InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Battle of the Youkai ❯ Surprise, Surprise ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Battle of the Youkai Chapter 2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kouga growled, unwrapping his arms from Kagome, raising his hands in a fighting position. "I said she's too good for you, you stupid mutt! You ignore her and cheat on her. You two-timing jerk! How could you do this to such a heavenly creature?!"

Kagome blushed harder at his outburst. Knowing she had to do something before a fight erupted, she stepped in between the two demons.

"Inuyasha…Kouga…please. Don't fight. I don't understand what's going on, but this has to stop. Please do not fight. Shippo is still asleep, so don't wake him."

Obeying her request, Kouga immediately stopped, though he continued to glare at Inuyasha.

Inuyasha, keeping his hand on the hilt of Tetsusaiga, tried to make a comeback to Kouga's earlier comments, to get on Kagome's good side. "You bastard! Kagome's not your woman! Besides, how can you compare her to Kikyo if you never met her?" (A/N bad move Inu. Idiot! How do you think she'll take this?!)

Kagome froze, her face paling considerably. 'What?! He… he is defending her?! He… I can't believe it.' She stepped farther away from him and clasped onto Kouga. She nuzzled her head into his arm as she felt tears come to her eyes.

Kouga, inwardly smiling, grabbed Kagome around the waist. "Well, dog-turd. Look what you've done to Kagome. Do you think she likes being called wench and bitch? What were you thinking, comparing my love to that dead miko? I don't need to see that clay-pot to know Kagome is the only one I'll ever want." (A/N sorry for all you Inu/Kag fans. I'm usually one, but Kouga has to get this.)

"Awww," a barely audible whisper could be heard from the forgotten onlookers. Sango propped her chin up using her hands. She turned to the young male next to her. "Now, Houshi-sama, why couldn't you be more like that." Blushing after realizing what she just said, she turned back to the fight, praying he hadn't heard. The young man she addressed smirked and promised himself to ask her about it later, while raising his arm to gently touch her back.

Biting his lip, Inuyasha restrained himself from responding, knowing he'd only dig himself a deeper grave.

Seeing no one saying anything, Kagome inhaled a deep breath, wiping away previous tears she shed. 'Now or never,' she thought. "Well, Inuyasha," she said, turning to him, "Do you ever think about what the effect your words have on me? I mean, every time I talk to you, you call me a bitch, a wench, or, even worse, just your Shikon Jewel detector? Do you have any idea of how I've felt this whole time? Why do you always compare me to Kikyo?! I know I'm not as good as her! Why rub it in?" Tears slithering down her checks, she broke down sobbing into Kouga's open arms.

Inuyasha smelled her tears and became nervous, suddenly realizing exactly what he has said. 'Shit,' he cursed. 'What should I do?' "Kagome! Don't cry. I hate to see you cry. Look, I'm sorry, it's just… I never… Kagome! Just don't cry!" After he started yelling, Kagome only cried harder, knowing he never denied what she accused him of.

Kouga embraced Kagome, quieting her down. Hiccuping, yet finally not sobbing, she turned to look at Kouga's face. As smiled down at her, she felt a nervous fluttering in her stomach. 'Kouga…. '

Kouga looked up again and faced Inuyasha as Kagome smiled. "You really didn't realize, did you? After all those years, you still-" he broke off chuckling. "She loved you, you jerk."

At this statement, there were many gasps. One from the shocked dog demon, 'Did she really care for me that much?', two from the wide-eyed onlookers (who knew it all along, just that it was a surprise to hear it out loud), and one from the young woman enveloped in Kouga's warmth. 'Kouga, I gotta hand it to you,' the demon exterminator thought, 'you aren't as dumb as you appear.'