant inu-hanyou that was now her traveling companion, from the Goshinboku was either the worst or greatest thing she ever did. On one hand, she got the adventure most dreamed of, she certainly wouldn't fail history class when they studied that period, she made unbelievably good friends, and, to top it off, she got to miss school. There were downfalls though. She could no longer lead a normal teenage life as she had the secret of going there, and practically living in the warring period had matured her beyond her friends. Not to mention her life was put on the line nearly every day and several people were out for her blood.

It was worth it though, at least in her mind, and she was more than willing to keep going. As she prepared to jump over the lip of the well, she remained oblivious of the figure that had followed her in.

'One, two, thr…' Kagome had begun counting in her head, before…

"Higurashi-san?" Kagome's head shot around quickly, causing her neck to ache. She proceeded to rub it, not exactly helping, as she forced on a smile.

"Hojo-kun! What a surprise." However blatantly obvious the forced tone was in her words, Hojo didn't catch any of it. He really was unbelievably oblivious… to everything. "What are you doing here?" Hojo smiled.

"I came to see if you would go on a date with me, seeing as you were in school the last couple days. But if you're still feeling ill it's fine." Hojo's face attained a worried expression. It had come to amaze and annoy Kagome how his faced displayed his feelings tenfold. It was even worse than her, and she thought she was bad at hiding emotions. Then again, she doubted Hojo had ever actually tried to hide his emotions.

'Wait,' Kagome thought, 'he just asked me out… oh no. This is taking up too much time. I hate outright rejecting him, but… Grrr… I can't be sick…

"Higurashi-san?" the boy inquired, getting even more worried at the lack of answer.

"I… I'm sorry Hojo, but… I, uh… I'm going… on vacation… uh… to, uh… see some friends. I… I won't be back… uh, till… ummm… till school starts. And I'm… uh… I'm leaving… soon." Kagome had to refrain from banging her head on the well. It was obvious she was lying, why else would she stop to think in the easiest spots. Even the most trusting person should be suspicious of that… However, Hojo was far more trusting than the most trusting person it seemed.

"Oh. It's alright then, I understand that you can't change your plans on such short notice. I'll see you later." He then gave her another enormous smile and walked out of the well house.

"Uh, yeah, later…" Kagome, still confused at Hojo's naïveté, turned to jump in the well once again. "Here we go…"

"Oh… Higurashi-san!" came a yell as she reached the bottom, turning and bumping into the edge of the well as time enveloped her.

'What was that about?' she asked herself, turning again in time to see another figure coming towards her. ' That must be Inuyasha, come to yell at me for being so late. Well, gotta face it sooner or later…' The figure, however, was not Inuyasha as it proved, speeding through and knocking Kagome to off course.

A yelled 'Sorry' was heard as Kagome hit the other side, a little too soon for her memory and a little to rough for her body. She struggled to maintain consciousness, but soon relented to her aching body, snuggling deeper into the white, sun-warmed sand.

***************

Argh… I'm trying to make these chapters longer! Obviously it's not working. I thought this would be the best place to leave off, though it is a cliffhanger. I'm sorry. Well, I'm headed out for vacation tomorrow. It's going to be a long, long car-ride, so when I get back I'll hopefully have the next chapter for both this and my other fic "Lost Soul of a Lost Child".

Ja ne!

Sesshiria