InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Before There Was You ❯ Reason to Exist ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Alright, seeing as my muse is threatening to make his pet dragon eat my entrails if I don't get my ass to work, and that sounds awfully messy and I don't feel like cleaning, I think I'll get my ass in gear and continue this story. So, here we go. Chapter six of "Before there was You". . .

~~~

"Before There Was You"

by: Banshee Puppet

Chapter Six: Reason to Exist

```````

She searched for the witch of Kunukanai, but what she was really searching for was a reason to exist, the reasons that she existed at all. She didn't know where she was from, where she belonged, and she wanted to know, really wanted to know. As they traveled, Kouga explained to her about the wars between the wolf and cougar youkai, how they disappeared, how Ajika of the Kunukanai was behind it all.

And Kuma? She scowled deeply and said, "that's really pretty harsh. If you're right, I don't think I'll be able to forgive her, but I still want my answers first. I need to know who I am, that's really the most important thing right now. Then maybe…I'll be able to tear down the wall between us."

"The wall?"

"The wall between me, and the people I care about the most. I have to find out the truth, for them. Because if what I suspect to be true, is true, then they might never forgive me, for having been born."

And she fell into silence. That was a place Kouga couldn't go, couldn't press, he knew. He was only a strange wolf helping her find her way, and with ulterior motives of his own as well. He couldn't ask that. He couldn't go there.

```````

Sesshomaru was having second thoughts. He knew well enough that he would not allow Kuma to be hurt in any way, but also, he knew, this was something she had to do on her own, whatever it was, he'd seen it in her eyes that night. And also, he was impatient. Kuma traveled much faster than he did, and with the others slowing him down, it was more frustrating still.

`She could be badly hurt before we even catch up to her!' his mind hissed.

Almost as if sensing his thoughts, Inuyasha said quietly, "she'll be fine. Try not to worry so much.'

Sesshomaru blinked. It was like Inuyasha was reading his mind lately. `How does he do that! It's quite irritating!'

"If it was Kagome, I'd probably be running on all cylinders to go rescue her. I don't really understand how you can be so calm, but I guess you were always like that."

Sesshomaru sighed. "Calm? Don't worry? How can I not worry when she's chasing after some woman that even that moron, Naraku, fears. But still, do I have any right to interfere? I still don't know the answer to that. I just don't want to see her hurt."

```````

"Yes, Haioh? What have you discovered from the swordsmith," Ajika asked levelly.

"The reason you cannot find the girl, M'lady Ajika, is that a drop of Naraku's blood was used in the creation of the blade. Oudabi has betrayed you," Haioh said levelly.

"I trust you have seen to his punishment?" Ajika asked with a snarl. `Naraku! Still protecting your precious daughter, even now?'

"He will…live forever, just as he wanted," Haioh answered, smirking wickedly. "If one can call THAT living."

"As always, Haioh, it seems you are the only one that I can rely on."

```

Elsewhere, the once great swordsmith, Deraku Oudabi sits in the corner, staring blankly, face contorted into an expression of fear. Occasionally, small squeaking noises escaped his throat. He was living out his worst nightmare while Zaru tried desperately to wake him, to no avail. Unknown to the young apprentice, his mentor will never wake, watching the pup's death over and over again, never able to save him, just barely able to brush fingers over his fur before the final blow is struck and the boy's blood splatters everywhere. For his betrayal, Deraku Oudabi spends eternity confronting his worst nightmare, and each time does not make it easier, because the dream is forgotten as easily as it is begun, each time is like the first, for the rest of his days, made longer by the very blood he doted after, Naraku's blood. Haioh had always been good at punishing the wicked, always.

```

"Thank you, Mistress," Haioh said evenly.

"I've been thinking about time, quite a bit, Haioh, and have decided, I would like you to alter the future for me. I trust you are patient enough for the task?"

"I am, the most patient man alive, you know that, Lady Ajika."

"Hmn. Yes, I suppose I do. Take this shard then, and when the moon is in the proper phase, at the proper time, use it to destroy that girl's heart. I would like you, Haioh, to pretend to be a father to a child who fell through time, and then, ruin her. Kill her, or bend her to my will…it matters not, but do not fail me. I want her to return to the past, as she has, with a dark heart, or none at all, if she returns."

"I understand."

```````

Everyone was asleep for the night, or most everyone. Sesshomaru sat up, unable to rest with Kuma's predicament on his mind, and Miroku also, was still awake. Finally, though he knew it might be a deathwish to say something, Miroku spoke.

"Stop beating yourself up for going after her," he said. "If you're together, really together like you claim, if you love each other that much, than her business IS your business. You're only doing what any of us would do. Inuyasha would be there for Kagome, I'd be there for Sango, even if she doesn't feel the same for me as I do for her. So it's your right, and your duty, as a man in love, to be there for Kuma. She'll forgive you, so just, be there for her. Give her what support you can, and when there's something she has to do with her own two hands, then let her, but stand by her side when she does it. Support her, let her support you, and stop thinking so much."

Sesshomaru scowled at the monk. He didn't have any right to pry, but. . .he had given him advice about Kuma before, in this same regard, so, for the moment, he would. . .allow it. The human didn't mean any harm.

His eyes glanced at the demon exterminator sleeping on the other side of the fire, and he mumbled, "you'll never know unless you ask," before letting his eyes drift shut. No, he wasn't asleep, but he didn't feel like talking anymore.

Miroku sighed, looking longingly at Sango, and said softly, to himself, "perhaps," before brushing the hair from her eyes and looking at his cursed hand with a scowl. "But not yet."

`````

okay, another short chapter, but I think I know what probably happens next, and that should be in the next chapter, so, there it is! One, maybe two more chapters, if I'm correct. This story COULD have an epilogue too, but I don't think it will, b/c the arc is still going to continue after this story, so blah. I don't know how many more stories I'll write in this arc after this story though, two at least, maybe more. Anyway, thoughts, opinions? R&R.

Also, for those of you who are reading this via FF.net, the last chapter, something went wiggy with the quotes and stuff, so I'm going to try to re-upload and replace that chapter and see if it works out. *crosses fingers* As always, those of you who reviewed, thanks so much.

Until Next Time,

Happy Haunting,

~Banshee Puppet~