InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bankotsu's Greatest Challenge ❯ Midoriko's Warning ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha. Inuyasha and its characters are copyrighted to the amazing Rumiko Takahashi!

Bankotsu's Greatest Challenge

Chapter 2: Midoriko's Warning

Jakotsu squinted. "Big brother, what's that bluish mist up ahead?"

Bankotsu stared at the mist. 'Whatever it is, it can't be much of a threat seeing as how it is transparent.' As Ginkotsu moved closer to it, Bankotsu could just make out the figure of a woman.

"Stop, Ginkotsu."

The metal monster halted abruptly, causing Renkotsu to fall over onto Suikotsu. The doctor shoved him back up. "Get off me."

"Gesh?" Ginkotsu blinked with his one eye. 'Too bad I can't see as much as the others.'

Bankotsu retrieved his beloved Banryu and hopped down from the platform. He turned to his comrades giving them a 'stay here and don't interfere look'.

Jakotsu watched his leader and best friend in admiration as he walked down the path toward that mist. 'Renkotsu is only 'second in command' when Bankotsu is unable to go with us.'

When Bankotsu gave that look they knew to stay put…or suffer dire consequences.

Suikotsu just sat on Ginkotsu with his arms folded behind his head. At first glance, it appeared as though he was sleeping, but he knew better than to rest when Bankotsu would be bringing back news of some sort.

Renkotsu snorted. 'Why the hell in the name of Buddha does Bankotsu get to be the leader? He has the skills to fight demons …but he is childish and in some serious need of maturing. ' He sighed heavily. 'Kyokotsu and Mukotsu are dead. Where was Bankotsu when they got slaughtered? Some leader he is.'

He sent a hot, fevered stare to his leader's retreating back. 'He is using us for his own personal gain.' He ground his teeth and clenched his fists.

Bankotsu finally approached the blue mist, with his shoulders hunched and rubbing his eyes. 'Why am I moving so slowly?' He blinked his eyes and saw that mist was no mist; it was the apparition of a woman with her eyes closed. He took in her warrior armor and the sword on her hip.

"You must be one of Naraku's illusions."He swiped his mighty halberd at the figure, but the sword just went right through and the figure remained where it was.

Bankotsu's eyes narrowed. "Who are you?"

The ghost's eyes popped open. They were indigo blue glowing marbles that enthralled even Bankotsu.

He titled his head to one side and pulled Banryu into a defensive position. "State your business or leave."

"I am the priestess Midoriko." Her soft tone almost made him want to listen similar to a siren's.

"How can that be? She died way before I did."

"My spirit still lives on in the sacred jewel. Since the jewel was shattered by the priestess Kagome I'm finding it hard to contain the evil spirits of demons. Demons are growing more powerful by the minute and without the fully intact Sacred Jewel this world is in grave peril."

He blinked and then stared at her. "So why appear to me?"

"Your powers are greater than all the warriors of this world combined. But your powers alone will not be enough to save Japan."

He scoffed. "If you doubt my abilities then why seek me out?"

"She shook her head. "On the contrary, your powers are formidable. I've sought you out because only you can do what will be required."

He frowned. "Which is?"

Midoriko repeated. "Your powers are formidable and will aide you well, but they are not enough."

His eyes blazed with annoyance. "Get to the point already."

Midoriko stared into his eyes as if staring into his soul. "You must find the priestess Kagome and wed her."

His eyes bulged. "Are you out of your - ?"

She silenced him with a wave of her hand. "As I was saying… With your combined powers, you will be able to spare the world in which you live."

He glared daggers at her and tapped his foot. 'How dare she pull such a dirty trick on me? I'm going to…'

"Now continue on your quest, but take heed. With each day that passes, you put everyone and everything in greater danger." She waved her hands and was gone.

"That dirty rotten wench! How dare she silence me, the most feared man in all of Japan and then just vanish?" His nostrils flared and his grip on Banryu tightened turning his knuckles white. 'You will pay for that, mark my words!'

He sighed and kicked a rock sending it flying through the air to crash and leave a dent in a tree. 'Why should I have to marry Kagome in order to save Feudal Japan? Why can't we just form an alliance and save it that way?' He scowled at the vacant spot. 'Damn that Midoriko, she has the answers but of course she's fled like a coward.'

With anger rolling off him in waves Bankotsu stomped over to his brothers. Nobody bothered with asking questions, because they knew better than to bother their leader when he was like this.

He drug a hand down his face and sighed heavily. "I have some terrible news for you guys."

Renkotsu was the first to speak up. "What is it about?"

Bankotsu snorted. "I'll tell you all later. For now, let's get back to the castle and unload this shit." He hopped onto Ginkotsu and ordered, "Move out!"

The earth rumbled as Ginkotsu took off toward their hideout.

Renkotsu removed his bandana from his bald head and frowned. 'What could possibly seem so dreadful to Bankotsu? He usually never lets anything upset him.'

A medium sized castle n the middle of nowhere appeared on the horizon. Renkotsu sighed. 'At least the hide out is in a remote location. Even Inuyasha and his friends would have trouble finding it, because nobody ever comes this far in the neck of the woods.'

Ginkotsu parked just outside the door of the castle.

Automatically the men then went to work unloading the stuff.

When they stumbled upon this place the only things found inside were the tables in the dining area, the beds and some benches in the dying courtyard.

Bankotsu blinked at the large pile of blankets and pillows and nodded. 'Looks like Renkotsu did more than just stand around while we pilfered these items a little while ago. Then again Renkotsu does like to sleep comfortably.'

Jakotsu of course was unloading his kimonos. He took them into the room he had picked, which was right across the hall from Bankotsu's.

Bankotsu shook his head. 'Jakotsu could take three baths a day and the supply wouldn't even begin to run low.'

Suikotsu made his way to the room left of Jakotsu's. He threw the pillow and blanket Renkotsu had given him onto his large bed. 'All the beds in this castle are large.' He finished making his bed and walked over to the window and yanked down the curtains. 'Ugh I hate yellow, it's too girly.' He shuddered and tossed them into a heap by his door.

"Renkotsu, you and I will put away the utensils."

Renkotsu grunted acknowledgment and followed his leader into the kitchen.

Bankotsu stuffed the utensils into some drawers and shook his head. 'I'll break the news when everyone has finished.'

By the time the Shichinintai reformed in the main hall of the castle, it was nearing sunset.

Bankotsu helped himself to one of the bottles of Saki, motioning for his men to sit down.

Despite being tired they immediately sat down giving him their full attention.

Suikotsu was the first to speak this time, a rare occurrence. "So, what's this dreadful news you received?"

Bankotsu quickly took a sip of Saki and then tossed it to Jakotsu. The others did not drink Saki.

Bankotsu sat up straight and stared at each of his men before speaking. "You remember that blue mist we saw?"

Renkotsu nodded. "I thought it was something Naraku had sent."

Bankotsu sighed. So did I, but it wasn't anything from Naraku." His fingers drummed on the table. "It was the spirit of a woman... A priestess."

"Kikyo?" Ginkotsu questioned.

"Technically, Kikyo is alive as long as she walks the earth." Suikotsu corrected, slightly insulted.

Bankotsu shook his head. "Lie, she was the legendary priestess, Midoriko."

Their eyes widened and a collective of gasps echoed throughout the room.

Renkotsu's brows furrowed. "But why would she come to you?"

Bankotsu took the bottle and tossed back another large swig of Saki. He slammed the bottle on the table. "She said Japan is in grave danger and that I was the only one who could save it." His forefinger traced the bottle neck.

"Then do it." Jakotsu piped.

Bankotsu scowled. "It's not that simple. She told me that I have to find that Kagome girl and marry her, because my powers alone would not be enough." His fingers squeezed the bottle shattering it in his hand as he spoke about having to marry Kagome.

Jakotsu choked on his saliva. "You mean you have to marry Inuyasha's wench?"

Renkotsu raised his eyebrows. "Surely you will not go through with this?"

Bankotsu fell silent for a moment. 'Shit! The last thing I want to do is marry Inuyasha's weak wench, but I don't want Japan to perish either.' He ground the glass shards between his fingers to a fine dust. "I don't want to marry Inuyasha's wench, but I won't stand by and watched out world destroyed by any hands but ours either."

Suikotsu nodded. "You're going to find her?"

Bankotsu grunted. "I don't exactly have a choice now do I?"

"What about her friends?" Renkotsu asked. "You know as well as the rest of us that Inuyasha will try to slay us at first glance."

Bankotsu chuckled opening another Saki bottle. "I think I can convince him."

Jakotsu huffed and sat back with his arms crossed. "So, when do we set out to find the bitch?" He pouted. 'Not that I'm in any hurry for us to hunt a woman, let alone that one.'

Bankotsu lifted the bottle to his lips. "We leave first thing tomorrow." He drank down half the bottle and tossed the rest to Jakotsu. "For now, let's get cleaned up and into bed."

"Renkotsu, Jakotsu, you two have clean up duty tonight. Ginkotsu, Suikotsu, you two get plenty of fire wood for the night. I'm going to bathe, don't even think about interrupting my bath."

He stomped off down the hall barely restraining from using Banryu to trash the place. The bathroom was at the far end of the east hall. Bankotsu stepped inside, locking the door behind him.

He quickly stripped of his clothes and climbed into the large basin, sighing as the hot water relaxed his tight shoulder and back muscles. Taking a rag he scrubbed off the dirt, blood, and grime from his body and then washed his face and hair. He lay back letting the water relax him a while and glared at the ceiling. 'What a day.'

His hand dragged down his face and he sighed heavily. 'Maybe we can just form an alliance and go from there?' He leaned back allowing his eyes to close for a moment.

A loud explosion filled his ears and fire danced in front of his closed eye lids. In his mind's eyes the water of his bath started bubbling and turned into thick, black ooze. The smell of singed flesh and hair assaulted his nostrils. His body jerked and his breathing was restricted as pure agony flowed through him, paralyzing him. A strong wind blew into the closed room chilling him to his soul. A soft melodic voice whispered into his ears. "Take head warrior… You must marry the priestess Kagome. Every day you delay places your world in more danger."

Bankotsu's eyes flew open and his breathing was labored. He could swear he felt his heart slamming inside his chest. 'What the fuck was that?' He shook his head climbed out of the water. He dressed and picked up Banryu, proceeding to the main hall, where the others were waiting. He walked past them not saying a word and went straight to his room.

"I'm next!" Jakotsu grinned and dashed into the bathroom.

Renkotsu rolled his eyes.

"I'm going on to bed." Suikotsu announced, walking off to his room.

"Me too." Renkotsu said.

"Gesh." Ginkotsu rolled off. He always slept outside.

Jakotsu came out of the bathroom some time later, not bothering to say goodnight because he knew everyone was already in bed.

Bankotsu had the biggest, most luxurious room in the castle.

He drew the curtains in his room and locked the door. 'That settles it, tomorrow we will find Kagome and I will convince her we must marry.' He sighed heavily. 'Which is not going to be an easy task… especially with that damned half breed guarding her.'

He sat on his bed and hung his head. 'I'm so not looking forward to this.' He flopped back onto his bed and covered his eyes with his arm falling into a fitful sleep.

XOXOXO:

A/N: Okay there is chapter two. As you can see some of the plot has already changed a little, but not much and I added some new twists to it. Let me know what you think of the changes okay? XD