InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Beauty and the Demon ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Hey. I watched Beauty and the Beast today so I thought I'd start a fanfic on it. I know, it's not an original idea, but...give me a chance, coach! I swear I can do good! Also check out my other new fanfic that I started that for some reason won't appear when you look me up, but where you have to go to my profile to find called 'Changing Your Mind'.


Prologue


Three loud bangs reverberated through the bustling hallways of a sinfully gorgeous castle. A prince looked up from the papers on his desk. He had heard the knocking over the pounding rain and rumbling thunder from all the way up on the seventh floor. 'Damned intruder must have a fuckin' strong fist.' he though as he slid from his seat and walked regally through the doorway. The snapping and crackling of torches from either side of the wide hallway followed him, the licking flames sending his shadow dancing in a silent pirouette. His soft-soled boots thudded lightly on the cold stone floor as he picked his way boldly through the halls and down the staircases, his subjects pausing in their menial tasks and bowing respectfully as he passed.

Inu Yasha was a spoiled prick. Everyone knew it, but they respected him nonetheless. He had given them jobs and paid them well enough. He may have been irritable and antisocial, but he was fair in his dealings.

He strode to the large, double-doors and nodded to the two burly servants whose lot in life was to open said doors. They each simultaneously grasped the handles and grunted as they slid them open inch-by-inch. Inu Yasha raised a brow and scoffed mentally. 'Those two idiots must have been practicing that little routine.'

"Goshinki! Jinenji! Work faster," he snapped, settling his hands on his slender hips lest they resort to violent usage...like...throttling the two for being so slow. They both groaned and dug in their heels, the muscles in their arms and legs bunching sickly, making the prince nearly gag from the sight of it. Finally the slats of wood were far enough apart that Inu Yasha could see the visitor, no, the intruder on his property's form. She was a rather large woman, old and grayed with a patch over one eye, several unbecoming wrinkles and a hoarse, choppy voice.

"Please, Master. I beg of ye to allow me to rest my weary bones in this sanctuary for the night."

The prince nearly recoiled in horror. She was hideous...he refused to give this cretin stay, but decided to taunt her with false hopes.

"And what, pray tell, do you plan on giving to me in return for such hospitality?" He sneered and crossed his arms over his chest, staring down at her with burning golden eyes. She meekly reached into a ragged cloak that she had huddled around her stocky form and produced a single, perfect rose bloom. The beauty, however, was lost on Inu Yasha as he threw back his head and roared with laughter.

"You expect me to receive a stupid rose as payment for a bed? Are you mad, you old hag? I would never let someone as ugly as you taint this castle for a mere flower!" The old woman frowned and lifted a cracked hand to her chest, fingers purpled from the cold.

"I, Kaede, may look disturbing, but real beauty is on the inside, naive prince. I implore ye again, may I rest my weary bones upon even a servant's pallet?" Inu Yasha leaned down and stared at her harshly with cruel golden eyes, ignoring the plump raindrops that spattered his black, leather boots.

"I told you already, I shall not taint my home with your ugliness. Go find shelter somewhere else." He turned to walk away but paused as she reached up an aged hand to his shoulder. He flinched from it and whirled around, fully intending on ordering for the guards to seize such a bold woman when his voice stuck in his throat and he was left staring at the old woman. Kaede shook her head sadly, and then looked up at him with wide brown eyes.

"Ye would not even let High Priestess Kikyo spend the night in your midst?"

"High Priestess Kikyo? What does she have to do with this, hag?" It was then that he knew, even before the old woman's bones started cracking with sickly snaps, reforming to make her taller. The skin smoothed out and tautened over high cheekbones, hair floating around her form, once a silvery gray, now a sinister black. Her ragged clothing shimmered and shifted, turning into a plain white haori and blood-red hakamas; the attire of a miko. Inu Yasha paled. Before him stood the high-priestess Kikyo, known for testing people's worth through clever disguises. She had caught him. He dropped to his knees, wincing from the granite scraping against his skin after tearing away the silken fabric of his own trousers.

"Please forgive me, Priestess! If I had known, I would have certainly let you stay. My rooms are all full, Priestess, but I shall kick someone out if you wish!" He was lying, of course. He had several hundred rooms that were gathering dust. She just shook her head sadly and sighed, producing the rose once more.

"Prince Inu Yasha. For your cruelty and lack of kindness, I bestow upon you a curse. You shall live as the beast I see in you. And should a maiden fall in love with you, then the spell will be broken. But, on your twentieth year, the rose shall wilt, and your time for repentance will have passed and you shall not change back." Inu Yasha gasped and reached for her robes to beg for mercy, but fell back in horror when he saw his hands covered in a thick, white fur, the tips of his powerful fingers decorated with strong black claws. He heard the fabric of his fine clothes tearing to make room for his thickened torso, his wolfen legs and his new tail, all covered with a thick, milky pelt. He lifted his trembling paws to his once handsome face to find more fur and an elongated muzzle, complete with protruding canines and curving horns sprouting from his forehead.

He dropped to all fours, feeling his felinic ears fold backwards as his talons scratched against the stone. Oh Kami...this couldn't be happening to him. It was all a dream. For he first time in years, Inu Yasha prayed...

And his prayers went unanswered.

Aeryn