InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Because Of Little Fish ❯ Breaking For Lunch ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Disclaimer: I don't own Inu Yasha or any of the other characters. I have, however, created a new character that's not me that I've added to spice things up a bit. Have fun!
 
chihiro-san: I found this old story on my computer and thought I'd rewrite it. Hope you like.
 
~*~*~*~
 
 
The sky was forget-me-not blue and dotted with puffy white clouds. A soft wind ruffled the endless sea of grass that covered the rolling hills of Japan's countryside. Mountains loomed far off in the distance. The air was warm and sweet with the smell of summer as it brushed the feet of a ramshackle group of travelers. Their feet fell hard on the soft dirt road they had been following.
 
“When will we stop for lunch?” complained a young fox-demon named Shippo. “I'm so tired that I can't feel my feet.” The hanyou Inu Yasha flicked his silvery head to see Shippo sitting on Kirara's back. His golden eyes flashed with annoyance.
 
“Maybe you'd feel your feet if you used them,” he snapped, returning his gaze to the road ahead.
 
“The reason I can't feel them is because I've been using them! Maybe you'd feel smart if you used your head!” Inu Yasha began to flex his fingers and growl. Kagome, sensing an argument heating up, intervened.
 
“Listen, I think Shippo's right. Let's stop for lunch. And don't you complain about lost time, Inu Yasha. I know we won't make it to the next town before nightfall if we stop, but it'll be worth it to make you two stop bickering.” She lowered the accusing finger she had been pointing at Inu Yasha's chest. He glowered at her and the group sat down a few yards away from the road.
 
After eating a healthy meal of ramen and chips, the feudal friends sat and rested their full stomachs, much to the annoyance of the ever-ready hanyou.
 
“Come on! We ate, didn't we? Now we can go! If we run most of the way, we might be able to make it to the town by midnight!” Everyone looked at him like he was speaking gibberish.
 
“Will you relax, Inu Yasha? The town isn't going to get up and walk away if we don't reach it today. Just let us rest for a few more minutes.” Sango sighed as she closed her eyes. She had almost fallen into a half-sleep when she sensed a hand moving closer to her. She leapt to her feet and walked to the road.
 
“I'm ready to go.” She snapped. Miroku looked slightly put off at her sudden readiness, but he rose too. Kagome stood and picked up the snoozing Shippo. They collected themselves and continued down the road.
 
They were walking for about an hour when Inu Yasha's ears pricked. He stopped suddenly and Kagome ran into his back. She threw Shippo in surprise, who landed on Miroku. Though caught Shippo, he lost his balance and fell onto Sango. Ultimately, the only one standing was Kirara. Inu Yasha glared at them fiercely.
 
“You fools! When someone stops, you stop, not smack into them! Now be quiet, I'm trying to listen.” He turned his head towards the sound, so as to hear better, but he couldn't figure out what it was that he was hearing. It sounded like whining and laughing. He didn't get it. Then he heard something that was familiar: the sound of a foot hitting flesh.
 
“What is it?” Miroku asked, now on his feet. Inu Yasha looked at him through the corners of his eyes.
 
“Someone's being beaten,” he commented as though he said this every day. Kagome put a startled hand to her mouth.
 
“Well, we have to help them!” She exclaimed. Inu Yasha rolled his eyes.
 
“No, we don't. We're not out on this hunt for the good of mankind, we're traveling to find Shikon jewel shards. Now-are you listening to me?!” He barked at Kagome's back. She had already started off down the road and towards the noise. She stopped when she was a few yards off and turned around.
 
“Aren't you coming?!” She yelled to them. Everyone knew her stubbornness and decided to go with her. Who knew? Maybe the person they were going to help would know some rumors about the said demon in the next town. They half-heartedly trotted towards the noise.
 
The sound grew louder as they followed the road. As they passed over a hill, the travelers saw a long, snaking river and an ancient stone bridge. It was made of a worn grey rock and had various mosses forming in its grooves. They passed over the bridge and saw what had been making the noise. A little ways off the side of the dirt road, a small troupe of bandits were huddled over a small figure. They were kicking it and jeering. When the jewel hunters neared them, they saw that the small figure was a young girl. She had blood-caked black hair and was covered in mud.
 
“This is what you get for stealing from us, missy!” sneered the first of the three men.
 
“No one pilfers men like us!” Laughed the ruffian to the first man's left.
 
“You moronic bunch of pathetic thieves! Untie me and fight fair!” She lashed at their ankles and tugged at her bindings.
 
“Now it's personal, girly,” The third man said as he walked towards their campfire. He took out a log, its tip glowing a deep red, and bent next to the girl. The man yanked her kimono off of her shoulder and was about to press it against her bare flesh when an arrow shot him in the back. He crumpled like a flower in a drought, dropping the log. Unfortunately, it fell on the girl. She yelled in agony and rolled on her side to avoid a worse burn. The remaining two bandits looked at their eldest brother, shell shocked. Their gaze drifted upwards and they saw Kagome and her motley crew ready for action. The two men yelped like puppies and ran away with their tails between their legs.
 
 
~*~*~*~
 
chihiro-san: Please review. Chapter two will be up soon!