InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Beauty and the Demon ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Heya all. You can nevah get rid of me! Bwahahahahaha! n.n
I love you guys o-o


Chapter 2

Kagome hummed gaily to herself, weaving expertly through the milling Japanese merchants. That is, until she bumped into someone's chest. Her new scroll tumbled to the ground, landing at the booted feet of Naraku.

"Oh, I'm terribly sorry, Naraku-sama," she apologized politely, dipping her chin in a small bow. He smiled rather eerily and bent nearly in half, reaching down to retrieve her scroll from the dusty road and examining it.

"Reading, hmm? Women shouldn't read, Kagome-sama, it gives them ideas," he purred in his low, quiet voice that made a set of triplets and his escort Jakotsu sigh in appreciation, though only Kagome noticed the man's reaction to his employer's silky voice. She raised her brow at him sardonically, but he quite acted as if it never happened.

"I do believe I like having ideas, Naraku-sama, it's very improving. Now may I have my scroll back, please?" She made a weak attempt to grab the parchment from him, but he took a step away from her, avoiding her imploring grasp.

"Improving, ne? I do think you just gave me an idea, Kagome." She wrinkled her nose at the familiar way he addressed her and snatched her scroll back rather rudely.

"That is very fascinating, my Lord, but I do believe I should be getting home. There are chores to be done."

"Home to your dear Jiji, Kagome?" His hazel eyes glinted crimson for a moment as he rocked back on his heels, clasping his hands behind his back. She snorted softly and moved around him.

"Yes, home to help my Jiji manage his farm, if that is alright with you," she hissed the last part, ignoring the triplet's gasps of surprise at the venomous tone in her voice.

"That crazy old beggar? His wards are no better than that of an infant's," Jakotsu sneered at the woman resentfully. He wanted Master Naraku's attention, not this not this she-devil. She whirled around, fire crackling to life in her deep eyes.

"Don't you dare speak of my Jiji in such a manner you twisted gyaruo!" Oh yes, he managed to have gotten Kagome a little on the angry side with that remark. And it appeared Naraku agreed with a slap to the back of the man's head, even if he was laughing a moment before.

"Hai, don't speak so lowly of her Jiji, Jakotsu! You're terribly rude!" Kagome made a sound deep in her throat that could have been a growl, but instead of letting her fury wash over the two, she whirled around and stalked back to her farm, her arms taut at her sides, hands tightened into small fists of rage.



"Kagome, take care while I'm gone, will you?" Her Jiji began piling his homemade wards and a few holy artifacts on the back of a small wagon he had hitched to the horse Buyo. "I shall only be gone a day or two for this exorcism."

She smiled and leaned in to press a kiss to his crinkled cheek, to which he enveloped her in a tight hug.

"I'll miss you, Jiji. Take care." She helped the stocky elder onto the horse and walked beside the horse to the gate where she stopped and waved as her grandfather rode out of view at a light trot.

A long while later, he stared at the map, frowning and narrowing his beady eyes.

"I'm quite sure this is the way to go," he mumbled half to himself, momentarily ignoring Buyo's jittery movements and obvious hesitation. "Whoa, Buyo, old boy. Stop for a moment so I can read this..."

The horse obediently paused in his slow walk, staring forward at the fork in the road. One of the paths looked fairly normal in the dusky light, while the other looked insanely creepy. The beast shuddered beneath his owner and twisted to move down the safer path, but was stopped short when the elder tugged on the reins.

"Ho, there. I think it's the other way... I can't really tell, the kanji on these signs are terribly old..."

Buyo once again looked down the 'right' road and snorted at the faint mist that clung to the heavily shaded backdrop of wizened trees whose branches reached out in a silent scream of twisted agony. He firmly tossed his head and forcefully moved to continue down the clearer path, but was once again brought short. The horse emit a long-suffering whinny and decided to humor the human, knowing that the man would feel extremely foolish when they didn't end up where he wished to be. It was then that a sound of a snapping twig was brought to the beast's attention. Something was stalking them (A/N Are there wolves in Japan? I mean...what about Kouga o-o ... Well there are in this one, damnit!). Something with glinting yellow eyes and rumbling growls that came from every possible direction but forward.

The horse was spooked and drove forward at a canter, spilling the contents of the cart as a wheel jolted in a deep rut.

"Buyo! Stop, boy," the elder screeched in alarm as the horse plowed on at a surprisingly fast dash without the weight of his charms. He looked back for a mere second, only to yelp and cling to the horse when several wolves leapt from the surrounding forest to chase their prey.

"STOP!" Jiji roared, pulling back on the reins. And just in time too, as there appeared a cliff before them, Buyo's steel-shod hooves scraping against the rocky edge. He managed to stop at precisely the last moment. The equine whirled around and reared, throwing off his rider and bolting off through a small opening in the assault of canines like a skittish colt. Jiji was terrified. He rose to his feet faster than he had ever done and began scrambling through the mass of trees to his right, yelping in surprise as a root leapt up before him, seriously intent on tripping the feeble old man.

Jiji tumbled down a slope and rolled to a halt at the base of a set of huge iron gates. He gratefully slid them open and scrambled inside, kicking them shut just as one wolf leapt forward, ending up slamming his muzzle against the thick, heavy bars.

Then the heavens split, releasing an onslaught of fat droplets that pounded the earth with inhuman ferocity. The old man hissed in annoyance and stood, swaying on his feet to look around. Upon looking, he found a giant, imposing castle that appeared even more sinister with the sheets of rain and the random flashes of lightning. He hobbled to the oak doors and banged on them, pleading for help. One of the doors swung open with an almost throaty groan and he gratefully slipped inside.

"What the hell do you think you're doing, Miroku?!" a low voice hissed somewhere off to the right where the feeble wavering of golden flames flittered silently.

"There is nothing wrong with helping someone out, Kouga, Buddha says so," another male voice intoned sweetly, only to elect a growl in return.

"You know very well what will happen if the master gets word of this, you idiot priest!"

"I'm a monk, not a priest."

Jiji moved towards the voices, intrigued by the owners of the one smooth and charming and the other harsh and slightly grating, though a pleasure to listen to nonetheless.

"Excuse me, but can you help me? My horse ran off on me and it's raining really hard outside. Might I stay until the storm passes?" A low chuckle greeted his request, ignoring the hissing voice of the male he guessed to be Kouga in favour of the kinder-hearted Miroku-person.

"Of course, sir," The tongues of flame began moving and the three-pronged candelabra moved forward, bowing kindly. "You are certainly welcome to stay." The old man screeched in alarm, pointing at Miroku in horror.

"Demon!"

"Er, sir. Pardon me for interrupting your rant before it begins, but I am not a demon. I am a Buddhist monk."

A larger figure ambled forward. It appeared to be a faintly scruffy guard dog with the amazing ability to glare harshly at the Buddhist candelabra.

"You idiot, Miroku." Ahh, this talking canine must be the Kouga. It was strange to see the beast's lips and tongue form completely articulate words and he stared at him thoughtfully.

"Are you a demon?"

"Yes, I just happen to be an ookami-demon, you old coot, now leave before the Master sees you!"

"Nonsense, he just got here," Miroku quipped and moved to a further room with a waved...candle in the direction of a blissfully warm, lighted waiting room.

"Arigatou, arigatou," Jiji murmured over and over. "I shall be forever in your debt for this kindness, Miroku-sama." The candelabra flushed at the praise, then paled as the door was flung open, and a hulking figure stood silhouetted against the backdrop of pounding rain.

Slowly the beast dropped to his fores and slipped forward, stalking the man who was frozen in horrified awe.

"You will pay this debt of kindness with your freedom, old man," the beast rumbled, shifting in the deepest shadows. "Why are you here?"

"I-I-I-" The poor, overwhelmed Jiji was unable to form an articulate response in the 'Master's' allotted time because he continued speaking. Or snarling, rather.

"Come to stare at the half ling, rannyuu okina?!" he demanded and Jiji shook his head viciously.

"Good 'cause you won't be able to see me from the dungeon tower." With that, he stepped into the light, showing off his thick wintry pelt, baring his large canines, flexing his iron-hard claws and narrowing his piercing golden eyes.

"Dear Kami..." the old one breathed before he was swept away to be tossed into a damp dungeon room to rot.

"Say goodbye to your freedom, okina," Inu Yasha hissed cruelly before stalking from the tower.

Aeryn

Dictionary:

-sama: the title of lord or lady, added to a name to show respect.
Jiji: Grandfather
Gyaruo: man who imitates women in dress, hairstyles etc.
Kanji: Japanese characters (letters)
Rannyuu: trespassing
Okina: old man
Kami: God