InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ As I Am ❯ The Difference ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha©. Rumiko Takahashi does.
 
 
As I Am
 
 
Chapter 3
 
 
“I'd have to say….”
 
Kagome dipped her hand down into the bowl of popcorn that Inuyasha was holding, her fingers squirming because of all of the butter she had had Inuyasha put in. It was a bit much, Kagome had to agree, but she had been too tongue-tied and embarrassed to fix her mistake and there wasn't much she could have done to calm herself anyways, especially not after Inuyasha had finally decided to take off of his coat and drape it over her shoulders when she had muttered something about it being cold out.
 
He had told her that he didn't mind her borrowing it because it was a stupid coat and he had been waiting for a reason to get rid of the thing. Kagome had feverishly tried to give it back to him, but he had started to look angry for some reason Kagome couldn't understand and had stopped talking to her for a while, mumbling to himself from under his breath.
 
Needless to say, Kagome had shut her own mouth and accepted the coat.
 
She didn't want him to be angry with her, but at the same time she wanted to know why he was becoming so frustrated over something that seemed so trivial. Was it really her? Or was it something else? School? Friends? Family?
 
What made him so depressed, and was it for the same reason everybody else was?
 
“Green,” she said at last, before then popping a kernel of popcorn into her mouth.
 
Inuyasha cocked his head sideways and smirked, his smoldering amber-irised eyes peering at her from beneath a plain silver cap.
 
“Green? That's just disgusting.” He pointed to his red Nike t-shirt and then at his red tennis shoes. “Red is the best color ever… And that is not just my opinion. It's a fact.”
 
Kagome huffed loudly and crossed her arms against her chest.
 
“I still say green is better,” she huffed, trying to look upset.
 
“If green is better, than the world is made of candy and everyone goes around giving out flowers and loving one another,” he snorted.
 
What's wrong with loving and getting along with one another?
 
Kagome's legs became stiff and she stopped walking, unintentionally cutting off a mother and her two children. They quickly scurried around her.
 
“What?” Inuyasha backpedaled towards Kagome. He looked confused… and nervous. “Did I say something wrong?… What is it?”
 
“Well, I just…” Kagome frowned. “What if the world was like that? What would be so wrong if it was, if everyone cared for one another and--”
 
“I don't mean to rain on your parade, but you do know that the world could never be like that, right? I mean, that's just stupid.”
 
Her frown deepened. “I said if…”
 
“Yeah, you did,” Inuyasha agreed. “But you also sound a bit… hopeful.”
 
“Hopeful?” Kagome echoed softly.
 
Of course she sounded hopeful. The world wasn't meant to be cruel and unfriendly; there were so many reasons for it to be the exact opposite, and it confused Kagome that no one seemed to realize that.
 
“Yes, hopeful. You looked like you actually believed the world could be that way.” Inuyasha rolled his eyes and laughed. “You can't really be that stupid?”
 
“I can if it makes the world a better place…”
 
 
Xx
 
 
Inuyasha had never been more confused in his life. It was a strange feeling, raw and questionable, as if he had been made of play dough, and he utterly despised it. His body wasn't made to feel that way, to wonder about the world around him and whether or not there was more to it than what he was seeing, to ponder over the happiness that he had lacked since his mother's death.
 
He wasn't supposed to believe in Kagome and her stupid childish fantasies. She was an airhead that couldn't open her eyes and make out what was right infront of her nose. That was all she was, some little girl who never grew up and had most likely been coddled throughout her entire childhood.
 
You could have been the same way…
 
Kagome was blind and ignorant. It would take a lot of pain to get her to scream out in the agony she refused to believe in, and Inuyasha doubted that that would ever happen to such a sweet… no, such a stupid girl like her. She would never feel pain for what it truly was.
 
Bad things happen to good people… Just like your mother…
 
Kagome would always be blind and ignorant. Nothing would change that.
 
You had better hope so…
 
 

Xx
 
 
Naraku licked his lips, his tongue slowly tracing the contour of it. He could already taste his victory, and he had never tasted anything as sweet and as rewarding. Not even his afternoon coffee could have stood a chance against the flavor of what was coming.
 
This was his chance. Inuyasha Tiasho--that down-spirited, beautiful boy--was his, just as his mother had been. Another target. Another opportunity.
 
Nothing was going to stand in his way this time. Everything had been planned out just perfectly, the dug, the transportation, a place to stash the body. Everything had been taken care of and everything was going to come out just as planned.
 
“You look so much like your mother,” Naraku cooed to himself, fits of chilly winter air blowing from between his lips and out to linger infront of his face. “I wonder if you scream like her, too.”
 
The boy continued walking down the street, hands shoved deep inside of his coat pockets. He seemed to be in deep thought, just as he had been back at the cemetery.
 
“Oh, I do hope so…”
 
 
Xx
 
 
Izayoi screamed as the blade pierced through her chest and near to her frantically spluttering heart. It kept going in deeper and deeper and deeper until it came out the other side, blood spilling out from the wound and collecting around her bare feet.
 
The pain was unbearable.
 
She screamed out again.
 
The blood was unbearable.
 
She moaned, the blade now falling to the carpet.
 
What she was leaving behind was even more unbearable.
 
She smiled.
 
“You'll never find him,” she choked out at her attacker, the man who had so easily broken into her home and pierced his hatred into her. “And even if you do, I'll never let you hurt my Inuyasha…”
 
 
Xx
 
 
It was not worry that Sesshomaru felt pitting inside of his stomach. No, it was nearly impossible for him to feel such a feeling towards his little brother and he knew better than to think otherwise. Worry was for someone you cared for; Sesshomaru did not care for Inuyasha, the child he had been forced to take into his home and give food and education to.
 
Sesshomaru was well aware of what he was actually feeling though. It was not worry, but confusion… and dread. He could feel it nipping at his subconscious and ensnarling around his brain, every second that had passed since Inuyasha had left for his “date” causing the bewilderment and alarm to worsen to an extent that made it nearly intolerable.
 
For the first time in his life, Sesshomaru was afraid.
 
But it was not that he was afraid of why Inuyasha had yet to return. He was afraid of who was to blame for why Inuyasha had yet to return. That was what he was truly afraid of: who.
 
Sesshomaru was forced to sigh aloud, catching the attention of the maid Ayame. She looked up at him from the kitchen floor she was currently scrubbing and frowned, her nose wrinkling.
 
“Is there something wrong?” she asked, emerald-green eyes wide and childish. “Did I miss a spot… or is it something else?”
 
“To your left there's a grease stain” he muttered in reply.
 
The maid was extremely nosy and utterly terrible at her job. She hardly cleaned anything to the fullest of her attention, instead choosing to moon over Inuyasha's one friend or listening to private conversations and offering her useless advice. She even dressed horribly, short-shorts and a long baggy t-shirt that fell down to her knees and displayed questionable stains.
 
It was only a matter of time, Sesshomaru was certain, until he fired her and found a new maid that would be more likely to get the job done. The only reason she had yet to be thrown out on her ass was because of her father, an important number in the equation that was Sesshomaru's life. He was a businessman, just as Sesshomaru and Sesshomaru's father was, and very influential.
 
Secretly, Sesshomaru hoped to replace the man as “head poncho”. It had been his dream ever since he was a child, to become even more powerful than his father and prove his independence and mental and physical strength. He wanted to be the boss, not just another employee.
 
Sesshomaru had been born to make others cower and he was never afraid…
 
Except when it concerned his own reputation, that is.
 
“And behind you,” Sesshomaru pointed out to the maid, gesturing to a pinpoint of mud. “And then, after you have finished with that, there is still the bathroom…”
 
Ayame nodded reluctantly. It was almost as if she was finally starting to debate whether or not working for her own money had been a good idea.
 
“Umm… yeah, okay….Thanks…”
 
Sesshomaru sneered. “Your welcome.”