InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Be Careful What You Do ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter Four

A/N: It’s been a long time. I hadn’t really realized how long until I started getting reviews asking me if I had abandoned this story. All I can do is apologize and hope that I can make it up to you with this chapter. Enjoy.

Kagome followed her ‘escort’ through the hallways of the estate. Anger and apprehension warred within her, along with a healthy dose of fear. Her ’escort’ had not spoken during the ride to the clan stronghold and had only spoken a cursory “Follow me.” when they had reached their destination. Several times she had thought of trying to escape but had been presented with no opportunity. Finally, she resigned herself to this meeting with the Elder. Hopefully, he would be reasonable and call his men at her house to call them off before they attacked Inuyasha. While she had great confidence in her mates ability to defend himself, even the best could be caught off guard.

Kagome’s escort opened a set of double doors at the end of the corridor and stepped aside, bowing slightly to her as he gestured for her to enter. “The elder is within. Show him proper respect and answer all his questions.” This said he closed the doors behind her.

“Enter and be seated, Miss Higurashi.” The voice came from behind a large wooden desk. “I must apologize for our meeting in this fashion but I wished to see you and I had to be sure that you would come.” A middle aged man rose from the seat behind the desk and extended his hand in a gesture towards one of the chairs across from the desk. “Please, my dear, be seated.”

Kagome approached the desk and chair that had been offered to her. “You know that you could have just asked me to visit you.” She sat in the chair.

The man resumed his seat and cocked an eyebrow at her. “I am the clan elder. When I wish to see a kinsman, I have merely to say the word. It is not appropriate to ask as if you had the same rank as I.”

Kagome’s mouth dropped open in shock. “That mode of thinking belongs back in the feudal days.” she exclaimed in indignation.

The elder chuckled. “You should know, Miss Higurashi.” He steepled his fingers in front of his face. “Now, on to more serious matters. Contact has been lost with the men that I ordered left behind at your home. Is it possible that your husband has come through the well and incapacitated them?”

Kagome smiled, slightly. “Not only possible, but probable.” Her face took on a serious demeanor. “Sir, I really must insist that you return me to my home before Inuyasha tracks me here. He will be much easier to deal with if I am released.”

The elder smiled in condescension. “My dear, my men are more than capable to handle a 500 year old relic of the past. We have weapons at our disposal that he will never have dreamed of.”

Kagome’s fear for Inuyasha flashed into anger. “Don’t you dare hurt him! If you do, I will never cooperate with you.” She sat back in the chair and crossed her arms, glaring at him. Suddenly her smile returned. “I wouldn’t be too sure of those modern weapons. I’m sure that the men you left at my house were equipped with those weapons and you see how good a job that did.”

The elders eyes turned to flint. “You are quite right , Miss Higurashi. However, my men are better equipped at this stronghold than the ones left at your home.” He stood and leaned over his desk. “In this clan, my word is law. You are a member of this clan by your own oaths. So, you will answer my questions and if I am satisfied, I will return you to your home before your demon has a chance to track you down. In that way we can avoid any unpleasantness. Are we understood?”

“Perfectly,” replied Kagome. “But understand this, if my mate is harmed I will do everything in my power to make sure that you regret it, regardless of my oaths to Toshiro.” She closed her eyes and concentrated for a moment. Her aura flared into the visible as she opened her eyes. “You may not be a demon that I can purify, but if I am sufficiently angered I am sure that I can cause some form of damage.” She let her aura fade. “I’m not a violent person and I have no desire to use my powers like that, but for Inuyasha’s safety, I won’t hesitate.”

The elders eyes had widened slightly at the display of power. When Kagome let her aura drop, he sat back down. “Impressive.” he said, dryly. “It is obvious why my ancestor wanted you to be a part of the clan.” He regarded her for a moment before continuing. “Very well, Miss Higurashi. Let us proceed with this so that you can be returned home. I would prefer to be on your good side.”

“You should have thought of that before you kidnapped me.”

The elder spread his hands. “What’s done is done. Let us get through this and see if we can build a better relationship after we are done.”

Kagome shook her head and sighed. “You might be able to get my forgiveness but I’m afraid that you have already damaged whatever chance you had of getting Inuyasha’s beyond repair.”

“Then we will deal with you without him.”

Kagome snorted. “Good luck.” She took a deep breath and sighed. “Ask your questions so that I can get out of here. You really don’t want a mad inu-youkai on your hands.”

“Very well,” agreed the elder. “Let’s begin with how you managed to get 500 years in the past in the first place.”

Kagome grimaced. He would want to go to the beginning. “It all started on my fifteenth birthday when I was helping my brother look for our cat…..”

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888 888888888888888888888888888888888888888

Inuyasha squatted on the highest branch that would support his weight in the tallest tree that he could find near the clan compound. Regardless of what his friends thought of his impulsive behavior, he had been known to think before attacking. True, it wasn’t very often, but he still did sometimes. This was one of those times. But it wasn’t easy. His instincts were screaming at him to find and protect his mate. His brain was overriding those instincts for a change and was telling him to proceed with caution. Ninjas were just too damn sneaky after all.

So, he sat in this tree, observing his enemy and trying to figure the best way to get Kagome out.

The first problem was to figure out where she was. The compound had changed through the centuries. Some few of the original buildings were still there, but most were gone, replaced by more modern ones. Even the wall had been strengthened and fortified. The tallest building was in the center of the compound. He remembered something that Kagome had said one time about important men using the tops of tall buildings for their offices. This building wasn’t very tall, only about four stories, but he wondered if the leader of the ninjas would follow the customs of others who thought they were important.

Suddenly, all thought of where Kagome was left his mind as he felt a surge of spiritual energy that had Kagome’s aural signature laced all through it. He dropped straight to the ground at a full run. Kagome was in danger!

“KAGOME!!” ‘Hold on! I’m coming!’

888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888 8888888888888888888888888888888888

Kagome felt like she had been being questioned for hours. Her temper was getting frayed and the line of questioning had begun to get a little too personal. When the elder had questioned her about why she had allowed herself to fall in love with a demon, she snapped.

“That’s none of your damn business!” she exclaimed, standing and pacing in irritation. “I love him and I will not sit here and let you talk about him as if he were nothing more than an animal!”

“But, my dear, he is a youkai,” the elder stated. “And you are a miko. The attraction does not make sense to me. You should have purified him.”

Kagome’s temper flared even more, causing her powers to flare into life. “He is a good man. I have met a few very good youkai and it is wrong of you to judge them like they were evil simply because they are not human!” She was going to continue her tirade when she felt a familiar aura moving toward her at high speed. She turned toward the picture window that made up one wall of the office just in time to see a very familiar red and silver blur bound over the wall and come straight for her.

The window exploded in with the force of Inuyasha’s entrance, followed by the cry of “Kagome!”. He grabbed her in a fierce hug, then held her at arms length. “Damn it, wench! I can’t leave you alone for a second. You are never leaving my sight again!”

A voice cleared it’s throat behind them. ahem “I would assume that you are Inuyasha.”

Inuyasha pushed Kagome behind him as he spun to face the voice. “You would assume right, asshole.” His eyes hardened. “We’re leaving. Don’t try to stop us.”

The elders eyes glittered dangerously. “And if I do?”

Inuyasha looked into the elders eyes and then stepped to the hole he had made in the window. Slowly, he drew and transformed Tessaiga. Twirling the sword above his head, he sighted the wall of the compound opposite the window. “Kaze no kizu!” he shouted as he brought his father’s fang down and released its attack. The wave of force leapt from the blade and blew a gaping hole in the outer wall. Inuyasha turned to face the suddenly white faced elder. He pointed Tessaiga at him. “I’ll bring every building in this place down around your ears.” He turned his back and slammed Tessaiga back into its sheath.

“Let’s get out of here, Kagome. Your mother’s waiting.”

“You brought my mother into this?” Kagome shouted.

Inuyasha’s ears flattened to his head as he scooped his mate up. “Have you ever tried to tell her not to do something? Now I know where you get it from.” Whatever Kagome replied was lost to the wind as Inuyasha leapt out the window and vanished in a blur.

The elder was surveying the damage done to his office when his second came running in. “Sir?! Are you alright?”

The elder waved off his second. “A minor set back. Is the scroll prepared?”

“Hai, elder.”

“Then prepare my car. I need to catch up to them before they decide to go back in time again.”

“Hai, elder. As you wish.” The second turned and left the room.

The elder looked out the hole in his window in the direction that the hanyou and miko had went. “Soon,” he spoke to himself, “our power will be absolute.” He allowed himself a smile at the thought and then turned his back to the window to head to his waiting car.

A/N: My apologies to everyone for the length of time that it has been since I last updated this story. Please forgive any errors in flow as I am trying to recapture the feelings that I had when I first started this one. I’ll have another chapter up in a couple of weeks, so hang tight.