InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Across the Cafe' I Saw You ❯ Chapter V ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: No, I do not own Inuyasha, Rumiko Takahashi does. But if she's interested in selling, I could buy it for… *rummages through pockets* $1.50, some lint, and a Yu-gi-oh card. ^_^
 
Across the Café I Saw You
By: IsisTheEgyptianGoddess
Chapter V
On the Job, and Rin's Boyfriend
 
*Last Time*
 
“Hello there. I'm Naraku Onigumo. I'm your floor advisor.”
 
“Yeah, but it was hardly even there. I didn't even remember feeling it until you said something…”
 
“Well, he gives me the creeps. Did you see his eyes??”
 
“Oh hey! I'm Rin. I'm new too.”
 
*This Time*
 
Kagome, Sango, and their new friend Rin were driving in Kagome's car to the Café on the Arbor.
 
“So, is it a good place to work?” Rin asked
 
“Well, we like it.” Sango said
 
“The pay is fairly good, and our boss Kagura isn't too bad. She's just a bit rough around the edges.” Kagome said looking in the rear view mirror.
 
Sango turned around in the seat to look Rin the eyes, (btw, Kagome is driving, Sango is sitting shot-gun, and Rin is sitting in the back)
 
Rin looked at Sango, “Does Kagura have a policy or something with new employees?”
 
“Well,” Sango said thoughtfully as Kagome turned on the blinker as they made a turn, “She puts most of her new employees on what she calls a “trial period”.”
 
“What exactly does that entail?”
 
Kagome answered the question, “Well, if Kagura puts you on “trial”, it means she likes what she heard in your interview. She doesn't really use application forms. And so when you're put on trial, it's mainly to see if you can handle the job, and how you work with your co-workers and customers.”
 
“How long does it last?”
 
“Depends.” Sango began, “Kagome was on trial for about… was it two weeks Kag?”
 
“Yeah. About that long.”
 
“O.k. then. Kag was on trial for two weeks, but I was on trial for about three even though we started the same day.”
 
“Oh. What else does the job require?”
 
“Well, we're on the dinner shift. But we just mainly run the registers, give people their orders, and that's about it.” Sango said
 
“Sometimes, if we get bored, we wait on tables.” Kagome continued, “We're also allowed to keep any tips we get.”
 
Rin nodded thoughtfully, “It doesn't sound too hard…”
 
Sango laughed, “Believe me, that place can get real busy real fast! You've gotta know what you're doing and what your fellow partners are doing, otherwise accidents can happen.”
 
“Accidents?”
 
“Accidents with hot coffee.” Kagome answered wincing, “It's not fun.”
 
Rin flinched at the thought.
 
“It doesn't usually happen though.” Kagome reassured her, “Ah here we are!”
 
Kagome put the car in park and the three girls got out shutting the doors forcefully behind them. As they walked through the door, the first thing Kagome and Sango noticed was Kagura working behind the counter. That in itself was odd considering Kagura usually kept to her small office in the back. As soon as they walked in, Kagura's head flew up. Her hair was back in its no-nonsense bun held together by an orange lily shaped pin.
 
“Kagome! Sango! There you two are!”
 
“We're here Miss K. Where's,”
 
Sango didn't get any farther with her question because she was interrupted by an irate Kagura.
 
“Those two bums!? They didn't show…again! That's the third and last time they haven't shown up without even calling in! As of today, those jerks are fired!”
 
The three girls were silent as they approached the counter while Kagura ranted on unawares.
 
Kagura sighed rubbing her temples,
 
“I need to find good help around here…” she looked at Kagome and Sango, “No offense girls.”
 
“None taken.” Kagome answered cheerfully tying on her apron.
 
Sango nodded in agreement while pulling her hair up into a high pony tail.
 
“Who's this?” Kagura said suddenly noticing Rin who had been standing quietly as if waiting to be noticed.
 
“I'm Rin.” Rin answered quietly, “I wanted to see about getting a job here…”
 
“What? Speak up!”
 
“I wanted to see about getting a job here!!”
 
“That's better. Rin, if you would like to get the things you want, and be noticed, the only way is to speak out and up.”
 
“Yes ma'am.” Rin said softly
 
Kagura cupped a hand to her ear.
 
“Yes ma'am!”
 
Kagura smiled slightly.
 
“Well, if you want a job here, I think we have a few openings. Come back to my office Rin. We'll talk there.”
 
With that said, Kagura led Rin back to her office leaving Kagome and Sango to run the registers themselves.
 
Kagome and Sango looked out at the small group sitting together at connected tables. It was going to be a long shift.
 
* * *
 
Inuyasha Ikkoku and Miroku Kozou walked into Café on the Arbor and took a seat at their table by the window.
 
“Wow, it's not too busy here is it?” Miroku observed looking around
 
“Not usually when I'm here.” Inuyasha looked around too. His stomach gave a lurch when he saw the two girls behind the registers. It was Kagome!
 
“Hey `Yasha. There's your girl.” Miroku said grinning and waggling his eyebrows suggestively.
 
Inuyasha's cheeks turned red slightly and he reached over the table and punched Miroku in the arm.
 
“Ow!” Miroku rubbed his arm glaring at Inuyasha resentfully. “Find a better way to express yourself!!”
 
Inuyasha rolled his eyes and glanced over at Kagome again.
 
`Shit! She looked this way! What if she saw me staring?! What if she thinks I'm a stalker?! I always seem to show up when she's on her shift! Shit!!' Inuyasha thought panicking.
 
“Hey Yash! Yash? Did you hear me?” Miroku poked Inuyasha between the eyes.
 
“Shit Miroku! What?!”
 
“I said, `I'm going to go get some beverages.' Do you want anything?”
 
“Oh sure. Medium café latte with extra whipped cream.”
 
“O.k. You got it. By the way, I'm gonna go extract an exact time and date from Sango for our day out. Watch and learn my friend. Watch and learn.” Miroku winked and sauntered over to the counter.
 
“Oh good God.” Inuyasha muttered before staring out the window. “Here we go again…”
 
* * *
 
Kagome and Sango lounged against the counter. Again it was slow. Kagome supposed she shouldn't complain. Lounging was better than working till your fingers and feet fell off. But at least when it was busy you had something to do besides stare off into space. Or something meaningless like that. Suddenly, the door opened, and two familiar people walked in. Kagome looked over and her eyes widened in surprise.
 
“Hey Kagome.” Sango whispered eyes flicking to Inuyasha as a hint.
 
“Hey Sango.” Kagome shot back her eyes flicking to Miroku.
 
Both girls smiled and bumped foreheads laughing quietly.
 
“Hey guys!” Rin said coming to stand in front of the counter.
 
“Hi Rin.”
 
“How'd it go?”
 
“Well, I…” Rin paused for dramatic affect.
 
“Tell us!” Kagome ordered excitedly practically bouncing on the balls of her feet in anticipation.
 
“Yeah come on! You two were back there for a long time!” Sango exclaimed leaning over the counter to look expectantly into Rin's eyes.
 
“I got the job!” Rin finished breathlessly.
 
“Awesome!!” Sango and Kagome squealed making a few heads turn.
 
Kagome's cheeks pinked a little but she listened avidly as Sango and Rin went on unawares.
 
“So I'll be on the shift before you guys!”
 
“Cool!”
 
“Great!” Both girls exclaimed.
 
“Rin, I'm sorry, but our shift is for another,” Kagome paused to check her watch, “four hours. We can't give you a ride back till then.” She gave Rin an apologetic look.
 
“It's o.k.” Rin said happily, “I gave my boyfriend a call and he can come and pick me up.”
 
The door to the Café opened and a guy walked in.
 
“And that's him.” Rin said happily looking over.
 
Kagome and Sango looked over, and felt their eyes widen slightly. Rin's boyfriend had medium length blonde hair, baby blue eyes, and a body that wouldn't seem out of place on a swimsuit model.
 
“Kagome, Sango, I'd like you to meet the man in my life, Dwain. Dwain, these are my new friends, Kagome and Sango.”
 
“Hello. It's a pleasure to meet you.” Dwain said putting his arm around Rin's waist.
 
Kagome and Sango's eyes widened further. Dwain was British!
 
“Well, thanks for everything guys. But Dwain and I have to get going.” Rin said cheerily.
 
“I hope to see you around campus.” Dwain said waving.
 
Suddenly, Kagome and Sango's power for coherent speech returned.
 
“See ya!”
 
“Bye Rin!”
 
Rin waved as she and Dwain left via the door and walked to Dwain's car. The other guests left as well (they were all one group).
 
“He seemed… nice.” Sango said
 
“Wow.” Kagome breathed, “Lucky girl.”
 
“Yeah.” Sango agreed emphatically.
 
Suddenly, a voice broke through their reverie. They both looked up to see Miroku.
 
“Hi.” He said looking at Sango, who just smiled and answered,
 
“Hi.”
 
Kagome looked from one to the other, and said quickly, “Sango, I'm gonna go serve tables alright?” And with that, she quickly grabbed a pad, a pen, and got out of there.
 
* * *
 
Inuyasha looked toward the counter, and there was Kagome making her way over.
 
“Hey.” She said when she got there
 
“Hi.” He replied intelligently.
 
“Can I get you something?”
 
“Well my friend…”
 
“Miroku right? I think he and my friend…”
 
“Sango?”
 
“Sango.” She nodded, “Are a little busy.”
 
“Well, can I have a medium café latte with extra whip cream?”
 
“Sure thing.”
 
“Oh.” He added as an after thought, “Can I also have another piece of cake?”
 
She gave him a brilliant smile, “Of course. Be right back.”
 
Kagome made her way around the two flirting lovebirds, got the café latte and cake and made her way back.
 
“Here you go Inuyasha.” She said pleasantly setting down the beverage and the piece of chocolaty goodness.
 
“Thanks.” He said picking up his fork, when suddenly
 
“Hey!” Miroku said over Kagome's shoulder making them both jump a foot in the air.
 
“What Miroku?” Inuyasha growled.
 
Miroku ignored him and took Kagome's hands in his (think on the show when he first meets them and he and Kagome are standing in front of the sunset)
 
“My dear lady, I have a favor to ask of you. My currently speechless friend would love to go on a date with you!”
 
“MIROKU!!!” Inuyasha yelled embarrassed beyond all words.
 
“I…I…” Kagome was speechless. Was it true? Or was Miroku playing a horrible joke?
 
Inuyasha punched Miroku in the arm.
 
“Come on lover-boy, we're leaving!” he snarled his cheeks burning.
 
“I'll pick you up tomorrow night at 7:30 sharp o.k. Sango?!” Miroku called while being dragged away.
 
Kagome stared after them in shock. What had just happened here?
 
 
Isis: Hey again everyone! I just want you all to know that this is not really how fast I write. I actually have all of the chapters written up to chapter 9. I am currently working on chapter 10. I only have time to really write during the summer, and even then I'm busy with summer reading and such. Just a warning… I really hope you enjoyed this chapter. Inuki and cherry_blossom17 this extra chapter is for you!