InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Becoming His ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

As evening turned to night everyone fell sound asleep. He watched and he waited feeling slightly anxious. With every uneventful second that passed his eyes drifted to the raven haired girl who slept soundly with the tiny fox kit snuggled against her. Something had been off recently and it bothered him to no end. It puzzled him that she no longer acknowledged the fact that once a week he had been beckoned by the un-dead priestess to visit. This had been going on for the past five months and at the beginning she was so upset she left for a week.

When she returned the scent of tears would fill the camp every time he returned from another meeting. But those tears that once wafted throughout the were now non existent. Her face was no longer marred by a brokenhearted expression morning after his rendezvous. He thought he knew what guilt felt like before. But, this emptiness he had began to feel brought him to a new low. He had tried weeks ago to broach the subject, but she had none of it.

She simply smiled at him and waved him off. Her reaction shook him to the core, because it was not a fake halfhearted smile. The smile that graced him that day was a truly beautiful and genuine smile. She did not let him utter a single sound before she simply said said she understood. He was dumbstruck as she walked away humming to herself. The feeling that had overcome him was dread and uncertainty, and he was still unable to move past those feelings.

A low growl reverberated from his chest. After that interaction he had noticed she seemed happier and more at ease. But he was certain that this new found happiness had nothing to do with him or her "understanding" of the situation. That thought stung, but he didn't have time to linger on those thoughts as Kikyo's soul collectors gathered beyond the tree line. He took a deep breath leaping stealthily through the trees.


He stooped only a few short strides away from her an ethereal glow surrounding her form. Even in death she carried the same beauty she had in life. A small smile fell on his face as he began to reminisce. In his youth he had been drawn to her because to an extent she had accepted him. She also intrigued him, she was young by age but she always seemed so strong and wise beyond her years. Looking upon her now made his heart ache, she was nothing like the kind and gentle miko she had once been. And, she assuredly was nothing like the young girl who so brashly entered his life and gave as good as he did in the heat of an argument.

"Something is troubling you." The statement brought his mind back to the present and he nodded.

"It's almost over." She all but whispered walking towards a large tree at the edge of the clearing placing her hand upon it. "This shall be the last time we see each other before the end". His heart clenched. Having her say these things hurt and tugged at his soul, taking him back to the day he was betrayed by a facade created by Naraku.

The pain lessened somewhat as he thought upon the agreement they had come to the first meeting five months ago after a deadly battle with another of Naraku's minions. She no longer expected him to be bound too his promise to go with her to the afterlife..

"Kikyo" he paused. Lifeless brown eyes gazed upon him as he stuttered "Thank you"

She made no motion but he understood that she simply acknowledged his words. "It is not me you should thank. If it had not been for that girl saving me I would never have released you from your oath."

His heart raced thinking back to that fateful day. Kikyo lay dying souls flowing from her as she was attacked relentlessly by Naraku's latest reincarnation. Kagome that brash and idiotic girl had made it past the incarnations defenses, beyond the reach of her friends and rushed to save Kikyo. She had selflessly acted and Kagome had paid for it being out of commission for nearly a week, and it had scared him to death.

The silence that stood between them was peaceful. He felt that he had concluded everything he had needed. HE was no longer needed here. She turned back to look at him their eyes connecting the ending cemented between them. He spared her one last look before he took off into the trees.


He couldn't move fast enough, his heart was racing. He yearned more than anything in this moment for the sight, the scent, the mere presence of the sleeping girl he left in his wake.

He was less than a mile from the campsite when he was hit by a sudden realization. He hadn't once been able to sense Kagome's aura. She was had trained hard over the years but when she slept she was still unable to control her aura as she slept. That energy was released in bursts throughout the night and could be felt almost two miles out from where she slept. A pang of horror struck him, what if something had happened? What if his pack was attacked while he had been away? He bit his lip pushing himself faster through the wood.

When he got to the camp the fire had all but burned out, Miroku and Sango sleeping soundly. He crept along the perimeter, taking a deep breath somewhat calming his nerves. His eyes turned towards the sleeping bag. The small fox kit lay sound asleep, but Kagome was no where to be found. He took another breath, perhaps she had needed to relive herself. Or perhaps she had become thirsty, as she often did at night, and wandered to the small spring they had passed before stopping.

Scenting the air he caught her scent leading towards the spring. He bolted, that stupid girl knew better than to run off by herself. Guilt washed over him, if he had been there she would not have gone off alone. With every leap and bound her scent grew stronger and washed over him calming him somewhat.

Abruptly he halted another scent wafted into his nose, he let out a low growl. He new that pungent odor anywhere. It was not only the smell of an enemy but also that of a rival. The smell of wolf was like a whisper in the wind but it was there and he was ready for a fight. If that wolf so much as touched her he was dead.

He was about to break through the clearing that surrounded the spring, but held back. His curiosity overtaking him as the sounds of conversation and not of distress became clearer. Deciding to eavesdrop he quickly called to his yokai, using words of ancient magic to conceal his being. He prayed that it worked Myoga had tried to teach him but without a visual example of how it was supposed to work he was taking a big chance relying on this technique. Creeping closer, remaining in the highest branches of the canopy Kagome and Kouga came into view.

Bile rose in his throat, losing his balance slightly and nearly tumbling from the branches above. His heart sank into the pit of his stomach. Kagome stood on the tip of her toes arms around the neck of the wolf prince in a soft embrace.

Every yokai instinct in him emerged, he was ready to pounce and swiftly take out his competition. No male other than himself and there pup had a right to touch her in such an affectionate way. His humanity battled with his instinct he had to be rational about the situation. Had he not brought this upon himself? His claws dug into his palms, as he waged war within himself.

He thought upon the old priestess Kaede, who had taught him there was great strength in using meditation to quell the beast within him. Taking a deep breath closing his eyes and tuning out the world, he slowly began to regain control. His ear twitched bringing him back to the moment, catching the sweet soothing voice of Kagome.

"I promise to ask him Kouga but I don't expect him to agree. You know how he gets whenever you are brought up."

The wolf withdrew from her embrace, and tapped a clawed finger upon her forehead. "Whether he agrees or not Kagome it doesn't matter. We made a promise to each other, and I expect you to uphold your end of it. Nothing can be accomplished if we are apart."

Nodding Kagome let out a soft sigh "I know, I know. But that doesn't make it any easier. What if he asks questions? What if he wants to know why? He knows when I am lying Kouga."

He Chuckled "Well you have to figure it out, whether he agrees or not it matter very little. It will still happen."

Inuyasha was stunned for a moment when Kagome threw her head back looking up at the sky. He gaze landing on the moon, then towards the very tree he was perched in. "I have to go, he will be back soon." Her voice was strained and laced with sadness. Inuyasha cringed but the feeling of guilt washed away as he looked upon the betrayal before him.

"Kagome remember what I said, don't look so upset or you won't stop thinking about it. If you go to bed thinking the way you are he will notice something is wrong. We have been over this time and time again." Kagome simply closed her eyes for a moment, before sparing Kouga one last glance, he speed off in a whirlwind.


He watched her as she waded into the small stream kneeling down, cupping her hands together, pouring water over her exposed skin. He watched furiously nails digging so hard into the branch beneath him it splintered with an audible crack. Her eyes once again darted toward his hiding spot. He stilled and soon she went back to washing herself in the stream.

The bitch was washing the wolfs scent away she was purposeful hiding what she had been doing. He could barley breath, as she moved from the stream, walking into the wooded area. He bit back another growl as she brushed up against the trees and undergrowth trying to mask the wolfs stench that still lingered on her clothes.

She waltzed back into camp gazing around in the trees, when she was satisfied that she had beat him, she made her way to the sleeping bag nudging the kit softly as she laid down.

When the even sound of her breathing caught his ear, he perched in the tree above where she lay, glaring at the girl. He couldn't wait for the sun to rise he was going to get answers and when he did she would be sorry.