InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ An Inu-Yasha What if...? Story: The Sacred Tree ❯ A Bittersweet Farewell ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

[Konnichiwa minna! R. Cybelle Gil here (a.k.a. Kaoru ^_^x Kagome) saying "Yes! This is another Inu-Yasha fan fiction." I hear groaning but I'm going to ignore it completely. I'm telling you I LOVE this anime and manga! I haven't been this excited since Kenshin. So if any of you want to complain… Email Me! :P Yes, I'm silly. Anyway… This is a short…uh…well…it was a short Inu-Yasha story I wrote that begins with an alternate ending to the anime/manga. You could say it's a WHAT IF story. I really like the way it came out and am quite proud of it. It's kind of bittersweet but it has a nice ending (god I love Kagome and Inu-Yasha! Definitely one of the coolest couples in existence. Right up there with Kenshin and Kaoru! Yay!). And if any of you remember my Rin story, well, you know all that complicated mumbo-jumbo about the age ratios of youkai/hanyou/human…Well, it's EXTREMELY important in this story. In fact, it's one of the key elements…And remember how I said that the subject of Inu-Yasha's 'disappearance' would be explained…it is in this story. I hope you like my tale, because I sure did! ^_^x Enjoy!]

The Sacred Tree A WHAT IF…? Inu-Yasha Story

Prologue: A Bittersweet Farewell

Kagome had already said good-bye to Kaede-ba-chan, Sango-chan, Miroku-sama and Shippou-chan at the village. It hurt so much having to say sayonara to all of them, knowing she would never see them again and that they would only live on in her memories. She had made so many friends here. It tore her up inside knowing that when she returned home they would have all been dead for hundreds of years. It was so painful.

But the most excruciating of the pain was having to say farewell to Inu-Yasha.

She stopped before the Bone Eater's Well and her heart clenched. This was it. It's over. And there was nothing she could do about it. Nothing she could do to prevent the inevitable. Her eyes watered and her heart pounded with denial. She didn't want it to end. She wanted to spend the rest of her life with him. But the finality in the air, sentenced her doom.

Kagome grabbed at the pendant (it's not the Shikon no Tama) around her neck with one hand. Kagome's greatest fear had always been, and still was, the fear that when Inu-Yasha looked at her, the one he saw and desired was Kikyo. That to him, she was only a replacement for the one he had loved so long ago and still loved to this day. The pendant she wore had been a gift from Inu-Yasha's father to his wife, Inu-Yasha's mother, as a symbol of his love. But when Inu-Yasha had gone out of his way to get it for her, she thought she would have died from the anguish. He had wanted to let her know then that although he had chosen Kikyo, she was the one who still had his heart. To Kagome, it was a symbol of Inu-Yasha's unspoken love. Unfortunately, it had also given her hope. A hope that had been quickly dashed.

She turned around to gaze into Inu-Yasha's trembling eyes, her own feelings reflected in them. This was going to be the most agonizing farewell and the most necessary. She couldn't stop the tears that began to overflow in her eyes.

Kagome closed her eyes tightly, trying to hold back the tears as she let go of the pendant and then reached into her pocket pulling out the Shikon no Tama. It was now or never. She could at least leave him with a piece of herself. She then abruptly took his hands and placed the Shikon Jewel there, closing his hands over it. She gave him a light smile. "This is for you, Inu-Yasha."

He could only stare at her. "I don't need this, Kagome."

She shook her head. "Yes, you do. Besides, it belongs in this time with you. Didn't you say that to me the first time we met? It belonged to you. It was promised to you. I'm just keeping the promise. It's yours, Inu-Yasha."

His heart clenched and he slowly put the Shikon no Tama over his head, his eyes gazing into hers, his sorrow and love reflected in her own. Inu-Yasha, unable to help himself, moved toward her and took her in his arms. And without a word, he bent his head and kissed her with all the love he was feeling within his heart.

Kagome felt tears running down her cheeks as she kissed Inu-Yasha back. Naraku was dead, the Shikon no Tama was restored…and it was time for her to go home. Inu-Yasha wouldn't be coming with her. He would stay with Kikyo. Oh, gods. Why?

She knew he had made his choice long ago, but it still killed her. The pain was so great it was wrenching in her chest. Kagome kissed him back with all the love in her heart, her hands gripping onto his clothing in a desperate attempt to keep him with her. She took in his scent and the taste of him, wanting it to be with her for the rest of her life. She never wanted to eat again, because then she would lose the taste of him on her lips and in her mouth.

Inu-Yasha moaned lightly as he pressed her up against him. Kagome never wanted the kiss to end. She wanted to be suspended in time like this forever. But as he slowly pulled away her heart screamed, a sob rising to her throat. She couldn't bear it. Her teary gaze desperately tried to memorize every line and feature of his face, engraving it into her mind for the eternity without him that awaited her.

"Inu-Yasha…"

He closed his golden eyes, his hands flexing against her clothes, an inner plea to keep her by his side. He stared at her tearstained face and didn't dare wipe the tears away. If he did, Inu-Yasha knew he would break down. Gods, why did they have to be so unfair?! Why?! He pulled Kagome once more into a desperate hug and inhaled her sweet scent. But he had already made the commitment to Kikyo and Kagome had to return to her own time.

Inu-Yasha bent his head to her ear, still pressing her tightly against him. Kagome couldn't stop crying, it just hurt too much.

"I just want you to know something, Kagome. You were never Kikyo's replacement." He sighed in her ear. Kagome's eyes snapped open, and she felt lightning shoot up her spine and she trembled. "I know you won't believe me no matter how many times I tell you, but I will tell you this." She heard him suck in his breath. "After a while…" he murmured. "I stopped seeing Kikyo in you…but whenever I saw Kikyo… I saw you." Kagome gasped and his arms tightened around her. "I mean it, Kagome. It's the truth. Only you made me happy. You made me laugh, you brought me joy, you gave me peace. For the rest of my life, I will never forget you. Every time I see Kikyo…I will see you."

Kagome sobbed and held him back, desperately clinging. She couldn't even speak. When Inu-Yasha pulled away, Kagome wanted to reach out and grab onto him. Please…oh, Kami-sama, anyone…Please… She knew she had to let him go…but her soul called out for her to stay with him. Please…

Inu-Yasha's eyes shown with his unshed tears. He closed his eyes. "Sayonara, Kagome. Go. Go now."

She had to tell him. Wait…she hadn't told him what was in her heart yet. "Inu-Yasha…"

His eyes snapped open, tears spilling. "I said, 'Go'!"

And with that, he pushed her into the well.

"I love you, Inu-Yasha…" she screamed as she fell back into her time. "Always."

Kagome's last word echoed with time within the well. Inu-Yasha fell to his knees beside the well and wept out his heart silently. I love you, Kagome!

Inu-Yasha eventually stood and turned around to face his friends and Kaede. He turned to the old one-eyed Miko with a smile. "Kaede-Baba?"

"Hai, Inu-Yasha?"

"Seal this well tightly with your magic. And, as soon as possible, have a shrine built around it. I never want to see it again."

He turned to his friends, glad that none of them made a comment on his tearstained face. He was going to have enough problems explaining it to Kikyo later. "I'm only going to ask one thing from all of you. Never, ever say her name again. I want the people here to forget. Kagome…" Inu-Yasha gulped and turned his face away. "She isn't from here, so it should be like she never existed. Please, that's all I ask."

Inu-Yasha walked past them silently and then briefly paused next to them. "From now on, I'll be protecting the Shikon no Tama." He then continued walking away from them and from the well, his heart breaking with every step he took. He didn't see their shocked expressions and then their sadness as he left behind the one he loved most. Kagome, oh gods, Kagome. I love you so much. I will never forget you, I swear.