InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ As Fate Would Have It ❯ Chapter 22

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 22
 
Inuyasha sat in the cushy rocker, holding his new daughter. The tiny girl was sucking eagerly on a bottle of freshly pumped milk, straight from the source itself. Kagome had felt so bad about her role in the purification of their children that she wanted to make up for it by sharing feeding times with her mate.
 
Kagome rested on the bed, a tiny black head attached to one breast as she nursed the other twin. She ran her thumb lightly over the tiny baby's cheek in wonder.
 
“I can't believe… they're here,” she murmured, smiling.
 
Inuyasha snorted softly so as not to disturb his feasting mistress. “Believe it. Life will never be the same, wench.”
 
Kagome sighed as she watched the sun go down slowly outside her window. “I know. But I don't think I'd trade it for anything, regardless.”
 
The hanyou leaned back into the chair, resting his head so his gaze was on the ceiling. “Me, either.”
 
The sun had dipped below the horizon, signaling the end of yet another day. This day, however, had seen the birth of two very special, very unique, children. Kagome smiled at the encroaching twilight.
 
Time to switch sides… I don't want to nurse only one side…she thought vaguely. She glanced down at her son and let out a cry of surprise.
 
Inuyasha immediately turned around to look at Kagome. “What? What's wrong?”
 
“He… he…” she couldn't form the words.
 
He shot out of the chair without taking his gaze off their son. As he got closer his jaw dropped in shock.
 
Two tiny black dog ears stuck out from the downy black hair on his head. Tiny claws, needle-sharp, tipped his fingers. Their son had transformed into a hanyou.
 
Stupefied, the new parents turned their attention as one to the little girl in Inuyasha's arms. Completely oblivious to the shock of her parents, the baby continued to nurse happily.
 
Her appearance, however, had changed drastically. Her hair was no longer black, but the silver-white of her father, with tiny white dog ears to match. The same tiny claws tipped her fingers as well.
 
“Holy Kami- they're hanyou after all!” Inuyasha exclaimed.
 
Kagome started to cry again, this time in joy and relief. She had been so distraught over his revelation of Kikyou's meeting that she hadn't been able to truly enjoy her children. It seemed that Kikyou's prediction was wrong.
 
Relaxing against her pillow again, Kagome wiped the last of her tears away. “Inuyasha?”
 
“What?”
 
“We need to name them, you know.”
 
He sighed. “Yeah, I know.”
 
“Any ideas?”
 
“Keh! Of course not!”
 
She smiled at his adamant denial. “I do.”
 
“So? Spit it out already!”
 
She hesitated, unsure of his reaction. “I… well, I wanted to honor… your mother… and name our daughter Izayoi.”
 
His golden gaze snapped to hers. “You… would do that… for me? For my mother?”
 
“Of course. Is… that okay with you?”
 
His eyes warmed over. “I'm sure... she'd be honored. She would've loved you, you know.”
 
Kagome smiled. “I feel as though she already does.”
 
Reverting back to his gruff self, he nodded at his dozing son. “What about him? Any ideas for him?”
 
“Don't you want to name him, since I named our daughter?”
 
He was silent for a while as he burped Izayoi. “How about Kuroinu?”
 
Black dog, huh? That's nice.”
 
His ears twitched. “You don't like it.”
 
“No! It's a very nice name.”
 
“Keh! Now who's the liar?”
 
“I'm not lying!”
 
He snorted. “Well, it was either that or Inusouta.”
 
She blinked. “After my brother?”
 
He flushed slightly as he rocked Izayoi to sleep. “Well… yeah, I mean, I've never had a brother that was as nice to me as he's been.”
 
Kagome gazed at her now-sleeping son. “Handsome dog… that might work.
 
“So which is it gonna be? My pup can't go nameless forever.”
 
She chuckled softly. She was really worn out. “I like both names. You pick.”
 
“Oi, I came up with `em- the least you can do is chose one.”
 
When she didn't answer, he turned in the rocker and glanced at her. She was sound asleep; their son snuggled safely in her arms as she lay on her side.
 
He allowed himself to uncharacteristically smile warmly at the sweet scene before him. The hanyou stood up, careful not to wake his daughter, and carried her to her hospital bassinet nearby. Stroking her smooth cheek feather-softly with the knuckle of his index finger, he gazed in awe at the second of his miracles. My daughter… my little girl…
 
He returned to Kagome's bedside and gently picked up his son. The tiny hanyou scrunched up his face as if he would start to cry, but settled down as soon as Inuyasha held him close. Pup already knows my scent… that's my boy…
 
Once both babies were settled in their respective bassinets, Inuyasha once again walked back to his mate's side. Silently he gazed down at her, amazed at everything she had done for him, for their children. And yet she looked the same as ever, lovely and relaxed in sleep. He knew she wasn't as weak as he always complained she was- her efforts today proved that completely.
 
Since there was no room in the bed for him to join her comfortably, he opted to settle himself on the floor behind the door, clutching Tetsusaiga in his arms out of habit. As he crouched down and made himself comfortable, his last thoughts before falling asleep were happy ones.
 
I'm a father…
 
-------------------------------------
 
“Hello! Where are my grandchildren?” a bubbly, cheerful voice asked as Kagome's mom poked her head into the room.
 
Kagome chuckled. “They're just finishing breakfast, Mom. Come on in.”
 
Mrs. Higurashi stepped into the room, a curious Minako clinging in her arms, customary bonnet covering her wolf ears. “Someone wanted to meet her new brother and sister, too.”
 
Inuyasha looked up from the bottle he was feeding his son. “Good morning, Mrs. Higurashi. Was Minako any trouble?”
 
“Of course not! Not my angel.” She set Minako down on the floor, where she promptly ran over to her father to investigate the bundle in his arms. “Now, since this one has a pink hat, I'm guessing this is my granddaughter.”
 
Kagome smiled joyfully as she looked down at her nursing daughter. “Mom, this is Izayoi. We named her in honor of Inuyasha's mother.”
 
Mrs. Higurashi beamed at her daughter in pride. “I'm so proud of you- I'm sure Inuyasha's mother would be as well.”
 
She glanced over at Inuyasha, who was showing Minako her new brother. “And what is that young man's name?”
 
The new mother hesitated. “We… haven't decided yet.”
 
Mrs. Higurashi looked startled. “You haven't? No ideas even?”
 
“Oi, I told you to choose, wench!”
 
Kagome glared at her mate. “And I told you that since I named Izayoi, you should name our son.”
 
“Keh! I did my part!”
 
“As in, you helped make them, therefore your part is done?”
 
“Damn right.”
 
“Try again, baka.”
 
Mrs. Higurashi chuckled at the byplay between the two. “Still, he needs a name.”
 
Inuyasha nodded firmly. “That's what I told her. No pup of mine is going nameless.”
 
Kagome rolled her eyes. “Mom, maybe you can help us. Inuyasha came up with two names and I can't choose between them.”
 
“Of course, dear. But remember, he's your son. My opinion really shouldn't count- it should be yours and Inuyasha's decision.”
 
“He came up with Kuroinu and Inusouta. I like them both.”
 
Black dog and handsome dog, huh? They both fit him perfectly… although, he doesn't seem to look much like Inuyasha…”
 
A vein throbbed in Inuyasha's forehead. “That's just `cause it's daytime.”
 
Mrs. Higurashi looked confused. “What do you mean?”
 
“The pups look human during the day. At night, they change. My son's hair color doesn't change, but he gets black dog ears, while Izayoi ends up shifting the entire way, complete with silver-white hair and white ears.”
 
“Really…” Mrs. Higurashi regarded her granddaughter with renewed interest as Kagome burped her. Then she gave her daughter a careful hug. “That's wonderful! Although, even without the dog ears, they're still the cutest babies around.”
 
“Damn straight.” Inuyasha puffed up his chest with pride.
 
Kagome's mom turned her gaze back to her grandson. “Inusouta wouldn't happen to have been in reference to Kagome's brother, would it?”
 
“It was Inuyasha's idea, since Souta looks up to him as an older brother anyway.” Kagome grinned at her mother.
 
Tears touched her mom's eyes. “I'm sure he would be honored if you chose to name your son after him like that. But it needs to be your decision- I like both names.”
 
Kagome sighed as Izayoi emitted a tiny burp. “Then we're right back where we started.” She glanced mischievously at her mom. “I don't suppose you'd want to hold her…”
 
Mrs. Higurashi practically scooped the baby out of Kagome's arms. “It's about time!” she chuckled merrily as she settled down to coo at her new granddaughter. Izayoi blinked up at her grandmother, her gold eyes shining. “I see she has your eyes, Inuyasha.”
 
“And his appetite,” Kagome added wryly.
 
Inuyasha snorted. “I'll have you know that both my pups have my eyes. Their big mouths come from their mother.”
 
“Inuyasha! You're lucky you're holding my son or you'd be in some serious trouble.”
 
“You shouldn't osuwari your mate anyway, you ungrateful wench. You need to be taught the proper respect for the dominant male.”
 
Kagome rolled her eyes again. “As soon as I find a dominant male, I'll be sure to respect him to the fullest extent he deserves.”
 
Minako blinked up at her mother. “Mama has be-be? Papa has be-be? Minako need be-be!”
 
Inuyasha scooped up the little girl and settled her on his lap, arranging her so that the baby boy was resting half in her arms, half supported by his father. “Here, pup. You can hold your new brother with me, okay?”
 
“Okay, Papa. Be-be brudder has name?” she asked innocently as she observed the golden-eyed baby.
 
This time Inuyasha rolled his eyes. “This will never end…”
 
“Until we choose,” Kagome finished, shaking her head in defeat.