InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Beauty and the Demon ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Once again I'm here for your amusement. That's right. I'm slaving over a room-temperature keyboard just so that you can all giggle your merry hearts out! Aaaaanywho, on with the fic! n.n


Chapter 4

Kagome meekly wandered into the manor, brown eyes wide, the hair on the back of her neck rising. She licked her lips and steeled her shoulders, glancing around to see the faint flickering of a candle down a side corridor. With renewed courage, she started for it, slipping out of her dripping cloak.

"Konnichiha... I'm sorry to intrude, but...the...statues let me in... I'm looking for my father..." As she moved closer, she saw that the candle was being moved about rather violently and two hushed voices were murmuring behind a mostly closed door a bit further down the hallway.



"Did you hear that, Miroku? There's a damned girl in the house!" Kouga was nervously shifting from paw to paw, glancing at the doorway where the light footfalls were coming closer.

"Kouga, do you know what this means? Finally... Someone to break the spell," Miroku the candelabra murmured gleefully. "She's looking for her father! The okina! I have a plan..." He leaned in to whisper something into Kouga's pointed ear careful not to singe his fur.

A moment later, the wolf barreled through the partially open door, barking and growling and nearly terrifying the poor, rather attractive, girl to death. She squealed and leapt back, tripping on her cloak and falling to her bottom for the second time. He ambled forward, growling lowly and lowering his head. Behind him he heard Miroku clatter as quietly as his silver base could, around the corner. With a sudden delighted yip, Kouga leaned down to grasp a large chunk of Kagome's skirts, jerked her to her feet and tugged her further down the hallway.



Kagome stumbled after the wolf, her cloak having slipped from her fingers and was currently laying three hallways back. They appeared to be following the glow of the candles, the wolf's powerful shoulders rolling under the black fur, chestnut tail wagging insanely. A few times she thought she heard the beast murmur something in an excited tone, but she shook it off, thinking she must be going mad.

At once she was lead to a narrow, dingy staircase that was bathed in shadows. A nervous glance down at the wolf made her shudder as he stared at her expectantly, waiting for her to ascend to whatever horrors lay above. She gulped and took each stair as slowly as she could, until a decidedly canine head butted the backs of her knees with a snort of impatience. She sent him a mournful look over her shoulder before taking a deep breath and tackling the staircase with a renewed sense of herself.

It was only when she reached the dimly lit chamber at the top when she realized where she was lead. A pale, gaunt hand had slithered from between the low bars on a sturdy wooden door, followed by a series of deep, rumbling coughs that came from the very bottom of one’s chest.

“Oh, Jiji! Nani? Nani kotogaaru?” She dropped to her knees; unaware and uncaring that she had torn the skirt and shredded her flesh in the process. She clasped his cold hand and kissed the blue-tinged fingers, trying to restore some heat. He lurched in recognition and shuffled closer to the small gate.

“Kagome? Hashirisaru. Hashirisaru, onegaishimasu!” It seemed to be all he could say that wasn’t unintelligible babbling. She looked up at the lock, trying to guess how much of a chance she had at breaking it, not noticing the large, hulking beast slip into the shadows behind her, watching her frantic attempts to soothe her grandfather. The old man paled further, making his waxy skin look nearly translucent.

“He’s here! Hashirisaru! Onegaishimasu, Kagome!” It was then that a loud, inhuman roar rent the dank air. She stiffened and whirled around, pressing her back up against the mossy wood. She studied the dark outline of the massive creature, whimpering softly.

“Onegaishimasu … Sir, let my grandfather go,” she pleaded, her large brown eyes imploring the beast. He hesitated for a moment, then snarled and shook his massive head.

“Iie, the okina is my keito. I will not release him.” She looked around the room, as if the soggy, algae-ridden bricks would give her an idea. Miraculously, they did. She looked up into the glowing eyes of the beast, pulling herself into a straight-backed stand and taking a deep breath.

“Take me in his place. Onegaishimasu…?”

“You would honestly take this okina’s place?” He seemed surprised, lifting his head to stare at her assessingly. The dark brown wolf sidled up to his master’s side and watched her as well, his blue eyes gleaming with intelligence.

“Hai… This is my Jiji… I love him.” He stayed quiet for a moment, tilting his head to the side, then nodded and moved forward to release the gaunt figure from his prison.

“Iie, Kagome! Hashirisaru!” Kagome yelped in horror as he slunk through a band of light from the silent candelabra. He snarled, baring his overlarge fangs at her, then tore the padlock straight from the door with a sickening crack. Crouching, he grabbed the elderly man and slung him over a shoulder, padding from the room without another word.

She stared at his back before she broke down and wept. Her fragile body crumpled into a mound of moldy straw, ignoring the whimpering and nuzzlings of the sympathetic wolf. Several moments later, she felt the heat of a large body hovering over her trembling form.

"Nani? Have you come to torment me, you vile beast?" He flinched back unseen, golden eyes dimming. Slowly shaking his head, aware that she refused to even look at him, he gently scooped her up in his arms. Kagome only had the energy for a moment's resistance before she clutched at his pearly fur, weeping into his crimson cloak.

"You won't stay in the tower. I'll give you a room to sleep in." Her mournful sobs tugged at his hidden, sympathetic heart, but the thing that tore at him the most were the only words she managed to choke out between sorrowful gasps.

"You never let me say abayo..."

Aeryn


Dictionary:

Konnichiha: Good day.
Okina: old man.
Jiji: Grandfather.
Nani: What
Kotogaaru: Happened.
Hashirisaru: Run.
Onegaishimasu: Please.
Iie: No.
Keito: Prisoner.
Hai: Yes.
Abayo: Good-bye/Farewell.
Converting /tmp/phpju2wdC to /dev/stdout