InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Alpha ❯ Phase 02 - To be a fish, lost in a forest ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sango reviewed the profile for the fox clan. They were normal, a bit smaller than the normal clan, and had a decently sized territory. She bit her lip in confusion. Why were they plotting to attack both Kagome and Normality?

"Sexy," Miroku greeted, and then tossed a manila folder on her desk. Sango looked up in playful anger.

"Pervert."

"Just commenting on the beauty around me," he replied, smiling flirtatiously. Sango shook her head, half laughing. Sometimes Miroku was unbelievable. "There's been another murder," he stated seriously, "And it's two from the fox clan."

Sango arched her eyebrow. "Why didn't we hear about this sooner? And why wasn't I out there to collect the evidence?"

Miroku frowned. "That's the problem. These were mailed to us."

Sango's jaw dropped. "Mailed?" She immediately grabbed the folder, ripped it open, and surveyed the report. A lump of concern began to form in her stomach. "Miroku . . . has somebody hacked into our files?"

Miroku shook his head, "No. Why?"

"This is done in my style. Right down to the way I use no capitols."

"Let me see," Miroku commanded, and took the piece of paper from Sango's slightly shaking hands. If anyone had gotten in their server and stolen their profiles on the clans, the anti-yokai groups would have more than enough knowledge to attack the groups. And if extremist groups like Normality and Demon Be Gone got a hold of the information . . .

Miroku whistled. "No wonder the fox clans are going to attack. They killed parents." Sango's eyes widened further. "And furthermore, parents of a young pup."

"How young?"

"Not young enough to survive entirely on his own."

Sango cursed aloud, and then looked down at the pictures of the crime scene. Whoever did it had taken their time. The bodies were stabbed, slashed, and shot. To add to the shame, their fox pelts were stolen as well.

A close-up of the forehead showed a smiley face sticker, with the logo `Normality' scratched with a knife below it. Sango's stomach turned once more. The probability of humans striking down a demon with such ease was low; the chance of killing two overprotective parents was even slimmer. Either Normality had hired a demon hunter, or they were being framed.

"Miroku, survey the connection logs for the past month. Either Normality got into our files, or someone is framing them. Also get me a list of demon hunters in this area. I'll call Kagome."

"Why'd they have to live all the way out here," Kagome moaned as she checked the clock. The day kept getting longer and longer. First she started her day dealing with Inuyasha, then she received a bomb threat from Normality, then Inuyasha tells her the fox clan is plotting to kill her and the leaders of Normality.

It took three hours to drive out to the relative location of their territory, plus another hour or so to hike out to their headquarters. Luckily they had gathered new information a week before, and the chances of the clan remaining in that spot were high. If she remembered correctly, fox death rituals took about two weeks to complete.

Still, this whole trip took about eight hours out of her day, and would be the only thing she had time for. Sango and Miroku were the only other people on her staff that could actually do things timely and efficiently; probably because they understood ancient folklore and rituals.

Kagome's cell rang, and she answered it with a simple `Hello.'

"Kagome, its Sango."

Crap, she sounded worried. "What is it?"

"Someone hacked into our system and took our profiles on the clans," an explicative left Kagome's mouth, "And someone mailed a case file on the murder of two fox parents."

"Parents?"

"Of a young pup." The day got worse. "And the father had a smiley sticker and Normality scratched onto his forehead." And that was the icing on the cake. Kagome sighed, and told herself to remain calm. "I looked up demon hunters, and it turns out one entered town a couple of days ago. I'm not sure if she is connected with this though."

"The pictures - did the cuts look human or demonic in form?"

"Swords and a gun. A knife was probably used to get the pelt. I can't tell their origin without an autopsy. And that's impossible now." Kagome bit her lip. Any false move at this stage could cost her own and other innocent lives. And with lack of information, the right decision could be wrong. "Kagome," Sango asked after a moment of silence, "Are you there?"

"Yeah, yeah," Kagome shook her head, "I don't know what to do. Just gather what you can, and give me updates. I'm about an hour away from the fox clan's territory." Sango confirmed her orders, then hung up.

Kagome stared at her phone for a moment, then looked back to the road, only to see a small animal walking across it. She screamed, and slammed on the brakes. . . .

Inuyasha entered his country mansion, both a center for his business and a home to his clan. The mansion itself looked decent enough, not too decorated and decorated enough to look homey. Several of his clan were in the dining room, having their lunch.

"Inuyasha-sama," a female in heat cooed, "You can sleep with me tonight."

"Feh," Inuyasha scoffed, and continued walking through his home, watching and taking a head count.

"He's so cold hearted," the rejected hound said.

"He probably has the hots for a human. He is only a half-breed, remember?" The two girls laughed haughtily. Inuyasha dismissed their remarks on a superficial level, but they had a valid point.

He had no alpha female. Every clan but his own possessed a female leader. It's not like he didn't get any offers, but his female counterparts weren't enough. When he chose his alpha, it would have to be for life. His pride commanded it.

The wolf clan had a different alpha every six months, chosen by the females fighting to the death. The fox clan chose by number of successful hunts. The panther, rat, snake - all the clans - changed their leaders based on the groups needs.

The dog clan based its leader on strength. Whether they liked it or not, he proved his strength and gained his position fairly. "Inuyasha," a male voice called, knocking the dog demon out of his temporary world.

"What is it Naru," he spat, a little harsher than he meant to. Naru raised his eyebrows and grinned mischievously.

"Somebody have a bad encounter with Kagome?"

"Feh," he scoffed, and promptly entered and sat in his office. Naru followed suit, and eyed Inuyasha with worry. "What is it," Inuyasha asked in a half sigh a moment later, "If it's about the fox clan, I already know."

"The wolf clan sent a pup to us earlier. A boy was seriously injured." Inuyasha's ears perked with surprise, then flattened down to his head. It was an insult and a threat at the same time. By sending a mere child, the wolf clan was declaring the dog clan weak and helpless.

"I guess I'll have to show who's boss again," Inuyasha replied, smirking and cracking his knuckles. "How's the pup?"

"He's in the hospital. Doctors said it recovery would take awhile, but afterwards he would be healthy."

Inuyasha nodded. "Tell the parents to give the hospital bills to me. I'll take care of them." Naru nodded, then stared at Inuyasha again. He knew that the stubborn man liked, possibly even loved Kagome, and his stench of worry not only effected him, but the clan as well. Their leader could not show any signs of weakness to the clan without paying the consequences of loss of respect and stability.

Inuyasha knew what his advisor was doing. Naru had the most sensitive nose he had ever seen, the man's intuitive empathy helped him know exactly what people felt at any given time. Had his arm not been cut off, he would be the leader of the clan. Sesshoumaru was to thank for that 'gift'. Thankfully, Naru blamed Sesshoumaru only, and did not express his hate to Inuyasha. In fact, the older man thought of Inuyasha as a younger brother.

"Where is she," Naru asked softly, partly to soften Inuyasha's disposition, partly to discourage eavesdroppers.

"Driving to the fox clan's territory." Naru raised an eyebrow, questioning Inuyasha's current presence.

Kagome swerved and hit a tree on the side of the road. Thankfully she hit on the passenger side, was wearing a seatbelt, and the airbags took care of her head. She sat in the car for about minute, stunned. She scanned around her, and saw a fox pup trudging along the road. Kagome gasped, jumped out of her car, and ran to the pup. The pup looked up at her with glazed eyes. He had to be marching for days without food or water, and as if to confirm her thought, he wearily collapsed in her arms.

Kagome gasped as she felt each of his ribs touch her arm. His fur looked dull from malnutrition, his skin bled from cuts and thorns, some scarred over and oozed pus. When he breathed, it wheezed out, sounding like a whistle she played with as a child. If she didn't feel the urgent need to help him, she would've started weeping. The tattered baby looked worse than a starved an abused human child.

Kagome held the pup, wondering what her next action should be. She could try and take the pup back to his clan or she could call someone to come pick her and the pup up. Kagome looked at the sky, and noted that it was just after midday. The fox clan's territory was an hour's drive. She would have to call someone and pray that the missing child didn't anger the clan further.

She walked back to her car, opened the back door, and gently set the sleeping child inside, careful to sweep out any glass that fell. She then reached for her cell phone and scanned her address book. Sango had to be making her press statement right about now, which meant her and Miroku were out of the question. Her parents were out of town on a second, third (?) honeymoon, Kaede was too old . . . Inuyasha?

Kagome chuckled softly. The mutt got on her speed dial from the sheer number of times he had made trouble for the police. Could she call him? She scanned the rest of her numbers, and found no one. The blasted dog was the only one left. Sighing, she pressed 'dial'. His phone rang once, twice, thrice . . . Kagome scowled after the fifth ring. "I know you're there! Pick the -" Inuyasha answered - "damn thing up!"

"Kagome," he asked in a slightly confused tone. Kagome said hello, then bit her lip. She suddenly felt weary of asking him for help. After a moment of silence, Inuyasha hung up. Kagome stared at the phone in stunned silence before dialing his number again. This time, to her relief, he picked it up immediately. "What do you want Kagome," annoyed.

"I need your help."

"With," he replied, and Kagome detected a bit of amusement in his voice.

"My car's wrecked, and I have a malnourished fox pup in my backseat."

"You got in a crash," Inuyasha dubiously asked.

"The pup was walking in the middle of the road. I swerved to get out of his way and crashed into a tree. Luckily it hit my passenger side, and I wasn't hurt. I'm an hour's drive from the fox clan's territory, and two hour's drive from the city."

"So call someone else to pick you up. I'm not indebted to you."

"You think I'd call you if I had someone else? Don't think so high of yourself," Kagome retorted, then realized that her words weren't going to help her case any. "Listen, I need your help, and I'm asking you politely. Will you please come take me and this pup to a hospital?"

Inuyasha looked at Naru, who wore an expression of amusement on his face. He nodded, expressing his approval. If word got out that he had gone to save Kagome again not only would the females be irritated, the males might decide to kick him out of `office'.

Naru then mouthed the words `I'll go with you' and Inuyasha grunted his yes. Kagome thanked him, and hung up. "Looks like she needs you, eh," Naru teased.

"Feh," Inuyasha scoffed, but a small part inside was glad the wench had chosen him for help. Sure, he had been her last resort, but she still considered him a resort. He shook his head, for a second he it seemed he was human.

"Shall we bring some food for the child as well?"

"Yeah. Some fresh meat. It sounds like the child is the one that lost his parents to that Normality attack." Naru said nothing in reply, he just frowned and walked out the door to prepare some food.

Hopefully the fox clan knew the child left and didn't think Kagome had kidnapped the pup.

Sango moaned as she caught the time. "I don't feel like messing with the press," she muttered as she grabbed her make-up bag. Fortunately Kagome's speeches came equipped with notes and italics, so Sango could know which words to emphasize and which ones not.

Hopefully Normality hadn't gone public about the Fox Clan's death threat. Knowing Lei however, the first thing she did was call up the press. Sango frowned and began putting on her make-up.

Usually, the more refined you dressed for those blasted meetings, the more likely people were to believe your words.

"Sexy," Miroku called as he opened the front door. Sango fought a laugh. When she first met the guy his antics irritated her. Now she just found them amusing.

"How many did you count," careful not to stab her eye with the mascara wand, "And how many of those were anti-yokai?"

"Twenty reporters, five national, ten were from anti-yokai groups." Sango groaned. Over half would be firing accusations and questions every two seconds.

"What'll you do if they ask you about the death threat?"

"Nothing, for now. What can I tell them? I'm sorry, but it seems you murdered parents of a young demon? Like that'll work for anti-yokai groups. We don't have enough information to make a formal statement either."

"So you're basically gonna pray they don't ask you that question?"

"Good guess buddy," she replied, then added the final touch to her hair. "Ready to go?" Miroku smiled and extended his hand like a knight. Sango shook her head and reached for it, and the two walked out to meet the reporters.

"Where are you Inuyasha," Kagome yelled into the forest, "I'm dying out here!" Her voice echoed for a moment, and Kagome slouched against the outside of her door. It was about the time Sango would make her press statement, and Kagome wanted to make sure everything ran smoothly.

She snuck a glance at the fox pup, who shivered and shook as if true evil possessed his heart. "Inuyasha had better bring food," she muttered, then threw a rock at the trees. "Maybe I should call him," she asked, then shook her head. "I'd better be content knowing that he's coming. Cocky brat."

Her ears perked at the sound of an incoming vehicle, and she looked to the horizon, praying it would be a certain silver-haired dog demon. Kagome's eyes widened when she saw Inuyasha's advisor/'brother' Naru in the passenger side.

Normally Naru would stay to make sure the clan kept in line. The wise man must've been worried about the situation to come. Kagome stood, wiped her bottom, and waved.

Inuyasha drove up behind her car and got out along with Naru, who carried an ice chest.

"You owe me wench," Inuyasha greeted in his usual cold manner. Kagome smiled and nodded. By now she was used to his cold hearted manner of hiding feelings.

"The pup," Naru asked, and Kagome nodded and opened the back door. Naru reached out and touched the pup's forehead. "He has a fever," he said, and reached inside the ice chest and pulled out a wet cloth.

Kagome watched him care for the child, impressed. "Are you alright," Inuyasha asked, looking her body over.

Kagome felt the heat from his gaze and blushed slightly. "Of course. After dealing with you, a wreck is nothing." Inuyasha smirked and shook his head.

"Get everything that's valuable out of your car. We'll take you home and the boy to a hospital."

"If they'll care for him," Kagome muttered bitterly and walked to her car. After everything seemed fine, the quartet left to the city.

"Sango," the reporters yelled, trying to get her attention. Half were spewing out questions, and none were about the Chinatown incident. Sango cursed under her breath. She would have to wing it and pray they didn't ask something she couldn't answer.

"What's this I hear about a death threat to Kagome and Lei," a man from MSNBC asked.

Sango composed herself and replied, "The matter is being taken care of as we speak. However, the threat is not the effect, but the cause."

"What cause?"

"That is not our reason to release."

"Then why target Kagome too? Why would they target someone who is helping them? Are you getting work done?"

Sango had the urge to bit the guy's head off. And had Miroku tapped her shoulder, she probably would have. Kagome was better suited for these things, she knew how to deal with their stupidity.

"Dealing with yokai is like dealing with people. You have certain rules and manners to obey. We handle each yokai clan individually. You can be certain deals are being made daily," she answered, careful not to use the english `demon'.

"The demons are an abomination! They should all be killed outright," a woman carrying a sign that said `God demands we not obey Satan!' cried out.

"That would be murder," Sango blurted out, then realized her mistake. She cleared her throat and quickly amended, "The yokai have been alive as long as we have, possibly even longer. Most have an immense knowledge of the earth and history and can better society if we would just work together. I'm sure most of you remember a time when we enslaved humans because of race. I can tell you now that what you are planning to do is no different."

The press jumped over that statement and Miroku gently pushed Sango back, and held up his hand, saying `No more.'

"I screwed up, didn't I," Sango asked, and Miroku nodded. "Your last statement was good, but you were dodging the questions during the interview. They're going to jump all over you on the news debates."

Sango grimaced and sighed. "I know, I know. . . Let's call Kagome and see how her meeting went."