InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Beauty and the Demon ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
W00! 'Nother chapter! n.n Go me! I know, this story sucks *sigh* Oh well, screw you guys if you don't like it, *glomp* if you do n.n R&R, people....please? *whimpers pitifully*


Chapter 1

"Kagome!" A faded, slightly muffled voice bellowed from the bottom of the small stairway. The woman in question grumbled deeply and tugged her coverlet over her head before she sighed and tossed it back, blinking stupidly at the sun that streamed through the window.

"Ungh...why do you have to come so early, you horrid, horrid sun," she grumbled sourly, slowly rising from her pallet and stretching her muscles, wincing as a few bones snapped back into place with sharp little cracks. With quiet, lethargic movements, she slid from her nightclothes and slipped into the cool tub of bathing water for a quick sluice. When she was finished, she dried herself off vigorously and shuffled into a fine midnight blue kimono with silver designs and a matching silver obi.

"Kagome! Are you up yet?" Once again, the same booming voice reached her ears and she turned viciously, lobbing her mother's old silver-backed brush down the stairwell, oddly satisfied when there came a loud 'thunk' and a rather distraught squeak. Good thing she was finished putting her hair up...

After breakfast, Kagome became a very cheerful person. She apologized guiltily to her abused grandfather countless times. He, of course, sighed and toddled off to continue working on his purification scrolls, not that they ever worked, or anything. Kagome, on the other hand, grabbed her basket and a borrowed scroll and after patting her Clydesdale Buyo on the nose with a sweet smile, she headed to the small town.

She picked her way through the town, smiling and greeting all of the townsfolk with polite 'konnichiha' s and smiles, ignoring the odd stares and disapproving glances. She knew she was strange and she hated the fact that these people made it so obvious to anyone who wasn't deaf, blind and stupid that they thought so as well. She gritted her teeth and forced a bight smile, inwardly wishing for something more, for someone to like her as she was.

It was then that she found herself standing before the scroll-shop, her grin turning genuine. She -liked- the man who worked here. He was terribly kind and understanding of her love of literature. She pushed open the reed doormat and stepped inside, holding out the scroll to him with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

"You've finished already?" he murmured disbelievingly, watching as she moved away to browse the selection of scrolls he boasted about.

"Oh, I couldn't put it down! It was wonderful. I wish my life were like that sometimes. Do you have anything new?" He laughed at her energy and enthusiasm and shook his head, murmuring in his quiet, kind voice,

"No, Kagome. Not since yesterday." Her cheerfulness and wide smile were infectious. He found he was always looking forward to this young woman's daily visits. She pouted, sighing lightly before returning to her search, plucking up a scroll and holding it out to him.

"I'd like this one then." He examined the scroll and looked up in surprise.

"But, M'dear, you've read this one several times already." She smiled sheepishly and glanced down to semi-hide her pretty blush. She was extremely pretty, with wide brown eyes, thick, wavy black hair, a pale complexion and two sets of lashes that rested on her cheeks like a dark carpet. When she was normal, she was beautiful, but when she smiled, she was positively radiant.

"I know, but it's one of my favourites."

"Well, Kagome-sama, if you like it so much, it's yours." Her lips created a delighted o of surprise before she wrapped up the storekeeper in a hug and kissed his cheek.

"Thank you so much! This is wonderful. I must go home and tell my Jiji." With that said she dashed from the store and began picking her way through the slight crowds of the market.

Unbeknownst (A/N Hehehehehe I love that word n.n) to Kagome, however, a man was watching her weave and twist in her haste to return home. He smiled, his eyes trailing her slender, curvy form as he leaned forward with his sword keeping him upright.

"See her, Jakotsu?" He turned to look at his accomplice, raising a brow when the man appeared to not be looking at their current subject of conversation.

"Mmm, I see her, alright. Don't see what's so special about her, though." Jakotsu huffed and turned away, sneakily taking quick peeks at his employer and, he liked to think, best friend.

"She's the most beautiful in the town, you fool. As the best man, here, I deserve the best-looking women, do you not agree?" Jakotsu sulked and turned away.

"I don't entirely agree with that, Naraku," he muttered, lifting his hand to his lips to gnaw on his nail. He never knew why he did it...just a nervous habit. His boss was a slender man who was rather toned where it counted and strangely deadly with the sword. His chin came to a slight point; a small cleft marking the tip. His nose was straight, face nicely tanned, eyes a vicious hazel that nearly glinted red in certain light and his brows were dark and arched vainly. His long hair was tugged up into a practical ponytail, the locks left to tumble down his spine in neat waves.

"I will make her my wife. She won't dare defy me," he nearly purred with a predatory smirk as Kagome once again walked into view.

"That's what I'm afraid of, boss," huffed Jakotsu with a vicious glare in the innocent woman's direction.

Aeryn