InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Anastasia: The Lost Princess ❯ Prologue: A Jewel ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Anastasia: The Lost Princess

By: RayJay

Prologue

* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old style gowns graced the shiny marble floor as high-heeled shoes, accompanied by fancy boots clacked against it. The orchestra was playing a soft but beautiful waltz that seemed to keep the mood light and warm, as it should have been. I was pleased as I watched my eldest daughter dancing with her husband, looking as young and as beautiful as ever. What made me even more proud were the delightful children that they had produced over their years of reign. They had birthed two strong and handsome sons and five lovely, graceful daughters. I was pleased and felt very warm and welcome into their splendid home.

But, on this night of the ball, my attention was drawn to my youngest granddaughter. My favorite, whom I loved and doted on constantly. She did not grow spoiled like her older sisters. She stayed sweet and good through all of the things I had done for her. She was the most magnificent of all of the children. At the age of nine, she showed promise of being a splendid beauty with a strong will to match any who would oppose her in the future. She also possessed certain miko powers of healing and purification that she could not harness. She did not know she had them but I could sense it in her life force for I also had some. Sweet child, I thought as she smiled at me and came over, her large brown eyes sparkling in happiness.

"Grandpa! You're here!" She exclaimed and threw her arms around my neck, nearly making me fall forward with her sudden weight. I chuckled and pulled back from her, observing her. I had to smile back at her for her expression was too familiar. I had seen her face once before, many years ago when her mother had been nine.

"Yes, Kagome my dear, I am here," I replied and drew a pouch out from the fancy outfit I was wearing. "I have a gift for you," I whispered, watching as her face lit up but she bowed her head in respect.

"Grandpa, you don't need to get me anything. Just you being here makes me happy," she looked up again with a flash of guilt in her eyes. I had to laugh again. I believe that she thought I always was thinking I was required to get her something every time I saw her.

"I get you gifts because I love you. I want to get you presents," I told her reassuringly. She simply nodded and a small grin tugged at her lips. I handed her the pouch, observing as she opened it very carefully and shook the gift I had gotten her out of it very carefully. The small pink orb landed in the palm of her hand and she looked at it curiously.

"Grandpa, what's this?" she asked me, fingering the small, glowing ball that she held in her hand.

"Do you remember the stories I've told you about youkai and men who seek the jewel of four souls?"

"Yes," she replied, then her eyes widened and her fingers closed over the jewel. "You mean… This is the shikon no tama?" she whispered to me. I nodded to her and she gasped. "Grandpa! This must have cost so much money! I can not take this!" she exclaimed and tried to give it back to me.

"Of course I can. You will be able to keep it safe, love," I replied calmly, closing my hand over her small one that held the jewel of four souls. "You are special. You will be able to protect that jewel."

"Yes… Grandpa…" she stuttered, not sure of what to make of this. You will find out in time my child. I will teach you, I thought before an ominous cloud loomed into the room, silencing the orchestra and all conversation that had been going on. The air suddenly became thick and it was a struggle to breath.

My daughter's husband stepped forward and growled, his dark brown eyes narrowed as his hands clenched into fists. "Naraku…" he hissed.

(A/N: There's the prologue! I know it's not very long but I'm trying to get the base of the story thought out. That's what I had so far. Review please!)