InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Anxiety ❯ Lingering doubt ( Chapter 18 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

++Chapter 17++
++Lingering doubt++
 
Kagome convinced Inuyasha to let her, Kyasha, and Daitan go back to her time, but he ended up following too. Kagome wanted to visit her family and Kyasha had school and a rehearsal to go to as well. Daitan wanted to beat Souta at one of his old video games and Inuyasha had nothing else to do.
 
“Mama, I'm leaving, I'll be back at sixish.” Kyasha called back as she ran out the door.
 
“And where do you think you're going?” She heard a voice say. Kyasha glanced up and saw Inuyasha sitting up in Goshinboku.
 
“I'm heading to school…I haven't been there forever.” She reminded him.
 
“Keh, just hurry it up.” He grumbled.
 
“Okay, bye Papa!” Kyasha ran down the stairs, she couldn't wait to see her friends again.
 
88888888888888888
 
Inuyasha watched as his daughter left for school. He sighed.
 
`What am I going to do?' He asked himself once again.
 
`What do you mean `what are you going to do'?'
 
`About being the heir to the western lands, what happens if I take it…will I have to stay in the past…and what will happen to my new family, Kagome's family is in this time, Daitan wanted to start school, Kyasha's almost done school but all of her friends are here…'
 
`Stop thinking about everyone else for a minute…what do you want to do?'
 
`I want to be with my family, isn't it obvious?'
 
`Then you've answered it…if your family prefers to stay here sometimes, then you obviously can't be the lord to the western lands…now can you? You said it yourself that you wanted to be with your family…right?'
 
`I guess so…' He sighed again. Now he needed to find that wolf and tell him what he wanted to do. But then another thought came to mind. What would happen to the land if he didn't take it?
 
This was going to take a lot out of him.
 
88888888888888888
 
“Kyasha!” Kyasha glanced back to see Kana come running up from behind her.
 
“Hi Kana, what's up?” She asked.
 
“Not much, where were you? You've been gone for a few days now.”
 
“Uhh, just a cold…that's all, nothing to worry about.” She stuttered. “Hurry, we don't wanna be late, now do we?”
 
“Oh, come on, we have an hour to get to school before the bell rings…it only takes about five or ten minutes to walk there, we can take our time.” Kana reassured her. “Is something wrong Kyasha?”
 
“What? No, nothing's wrong, nothing at all…why would you say that?”
 
“Just a thought, you are acting kind of strange…but I might just be reading too much into it.” Kana said.
 
“Probably are, I'm fine, nothing wrong at all.” Kyasha whispered loud enough for Kana to hear.
 
“Well, actually I need to let you know that our play has been moved from next Friday to this Saturday…”
 
“What!? But that's only like…two days away!” Kyasha yelled.
 
“Yeah, it's just that one of the students playing `Kaeda' wouldn't be here, and she had no substitute, she does have a pretty large part in the play…”
 
“Yeah, but I have a huge part…I'm the hanyou for crying out loud, why didn't somebody call me?”
 
“I tried, but your mother said you weren't going to be there for awhile…what did she mean by that?” Kana asked.
 
“Oh…that….umm, Kana, I've got to tell you something, it's very important and you can't tell anyone…got it?”
 
“Yeah, what is it? I knew something was wrong.” Kana stated.
 
“Yeah…well, I'm…I found out that I'm….adopted…” Kyasha frowned.
 
“Oh my god, are you serious? Did Susan kick you out or something?”
 
“Oh no, I moved out…I actually met my real parents…you know Mr. Izayoi from school?” Kyasha ventured.
 
“Yeah, what about him?”
 
“Well, he's actually my…father, if you can believe.” Kyasha was awaiting the scream that she was expecting Kana to make.
 
“Oh my god, the totally cute teacher that was substituting for Mrs. Takahashi? Are you kidding me?” Kana screeched. “Now that I think about it, you do look an awful lot like him, I can't belie—”
 
“You can't tell a living soul about this, remember?” Kyasha interrupted.
 
“I promise, scouts honor, so how did you find out?” Kana asked.
 
“Well, I didn't really figure it out on my own, Susan told me it and then I pieced it all together, that kinda thing…”
 
“Oh, wow, this is big stuff, so I can't tell anybody?”
 
“No, nobody…please promise you won't, I shouldn't have even told you, but you're my best friend, I trust you…” Kyasha dowsed her with praise to get her to feel sorry and obligated to promise not to spill. It worked like a charm.
 
“I promise, cross my heart.”
 
“Good. Thanks Kana.” Kyasha said.
 
“No problem.” Kana whispered to her as they neared the school.
 
88888888888888888
 
Kyasha had finally finished school for the day, but now was at her play rehearsal. Kyasha had been practicing her lines, and Kagome had helped her get into character, Inuyasha was too busy, or so he said. He usually sat up in his tree and watched Kyasha act out her part of the hanyou, or as he was known as, Inuyasha. They were so much fun Daitan even tried to help out.
 
`Okay, next scene…' Kagome stated.
 
`But we haven't even finished the last scene yet…' Kyasha questioned.
 
`Yeah, but it's good to keep everything fresh, ya know?'
 
`No I don't know, but whatever.' Kyasha huffed.
 
`Okay, in this scene you need a sword.' Kyasha pulled out hers. `Okay…and you also need…me to be in this one…'
 
`How do we do that? I mean, your too busy reading out my lines that you can' say your own.'
 
`Don't worry, I've got a plan…Daitan!' Kagome cried. The little hanyou child came running out.
 
`Yeah Mama?' He asked. `You need my help now?'
 
`I sure do…I need you to play my part, I'll read out the lines but you just have to say them again, got it?' She explained.
 
`Okay!' He ran in front of Kyasha, standing about five feet in front of her.
 
`Let's start!' Then Kagome continued to read the lines out.
 
It was a blast to work with Daitan; he was quite the actor. He only had to say `sit' then start walking off, while Kyasha had to smack herself to the ground like the script had said which earned a laugh from Inuyasha and an almost-laugh from Kagome.
 
“Okay, class, you've all heard of the play being moved, I know it's sudden, but I'm sure we can do this, correct?” Everyone nodded. “Okay, we'll have our rehearsal and then we'll go over what we need to do before this Saturday. Okay, everyone get ready for scene one, where the priestess Kikyou is introduced, followed by our hero and main character, the hanyou. Places everyone.”
 
Kyasha stood up and put her script down on her chair, she was really getting the hang of doing this, and she already had most of her lines memorized. She took her spot on stage and waited for Mrs. Boute to tell them when to begin.
 
“And…action!” She shouted. Kyasha was waiting behind the curtains now, waiting for her part to come, her cue was when Hikari said her line about a flower one of the kids gave her, or something like that. Then, the narrator would describe her and tell the audience about her past and the things she had to do around the village being that she was a priestess.
 
The Kyasha's part came where her life would be explained and la-dee-da…
 
`Okay let's go…'
 
88888888888888888
 
`Ugh, I can't believe how many scenes we went through, she seemed to pick all of my fighting scenes, and there are quite a bit, I was running all over the place…I hate acting.' Kyasha grumbled.
 
She was on her way home after the rehearsal, they had gone through almost all the scenes, but it was to be expected, seeing as how the play was only two days away now.
 
“Kyasha, you're home!” She looked up to see a happy Daitan running at her. He jumped into her and they both fell to the ground.
 
“Uhh, nice to see you too Dai'.” Kyasha said as she was getting squished under her little brother.
 
“Kyasha, guess what me and Mama did all day?” He asked.
 
“I give, what did you and Mama do all day?”
 
“We baked a cake. It's really good; you should come and have some.” He said as he grabbed her hand and dragged her inside.
 
“Kyasha, hi, welcome home. How was school and play rehearsal?” Kagome asked as she wiped her hands on a dishcloth.
 
“It was good, practice was brutal. They moved the play to this Saturday thought, are you guys still able to come?” Kyasha asked.
 
“Of course, you're the main character; we wouldn't miss it for the world.” Kagome cheered.
 
“Great…where's Papa?” She asked as she grabbed a plate for a slice of cake.
 
“He had to go through the well for a second, he should--”
 
“Right here!” Inuyasha said as he cut off Kagome.
 
“Papa!” Daitan screeched as he trampled over Kyasha to get to him. Kagome giggled as she helped her daughter up off the ground.
 
Kyasha smiled. This was her new family, an overactive little brother, a sweet mother who baked foods and asked about school, and a father who protected them while still being energetic and keeping the kids out of Mama's hair. Yup, things couldn't get much better then this.
 
“So, when are we visiting Uncle Miroku and Auntie Sango?” Daitan cried as he was lifted into the air by Inuyasha.
 
“Soon, we could stop there tonight before bed if you want?” Inuyasha asked, he glanced at Kagome for an answer.
 
“Sure, I have nothing to do…” Kagome giggled.
 
“Wahoo!” Daitan bellowed as he ran out the door.
 
“I don't think you should give him anymore cake, Mama.” Kyasha said as she took a bite out of her slice. “But it is really good, what kind is it?”
 
“Strawberry, chocolate…my favorite!” Kagome giggled.
 
“Mmmm!” Kyasha said as she walked out to follow her brother.
 
“So, Inuyasha how was everybody?” Kagome asked as she put away some clean plates from the sink.
 
“Oh, there fine…Kagome, I need to tell you something, about why I went there…” Kagome glanced at him, the longer he took in telling her, the more she began to worry, what did he do back there? `Why does he have a look of fear in his eyes?' Kagome asked herself.
 
“It's about the western lands…I went to talk to Kouga and tell him my decision, I told him I didn't want to be the lord of the lands…he agreed, though not in a good way…stupid wolf.”
 
“Is there anything else? Is something bothering you?” Kagome asked.
 
“He said that the lands are in need of a leader, but if I didn't take it…then the next heir would…” Inuyasha sighed.
 
“Oh, well at least it's not going to fall apart, who is the next heir then? Sesshoumaru?” Kagome asked again as she took a seat at the table.
 
“No way in hell I'd let that bustard rule the lands…the heir is…my first child…Kyasha.” Kagome gasped.
 
“Oh…have you told her yet?” Kagome asked in a whisper. `Kyasha's too young to rule all of the western lands, isn't she?' She asked to herself.
 
“Kouga said she would need to find a mate soon after taking the role, but she's the rightful heir to the throne, after me…I haven't told her yet. I feel she's already stressed out with finding out she's adopted, moving, that play coming up, and now finding out she can go through the well…it all piles up…I just don't want to pressure her into this…” Inuyasha said.
 
“I understand, but we have to tell her sooner or later, right?” Kagome said.
 
“Yeah…shit, why does this have to be so hard?” Inuyasha growls as he watches Kyasha jump up into the tree with Daitan on her back, out the window.
 
“I know, I know….” Kagome whispered.
 
88888888888888888
 
“Come on, let's go!” Daitan screeched. Kagome glimpsed at Inuyasha and he nodded, following there plan. Inuyasha was to stay back with Kyasha for a few minutes and tell her the news and ask what she might do. He just hoped she wouldn't leave them, she had every right to though. Inuyasha sighed as he watched Kagome and Daitan jump into the well.
 
“Kyasha, I...need to tell you something.” He whispered, just loud enough for her to hear him.
 
“Okay, what is it?” She asked.
 
“Remember how I found out that I was the heir to the western lands through my father….your grandfather?” He didn't know how to tell her.
 
“Yeah…have you decided?”
 
“Yeah…I chose not to take it…”
 
“Well, that's great, then you won't have to leave us, or stay in the past, this is great.” Kyasha smiled. Inuyasha gulped, she was just making this harder for him, but he had to let her know.
 
“Actually, now that I didn't take it….it now leaves it without protection and rule…the lands now go to the next heir in my father's name….” he sighed.
 
“Oh, well who is it?” Kyasha asked, feeling a bit frightened to hear it.
 
“My heir is…you, Kyasha.” Inuyasha glimpsed up at Kyasha. She was stunned at that, he could've sworn he saw fear in her eyes, but that was covered up as she darted into the well without a word. “Kyasha…” He whispered.
 
88888888888888888
 
`Why…?' Kyasha asked herself as she ran through her father's forest with all her might. She wanted to get away, away from everything. `Why is it always me?'
 
“Why?” She screamed as a single tear fell down her face. Kyasha stopped running and let out her tears, she couldn't hold them back anymore.
 
`You're being a coward…you know that right?'
 
`I am not a coward…didn't you here Papa, I'm the heir to the western lands for kami's sake…if that doesn't push me to the edge, then what will?' Kyasha asked herself again.
 
`You're running from your problems…why can't you decide not to take it…have you ever thought of that…?'
 
`I have to take it…who else will? If I'm the heir, then Daitan must be next, what about him, he's way too young for this position. But if I take it, I'll be staying here all the time, being so busy…it'll be hard, but I have to do it….don't I?' Kyasha thought to herself as she began to find a spot to stay for the night, it was already dark and she had no clue where she was, she'd just have to return tomorrow. She just hoped that her parents weren't too worried about her.
 
88888888888888888
 
“Inuyasha, where is she?” Kagome screeched again. They had been out looking for her, but to no avail. Inuyasha couldn't pick up on her scent; it had just rained so there was no hope of finding her tonight.
 
“Kagome, we have to stop, let's just hope she's made a fire and ate, we'll find her tomorrow, and she couldn't have gotten that far…” Inuyasha reassured his mate, she had been worried about her ever since he had made it to the village without her. He was sick to his stomach; it was his fault that she was out in the middle of the forest, alone.
 
`Kyasha, be safe…' He hoped as he let Kagome crawl on his back and they made there way back to the village.
 
88888888888888888
 
Kyasha had only eaten a small squirrel she had caught, she was quite proud of herself, but it wasn't enough to fill her up. She now sat on the cold, hard ground staring into the small fire she had been able to build, thinking about what she should decide.
 
She was starting to nod off when a sound was made behind a bush near her. She slowly stood and walked over to the bush.
 
“Come out, I know you're there!” Kyasha demanded, she didn't expect for the thing to come out, but a tall, young man walked out.
 
“You don't need to do anything; I'm not here to beat you up…” The boy calmly stated with his hands up in a jokingly state of defense.
 
“Keh, whatever, what do you want anyway?” Kyasha grumbled.
 
“You're that dog's daughter, are you not?” He asked.
 
“Yeah, who wants to know?”
 
“Me, my name is Kooketsu…” The boy said.
 
“Noble? You've got to be kidding me?” Kyasha giggled.
 
“Shove it; I don't want to hear it from a wimpy inu-hanyou like yourself.” Kooketsu growled.
 
“You think you could take me?” She asked.
 
“I could, and I could wipe the floor with you…” Kooketsu declared.
 
“What makes you think you could beat me?”
 
“You haven't met my father then, have you?” He asked. She gave him a confused look.
 
“Who, your fighting skills have nothing to do with your father…only if he taught you, of course.” Kyasha asked.
 
“Why, my father is the great wolf-tribe leader, Kouga.” He said as he raised his chin in a dignified matter.
 
“So, I've met him…he wasn't that great, kind of full of himself if you ask me.” Kyasha said.
 
“Why you…” Kooketsu glared as he pounced on Kyasha.
 
“Get off of me you baka.” Kyasha growled as she was pushed to the ground and now lay under Kooketsu.
 
“You ticked me off, now you're going to pay!” He said as he lifted his clawed hand up and brought it down, but Kyasha rolled over and brought Kooketsu under her.
 
“Ha, now your stuck, leave me alone or I'll make you taste dirt.” Kyasha warned.
 
“Just get off of me!”
 
“Say it…” Kyasha chided.
 
“Fine…I won't attack, just get off.” He said. Kyasha slowly got off, ready for any attack, but was surprised when nothing came.
 
“Why are you here anyway?” Kyasha asked.
 
“I was about to ask you the same question, this is going to be my land someday…I need to get to know it before I take over for my Father, I smelled you and came over, why are you doing here? A little far from your Mommy and Daddy.” Kooketsu explained with a grin.
 
“I can be away from them, I'm not a baby, I…I found out recently that I am the heir to the western lands is all…” Kyasha said. `Why am I telling him this, I barely even know him…?'
 
“Wow, really? When are you taking it, the western lands are huge. I can't believe they'd leave it to a girl.” He stated.
 
“I wasn't asking you what you thought about it, I was just telling you why I'm here.”
 
“Yeah but, that still doesn't really answer it, why are you here?” Kooketsu asked.
 
“I…I ran…okay? I ran away.” Kyasha said, not looking forward to the name calling he was going to start.
 
“Why?” Was all he said. Kyasha glanced at him.
 
“I...I'm not really sure why….” Kyasha admitted.
 
“Well, I better get going, gotta lot of land to cover, don't get into any trouble…” He grinned as he left her sitting there.
 
`What is it about him that makes me confess things I don't even say to my own parents?'
 
`Isn't it obvious?' She asked herself.
 
`Not exactly, why don't you enlighten me…?'
 
Her conscious went silent.
 
“Keh. I don't need help, I can make this decision on my own, and once I do…then I'll be able to think about anything else…I've got to do this.” Kyasha reassured herself as she hopped into a tree nearby to sleep.
 
88888888888888888
 
“Inuyasha, you can't…please, let me go with you at least?” Kagome asked again as she tried to block the door of the hut.
 
“No, I have to find her, it's my fault that she's out there in the first place, now move Kagome.” Inuyasha growled. He had to do this; he had to, for Kyasha. He walked outside and was ready to leave.
 
“Inuyasha…” Kagome whispered.
 
“Yeah?”
 
“Be safe…and find her” He nodded and took off.
 
“I will find you Kyasha…I will, how you could be so stupid and leave us…that's something I would do…” He grumbled to himself as he hopped into the trees, taking in her scent, hoping it would lead him to her, but it also depended on how much rain came last night, he just hoped she didn't get soaked.
 
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
I've finally edited it and I only ended up adding to this already long chapter…ugh! Hope you guys like it!
 
Another thing I have to tell you is that I'm moving soon, beginning of September actually. So everything will be packed up until we done. Also, we have to shut off out internet connection, but when the computer is back up I'll edit the chapters then post them when I have internet again. Don't worry, I'll try and finish before I move…in another three weeks so I'm not gone for awhile!
 
Disclaimer: I do not own any of the Inuyasha characters, Anime or Manga. Rumiko Takahashi can do whatever she wants with them…