InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ About Kikyo ❯ About Kikyo ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Inuyasha belongs to Rumiko Takahashi.
 
SPOILER WARNING! I have read the latest versions of the manga online, and this fiction is based on some events occuring there. So if you don't want to know what's ahead, don't read this fanfiction!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
In this fanfiction, Kikyo has died. And it was not a death in bitterness, but in sweetness. She and Inuyasha reinstated their love for one another and Inuyasha's grief allowed Kikyo to die as a normal woman, not a miko.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------
Night. Kagome stared into the fire, or rather beyond it, into another world. Shippo was safely sprawled in her lap, her arms slightly embracing him, making a nest-like safehold. Sango and Miroku sat on each side of Kagome, both glancing toward her ever so often. Kirara sat attentive by Sango's side, her red eyes blinking now and then.
 
No one knew for sure where Inuyasha was, but he was probably not too far away. Since their encounter with Kaou and the flowers that fed of grief, pain and despair, Inuyasha had opened up and been able to accept his loss. However, he still needed to be alone from time to time to think... and to grieve. The group said nothing of it, at least not to him.
 
But they did talk to Kagome about it.
 
“Kagome-chan... Is Inuyasha away brooding again?” Sango finally asked.
 
Kagome blinked several times before raising her head to meet Sangos gaze, her face puzzeled.
 
“Brooding? No, why?”
 
“We just think it's unfair to Kagome-sama. Even with Kikyo-sama dead, Inuyasha's still...” Miroku interrupted.
 
“Still what?” Kagome asked, a question and a warning in her voice.
 
Irated on her way too nice friend's account, Sango blurted out:
“Inuyasha's still brooding about a woman who couldn't even accept him for what he is instead of being here with you! Kagome-chan, how can you tolerate that?”
 
Kagome shifted her gaze between her friends, making sure not to move too much and awake Shippo.
 
“Is that what you believe? That Kikyo couldn't accept Inuyasha as he is?” Kagome asked slowly, taking both Miroku and Sango aback.
 
“Well, she did want Inuyasha to turn human, you've said so yourself, Kagome-sama.” Miroku answered.
 
“Eh? No, it wasn't like that at all. I think you've misunderstood that.”
 
Sango blinked.
 
“Misunderstood? What is it to misunderstand? Either you accept someone as they are, or you demand them to change.”
 
Kagome shook her head and sighed, turning her gaze towards the flames.
 
“When I first heard the story of Inuyasha and Kikyo, I thought so too. But whit time, I realised I made it all too simple. Inuyasha would never be so attached to someone who couldn't accept him as he is. That's why I spoke to Kaede-obaa-chan about it.”
 
Kagome looked up, a familiar glimmer in her eyes. Tears...or memories of tears.
 
“That was even before we met you, Sango.”
 
Both Miroku and Sango was taken aback by this. That was really a long time ago, considering how much had happened since then.
 
Kagome turned to the flames again, not expecting either one of her friends to say something.
 
“Kaede-obaa-chan told me of things I didn't know before. Of Tsubaki cursing Kikyo, making her fall in love with Inuyasha... a love that would lead to the end. However, I'm pretty sure Inuyasha and Kikyo would have fallen for each other anyway.”
 
Despite the easyness, almost happyness in Kagome's voice, Sango raised her hand.
 
“Kagome-chan...”
 
“It's alright. That's how it was. But what I was about to say, is that Kikyo and Inuyasha really loved one another.”
 
Kagome paused and blinked several time, all while smiling. Miroku leaned forward, his eyes concerned, but he said nothing. Kagome cleared her voice, but it hitched a little during her first words anyway.
 
“Kikyo being a miko prevented them from having the time they would have needed to build up trust in one another. They explored together, fought together, talked to one another in private sometimes...but that was all. Most of the times, Inuyasha was just watching Kikyo doing her chores from a distant. For them, there were never any chanses of getting a routine setting camp, of finding out how they liked to spend the evening the most. But it's those things that builds up trust. Routine. The ability to predict what the other is thinking.”
 
Kagome shifted a little, her uneasy movement making Shippo turn in his sleep and nuzzle into her shirt.
 
“Even without that trust... they both still wanted to be together. And as long as Kikyo was a miko, that simply couldn't happen.”
 
Both Miroku and Sango straightened their backs when comprehesion dawned to them.
 
“So it wasn't really about Inuyasha turning human...” Sango begun.
 
“...but about Kikyo-sama no longer being a miko.” Miroku finished.
 
Kagome nodded, sadness and some kind of soft acceptance in her eyes.
 
“At the time, Kikyo believed that the Shikon no Tama would disappear if Inuyasha wished to become human...and that her responsibility as a miko would disappear along with it.” Kagome said.
 
“Leaving her free to build a life with the one she loved, on equal basis.” Miroku said, thoughtful.
 
Sango sat quiet.
 
Kagome gazed at her, her eyes mild, but forceful still.
 
“It is perfectly entitled for Inuyasha to grieve and dream about Kikyo. After all, she loved him so much that she was willing to alter herself in order to remove the obstacle preventing them from being together.... not him being a hanyou, but her being a miko.”
 
The barb hit home. Sango twitched, but simply nodded, dejected.
 
Silence fell around the campsite for a long while. Only the sparks from the fire was heard.
 
“Kagome-sama...”
 
Both Sango and Kagome jerked their heads up at Mirokus sudden voice, even if he spoke softly.
 
“Kikyo-sama was wrong, wasn't she?”
 
“Eh?” The surprised sound came from Sango, not Kagome.
 
Kagome was just quiet and waited for Miroku to continue. Miorku sat with his eyes closed, his staff in his lap to lean on.
 
“Even without the jewel, Kikyo-sama would still have her spiritual power. And even if she lost them, she herself wouldn't be able not to help people.”
 
Miroku opened his eyes, knowledge in his orbs.
 
“Kikyo-sama could never not be a miko. She was born to be one.”
 
Sango pondered that and followed up Mirokus saying.
 
“Uh. That would explain how she was able to overcome her hate for Inuyasha and yet again find the love she once had. A miko's purity...”
 
Kagome shook her head.
 
“Kikyo never lost her love for Inuyasha. She was just huring so much she thought she did. Otherwise, you're right. Kikyo would still have been a miko, even after Inuyashas wish. However, we will never know how they would have fared then. But I think...they would have been very happy.”
 
Kagome turned her gaze to the starry skye and sniffled, a tear escaping her eye. She quickly caught it and erased its trace.
 
“Kagome-chan...” Sango said, worried.
 
“No, I'm ok. I just get so sad thinking of all the happines lost because of Naraku.” Kagome said, her voice broken.
 
No words were needed after that. Moving completely in sync, both Sango and Miroku scoffed closer to Kagome so that they all touched one another, offering her support.
 
It wasn't just Inuyasha and Kikyo's story. It was Sangos, Shippos and Mirokus too, and many more, some still unknown. Kagome was grieving them all, hurting for all those that was hurt, thinking of everything lost, both what once was and what could have been.
 
And for that, Sango and Miroku loved her.
Because there had never before existed such a beautiful, generous soul.
 
 
 
Gazing from a tree a bit away, Inuyasha silently agreed.
 
He had heard them.
 
He had heard every word.
 
He wished he somehow could join his friends, sharing their emotions and show his own, but it just wasn't possible. It was all too close to his heart, too painful to openly display. He didn't mind them knowing, but...to share it, to hurt openly like Kagome... no, he couldn't.
 
Only with her.
 
Only with her, alone.
 
When leaving camp, Inuyasha had silently hoped that Kagome would follow him, because he needed to talk. Still, he couldn't ask, because that would reveal too much to the others. When he realised she wouldn't, Inuyasha had returned to camp, waiting for everyone to go to sleep. That's when the conversation began.
 
Inuyasha could see the silver rivers that was Kagomes tears even from afar. Normally, it hurt him to see her cry. But not this time.
 
This time, she cried for him. And her tears for his loss, for his and Kikyos loss, soothed the aching pain in his heart. It didn't remove it completely, but made it more bearable.
 
Made him able to feel something else that heartbreak and hurt.
 
Inuyasha sat still on his bransch, hidden in the shadows. He was mourning, crying through the eyes of the reincarnation of his once beloved, grieveing what once was... but at the same time rejoicing in what was still there.
 
He wouldn't talk to her tonight.
 
He no longer needed it.
 
But...there was something he did need...
 
 
 
It was the hour before dawn. Shippo, having slept much longer than everyone else, woke up only to find he was alone in Kagomes sleeping bag. Still half-asleep he lifted his head and looked around, almost immediately spotting Inuyasha holding Kagome up in a tree. Content, Shippo let his head fall back and continued his sleep.
 
When he woke up and found Kagome next to him, he figured he had been dreaming.
 
 
 
I am always - ALWAYS - in favour for Inuyasha and Kagome, but I still think it's an insult towards Inuyasha to believe he would accept and love somebody who didn't love him as he is.
However, I do believe his relationship with Kagome is a lot better than the one he had with Kikyo.
 
When he's stupid with Kagome, Kagome fights with him about it, meaning she dislikes his way of thinking/talking and uters her own, as an equal.
 
When he was stupid with Kikyo, Kikyo laughed a little and corrected him in a friendly way.
Meaning she thought her ways of thinking superiour. That is a personal trait I cannot stand (even if I possess it myself).
 
I am the kind of girl who enjoys attention. Rewievs is a good way to give it.