InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Be Careful What You Say ❯ Chapter five: Staying behind ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N : I don't own Inuyasha, if I did, all episodes would be translated to English!

Chapter five

Kagome had turned to go back out the door, when Inuyasha said "I love you." She gasped and spun back around. "Wh-what did you say?" she stammered in a whisper.

"Feh, wench! Are you deaf or something!?" said Inuyasha. "I said 'I love you'. Now that you've heard it twice, do you believe it? Or are you surprised that I can love?"Inuyasha grumped.

Her mouth open in shock, Kagome finally composed herself and answered softly, "No, I'm not surprised that you can love. I knew you loved your mother, and I knew you loved Kikyo. I just didn't think that you would love me." To herself she thought that he still loved Kikyo but she didn't say it.

She didn't have to. Inuyasha read it on her face when she said Kikyo's name. "Yes, I loved my mother and I loved Kikyo, but I would have thought that you knew I loved you from the carving. What makes you think I wouldn't love you?" Inuyasha asked, wanting to draw this into the open so that they could resolve it once and for all.

Unfortunately, Kagome wasn't going for it. She didn't want to get into this unless she found the antidote to the poison. It hurt to much to think that Inuyasha was going to tell her everything she dreamed of hearing and then dying because of her. "Inuyasha, I have to go! I've got to get that antidote!" she began to cry again and ran from the hut.

"Kagome, come back! Kagome!" Inuyasha called. But he got no answer from her. Instead, Kaede and Shippou came in after a few minutes. "Kaede-baba, where is Kagome?" the hanyou demanded.

"The child has left with the monk and the exterminator to find the antidote to the poison in thy wound." explained Kaede calmly.

"Wha.." Inuyasha tried to bellow, but a sharp pain in his chest brought him up short. Gritting his teeth against the pain, he managed to ask, "What does she think she is doing?"

"Saving thy life. She feels most responsible for thy condition and I fear she will go to any lengths to mend it. She is brave beyond her years, but she is still young and does things without thinking of the consequences on occasion. She may promise payment for the antidote that will cost her more than she is ready to bear." worried Kaede.

"Where did she go?" Inuyasha demanded.

"I do not know. Sango was the only one who knew the location of the clan." explained Kaede.

"Don't worry, Inuyasha!" Shippou chimed in. Iniyasha had forgotten the kitsune. He had managed to get next to him and was laying beside him on the floor. "Kagome will make it better. You know she will." The little one was actually cheerful. He thought that his 'mother' could do anything, and he thought that Inuyasha was to stubborn to die. But until Kagome came back, Inuyasha was going to be to weak to get away from him. This was alright with Shippou. If Inuyasha could love Kagome, maybe he could like him enough to become his 'father'.

Inuyasha wasn't as dumb as some people thought he was. He was willing to bet that Kagome had ordered Shippou to keep an eye on him, so that he wouldn't try and follow. Well, he would play at being too tired to do anything for a while, then would see what developed. "I'm hungry, old woman. How about some food? If I'm going to be flat of my back, I might as well get waited on!" he grumbled.

"Very well. I shall prepare some broth. Ye would do well to sleep while I am gone. I will wake thee when I return." Kaede turned to leave, but not before she cast a glance at Shippou, who noded slightly.

"Just as I thought" said Inuyasha to himself. "Well, I can outsmart the twerp."

Yawning widely, Inuyasha turned his head to Shippou. "I think I will take that nap Kaede ordered. But I'm thirsty. Shippou, could you get me some water?"

Shippou couldn't believe his ears. Inuyasha was asking him something nicely. So happy that he didn't think it was strange, he grabbed a drinking container and said "I'll be right back, Inuyasha!" as he rushed out to get the water.

Inuyasha felt a moment of guilt for tricking the little kitsune, which surprised him. "I'll have to think about that later." he thought, "Now I've got to track Kagome before the trail gets cold." Pushing himself erect with Tessuiaga, he stopped and breathed hard for a moment. Then gritting his teeth he left the hut, looking for Kagome's scent trail.