InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Angel of Mercy ❯ Demons and Dreams ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Several hours later, as he dozed on his bed, Sesshoumaru heard a keening wail. Opening his eyes, he saw Nanashi sitting up, eyes open wide and blank. The sound was coming from her wide open mouth. Her face was a mask of terror as he rapidly crossed the short distance between them. He could feel resistance to his approach, as if the girl had set up a shield. "Nanashi, I am here," he said as his door opened, revealing Subaru. Sesshoumaru felt the pressure leave and he gathered the girl in his arms. Her eyes were still blank and she trembled violently in his arms. Her keening wail was now just whimpering mewls of fear. Unconsciously, Sesshoumaru began rocking the girl and crooning gently to her, trying to calm her fear, erase the terror from her.

"She is not awake," Subaru told him, still in the door way. "She is locked into a dream. You will have to help her out of it." Subaru knew that dreams could hold incredible power to destroy the unwary and hoped Sesshoumaru would be able to help the girl he held so gently in his arms.

Sesshoumaru nodded and placed a hand on Nanashi's temple, willing himself to make the connection to her mind. He was surrounded by pain and fear so strongly that he almost lost himself. Slowly, he began to sort out the impressions of beatings and recriminations. He began to piece together the girl's history for her memories were the source of her torment. He then saw her memory of him, how he seemed to glow with an unearthly light, how she saw him as a gift from the gods. Swiftly, however, the terror took over and he saw himself transformed into a beast in her mind, one that would tear her apart. She saw him in his true form in her dream; she had perceived his true nature, though she didn't realize it. Gently, he showed her compassion and concern, but these she couldn't trust. Trying again, he showed her the obi. This was a source of comfort, and through his connection with her, he could see and feel the silk as it ran through her fingers and fell onto her lap the first time the inn-keeper gave it to her. "This is yours, child. Your mother asked that it be given you. When you are old enough, it will guide you to your family and pray the gods they will accept you." This memory gave her hope and calmed her fears. She settled back into a dreamless sleep and Sesshoumaru withdrew from her mind.

He sat quietly rocking her for a short time to ensure her sleep and gently placed her back on the futon. "The obi was her mother's and she is older than she looks," he whispered to Subaru.

Had he looked up, he would have seen Subaru's shocked expression as comprehension dawned. It was the obi she remembered from so long ago. But the girl isn't….but she's not….this requires more thought, Subaru concluded as she backed out of the room, closing the doors quietly as she left. She would have to go to the inn herself, since it was unlikely that the girl would be calm if Sesshoumaru left and she doubted his control when he came across those who hurt the girl he held so protectively.

Sesshoumaru moved to return to his futon, but Nanashi's hand reached out to keep him where he was. Sighing, he sat on the floor next to her. He again placed his hand on her temple and joined her in sleep, hoping to keep the memories at bay with his presence.

Dawn was approaching outside the windows. Nanashi began to stir restlessly, her mind swirling in anticipation of more pain and being yelled awake. As gently as he could, Sesshoumaru reassured her and inserted a suggestion to sleep herself out, she was safe, no harm would come to her. His image flitted through her mind, and he barely caught her murmur, "tenshi" as she slipped into deeper sleep.