InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ All I have: Two Months ❯ Returning Home, For Good ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
 
Chapter Two: Returning Home, for good
 
`Soft grey ghost crawl up my sleeve
and peer into my eyes
While I within deny their threats
And Answer them with lies'
 
Remembering by Maya Angelou
 
 
Inuyasha twitched a little and squirmed a bit as he leaned against the tree. It had been a week since Kagome had left. She was sick; he could smell it all over her. That's why he didn't try and stop her from going, and why he hasn't gone to get her yet. The others were busy doing things in the village while he tried to get a little sleep on a high branch. Something was poking him in the side and he was beginning to get very, very annoyed. He squirmed even more and this time he fell out of the tree and hit the ground.
 
Upset, tired, and lazy, he just laid on the ground. He really didn't feel like getting up after that. `Feh, just let everyone suspect that I'm dead. Yeah, they can all go to hell for all I care anymore,' he thought. He was getting seriously upset over Kagome. She had smelled halfway dead when he last saw her. She was hurt, and in a lot of pain. `Why does she always have to hide it from everyone that she's hurt?! Damn, she could be dying and still smiling telling everyone she's ok.' Reluctantly he turned over to look at the sky. He sniffed the air, he thought he smelled Kagome. He passed it off as another hallucination. He had been seeing her and smelling her scent for days on end now. He closed his eyes and tried to imagine her there with him. Smiling, stroking his hair, taking off the prayer beads that bind him to her. He let that one off; he was not bound to her by prayer beads. He was bound because he loved her. Even though he wouldn't admit it. He had almost drifted asleep when he heard an earth shattering scream.
 
“INUYASHA!”
 
It was Kagome. He jumped up and was at the side of the well in less than a second. It was Kagome. She was at the bottom with a dazed look in her eyes. She looked sick, she smelled worse. He couldn't stand to see her like that. “Oi! What do you want?” he yelled.
 
“Please help me up,” she said in a shaky voice. She was about to faint. `Damn.' She still had tears in her eyes from what her mother said. Inuyasha could hear the tears in her voice. If it weren't for that, he would've said something stupid and make her mad at him. Instead, he jumped down and gracefully picked her up. He slung her bag around his shoulder and gathered her in his arms. “Thank you Inuyasha.”
 
“Feh,” he huffed. Once at the top he began off towards the village. Kagome grabbed him and he stopped. “What?” his voice was soft, caring, almost loving.
 
“I need to do something,” she crawled out of his arms and walked weakly over to the well. She was tired from the visit to the doctor, from running all the way home, from having her mom tell her she needed to go. She stood at the well and focused. Kaede had taught her how to seal things, in case she ever needed it. She took a breath and began. Bright light glowed from her hands and she released the energy. She closed her eyes and fell.
 
As she had expected, she did not hit the ground. She fell into the warm, strong arms of her Inuyasha. He had been there the moment he saw her close her eyes. He now had her in his arms. He squeezed her tight and nuzzled his nose into her hair. She didn't smell sick there, her shampoo was covering that up. “Are you okay Kagome?” he asked. Even he couldn't hide the loving care in his voice. Lucky for him, Kagome didn't really notice.
 
“I'm fine, just tired. I need to get some rest. Thank...you…goodnight…Inuyasha,” she had fallen limp in his arms. He put his ear to her chest and heard her heartbeat. It was the only thing assuring him that she was still alive. He looked at the well and jumped in. To his surprise, he just found himself at the bottom of the well in his time.
 
“Kagome,” he whispered her name lovingly. `You closed the well. Something happened.' He sighed. She looked so peacefully there in his arms. He really didn't want to move her. He looked at the sky to see the sun was setting. He didn't really want to go back. Not yet. So, he leaned against the sacred tree and curled Kagome up in his arms. In the morning he would ask her why she closed the well.
 
 
When Kagome opened her eyes, she saw the night sky outlined in red. She shivered and tried to wrap the red blanket around her more. A soft grunt came from her pillow. Her eyes snapped open even more as she realized where she was.
 
Tears formed in her eyes as she saw his peaceful face. She was going to have to break the news to him somehow. She was going to have to sit and watch him deny it, then get angry, then slowly realize she was leaving him for good. This was the way her mom was when she found out about her father. Kagome sighed and snuggled in closer to Inuyasha.
 
`Inuyasha, I'm sorry I wasn't strong enough to keep this from happening to me. Oh Inuyasha, you can't protect me from this. I wish you could but…' she began to sob, but she hid it in his hoari. `I'll tell you in the morning.' She looked at what she always knew was the same, no matter which time she was in, the sky. The stars shining bright above. Kagome closed her eyes and made a wish on every single one that she could find. She didn't wish for a cure, she didn't wish for it to go away. She only wished for Inuyasha to understand, for him not to get anger. After wishing on the last star in her sight, she fell asleep in Inuyasha's arms.