InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Because Of Little Fish ❯ Dreaming ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Inu Yasha or any of the other characters. I have, however, created a new character that's not me that I've added to spice things up a bit. Have fun!
 
 
 
~*~*~*~
 
 
 
A strange fog rested on the camp that night. No one knew why the valley was suddenly shrouded in mist, but one thing led to another and soon everyone was asleep. Well, almost everyone. Inu Yasha leapt up onto a leafy tree branch and gazed down at his sleeping companions. Everything seemed to be in order. Kagome was curled up next to the fire with Shippo in her arms. Sango was back to back with Kirara. Miroku was going to hold the watch position, but soon fell asleep against the tree that Inu Yasha found himself in. The hanyou rested his back on the trunk and snorted. Nothing was out of the ordinary except for the fog and the newcomer. His eyes quickly darted to the girl that slept a half-dozen meters away. Through the fog he could see her breathing slowly. The curve of her side fell gently up and down, and for some reason he found himself getting groggy. He continued to stare, as if mesmerized. Suddenly, he felt his eyes close and he drifted out of space and time.
 
*
 
He drifted in the fog, high above the others. Instant fear of falling seized him, but he recovered when he saw something he did not expect. He saw the valley unfold into a beach just a few meters from camp. A sigh of relief escaped his lips. He was having a dream. As if his mind was deciding for him, which it was, he floated over the ocean. The fog was oddly dense over it and the sky was iced with foreboding gray clouds. Through the thick curtain directly under his naked feet he could see thousands and thousands of tiny silvery fish. Their scales shimmered in the half-light. He laughed and then heard someone else chuckle as well. Whipping around, Inu Yasha saw two children. One, he was surprised to see, was himself. The very young, laughing hanyou was sitting on an old, creaking, weather-stained dock. Next to him was a little girl.
 
`Oh…it's her…' he thought. The girl was also laughing. She was about five, like himself in this dream. She had fair skin, rosy cheeks, raven hair that was pulled back with a green ribbon, and glittering golden eyes. `Grevaria…Oh, I knew it was you...' He landed noiselessly on the dock directly behind the two children. They were at the very end, looking at the fish. She giggled and pointed at the sparkling minnows.
 
`Look, Inu Yasha! Fishies!' she squealed. Her voice was high and fair, but somehow distant. It seemed to echo in his mind. Then it hit him. This wasn't a dream. This had happened; he was in his memory. Cold sweat poured down his cheeks as he clamped his eyes shut. He didn't want to see this, not again. Once was too much. He had spent most of his life forgetting her, and now she was back. Little Inu Yasha looked up at the sky. A bolt of lighting flickered in the distance and rain began to fall. The little one held up his hand and caught a raindrop.
 
`Let's go back, Grevvy. It's raining.' She turned and stuck her tongue out at him.
 
`Don't be such a cat, Inu Yasha! Rain won't kill us!' The older Inu plugged his ears in desperation, but to no avail. The words were in his head as well as around him. Something was forcing him to relive his past. The rain came down harder and the ocean pitched.
 
`But your mom said that-`
 
`“Mom said this”, “Mom said that”! Come on, scaredy-cat! Just look at the fish with me and we`ll go.' He reluctantly stumbled over to her, slipping on bits of wet slime. They gazed at the fish whose bellies winked up at them. After a few seconds, she gave him a sidelong glance and slipped her hand into his. Being the boy that he was (well, is), he leapt back and wrenched his hand out of hers. All at once he slid on a patch of moss. He fell onto the wet boards with a loud thump. When he fell, his bare feet shot outwards and knocked Grevaria off the dock. She fell into the icy water with a scream and a splash.
 
“Grevaria!” Both Inu Yashas yelled, crawling over to the side of the dock. She came up in a fit of splashing and coughing.
 
`Inu Yasha! Help me! I-I can't swim and these waves are-` A somewhat large swell crashed on her head and pushed her down. She quickly returned to the surface, despite her inability to swim. Her kicking and flailing about was almost like pseudo-treading water. She spit a stream of saltwater out of her mouth.
 
`Grevvy! Grevvy, grab my hand!' Two sets of hands, little and big, stretched out to help the little girl. She tried as hard as she could to grab hold of the little boy's outstretched fingers, but his hands were too wet. The adult Inu Yasha tried to grab her by the neck of her green kimono, but his hands went right through her. His eyes filled with a terror to rival his young counterpart. He couldn't help her. Again.
 
`In-nu Yash-sh-sha!' she wailed, tears streaming from her eyes. Lightning cracked over their head as the rain fell in bullets. The little one on the dock held onto one of the posts and lied down on his stomach with one hand reaching out to her.
 
`Hold on, Grevvy! I've almost got you!' he growled as he tried to extend his reach. Suddenly, an enormous wave engulfed the little girl. In one last attempt to save her, young Inu Yasha let go of the dock and shot out his hand. All that he did was snatch the ribbon from her hair. He stared desperately down at the clear surface as he watched her be dragged deeper and deeper under the water's surface.
 
`No…GREVARIA!' He howled. Horror filled his eyes as she began to disappear before his eyes. The last thing to fade was her eyes. They flickered with disappointment up at him, and then they were gone. Soon, the bubbles that had flowed steadily upward stopped coming. He stayed in that spot for an hour, staring at the surface of the water. The rain died down to a light drizzle. The glittery fish swam back to where they were, as if nothing had happened. Young Inu Yasha stared at the water open mouthed. Utter terror was plastered onto his face. The little one looked at the green ribbon in his hand and sobbed.
 
“NO! SHE'S NOT DEAD!” The older Inu Yasha yelled. “Why don't you swim after her, you little brat!? Oh, that's right. YOU CAN'T! You're just going to sit there and let your only friend in the world DIE! Well, NOT THIS TIME!” He trotted back to the sand and took a running leap into the water. As soon as he struck the surface of the ocean, he awoke with a start.
 
“Inu Yasha! Wake up!” The newcomer, `Grevaria', called up to him. He looked around frantically. Everyone was getting breakfast ready and putting away their sleeping things. The sun was up and glowing brightly. Everything was green and good. He slowly returned his gaze to the girl underneath him.
 
`What? This is impossible…Grevaria died well over eighty years ago in that storm…so who's this?' he thought as he hopped out of the tree and down to the meal that was waiting for him.
 
 
 
~*~*~*~
 
 
chihiro-san: Sorry that this one's so short, guys-os, but I kinda have to go eat dinner now. But hey! At least I updated! Sorry, but I've kinda been focusing on “That's Show Business”, my other fic. Don't worry; I'm not giving up on this one!