InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ And They Call It Puppy Love ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 3: Chapter 3


Universe: Inuyasha

Pairing: SessKag (VERY OOC. It's AU though, and I doubt Sesshoumaru would be such a homicidal freak in present-day Japan. I think.)

Genre: AU, Romance, Slice of Life.

Disclaimer: Inuyasha and its characters do not belong to me (sadly).

Author Notes: Hey Guys, I'm so so sorry for the wait! Ange, reporting for fic duty. Back by popular demand, here's chapter three of my silly fic. As a bonus, its +1K longer than my previous chapters, since I made you all wait so much. Again, sorry for the delay, I haven't had much of a chance to write what with recent projects that I'm juggling. Plus, I had a few issues with fitting some characters into certain plot points, since this wasn't really meant to go anywhere except just a short little drabble in my head :')

Special shoutout to "stictches17" for commenting on every chapter. You're a sweetie. And a virtual hug to everybody who has commented so far! Comments give me life and let me know if you guys like the story or not. So all constructive criticism or comment are welcome!

This has been one of the most enjoyable chapters to write thus far. I hope its just as much fun to read, too. As always, please R&R, I love hearing your thoughts! Here it is, enjoy.

And They Call It Puppy Love

Chapter Three

888

"You want safe?
Find a nice puppy you can train to come heel.
Love's supposed to be scary.
Because if there's no fear,
there's no thrill."

Nora Roberts

888

"You're here!" Rin shouted, disentangling herself from Kagome's embrace and running towards the imposing figure of Sesshoumaru.

Kagome wanted to find the nearest hole and crawl into it.

How much of that incredibly uncomfortable conversation had the white-haired man heard? How long had he been quietly standing there listening to his retainer being rudely questioned by his nosy neighbor, to the point of (unintentional) tears? And what horrible thoughts would he harbor of Kagome's not-so-subtle manipulation of the only living thing that seemed to matter to him besides his two dogs and his ailing wife?

Forget the hole, Kagome wanted to find a fricking volcano and jump in it.

For his part, Sesshoumaru's expression remained impassive as the little girl relayed her magical evening with her new BFF. He didn't seem particularly interested in the story, his face revealing neither boredom, concern, amusement or any sort of effusive emotion. But he did listen attentively to the girl's incessant rambling, and that had to count for something. When Rin paused for breath, Sesshoumaru raised one elegant finger. Rin immediately shut up, as if her batteries had been yanked out. Neat trick.

"Did you behave, child?" he asked gravely.

"Yup! Rin-chan was a good girl! And I had loads of fun too!" Rin nodded, beaming.

"Hn." He said expressively.

Before the little girl could pipe up and continue her fascinating story about Un eating a snail during their game of fetch, Sesshoumaru placed a hand on the girl's head. "Take Ah and Un back home. Jaken is, as your mother is fond of saying, "having a fit"."

Rin stifled a giggle behind her hands and nodded. "Okay!" she sang and immediately sped away in direction to her house, completely forgetting Kagome.

As soon as the girl was gone, a very uncomfortable silence settled around the two grownups. Not even a convenient wind blew by to rustle up the leaves as a means of distraction. As the silence stretched on, Kagome wondered if the man were ever going to say something. She should probably seize this chance to escape.

Standing up and stretching theatrically, Kagome smiled politely at the man. "Well, that was lots of fun, but I should really get inside. Eat dinner, take a bath, get ready for bed, you know." Kagome babbled, slowly climbing up the steps backwards, her eyes never leaving Sesshoumaru's still figure, like prey watching a predator. She was almost at the door, almost -

"You will stay." Sesshoumaru commanded cooly.

So close!, Kagome thought miserably. She wondered if she would look like a complete lunatic if she made a run for it. Kagome watched Rin's silhouette in the distance, feeling oddly betrayed at being abandoned so easily to an unspecified fate. So much for besties, Kagome thought forlornly.

Rin finally out of sight, Kagome turned to face her executioner.

Bright yellow eyes looked back with frightening intensity, and Kagome had the terrifying thought that he would strike her down with laser beams or something equally appropriate. If Sesshoumaru had heard even half of what had been discussed during the last five minutes alone, then she was screwed. Sure, Sesshoumaru probably wouldn't kill her for pulling information from his little girl like an amateur FBI interrogator. But putting herself in his shoes, she was definitely in for something. It was the undetermined nature of that something that had Kagome shaking in her sneakers.

Kagome attempted to look as innocent and upstanding as possible, a difficult task when she was sweating bullets. "Um," she nervously started.

Sesshoumaru's eyes narrowed, a scowl tugging the corners of his lips down. Good gravy, for a man with as many facial expressions as Kagome could count in one hand, he sure put them to excellent use. He was glaring at her with that indecipherable look again, except instead of making her toes curl, it was making her heart flip-flop in what surely was an impersonation of a heart attack.

When Sesshoumaru began to walk toward her, Kagome abandoned her fears of looking crazy and nearly ran bolt for the door.

Anybody looking at the scene from the outside would think it very normal, placid even. A man walking slowly towards his neighbor's door. No biggie. Inside her heard though, Kagome was cursing up a storm and shrieking at the top of her mental lungs. Sesshoumaru looked pissed,at her, and God only knew what he was going to do about it. It was already dark, and no neighbors were around, just them and his bright yellow eyes and-

God, why did he have to be so gorgeous even when he was scaring her shitless?!

"Um!" Kagome tried again desperately.

Sesshoumaru stopped mere inches away from Kagome, who was trying to lower her blood pressure with sheer will alone. Quietly he studied her, head tilted slightly to the side as he seemed to ponder something. Probably the best way to hurt her without leaving evidence…

Suddenly, he spoke. "When can we start?"

Start what? The torture session? How about never?

"Come again?"

"When may we begin, woman?" he said huffily, annoyed at having to repeat himself.

Kagome licked her lips nervously. "Can you elaborate, please?"

Sesshoumaru sighed at her. "You are free all days after 3'o'clock?" he asked, raising one skeptical eyebrow.

"Yes. Everyday." Kagome replied, still lost where this was going. Nerves made her mouth move in speech, a terrible habit which resulted in babbling like an idiot. She heard the words come out in a horrified trance. "It's not like I have anything to do when I get home besides play with Ah and Un, and cook dinner. Maybe watch some Netflix. No chill, though. You know, like "Netflix and chill." Just…no 'chill'. Not that you care…" Please, for the love of God, someone stop her.

Way to sound like a pathetic loser, Higurashi.

"Are you sure there would be no problem in the future with any prospective suitor regarding schedule?" Sesshoumaru pressed.

Kagome was once more thrown for a loop. "What?"

"You say otherwise, but a woman your age surely has her days reserved for …courtship." His voice held no inflection. It was almost too nonchalant.

…Wait.

Was this his roundabout way of asking if she was dating?

How quaint.

Kagome crossed her arms defensively, blushing. "I assure you, my schedule is pretty flexible at this time. By choice." She emphasized.

Pleased with that answer, Sesshoumaru nodded as if deciding something. "I see."

There was a long span of silence. Kagome could hear her heart thudding in her ear drums.

Then more silence.

And even more silence.

Served with a side of silence.

Kagome was about to wave a hand in front of Sesshoumaru, thinking he had fallen asleep with his eyes open, when he blinked.

"It is decided." He said abruptly. "You shall be Rin's tutor then."

Kagome nearly swallowed her tongue.

"Excuse me?" she said, not even hiding her bewilderment.

"You offer tutoring lessons?"

Oh, she did say that, hadn't she? "Umm, yes, sometimes but I-"

"Rin's grades have been slipping, due to the circumstances to which you are now privy." He frowned, as if her knowledge of their family affairs offended him. "I have tried to tutor her myself in the past, but Rin finds my technique rather-"

Terrifying?

"-lacking." He finished, scowling. "I have yet to find a way to make her grasp certain subjects, and I am at a loss as to what to do." He sighed with obviously restrained frustration.

"And what makes you think I'll have better luck?" Kagome argued.

"For reasons beyond my comprehension, Rin seems to hold you in high esteem."

"Thanks?"

"Plus, you are a certified educator who has admitted to having a rather free social calendar."

Trapped myself into that one, didn't I?, Kagome mentally slapped herself.

"This Sesshoumaru is willing to pay, of course." He added, as if money was no consequence.

Well, Kagome could always use the extra cash. God knows a teacher's salary didn't get her all the things she wanted, even if she loved her job. But to tutor Rin would mean to expose herself more to the metaphorical thorn in her heart- er, side. Sesshoumaru seemed to sense her uncertainty.

"Are you against providing your services outside of a school setting?"

"No…" Kagome said carefully. "I'm just not sure if I'll be any help-"

"Do you dislike Rin?"

"What?! No, how could you even insinuate that-?"

"Then the problem must lie with me." Sesshoumaru observed intuitively, yellow eyes boring into hers-

"Look, just shoot me with your laser eyes already and be done with it!" Kagome blurted.

"Pardon?"

"Eh…" Kagome fumbled, not realizing she had actually said that last part out loud. Sesshoumaru's puzzled expression made her blush fifty shades darker. "I didn't mean that. Just…" Just what, though? He had hit the bullseye. Kagome adored Rin and she wasn't against giving tutoring lessons to the little girl. But being involved with Rin meant constant interaction with the man, Sesshoumaru Taisho, whose familial status to the little speck of Sunshine known as Rin was still unknown to her. Kagome frowned at herself. This was ridiculous. Her whole life had to be dictated on whether or not her actions led her to any sort of involvement with one measly man? And once again, just because she was with the girl didn't mean that she would be directly involved with Sesshoumaru. She was a grown-up for God's sake, she could keep things platonic or, at the very least, professional. Plus it would be innocent, right? He wouldn't do anything indecent to her, he was married after all.

And married men never cheated on their sick wives before, right?, a little voice whispered maliciously in Kagome's head.

You still don't know if he's really married!, Kagome whispered back fruitlessly, once again noting the missing wedding band on the man's hand.

Sesshoumaru was looking at her with an expectant look, impatiently waiting for Kagome's answer.

"You promised Rin." He said at last, implying the sacredness of vows, even those made to children. Kagome had promised, though, hadn't she? She had told Rin that she would help her in any way she could. Kagome had the distinct impression that Sesshoumaru was willing to hold her prisoner to her own words.

Kagome would have to be insane to do this. But then again, she had never been a big believer in keeping it safe.

The raven sighed and brushed a tired hand over her face. "Okay. I can do one free trial lesson to assess what exactly are Rin's problem areas in class, and then see where she should go from there or if tutoring is really necessary. I'll do my best to help her." Kagome assured him, leveling gazes with the man. I keep my promises, were the words beneath the words.

Sesshoumaru raised his chin imperiously, pleased, as if the thought of being refused had not even crossed his mind.

"That sounds rather sensible." He said simply.

Kagome sighed, releasing a breath she hadn't realized she had been holding. No biggie, see?

Slowly, Sesshoumaru turned around and began walking down the porch steps. "We look forward to your tutoring lesson tomorrow. 3'o'clock sharp, we'll be here."

"'We'?" Kagome asked weakly, dread and excitement coiling in her belly.

Sesshoumaru sent her a look over his shoulder, yellow eyes flashing in the starlight. "Yes. I plan to be present during all of Rin's lessons...Higurashi-sensei."

Kagome's mouth dropped open, but no sound came out.

Sesshoumaru didn't show it in his face, but she could tell by the line of his shoulder's that he seemed satisfied with this turn of events. With a grunt that Kagome swore could've been a snort, he continued walking towards his home, leaving a gaping Kagome in his wake. The flustered woman stayed watching after the man long after he was gone and night had settled all around her.

All she had asked God for was peace away from this unholy man who led her astray from the path of good. And now, he was going to be there…all the time…in her house…sitting next to her…so close

'Higurashi-sensei…'

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury. Allow one Kagome Higurashi to testify.

There is no God.

888

Sango had two fists stuffed into her mouth, attempting to stifle the fountain of giggles that threatened to spill over. Miroku was looking at Kagome with an equally amused expression, although he refrained from laughing out-right in her face.

Miroku cleared his throat, covering a chortle. "Kagome, when I said to keep away from the family, I wasn't playing 'Opposite Day'. Really, how do you get yourself into these situations?" the man chided, wagging his finger at her.

"I don't know!" Kagome groaned, pulling her hair.

Kagome had been fretting all day at school. She had gotten up really late, due to not being able to catch a wink of sleep as the scene replayed over and over in her mind, which resulted in her being tardy to work. At school, her concentration didn't get any better. She forgot most of her class lectures, ended mixing up dates and names (much to the amusement of her students), and had bumped into every unfortunate soul ignorant enough to come even two feet close to her. When Sango caught up with her during lunchtime, she found the pretty raven attempting to open her locker with an eyeliner instead of her key, eyes glazed over. The curvy Gym teacher didn't wait for Kagome to speak, merely dragged the raven by the arm and headed straight to the school doctor's office to get some privacy, much to Miroku's delight. After much poking and prodding from both her best friends on why she was so out of it, Kagome spilled the beans.

She expected support. What she got was two laughing idiots who she really wanted to strangle right about now.

"Sango, please stop. This isn't funny."

"Like hell it isn't! That guy's got you around his little manicured finger." Sango said, her eyes teary from laughter.

As much as Kagome hated to admit it, Sango was right. Kagome was being twisted around by this total stranger - it was embarrassing! Maybe she really had gone insane. She had to be, because despite all her protests and moral qualms about the situation…she was still considering agreeing to tutoring the girl full time. Even worse, she was looking forward to spending more time with him. As if making a kid get good grades ever got anyone laid.

Only if this was a really bad TV show. Or a fanfic.

"Oh, by the way, the new Teacher Assistants will be arriving today." Miroku interjected her thoughts, smoothly changing topics. "Really?" Sango said, almond eyes gleaming, and Kagome gave an appreciative look at the older man, which he returned with a knowing smile. He knew Sango would latch on to that and forget about torturing Kagome. For a little while, at least.

"Yes. They're supposed to be arriving any second now to fill out the paperwork." Miroku continued, setting down the cups of tea on the table, steam rising softly.

Sango clapped her hands together eagerly. "New whip boys and girls we can push around to do our bidding. Oh, yeah." She gushed.

"Sango, that used to be us, you know. Be nice." Kagome smiled, glad the conversation had shifted from her.

"They weren't nice to me when I started in this dump. It's called payback."

"I'm pretty sure that's not how payback works." Miroku said pleasantly, standing up to pick up their empty paper plates and throw them away. Kagome noted the gentle way he took Sango's from her hands, fingers lingering just a few seconds longer, eyes meeting swiftly. It lasted a mere instant, but Kagome didn't miss it. She said nothing though, and when she saw the slight pink flooding Sango's cheeks as she quickly looked away, she smiled privately. So she wasn't the only one struck by Cupid…

Kagome sipped a bit from her tea, then set it down. "Well, thanks for listening. But I have to go." She pushed the chair back, her friends raising their eyebrows in question. "I'm assigned to one of the new rookies so I should be heading to the main wing to greet him. Totally forgot about it till now." Kagome looked at her wristwatch anxiously. "He's probably waiting for me."

Sango scrunched up her nose in disgust. "Ugh, I hope the rookie's the only one waiting for you. I hate it when you go to the Headmaster's office."

"Sango…"Kagome began patiently.

"Kagome, don't even start. He's a total creep, and you know it. I've seen the way he looks at you whenever you so much as walk past his office. " Sango was full-on frowning, the loathing evident on her face. "Freaking pervert."

"I agree with Sango, Kagome. And this coming from me." Miroku nodded, standing up as well. "Maybe we should accompany you-"

"Will you two relax? It's broad daylight in the main school building. Lots of people around. He wouldn't dare do anything there! Plus the Headmaster is just a really friendly guy, is all."

Sango snorted, and was about to say something when Miroku silenced her by placing a hand on her shoulder. "Very well, Kagome. But don't let your guard down." Miroku's mouth was one grim line. "I hate to put another man down when it comes to these matters of wooing ladies but he… there is something off about the way he treats you." He frowned. " I don't like it."

"This is our school director you guys are talking about. You act like he's going to attack me any second now."

"Your naivety is outstanding." Sango whispered, appalled.

"I'll take that as a compliment." Kagome grinned wryly at her friends, before waving goodbye and walking out of the room. "See you later! Meet up outside after school is out!"

"Only is you don't get kidnapped!" Sango shouted as Kagome rounded the corner.

Ignoring the last comment, Kagome made her way toward the main wing of the school building, trying her best to hurry without flat-out running. She had been so wrapped up in her own drama, she completely forgot about her new duties as a Mentor to the hopeful interns.

Kagome slowed her pace as she reached the small section of offices. Smoothing her hair, she walked the narrow hallway, passing office after office until she reached the end of the hall, which opened up to a small yet opulent waiting room. Exquisite abstract paintings adorned the walls, and although quite inoffensive, Kagome always thought they looked like very vague paintings of spider-webs. Needless to say, she wasn't a fan, but it wasn't her office. She didn't see anybody sitting on the chairs next to the wall where visitors usually waited to meet with the school Headmaster, and Kagome fidgeted. Had the Teacher's Assistant not arrived yet?

"You're late, girl. As always."

Kagome's eyes swerved to the far side of the room until they landed on the owner of the voice, and she could feel her mood sour.

Forcing a smile, Kagome used her sweetest voice. "I apologize. I got caught up during my lunch, but I'm here now." She walked towards the desk where she locked gazes with the meanest human being she had ever met.

The woman sitting at the desk tsked, obviously not impressed with Kagome's apology. Even with the air conditioner and floor-fan at full blast, the Main Secretary grabbed the white-and-red fan that was on her desk and began fanning herself dramatically, an annoying habit that grated on Kagome's nerves. "The Headmaster does not appreciate tardiness, girl. He has more important matters to handle than to wait for a simpleton such as yourself." The woman pinned Kagome with eyes so black they were almost scarlet in the light. Like the color of freshly spilled blood. Her lips were painted a murderous red, and that malicious mouth slowly stretched into a sneer. "If you were going to be this late, the least you could have done was be presentable. What will our new Teacher's Assistant think when he sees our regular teachers looking like absolute slobs?"

There was a reason the mean secretary had earned her nickname. Although somedays, Wind-Witch didn't do justice to the piece of work she was.

"Look, Kagura, how about we skip the niceties today and you just let me go in, hmm? Flattering as your remarks are, I'm really not in the mood."

"No one's ever in the mood to hear the truth, girl." Kagura shot back. But before Kagome could respond, Kagura leaned forward, pressing the speaker on the desk with her fan. "Higurashi is here, Headmaster."

"Send her in." A crackly, deep voice responded.

"Good luck, kiddo. Try not to embarrass yourself." Kagura dismissed in a bored tone, shooing her and pointing with her fan towards the closed door next to her desk.

Kagome narrowed her eyes at the witchy woman, but bit her tongue. With a deep breath, Kagome squared her shoulders and opened the door.

Two men were already inside, and both stood up as soon as they saw her enter the room. She had said men, but the person standing nearest her looked barely out of their freshman year in college. Small, scrawny and with wide-eyed wonder that rivaled even Rin's, Kagome figured the young man must be her new assistant. She nodded at him, and he returned the greeting tentatively. The raven hoped that he wasn't this timid all the time, or the kids would eat him alive. Or maybe he was just nervous.

Kagome opened her mouth to speak, when someone beat her to the punch.

"Ah, Kagome-san, so glad you could finally make it."

Kagome gulped as she remembered who the man sitting on the fancy desk across from her was. Plastering her most gracious smile, Kagome turned to look at the school's Headmaster and Number One Creep.

"Forgive me, Headmaster Onigumo. It was not my intention to keep you waiting."

"I was beginning to think that you had forgotten all about me. And please, Kagome-san, I've told you before. Call me Naraku."

Tall and imposing, Naraku Onigumo was the school's youngest Headmaster to date. He was beautiful, in the way that lava was beautiful: the minute you made the mistake of coming too close to admire it, it would be too late. Soft-spoken and polite in a manner that was always disingenuous; Kagome thought this was what the devil would look like as a man. Scarlet eyes, like the depths of a volcano, bore into hers and he smiled a predatory grin at his youngest employee.

Kagome clasped her hands behind her back to keep them from shaking, as they always did whenever Naraku looked at her like that. It wasn't like he was ever outwardly offensive in any way, but her instincts would constantly spark in his presence. His lovely dark curls framed porcelain skin, and long spidery fingers tapped the tabletop calculatingly.

Tilting his head thoughtfully, Naraku eyes roamed up and down her body, giving her a not so subtle once-over. She shuddered, his expression causing shivers to run all over her body like a million tiny spiders. "You look lovely as always, Kagome-san -"

"I'm sorry, but I believe I have an appointment with you here today?" Kagome cut him off, hands fisting behind her back. She just needed to keep it on a professional plane, that's all. Gosh, she seemed to be having this problem with every man she met lately. "Something about needing me?"

"A curious choice of words. 'Need you'? I do, indeed." The man murmured deeply, and Kagome tried to ignore the undertones behind his words, the leering look that made her stomach lurch.

A cough broke off the uncomfortable exchange. The young man, ignored since Kagome's arrival, stepped forward and stood directly in front of Kagome. The woman didn't know if his blocking Naraku's view of her with his own body was intentional or not, but she felt grateful not having to stare at those disturbing red eyes. The youngster's gentle green eyes were a definite reprieve.

"I believe you are my new Mentor. A pleasure to finally meet you."

He really was young, probably in his early twenty's, his round boyish face just beginning to harden into that of a man's. His expression was kind, oprn, and Kagome smiled at him, suddenly reminded of her younger brother, Souta. She instantly felt a sisterly affection for the boy.

"Same here. You must be the new Teacher's Assistant! My name's Kagome Higurashi!" Kagome replied, eager for the interruption. She bowed quickly and held out her hand to him in greeting, which he returned with a firm, but comforting grip.

The young man smiled shyly, looking up at her from behind a red fringe. He had really pretty hair, the color of orange autumn leaves tumbling silently during Fall. They complimented his forest-green eyes perfectly. "Nice to meet you, Higurashi-sensei. I am Shippo Kinu." He bowed gracefully, his red bangs falling over his eyes. "Please take care of me."

Kagome suppressed a giggle behind her fingers, smiling at the boy. "'Silk Tail', huh? That's a rather pretty name." Kagome remarked, finding the combination darling.

Shippo blushed, but smiled back. "The same could be said of your own name, Higurashi-sensei." He said meekly, and Kagome smiled wider. It didn't come off as a come-on, and Kagome accepted the sincere compliment for what it was. She liked this Kinu, kid. He was sweet.

"Well, now that introductions are over with, let us proceed." Naraku cut in, unamused by the youngster's rudeness earlier. Shuffling some papers, which he handed to Kagome (and which Kagome was careful to take while avoiding touching him), he began explaining. "Kagome-san, for the next semester, Kinu-san shall be assisting you during your History classes and Homeroom. He had great recommendations from his professors, whose professional opinion I respect, and I expect that he'll be quite satisfactory during the following weeks." Naraku pinned the young man down, as if daring him not to live up to that expectation.

"I'll do my best." Shippo promised, leveling gazes with the much taller, broader man. His words were lax and respectful, but the upward tilt of his chin told Kagome that this kid was up to the challenge. She could tell that he didn't like Naraku at all, if the stubborn set of his brows was anything to go by. Brave little man, aren't you? Kagome though with a hint of pride.

"I look forward to your work here at Shikon Elementary. At your willingness, you may stay and watch the teacher's today, or you may formally commence tomorrow at 8'o'clock sharp. That been said, you are dismissed." Naraku said, waving a hand towards the door.

Meeting over, Kagome turned to exit with the younger man. Kagome had almost made it to the door…

"Kagome-san."

A chasm of despair opened below Kagome's feet. She had been so close. Before he walked out of the office, she saw the brief look of confusion flit Shippo's face as he met her own frustrated gaze. The raven-haired woman closed her eyes, took a deep breath then turned back towards Naraku. "Yes, Headmaster Onigumo?" she tried to keep her tone polite.

Naraku walked around the gigantic desk, his movements smooth and economical. He smiled, stalking ever so slowly towards her, and Kagome was distinctly aware that he knew she was trapped. Finally he stopped a scarce few inches away from her, his tall frame looming over her own small one.

"Lunchtime is almost over, and I have a bit of paperwork I have to sort out right now…So I was wondering…" his hand came up, brushed softly against her shoulder, slid down her arm until it stopped just below her elbow, pressing possessively." …if you would like to grab a cup of coffee with me after school." He leaned even closer, and Kagome could've sworn that he took a deep breath, sniffing her scent.

Kagome fought the urge to shake his hand off. This was her boss. She couldn't react too brashly, lest she lose her job over what could be misconstrued as a misunderstanding. Naraku was just being a friendly employer, is all. One who made her extremely nervous and anxious and scared.

"I don't drink coffee. Gives me the runs." She lied swiftly, hoping to turn him off. She did not expect him to smile wider, her refusal only adding fire to his perseverance. Ignoring her obvious discomfort at his proximity, he stepped even closer, enjoying the frightened widening of her eyes. His thumb brushed the inner side of her upper arm rhythmically, and Kagome swallowed.

"Then perhaps tea-"

"Actually, I was hoping Higurashi-sensei could show me around campus." The redhead boy suddenly spoke up. Naraku and Kagome both jumped, turning to look at Shippo standing at the office entrance. He had not left the room as Kagome had initially thought, and with a determined look he walked forward, deftly blocking Naraku and standing next to Kagome. Kagome almost wept with relief.

"I haven't had a chance to look at the grounds yet, and would like to know my way around campus before starting tomorrow. You know, get to know the different classrooms so I don't lose my way and get lost." He looked at Kagome with eyes far more perceptive for someone so young. "If it's alright with Higurashi-sensei, that is."

At first, Kagome was confused. The campus was rather small, it was an elementary school after all. Shippo could probably learn all there was to learn about the school in 15 minutes flat, with no help from her. But then she saw Shippo raise his eyesbrows expectantly, head tilted slightly towards the door, her only escape route, and she quickly caught on.

"That sounds like an excellent idea, Kinu-san." She breathed, siding up to him and looping her arm around his.

Naraku frowned at this turn of events, his upper lip curling. "Kinu-san, I'm sure somebody else could show you the school grounds-"

"No, I definitely think Higurashi-sensei would be best." Shippo interrupted again obstinately, subtly walking backwards with the girl in tow. "She is going to be my Mentor; who better to show me the ropes than her? And I am sure that Headmaster-san has a lot of things to get to, being a director and all. Awful busy, I imagine." Shippo smiled pleasantly. "Wouldn't want to let your responsibilities pile up, would we, Headmaster?" When Naraku glared down at him, Shippo looked back, not the least bit intimidated.

Seeing that he had lost his chance, he conceded begrudgingly. "Very well. But-"

"Perfect!" Shippo exclaimed, and just then the school bell rang, signaling the end of recess. "It was a pleasure to meet you, Headmaster, now if you'll excuse us." And without missing a beat, Shippo ran out the door, practically dragging a grateful Kagome with him. As they rushed past Kagura's desk, the Wind-Witch stood up, pointing her fan at them. "No running in the halls!" She shouted to their retreating backs.

It was only when they were out of the main wing that they finally stopped. Kagome let go of Shippo's arm, catching her breath. A trembling hand came up to her throat, trying to calm her frantic heart.

"Thanks for that." Kagome whispered.

Shippo nodded, then tilted his head to the side, frowning. "Is he always like that?"

Kagome hesitated, not wanting to speak ill of her employer, especially to someone she didn't know. "Not all the time, no." the woman said at length.

Shippo scoffed in disbelief. "God, I hope not. I can't stand people like that, think they can bully others into doing everything they want!" He straightened his turquoise bow-tie, which had become askew during their quick getaway. "The way he kept touching you, ugh. Way too forward, dude! Go take a cold shower or something." He continued his angry rant, and Kagome noticed the loss of the soft-spoken demeanor he had adopted in the office. Instead, his speech shifted into that of a boisterous young man, and Kagome realized that it had all been an act. He was quite the shapeshifter.

Shippo turned towards the older woman, an apologetic look in his eyes. "Look, you don't really have to show me around after school. I just said that to get him off your back. You probably have something else to do, anyways."

"I do, actually. But I don't mind at all and it'll only take a moment. This is a pretty small school, after all. And I owe you one." Kagome said, winking at him.

Shippo grinned at her playfulness then turned serious, almost pouting. "I know I'm just a pipsqueak, but if you ever need me to pull you out of that guy's web, just say the word."

Kagome laughed, warmed to the heart by his words. Even though she was a total stranger, he was willing to go that far for her. "Thank you. I'll keep that in mind, Kinu-san."

The redhead made a face. "Please, call me Shippo. It feels weird being addressed with an honorific by someone older than me, Higurashi-san." The youngster admitted, embarrassed.

"Well, only if you call me Kagome." The woman agreed.

He smiled a childish grin, and Kagome found she definitely liked this kid. He was sincere and genuine. As they walked towards Kagome's classroom so that he could meet her kids, she laughed, remembering Shippo's quick interference at the headmaster's office.

"That was some quick-thinking though." She remarked, recalling how swiftly he turned the tables on Naraku. "You're pretty clever, aren't you?"

The young man smiled, his green eyes twinkling. "As a fox."

888

"Hey! So I didn't see you when I got out, where did you go?"

Kagome was driving down the interstate, making her way home. She had just finished showing Shippo around the school. Even though he could've left anytime during the day, Shippo diligently stayed with Kagome, getting to know the kids in her class better. Despite tomorrow being his official start at the school as a Teacher's Assistant, he remained the entire school day with her, taking notes and helping out. After the final bell, Kagome walked with him around campus as she had promised, and found herself growing to like the young man even more. He was spirited, eager to learn and very in-tune with children in a way that she had never seen before. Although the tour had only taken Kagome half an hour, she still freaked when she realized how late she it was. Kagome was now racing to make it on time to her appointment with Rin, whom she had promised to meet with today at 3'o'clock sharp. Sesshoumaru looked like the sort of man who didn't appreciate tardiness.

To keep her mind off her impending meeting with the stoic man and his sweet ward, Kagome dialed her best friend. "I thought we agreed we'd meet up after school."

On the other line, she heard Sango hesitate.

"Something came up." The Gym teacher said vaguely.

Kagome clicked her tongue, a knowing grin spreading on her face. "Uh-huh. And does this have anything to do with a certain lecherous school doctor?"

Kagome laughed as Sango screeched incoherently on the other side. "Hit the nail on the head, didn't I?"

"It's not what you think! He offered me a ride home, and since I didn't know how long it'd take for you to show the new kid the ropes, I figured…why not?"

"Famous last words." Kagome chuckled. "Thank goodness I wasn't there to witness you two canoodle. After that meeting with Naraku, I would've puked if I saw that."

"'Canoodle'?Ew, don't say it like that, it sounds so gross in a woman your age."

"It's the truth though. Can't believe you finally gave him a chance, although with the way you two have been acting lately, it was only a matter of time." Kagome poked teasingly.

Kagome could almost picture Sango wincing. "So you noticed, huh?"

The raven mentally cheered at the brunette's admission, screaming a silent 'Yes!'"So you admit are together!" She squealed. Sango rolled her eyes at her, although Kagome couldn't see. "Grow up, Kagome."

"Perks of being an Elementary schoolteacher, I don't have to." She grinned goofily to herself, happy for her friends. About damn time, too.

"It's not official yet or anything, ok? You absolutely cannot tell anyone!" Sango yelled, then she groaned, and Kagome knew she was covering her face, hiding a blush. "I can't believe even oblivious little Kagome noticed."

"Oh, was it supposed to be a secret? Because God, you guys are so obvious, how could anyone not notice-"

Suddenly, there was a loud pop and Kagome's car rocked violently as her front left wheel fell into a massive hole in the road. She hadn't even seen it. Lurching forward, seatbelt biting into her chest, she grabbed the steering wheel with both hands, trying to keep the car from swerving to the next lane and crashing into another vehicle.

"Sonnavabitch!" she screamed.

From the floor of the passenger's side where it had flown during the chaos, Kagome could hear Sango's frantic voice crackling distantly. And above that, Kagome caught the slight metallic thump of the front wheel as it grated against the asphalt. Cursing, Kagome carefully pulled the car aside to the curb, parking it and putting on her emergency signals. When the car was finally at a standstill, she set it to park and dove to retrieve her phone. Sango was still shouting.

"I'm here! I'm here!" Kagome said loudly, trying to soothe the panicking woman.

"Jesus Christ! Are you alright?! I heard you scream and then-"

"Yeah, sorry. I was distracted, hit a pothole and…I think I have a flat." Kagome spoke through gritted teeth. She pushed her bangs away from her face, trying to catch her breath. "Look, I'll call you back, okay?"

"You better!"

Kagome hung up, threw the phone on the dash and pressed her forehead against the steering wheel. Her heart hammered against her ribcage, and Kagome attempted to calm down. She didn't' have to get out of the car to know that the front wheel was totaled. Great. Perfect ending to her already crappy day.

Kagome was too busy cursing up a storm under her breath to notice a black, official-looking car pull up behind her. Nor did she see the tall, suited figure climbing out of the sleek vehicle and walking over to her own car with a swagger that spoke volumes of the man's self-confidence. It was only when he knocked on her window that Kagome reacted, gasping at the sound and the sudden shadow hovering above her. Heart racing again, she looked up into a roguishly handsome face. When their eyes met over tinted windows, he smiled.

"Need any help, sweetheart?"

888

And that's that! Buahaha, I am the queen of cliffhangers (I think.)

I know some of you were looking forward to seeing Shippo, though maybe not like this. Tempting as it was to make him one of Kagome's students, I feel it's a trope that's already been done a couple of times, one that I wanted to avoid. Besides, who am I to deprive the world of grown-up Shippo? It was too good to pass up.

I had a lot of fun coming up with different roles for each character. Isn't Kagura the perfect bitchy Secretary? Or Naraku the best creepy Headmaster (or Principal if you live in the states). Tell me what you think, love hearing from you guys.

Wonder who that handsome stranger could be. And next chapter, we'll get to see what Sesshoumaru really thinks about our favorite blue-eyed teacher. Maybe.

Stay tuned!