InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Be Careful What You Do ❯ Chapter Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Three

A/N: Well, here I am again. My schedule is killing me and it is cutting into my writing time. I am considering putting this fic on hold until I finish 'Reunion' but I hate to do that. Oh well, I'll figure it out eventually. Anyway, I don't own Inuyasha. But I do own my strange thoughts. What do you think would have happened if Kagome had said 'Roll over!' or 'Beg!' instead of 'Sit!'? Can you picture Inuyasha doing that?

"He knew about the well! And he knew about you, too!"

Inuyasha's jaw dropped. He closed it and grew thoughtful. "You said that the man was taking Kagome to see someone called the 'Elder', right?"

Mrs. Higurashi nodded, quickly. "Yes! Does that mean anything to you, Inuyasha?"

Inuyasha scowled. "Yeah. It might." He walked over to one of the unconcious ninja and rolled him over. During the earlier fighting, he had seen a symbol that looked familiar on the ninja's chest, but he had been too busy at the time to really notice it. Now, he took a closer look. His finger traced the design of the glyph that was all too familiar.

As his frown deepened, Mrs. Higurashi watched him with concern. "Does it mean anything to you?"

Inuyasha staightened. "Yeah. It's the same glyph that one of the ninja clans from my time wears." He looked at her and indicated Shippou, who was still in her arms. "His suit has one on it."

Shippou looked at the glyph on his chest in shock. "But, Inuyasha! That means...."

Inuyasha nodded. "Yeah. These ninja's are a part of the same clan that adopted Kagome. That's probably how they knew about the well."

"Okay, Inuyasha! What is going on here?" demanded Mrs. Higurashi.

"I'll tell you later." He turned to head to the well house.

"No!" Mrs. Higurashi grabbed Inuyasha's shoulder and spun him to face her. "You will tell me now!" Inuyasha gulped at the anger he saw there. Now he knew where Kagome got it. "These men invaded my home, took my daughter, told me that she was married," she paused and cast a significant look at the very nervous hanyou, "and left a squad behind to keep me under lock and key while they attacked a friend of the family. Then I find out that my daughter has been adopted by a ninja clan in feudal Japan. I want some explainations!"

"Actually, you summed it up pretty good." answered Inuyasha. The look that she gave him was enough to make him lay his ears back. "Hey! What more do you want?" he said, on the defensive. "I don't have time for a full explaination. After I get Kagome back, we will tell you everything. Okay?"

"Do you think you know where she is?"

"I've got an idea. The only problem is that it is two days hard travel from here."

Mrs. Higurashi shook her head. "No. That can't be right. The man who took Kagome was taking her to see the elder today."

Inuyasha swore. "Dammit! I was sure that they would take her to their stronghold. If the clan is still around today, then their ancestrial home should be too."

"You're right, it should be." Kagome's mom thought about it. "Wait a minute, Inuyasha. When you say two days hard travel, you mean on foot, don't you."

"Of course."

"That explains the difference then. Has Kagome told you about travel in our time?"

"Not much." Inuyasha admitted. "I know that she uses that bike thingy instead of a horse."

Mrs. Higurashi smiled, slightly. "We have faster means of transportation than that. We can cover two days of hard travel in a few hours in this time using an automobile."

Inuyasha's and Shippou's jaws dropped. Then Inuyasha shut his mouth and said, "Yeah! Right! This I gotta see!"

8888888888888888888888888888888

"Okay! Okay! I believe you! Now just slow this thing down!" Inuyasha had a wild eyed look. "Oh, calm down, Inuyasha! I'm not even going the speed limit! This is perfectly safe." Kagome's mother pushed on the accelerator and picked up speed. "Maybe you should roll the window down. The fresh air would do you some good." She watched him fumble with the window for a moment and realized he didn't have a clue as to how to put the window down. "I'm sorry, Inuyasha. I forgot that you don't know how to roll it down. I'll get it for you." She touched a control to lower the window. Inuyasha immediately stuck his head out and let the air rush over his face. Mrs. Higurashi suddenly giggled at the image that came to her mind of a dog sticking its head out of a car window with its tongue hanging out.

Inuyasha sat back in his seat and looked over at Kagome's mother. "What's so funny?" he asked, a little beligerantly. He had the feeling that he was the source of her amusement.

"Oh, nothing. I just had an errant thought." She smiled at him. "I get those, sometimes." She sobered. "Inuyasha, are you sure that you can find this place? 500 years have past and there has been a lot of building around here. It may not look the same to you."

Inuyasha shook his head. "I'll know. Some landmarks never change. Just head toward that mountain." He pointed at one mountain in particular.

"Have you given any thought as to what we are going to do when we get there?"

"You are going to stay in this au-to-mo-bile." Inuyasha stumbled over the unfamiliar word. "I'll get Kagome."

"But..."

"No buts. The only reason I didn't tell you to stay at the shrine is because I had no idea how to run one of these crazy things." He indicated the car. "And I want to get to Kagome as quick as possible." He took on a pleading tone. "Besides, Kagome would never forgive me if I let you walk into a dangerous situation."

Mrs. Higurashi sighed. "If you insist, I suppose I must. Besides, I wouldn't want to get your WIFE mad at you."

Inuyasha winced. He really didn't want to talk about this without Kagome's help. "If it helps any, she did it to save my life."

"Why?"

"Huh?" Inuyasha started. Surely she wasn't asking why Kagome had saved his life.

"Why did your life need saving and why did she have to marry you to do it?"

"Oh." Inuyasha was relieved. For a moment, he thought that she would have rather him been dead than married to her daughter. "It's a long story."

"We have a long drive." She looked over at Inuyasha. "Tell me." she commanded.

Inuyasha groaned and began to tell her everything, beginning with the "Sit!" command that had started the whole ordeal.

88888888888888888888888888

"I would love to give that Toshiro person a piece of my mind!" Mrs. Higurashi fumed.

Inuyasha snorted. "He could use it."

"To make my daughter get married in order to save your life. That's reprehensible. He should have healed you for nothing!"

"Not too many people would help a hanyou, Higurashi-sama. Kagome is the exception to the rule."

"That doesn't excuse anything! You have as much right to help as anyone!"

Inuyasha was silent for a moment. "I see were she get's it." he stated, quietly.

"Get's what?"

"Her compassion. And her belief that everyone is equal and deserves the same treatment."

Mrs. Higurashi blushed. "I just tried to raise her right."

"You did a good job." He suddenly got very intent. "We are getting close. Stop this thing and let me out. I'll go the rest of the way on foot."

"But..."

"No buts, remember." Inuyasha grinned at her as she pulled off the side of the road. "I'll be back with Kagome." he shouted as he leapt from the car.

"I know you will, my son." she whispered to his retreating back. "Just be careful."

A/N: I have reached a decision. I will continue to write both stories, alternating chapters. I got myself into this mess and it is up to me to get myself out. There is no reason for me to make you guys suffer for however long it would take me to finish 'Reunion'.