InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ An Inu named Neko ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 2
 
Before Neko could answer Sesshoumaru appeared.
"Because, dear brother I told her not to." Sesshoumaru landed on the branch above them, “Unlike you your pup actually knows how to listen.”
"Hey, Uncle Fluffy, can I play with Rin?" Neko looked hopeful as she asked. A girl around the age of sixteen appeared on the ground. Her long chocolate colored hair danced around her waist as she nodded for Neko to come down to her. Inu Yasha shot up and stood in front of Neko with Tetsusaiga ready to be drawn. Neko popped her head out from around Inu Yasha and was about to jump off the branch when she felt her father's hand grip her shoulder. Inu Yasha started to admit a low growl.
Neko's eyes slowly moved towards her father `Is he growling? Why? Fluffy seemed nice to me when I first saw him.'
------------------------------------- Flash back to two week earlier -------------------------------
Neko was racing through the woods. Eager to get home and talk with Inu Yasha about the trick she had just played on Shippou.
When she was half way home she smelt something, which made her slow down to a stop. She sniffed the air and thought she smelt her father. `Daddy? No, that can't be there's something different about it. What is that odd smell?'
"Daddy? Is that you?"
"No." In a flash Sesshoumaru was standing in front of her. Neko slowly backed down, she knew when she was in the presents of a higher being, but she only had the slight comfort of knowing she was with in her father's territorial bounds.
"Who are you? Why do you trespass in my forest? If you hurt me my father will kill you!" Neko growled out as she looked for her fastest means of escape. Sesshoumaru laughed at the whelp, she actually thought that half-breed could hurt him. Sesshoumaru then saw a slight change in Neko's demeanor when Rin started to approach. Neko was still unsure about the man in front of her, but her curiosity out weighed fear by far. She looked behind him and saw a girl followed closely behind by a toad imp.
"Wh-who are you?" Neko's voice wavered when she realized Sesshoumaru was still standing in front of her.
"I'm your Uncle Sesshoumaru, this is Rin, and Jaken,” he said with a cold authority as the two moved to the side of him. Neko's curiously poked the toad imp with one of her claws.
“Oi, you insolent little child I should beat you. You're worse than your half breed of a father,” the tiny creature squawked.
“Now, Jaken, that is no way to talk to a young child,” Rin gently scolded, “Hi, I'm Rin, and you must be Neko.”
Neko slowly nodded her head as she examined the older girl. She seemed friendly and nothing in her scent said that she wasn't anything but pleasant. Sesshoumaru's scent was mingled in which was enough to keep any other demons away.
“How old are you child?” Sesshoumaru's icy voice broke the spell of Rin's ginger voice and Neko was losing her nerve.
"I'm three,” she managed to say with some boldness and added, “and a half." she puffed up trying to make her self taller.
“And my careless brother lets you out on your own?” his voice held something similar to shock and distain.
"No, I have protection," Neko tried to show her fangs as a defense, “my father will be here any minute.”
“Are you sure?”
“Y-yes?” Neko looked around.
"Fluffy, stop taunting the poor thing, can't you see she's scared?" Rin rushed to Neko and hugged her, “It's ok I believe you. Your father would never let anything hurt you.”
“I don't doubt that Rin, but it only takes a second for a demon to come along and snatch the pup, and all she has is speed. Which isn't always going to help her.”
"Yes, but isn't that why we've come to see Master Inu Yasha in the first place," Rin looked over to Sesshoumaru.
"Ay, but I think for now I want to hold off this visit,” he looked to Neko, “has your father given you a sword?”
“No, mom says that they're d-dan-gor-is,” Neko answered form the comfort of Rin's arms.
“Would you like one,” never sounded like a question it was more of a statement. Neko nodded with amazement, for she'd seen her father use Tetsusiga on numerous occasions. Neko loved her father and to be able to weld a sword like him would be the highest of highs for her.
“Fine, comeback to this spot fourteen sunrises from now and there will be one for you,” Sesshoumaru turned and started to head out of the woods, but he turned back with a playful glint to his eyes, “Neko, do not tell anyone of this encounter.” Neko understood there was power in his words and couldn't find her words but nodded instead.
“Do you know how to count to fourteen?” Rin asked as she smoothed down some to the frayed tendrils of Neko's hair. Neko answered with a dumbfounded uh-uh, for her mother always enjoyed teaching her numbers since she was able to speak. “Ok, sweetie, we'll see you then. Come on Jaken before Master Sesshoumaru leaves us.” With that they left.
When they left Inu Yasha came through the woods to see a mystified Neko. He'd smelt his brother and his followers but when he asked Neko she said nothing.