InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Angel Israfel ❯ The Goat's Rue ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha.
AN: Why do I always have difficulties in starting a chapter? I never had this problem before! Anyway, here goes chapter three….
 
 
~*~
 
The Angel `Israfel'
Chapter 3
“The Goat's Rue”
 
 
~*~
Dear Commander Takahashi,
Tonight, I'm taking The Goat's Ruefrom the Pentagon Museum; the Eden.
Sincerely,
ISRAFEL
 
~*~
 
The weather was extremely hot when Inuyasha entered The Sengoku Jidai that afternoon; he practically had to resist his tongue lolling out like a common dog. For once, his silvery white hair was tied in a high ponytail. He usually was too lazy to take care of his hair except to wash them every other day, putting them into that ponytail had been a struggle; until someone offered a help.
 
He brushed the sweat that appeared on his forehead, but the act was useless since they appeared again soon after. “Where's the damn air-conditioning?! I thought we've just bought a new one last summer!”
 
Sango looked up to him, gave him an odd look, before burst into a fit of laughter.
 
“What are you laughing at?!” the hanyou barked.
 
 
Sango took her time to wipe her tears before stammered her reply, “Go-gomen, Inuyasha! You're just - just-,” she laughed uncontrollably again.
 
Miroku appeared from the kitchen door to see what Sango was laughing for when he stop dead at the sight of his hanyou friend. His eyes widened in horror, “Inuyasha, who exactly did your hair?”
 
“Rin did, why?” asked Inuyasha in return. Rin was a six year old child his half brother had adopted, though he still wondered why that bastard brother of his would do such thing.
 
“Did you even bothered to check on your reflection before you left?” asked the houshi amusedly, during all this Sango was still laughing hysterically.
 
“No time, I need to stop by Myoga's office before I came,” Inuyasha turned to Sango, “What?!” he demanded. The heat was getting into him; maybe it had turned Sango crazy.
 
Before Sango could answer, the doorbell rang. The glass door slid open to reveal a very sweaty Kagome. “It's so~o hot!” she moaned, fanning herself with her own hand. Her hair was up in a ponytail too. “Sango, please don't tell me that the air-con….” She fell silent as she saw something on the hanyou's hair. Her eyes widened, “I-Inuyasha….”
 
The hanyou turned, “What?!” he asked gruffly.
 
Kagome was too shocked to take offence from his rude behavior, “Where did you get that HUGE pink ribbon?”
 
Inuyasha paled. Without another word he stormed to the changing room, slamming the door hard after him.
 
Kagome blinked several times, staring at the closed wooden door.
 
Sango's renewed laughter was the one who broke her trance. Kagome went to her best friend and patted the hyper girl's back, “Sango! Come on, stop laughing!”
 
Sango shook her head, her face turned almost purple from preventing another hysterical laugh. “I'm sorry!” she gasped. She drew a deep breath before she started talking, though she was still grinning when she managed to speak again. “How's your ankle? Your grandpa said it was pretty bad,”
 
Kagome faked a smile, “I'm okay now,” she stopped at that. The real reason she had stayed at home for the last three days was because she was too weak to get out of bed. That's what you get for using magic you hadn't quite mastered yet. Even at the moment her back still hurts. Darn wings.
 
Inuyasha walked out of the changing room, hair down, wearing his uniform without its outer haori. He shot everyone a piercing glare, but Kagome thought he looked like a sulking child. Without words, he made his way behind the bar, and started the coffee maker.
 
Kagome struggled not to stare at him. She didn't know why an upset Inuyasha always manage to unnerve her. She shook her head to throw the thoughts away, but Inuyasha's tense and sulking aura drew her eyes like magnet.
 
Apparently, since everyone was distracted, Miroku decided it was time to do his afternoon ritual;
 
“HENTAI!” Sango suddenly screamed.
 
The houshi didn't have the time to run and was smacked flat on the face. Fortunately, he recovered quickly enough from the impact to duck Sango's next attack and retreated to the kitchen before the girl had the chance to reach a mop. Sango was fuming you could practically see smoke coming out of her ears.
 
Kagome smiled and shook her head hopelessly. She went to the changing room and absently checked her reflection on the small mirror behind the door as she put on her uniform. A thought cross her mind suddenly. She pulled the leather band that tied up her hair, retrieving a hair-brush from inside her back pack, and exited the room.
 
She walked behind the bar where one particular hanyou was still sulking. She poked the brush to his waist.
 
Unexpectedly, he squirmed. Kagome found it quite amusing.
 
He glared at her, “What do you want?”
 
She held out the brush and the leather band to him.
 
His gaze turned confused before he masked with his usual gruffness, “I don't need it,” he turned his face away.
 
Kagome gave him an amused smile. “Rubbish, I can practically see your tongue lolling out. My hair was not as long as yours, I could live with the heat,” she retorted.
 
He seemed to judge her for a while. She didn't blame him though; it's not like that they have the most harmonic relationship in the world. “Fine, you do it,” he replied in a challenging tone.
 
Kagome blinked once, twice. Not just she thought Inuyasha would need more encouragement… did he just asked her to do his hair? The heat must be really killing him….
 
The miko pulled a chair closer, “Sit, I can't reach your head if you're standing.”
 
He compiled obediently, Kagome had to resist a giggle for his eagerness. Actually, she was a bit nervous about seeing Inuyasha again. She hadn't really met him since their last encounter at The Cryheart Mansion, though Inuyasha didn't know that she was Israfel. Somehow she felt like she was betraying him.
 
Her hand instantly became busy in his hair. She ran the brush from the base of his neck, pulling and arranging. She envy how his silvery mane shone beautifully, and was surprised when she found that they were not as silky as she had imagined, but smooth enough for a male. After all, Inuyasha seemed to be the type who preferred buying a three-in-one shampoo and be done with it; at least they were clean. She left his two front locks, and finally tied the others up with her leather bands. “Done,” she whispered more to her self.
 
He grunted softly in reply, but Kagome knew that for Inuyasha; it was as good as thanks. She studied the high ponytail, “Is it too tight? I did it so it could hold for the rest of the day. Is that okay?” she asked. She had wanted to braid them, but she was short of hair bands.
 
“Its fine,” he replied as he pulled something out of his pocket and gave it to her.
 
It was the pink ribbon. Kagome looked up to him in question.
 
“For your hair, the air-conditioning broke down.”
 
Somehow, her heart felt warmer. She gave him a bright smile, “Thank you.”
 
He quickly turned his back to her, “Feh!”
 
When he could no longer see her face, her smile faded. She felt guilty. Great, just when their relationship was starting to get better, she had to betray him. Her stomach churned.
 
~*~
 
“Here it is, Mr.Takahashi! `The Goat's Rue'” informed the head of The Museum, Mr. Satou, to Inuyasha that evening, stopping at one of the paintings inside The Eden. Their town's museum has five buildings; Eden was one of them which displayed paintings and sculptures of animals.
 
Inuyasha cast a brief glance to the painting's title. He frowned. It was the right painting, but when he looked at it, he personally thought it was as ugly as a child's finger painting.
 
No, the picture was not one of those abstract paintings. It was just a mixture of color between red and white that roughly formed a goat head, regarding the title; otherwise he would think it as a horse head with some kind of horn. Keh.
 
“Commander Inuyasha!”
 
Inuyasha slapped a hand to his head in that `not again' gesture. He decided to give up telling Hojo to drop his temporary title; it seemed that the boy was incapable to be on the first name basis with anyone. Not that he want to get friendly with him. “Yes?” he turned.
 
The boy appeared oblivious to his boss' gruffness as he thrust a ringed bundle of paper, smiling proudly at the same time. “Your repot, sir!”
 
Inuyasha grunted his thanks after snatching the papers off the boy's grip. Not even bothering to read it, he continued, “Did you found anything about the black haired man?”
 
Hojo looked innocently confused, “Um… what man, sir?”
 
The hanyou slapped his head again, “The black wavy haired, almost two meters, and well-mannered man the Cryheart widow had talked about!”
 
Hojo clapped his hand together, “Ah! That man! The one who gave Mrs. Cryheart `The Pride of China'?”
 
Inuyasha rubbed the area between his eyes, “Yes, did you found anything about him?”
 
“Not yet, sir! I was working on that repot and didn't have the time.”
 
The hanyou sighed, “Fine, but I want a report about him on my desk by tomorrow morning!”
 
“Yes, sir!” his subordinate replied cheerfully before turning around to leave.
 
“Just where do you think you're going?”
 
“Um… to do the report, sir?”
 
Inuyasha glared, “Are you mad? Israfel is going to appear again tonight! You're needed to guard this museum!”
 
“But how am I supposed to have the report by tomorrow morning?”
 
The hanyou rolled his amber eyes. `Duh, that's the point on giving you the task!' he thought, but didn't voiced it out loud. He simply ignored his subordinate's whine and turned his attention back to Mr. Satou “Yes, this is the right painting, what do you know about it?”
 
At the mention of Israfel's next target Hojo suddenly forgot about his little time crisis, and turned attentively to Mr. Satou. `Great', Inuyasha thought, `please don't tell me he was one of her fans!'
 
The middle aged man brightened, as every head of a museum would have when asked about the artifacts they were in charge of. “Oh, `The Goat's Rue' was one of the oldest paintings received by this museum! It's pretty odd, actually, it never attracts people before, until three days ago. Now I can see why.”
 
Inuyasha raised his eyebrows, “What? Did this painting get uglier or something?” He was not embarrassed to admit that he never really understood artistic things, most of all paintings, not that he didn't appreciate them, he only failed to catch most of their beauty. It was just odd that there are people who fought for those kind of pictures.
 
Mr. Satou shot him a disapproving look, “Can't you feel it? This painting felt empty before, now it feels like it contained some kind of power!”
 
Inuyasha almost snort, almost, but he didn't think that offending Mr. Satou more than he already had would be a good idea. Besides, he needed the old man's cooperation.
 
He studied the painting again. What was that old man talking about? What power? There was nothing strange about the painting (apart from being awfully ugly). Why did Israfel want it? She should at least know how to esteem artifacts, right? Was the painting that beautiful?
 
Frowning, he reached and touched the canvas.
 
Suddenly he saw it. It's faint and just flared around the picture and disappeared as if it never came. He felt the air around him pulsed. Abruptly, he snatched his hand away and staggered back. A hand clamped over his nose, eye wide. The painting had just emitted youki and a remarkably nasty scent.
 
“What's wrong sir?” Hojo asked.
 
Inuyasha turned to the boy, then to Mr. Satou. Both of them didn't appear like they had seen whatever he had seen. Normal humans could not sense that kind of thing except if it was very powerful. He had to thank his demon heritage for that.
 
His inside jolted as the youki flared again, this time stronger. The two humans facing him gasped.
 
“Oh my god…” Mr. Satou breathed eyes wide in terror, his eyes focus on something behind him. But there was nothing behind him besides the painting, right?
 
Hojo had taken a few steps back with the same terrified expression. His mouth opened and closed repeatedly before he finally found his vocal chords, “Ah… ah… AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!”
 
Inuyasha knew it was a bad idea to look back, he knew, but he turned around anyway.
 
The goat head had somehow gotten out of the painting, eyes flashed red in menace.
 
~*~
 
`Oh sh*t, oh sh*t, oh sh*t, oh sh*t!!!' Kagome cursed mentally as she saw the goat inside the painting materialized and jumped out, leaving the canvas empty. During all this, she was safely perched on one of the large higher windows facing `The Goat's Rue'.
 
She didn't understand why her grandpa insisted to notify the police for her every `performance'! Obviously it only made the job needlessly difficult, not to mention the threat it caused to many innocent lives if the artifacts were offensive. Like this `Goat's Rue'. She could care less even if it was the tradition of every professional thief! But her jii-chan didn't seem to think so.
 
She thanked The God that Inuyasha was a hanyou, that way he still stood a chance against the dark creature. He had grabbed the two other men in the room and jumped away from the painting-became-alive. He dropped them in front of the door, but they were too shocked to actually move. The old man had even passed out.
 
Her mind rushed. What now? She apparently had to go in there and purify the creature! Inuyasha could not destroy it because the creature itself was an illusion magic, his claws would practically run through it without causing any damage. She needed a plan to help them without getting caught.
 
She watched as Inuyasha discovered that his attacks were useless and now trying to distract the creature away from the two other men. Miraculously, the police units outside hadn't known about the entire riot happening inside The Eden yet.
 
She watched as Inuyasha dodged, just barely, another attack from the bloody-red goat. The creature was extremely fast. Her heart thundered in her ears. The more she saw what's happening in the room, the more she couldn't think of anything.
 
Kagome bit her lip, `Don't panic, don't panic, don't panic - oh sh*t!'
 
The goat suddenly stood still in front of Inuyasha's subordinate and the old man. Inuyasha jumped between them, taking his defense position. The goat's eyes flashed red again and the youki around it flared much more intense.
 
Fear overwhelmed Kagome's heart as she realized what the illusionary goat was about to do. Not caring that she didn't have any plan yet, she unlocked the window with lightning speed and practically leaped into the room.
 
Just in time as the creature unleashed an energy ball.
 
Kagome landed right before Inuyasha, putting out both hands, palms turned up in a protective way. She barely had enough time to project a barrier, defending all of them from the attack.
 
There was a loud cracking sound as the magical wall contacted with the attack. Smoke emerged from the impact, and the energy ball kept pushing on her shield.
 
You!” she heard Inuyasha hissed.
 
Kagome risked losing focus to glance back and shouted at him, “Don't you just stand there! Get out of here!”
 
“Are you nuts?! You can't fight that alone!” the hanyou gripped his katana. Kagome didn't even know what he was doing with a katana, she thought he would had a gun on something more modern.
 
“Yes, I can! This is my fight! I don't want anyone to get hurt - akh!” she was pushed backwards by the energy's force. “Get out of here~!” she repeated.
 
“What do you mean it was your fight?! It attacked me! This is my fight!”
 
Kagome almost rolled her eyes, but she couldn't afford to lose concentration. Even in the time of crisis they still fought for dominance! The energy ball pushed again. Damn, she needed to get them out quick!
 
“You don't understand! You can't fight that thing! It's an illusion magic!” desperation filled her heart, and that's when she unintentionally put too much magic in her shield.
 
The barrier and the energy exploded. She screamed as she flew backwards and knocked Inuyasha down the floor with her body.
 
Hojo fainted, but the hanyou and the miko seemed to have forgotten that he was even there.
 
Kagome got up before Inuyasha had the chance to recover fully. Her heart thundered, `Oh my god! He almost caught me!' her mind screamed. She jumped away from him, putting a good five meters between them.
 
The goat seemed to turn its interest on her. Its aura flared again.
 
`Oh no!' She jumped away as another mass of energy shot to her direction. It hit the wall behind her previous position, leaving a nice crater.
 
Inuyasha got on his feet again, he saw Israfel dodge another attack with a back flip. Something poked on his inside and before he knew it, he had already shouted, “Hey goat! Pick on somebody your own size!”
 
The goat turned to him, ignoring Kagome.
 
Then it hit Kagome that the goat could only pay attention to one of them at a time. Good! Now she could purify it! “Keep its attention to you! I have a plan!”
 
“Don't tell me what to do, wench!” he yelled back, but he clawed the goat as the creature turned its head to the girl, getting its attention back to him.
 
Inuyasha was fighting the goat furiously, but it was a loosing battle since he could not hurt the creature, but it could hurt him. He let out a strangled shout as the goat managed to slam its head to his middle, its horn digging deep into his stomach. He hit the wall behind him, making another crater.
 
He jumped away again, as the goat performed another head-butt. Blood leaked out damping his shirt even as he pressed one hand to the wounds.
 
Kagome was frantic, “Inuyasha!”
 
“Just focus on whatever plan you're planning!”
 
Kagome wanted to help him. She really wanted to, but she knew she was no good in short range battle. She shook her head to clear her mind, and drew a deep breath, hoping it will calm her racing heart.
 
From her distance, she turned to face the empty canvas the goat had left. Raising a hand, she gently swung it downwards. Her other hand made a gesture of gripping something in arm length parallel her eyes. An energy bow appeared in her gripping hand. Her free hand made a motion of pinching something from the bow and drew it to her ear. An energy arrow appeared and she was ready to shoot.
 
When the hanyou and the goat moved into her range, she shouted, “Get out of the way, Inuyasha!”
 
The hanyou leaped away and she released her arrow of soul.
 
The arrow went through the goat's head and pinned it to its empty canvas. There was a blast of pink light.
 
Inuyasha narrowed his eyes in the brightness; he was pushed backwards when the air around the painting gave another pulse. He noted that this pulse was not full of nasty youki, but a purifying magic.
 
When the light died down, he saw Israfel had already taken the painting and was jumping towards the opened widow.
 
“Wait!”
 
She swore she didn't know why she stopped right then, just about to leap out of the building from the rim of the high window, back facing him. She swore she didn't know how she knew that he was not going stood up and tried to catch her.
 
Perhaps because he was on his knee, his wound still bleeding heavily, or perhaps because his voice had that desperate edge that made it sounded almost like he was pleading.
 
But she stopped nonetheless.
 
“What… what was that thing?” he asked, his voice was intense with mixed emotions.
 
She turned to him, her body ready for any kind of suspicious movement. If he made one move to catch her, she'll run immediately.
 
He did nothing but drop down and sit on the floor, his amber eyes staring to her. Kagome thanked The God again that they were too far away from each other; she didn't want him to see her closely. Not when he almost caught her today.
 
“That was one of the enchanted artifacts…” she answered simply. Her voice surprised her, it somehow had gotten a mature tone that was calm and give an impression that she would not prolonged her answer.
 
“Enchanted? You mean someone put a magic on them?” Under different circumstances he had might snorted and out rightly said that she had to be joking. But he experienced a head-butt from the goat first hand, so he had no other choice to believe whatever she was telling him. It's not like he had any ideas of what the thing was any way.
 
“A curse, yes,” she answered, not really knowing why she was answering at all. `But,' she reasoned, `At least I owed him an explanation of what had beaten him to bloody plump...,' and she felt kind of guilty for it.
 
“So these artifacts are supposed to attack people?” he asked again.
 
“Some. They are under many different types of magic. Some are offensive, others are changing personalities, or brain-washing… they are dangerous in many kinds of ways.”
 
Inuyasha run a hand through his hair. He knew he should have leaped up and chased her right now. But no, too many questions need to be answered. He would let her go tonight; after all, she had saved his life and the two other men earlier.
 
“That attack you used… those bright weapons, what are those?” he asked again.
 
“It was a purifying arrow, the only thing so far that can break its curse. And an energy bow, one of our essential magic.”
 
“Your wings, too?”
 
“Yes,” not really, her wings were much more advance magic than conjuring an energy bow. `Which I haven't quite mastered yet,' she reprimanded herself.
 
He was silent of a moment like he was trying to engrave the information in his mind.
 
“Why are you stealing things? Are you selling them to the black market or something?” he asked again. He didn't like those two ideas at all, he didn't know why, he just didn't.
 
Surprisingly, she chuckled, “No, those things are in safe hands. I'm not selling them to anyone. I did what I did to that goat just now, I purified them.”
 
“Why didn't you returned them?” he frowned in confusion.
 
She shook her head; he would miss that gesture if he did not have his demon sights. “I will, just not so soon. They were too weak, they might get enchanted again.”
 
Suddenly, his brain clicked, “You stole those things because they were enchanted… so who put the spell?”
 
“You've heard of him, he gave Mrs. Cryheart `The Pride of China',” Kagome couldn't believe she was sharing all this information with him. This was madness!
 
“So he's your enemy? You're fighting this guy? Why didn't you just tell the police?!”
 
Kagome decided that enough was enough. She smiled ruefully though it remained hidden behind her scrap of cloth, “You asked to much questions, commander.”
 
“Answer me!” he growled.
 
“We've been fighting them for ages, this is our duty,” but then, information kept leaking out from her mouth… she just couldn't strain herself from practically throwing hints at him… she just didn't understand why, talk about being professional. Her family would not be happy if they knew about this.
 
“We? Are you in some kind of organization? Who is this guy? Who are them?”
 
“You don't want to get involved in this, commander. But I assure you; I work alone. Just do your job and capture me, though I doubt you would,” she smiled again secretly. “Which reminded me; why aren't you chasing me?” she added.
 
“Do you want me to?” he glared at the girl. She was teasing him! He was kindly letting her go, and she was teasing him! The nerve of that girl!
 
She turned her back to him, “Good bye, commander.” With that she jumped down the window, disappearing from his sight behind the wall.
 
That's when the police units finally busted into the room; they froze in shock at the two unconscious people, their bloody commander, and the two craters on the wall.
 
~*~
 
Inuyasha stared at the ceiling of his bed room. His wounds was bandaged and healing, they'll probably be gone in an hour or so. He looked at his digital alarm clock on his side table.
 
04.17 AM
 
Stupid Israfel and her stupid mystery! He swore she left him hanging just to torture him! She probably knew he would stay up all night thinking of his answered and unanswered questions. Stupid b*tch!
 
Not that he needed much sleep, he was a hanyou after all. Hanyous and youkais didn't need much sleep to regain their strength; they could stay awake for three days straight without as much as a headache.
 
She said that the reason she stole all those things was because they were enchanted, he guessed by evil magic. She said that she had been doing it for ages, no, she said they had been doing it for ages, probably she was in some kind of organization, but she said she work alone.
 
And her power! It was magic, he was sure, but he didn't know what type of magic she used. Her purification arrow was obviously miko powers, but there was no way in hell a miko could conjure an energy arrow, complete with the bows. They were like a mixed type of magic he had never heard of. But miko powers dominated her magic, was she some kind of a shrine maiden?
 
He realized that he was getting no where so he saved that train of thought and switch to the other.
 
Who is this man that cast a spell on things? What's his motive? Or motives? Why is Israfel chasing him? He had suspected that Israfel was not just a common thief; no ordinary thief would have that kind of power, wings and all. He had suspected that she was involved in something big. But he didn't know that it was SO big and was as messy as a rat's nest. He doubt he even know the half of it.
 
He mused again about things, and tried to start doing the puzzles. But there was a large gap of missing pieces, making it impossible to even guess what the puzzle was about. He just needed more information.
 
“Arrrgh!!!” He ruffled his hair in frustration.
 
He glanced again to his digital clock.
 
05.23 AM
 
He sighed. No point on going to sleep now. Absently, he pressed on his wounds to see if they had healed completely. His muscle was still a bit tender, but it was nothing to his abnormal pain tolerance.
 
He got out the bed and went to have a nice warm shower.
 
<<TBC>>
 
~ Today's Artifact ~
[Sweat dropped] I don't really like the `goat' part, but it's the only name I could find that meant `reason'. Same as before, “Goat's Rue” was supposed to be a flower, but you know me, I'm not satisfied if I don't change it into something else. He he! I choose a painting because I couldn't think of anything else, painting was my last resort. And I didn't really plan the whole painting-become-real thing, because I told you I still have difficulties in some details. I decided to `materialized' the goat just as I'm writing it, actually it took me a whole 15 minutes to decided what am I going to do with the ugly painting. I think it's pretty creative, I can't remember if I had read it somewhere else though, so I can safely claimed that I got the idea myself.
 
~Translations~
Haori : Kimono-ish outer robe/coat
Houshi : Buddhist monk
Miko : Shinto priestess
Hentai : pervert
Hanyou : half-demon
Youkai : Demon.
 
~ Ramblings ~
18 freakin' pages! I just knew once I started it would be difficult to stop! Thank God I started this early or I'll probably sleep around two in the morning, again! Last night I was busy reading a Harry Potter fanfiction, hehehe.
Anyway, I hope it's not boring. I really tried to make the story as light as possible, but it seemed like it was not working. I really had to learn how to keep my writings interesting and not boring you in the middle. You do realize I add the Inuyasha-in-his-bed-room scene just to make you curious right? ::dodged rotten fruit that was thrown by one of the readers:: Just kidding, I add that part because I feel like I had to write it. I'm not sure why.
Oh, I put a trailer of this fic in my Author profile! It contains snippet from these and later chapters though! So don't read if you don't like spoilers. I don't mind them. ^_^
~ Next chapter's artifact is… ::drum rolled:: The Oathkeeper! It's a sword, hehehe, and it has a stronger possessing magic! I wonder who would wield the sword…. ^_^ I haven't really decided yet… maybe Hojo?