InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Beauty and the Demon ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
I'm ba-ack! Didja miss me? Of course you did. I can see you all sitting on the edges of your seats in anticipation! XD


Chapter 3

Naraku slipped up to the Higurashi door. This would be a perfect time to propose marriage to Kagome, as her rather mental grandfather was not present. An oily smile curved his lips, glancing back at a pouting Jakotsu.

"Remember the plan, gyaruo." He apparently took enjoyment on seeing the pained glare Jakotsu returned when he reminded him of Kagome's rather amusing insult earlier that afternoon. His henchman nodded and turned towards the crude band, lifting his hands in anticipation. Naraku knocked lightly on the door, waiting in almost giddy glee for her to admit him in.



Kagome slid from her seat, placing her mending on the side table as she peeked through a small crack in the door, wincing as Naraku's face came into view. She mournfully slipped open the door, yelping as he shouldered his way inside rudely.

"Can I help you?" she ground out, crossing her arms lightly over her chest while glaring at his back. He was...admiring himself in the mirror... What an idiot.

"Kagome, I have a proposition for you," he murmured, whirling around to face her and moving to drop into a seat, lifting his muddy boots onto the table. She winced and moved around him, clearing up the lone dish that she ate her supper from while he continued. "You, my dear, are the most beautiful girl in this little town, ne? And as such, you should be with the most handsome. I, I must admit, am guilty of that crime, so in conclusion, I want you to be with me." Kagome nearly gagged in disgust.

"I really don't think-" he cut her off rudely, moving closer and forcing her to back up against her sturdy wooden door. She groped blindly at her side as his lips formed the words while shifting closer to her own.

"I really do think we would make such a perfect couple, Kagome. Just imagine how fun it would be making our children." His leer was nearly enough to make her violently ill. She found the doorknob and in a meek voice, murmured, "Naraku, I really don't think I deserve you," before opening the door and allowing him to tumble to his face before the musical group. The band struck up a fast rendition of a wedding minuet, much to Naraku's chagrin. Kagome smirked and closed the door, patiently mending until he stalked off, dragging Jakotsu behind him.



After an hour or so, she peeked out the door, glancing around for any sign of the insulted man. Her mischievous smile widened when she noticed he was long gone. She walked outside, grabbing a pail of grains and setting to work on her chores, humming gaily, knowing Naraku would get back at her for rejecting and humiliating him, but she would manage when that time came. The hens that scrabbled around her feet clucked and screeched in merriment as she haphazardly tossed down their food, giggling in amusement while she stepped around them.

With the feeding of her animals done, including her family of goats and the pigs, she found herself strolling through the grain field, absently running her fingers up the smooth browned stalks, imagining they were great marble pillars holding up a fantastic castle. That was one of the reasons that the villagers avoided her. Kagome happened to have a very active imagination. To her, everything was magical and filled with mystery and wonder. She hummed a bit louder, her mind's ear straining to hear the echoing lilt from the end of the invisible corridor. Her eyes fell closed, creating an odd backdrop at the end of the hallway. There against the wall the colour of moonlight was a man. His teeth gleamed oddly, as well as his eyes. She couldn't quite make out the colour, but it was something...inhuman.

He held out his hand, shyly inviting her to come to him. A deep, thrilling warmth rose up from Kagome's core, reaching the tips of her toes and fingers, but the moment she took her first step towards him, a sharp, frantic whinny broke her reverie. Her brown eyes snapped open and she whirled around, gasping as Buyo came barreling towards her, skidding to a stop about a foot away. She patted his nose in an attempt to calm him while glancing down at the small tears in the flesh of the beast’s flanks and ankles. Something was chasing her horse. It was then that something clicked in her mind, features twisting with worry.

"Oh! Buyo! But where's Jiji?" Fear gripped her, made her unable to move as the horse tossed his head, rearing back and pawing at the ground in skittish nervousness. Before she even registered the fact that she was moving, she grabbed the Clydesdale’s reins and dragged him to the front door, slipping inside only to gather her cloak before she easily undid the empty carriage and swept atop his wide back, spurring him forward.



Buyo stampeded forward, bursts of hot steam snorting from his large muzzle as he panted. His coat was covered in a light sheen of sweat, muscles pumping harder than they ever had to before. He was scared- terrified actually, but the surety of Kagome's skilled grip leading him on lessened the nervousness a touch. His steel-shod hooves ground to a halt before the imposing black gates of the sadistic-looking castle that loomed before them. The beast shuddered as he stopped, muscles twitching from overworking themselves. Water would be nice, but there didn't seem to be a nearby trough. Buyo sighed in defeat and waited as Kagome slid from his back, following her through the thickly barred entrance like a baby chick. He stayed close, his nose nearly resting on the small girl's head in order to stay quite near.

Kagome looked over her shoulder in irritation, swatting lightly at the beast's muzzle.

"Would you stop acting like a whipped pup? Stay here while I lo-" She stopped dead in her tracks. There, in the mud was Jiji's necklace. She bend down and scooped up the charm, staring at it mournfully. It was a crudely carved kanji sign for 'love', made by her father's hand while he was courting her mother. She slipped it in her pocket and moved towards the doors, timidly knocking.

The gargoyles on either side stared her down with hungry eyes, both looking dreadfully realistic. It seemed like they were going to pop up and attack her. She shook her head and looked back at the door, completely missing the shared glance between the two stone beasts.

With a sickly rumble, the two stone figures stood, straightening their backs. Kagome shrieked and stumbled back, tripping over the hem of her cloak and falling to the mud. In a feeble attempt to save herself, she threw her arms before her face, waiting expectantly for death.

Only...it never came...

However, she did hear the deep groan of the doors being pulled open at a rather sedate pace. She hesitantly looked up, seeing the two creatures opening the doors. When a satisfactory crack was made between the two large oak panels, one turned and loped towards her, holding out his hard, granite hand to help her to her feet.

"Gashi Miss. Settai to the home of Inu Yasha-sama." A protest died on the girl's lips as she accepted his aid, looking up at them.

"Er... If I may ask... Who are you?"

"I am Jinenji and that's Goshinki. We guard these doors." It was an unsatisfactory reply for Kagome, to say the least, but before she could protest she was ushered inside, hearing them slam the doors shut behind her. A gulp somehow worked its way past the lump in her throat and she glanced around.

"Umm... Konnichiha. Is...anyone home?"

Aeryn


Dictionary:

Gyaruo: man who imitates women in dress, hairstyles etc.
ne: a sound at the end of a questioning sentence, like 'hmm?' or 'huh?'
Jiji: Grandfather.
Gashi: Greetings.
Settai: Welcome.
-sama: the title of lord or lady, added to a name to show respect.
Konnichiha: Good day.
Converting /tmp/php2czZk0 to /dev/stdout