InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Because Of Little Fish ❯ Mending A Wound ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Disclaimer: I don't own Inu Yasha or any of the other characters. I have, however, created a new character that's not me that I've added to spice things up a bit. Have fun!
 
 
~*~*~*~
 
 
“Well that was easy,” Kagome breathed, lowering her bow. They looked down at the squirming girl. She had on a ragged, patched kimono and looked to be only bruised. She twisted against her bindings.
 
“Hey! Any of you want to help? Please?” She added quickly.
 
“No, not really,” Inu Yasha stated. Kagome glared at him. The look in her eyes perfectly said `if you don't be nice, I'm going to sit you until you strike oil.' He gulped and shut up. Miroku was the one who walked over to her. He sliced through her bindings. Instantly, she leapt to her feet in a defensive stance.
 
“Thanks,” she said curtly and began to run off. Unfortunately, Miroku was too quick for her. He grabbed the back of her kimono and sat her down roughly.
 
“Where are you off to in such a hurry? You're not leaving until you've spoken to us and had something to eat.” Inu Yasha gave the monk a noticeable double-take.
 
“Now wait a minute! We just ate!” He yelled. Miroku nodded sensibly.
 
“Yes, we ate, but she didn't. We need to help her.” The girl looked up at the monk indignantly.
 
“You most certainly do NOT have to help me! I was fine before I met you, and I'll be fine when you let me go.” Sango scoffed at this.
 
“Fine, huh?” She said. “You don't look `fine'. You look like a half-starved puppy that fell in a mud puddle.” The girl scowled at Sango.
 
“That settles it. We're camping here. Shippo, will you look for more wood for that fire?” Kagome asked as she began to unpack her belongings. Inu Yasha dashed over to the miko and swiped her pack.
 
“We are NOT MAKING CAMP! We just had lunch, and if we don't move soon, we're not going to get to that damn village before winter!” He snarled in her face. Kagome's eyes began to shine and Inu Yasha gulped.
 
“I just wanted to help someone…” She mumbled. Without further ado, Inu Yasha slammed down the backpack and started setting up camp himself. Kagome beamed at him and helped him unpack.
 
 
~*~*~*~
 
“Kagome? Are you SURE that no one is watching? I didn't really trust that monk.” The mud-caked girl was standing by the edge of a pond. The three girls, and Shippo of course, had meandered downstream a ways and found the little bathing spot. Seizing the opportunity, they decided to inform (or warn, depending on how you look at it) the boys that they would be bathing. In other words, the new girl threatened them until she turned blue in the face and had to be dragged to the watering hole.
 
It was a quiet little pond. Small silvery fish darted between rocks and toes. Water skippers skittered out of the way when ripples were formed. Moss was abundant on the soggy bank and grew on every available rock. Frogs belched their lonesome song to one another in the surrounding bushes. The water was cool and refreshing on the hot summer day.
 
“Don't worry,” Kagome said. “After what you said, I don't think either of them will come within fifty meters of us.” Kagome, Sango, and Shippo were already bathing in the water. The girl stared at the little fish in a way that seemed almost angry. Shaking her head, she peeled off her kimono and eased into the water. The cool liquid stung her burn, causing her to cry out, but after a moment it grew numb.
 
“See! It's not so bad!” Shippo laughed. He was always the effervescent one. The girl smiled and slipped under the water's surface. An explosion of brown and red found its way to the top as she scrubbed her head. After a minute of scouring, she came up for air, completely clean. Finally they were able to get a good look at her. She had shiny black hair that fell to her shoulders and skin the color of fresh cream. Her cheeks donned a rosy hue and her eyes were a soft honey color.
 
“Are you an inu youkai?” Sango asked. The girl smiled at her and shook her head.
 
“Close, but incorrect. I'm a youkai, yes, but not an inu youkai. I'm a wolf demon.” The group nodded. She sat down on a soft bit of moss and let her body soak in the water. Shippo cleared his throat.
 
“So, um, what's your name?” The girl opened one eye and looked at the kit before closing it again.
 
“My name is Grevaria,” She droned placidly.
 
“Grevaria? That's not Japanese, is it?” Kagome asked. Grevaria's smiled slipped a bit.
 
“No, I suppose not. But my mother always had an active imagination and she was the one who named me. She said it came to her in a nightmare.” She stepped out of the cool water and washed off her kimono.
 
“A nightmare? Why would she name you after something that scared her?” Sango asked intrepidly. Grevaria wrung out her kimono and put it on. It was still wet, but she didn't mind.
 
“You ask too many questions. I'm going to go back to camp.” She jogged the hundred odd meters to the makeshift campsite. Miroku and Inu Yasha were sitting on the grass by a small fire. They looked up at her when she approached and offered her a seat. She mentioned that she was hungry in an offhand tone and Miroku began to cook a bowl of ramen. He had watched Kagome do it so many times that he didn't need directions.
 
In the seven minutes it took Miroku to cook the soup, Inu Yasha hadn't taken his eyes off of the newcomer. She was so familiar, and yet he couldn't think of how he knew her. Her eyes were what haunted him the most. It was as if something in the back of his mind was trying to break free, but he wouldn't let it. She looked up at the hanyou and a shiver ran down his spine. He heard a splash and someone yelling.
 
“Did you hear that?” He asked in a worried tone. Miroku looked at him oddly as he passed the girl her ramen.
 
“Hear what?”
 
“That splash! I heard the splash of water and someone yelling!” A quizzical light flashed in Miroku's eyes.
 
“Inu Yasha, I think you should get to sleep earlier tonight. You're beginning to imagine things. So,” he said, turning to the girl, “what's your name?” She swallowed the mouthful of noodles she had been chewing.
 
“It's Grevaria.” An even larger shiver shot down Inu Yasha's spine. That name…It was horribly familiar.
 
“Well, Grevaria, I hope you stay with us for as long as you need.” Miroku's hand was almost on her when a foot crushed it. He looked up and into the furious face of Sango. She ground his hand with her heel and the monk grimaced. She let his bloodied palm go and sat down with Kagome and Shippo.
 
“Perfect timing,” Miroku gasped, smiling weakly.
 
“I thought so,” Sango said, glowering.
 
“Grevaria, where are you from?” Shippo began. For a moment, the young kit thought he saw anger in the girl's eyes, but he must have been mistaken.
 
“So many questions! The answers will be given when the time is right. Unfortunately, that time is not right now. I shall see you in the morning.” She stood and turned from them, but the kit called her back.
 
“You're going to sleep already?! But the sun's barely set!” He yipped. She smiled at him softly.
 
“I noticed, but I have been awake for almost two days now. Those bandits kept me on my toes. Until tomorrow…” She nodded to them and looked at Inu Yasha hard before walking away from them. When she was about twelve feet from camp, she lied down and began to dream. This left the jewel hunters with ample time to discuss the newcomer.
 
 
~*~*~*~
 
Chihiro-san: You guys want to know the REAL reason as to why she went to bed early? It's because I'm too tired to continue writing! No for real, all will be revealed later on. I know certain things about her are…creepy…kinda. But this is far from over…