InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Behind Ancient Mists ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of “Inuyasha” by Rumiko Takahashi nor do I own the world as put in place by Saranne Dawson's, Secret's of the Wolf.
 
A/N: Well this is the second chapter in all its short glory. All I can say is that what I set out to do with this chapter has been accomplished and that this story will not go higher than a “T” rating. I don't do anything above that so, although I will include `romance' scenes in future chapters they will stay clean.
 
Now…onto the story!
.
.
.
.
« Behind Ancient Mists »
.
.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Chapter Two
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
.
.
.
.
Her steps were slow and thoughtful. Kagome thought, as she reached over to turn out the light and as she snuggled under the warmth of her covers, what it would be like living here—alone. It was true that by law she was old enough to be on her own, to have children even, but at the age of twenty-three Kagome was still a child at heart. She squealed in fright upon meeting a mouse and in delight upon meeting a friend.
 
Walking slowly back to the room she had stayed as a child, her hands grazed the walls and gingerly she fingered the photographs. One in particular had been of when she was seven. Her mother and father were there, holding her and smiling. Uncle Jira had taken the picture and was caught halfway in the photograph after taking it and rushing into position. Moments like that always made her smile, but looking down the hallway they now brought on a sense of nausea.
 
After placing the feminine necklace Uncle Jira had in his possession on her neck for a few moments of make-believe, Kagome made her way to bed. Now with her head down and eyes closed Kagome seemed to find some temporary sleep, but they were not filled with sunlight, but silent shadows and unseen screaming.
-
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-
The cabin door creaked open slowly and a tall, deep shadow entered inside, but not before giving a curt nod to the shape of a wild dog that had just made its way to the cabin. The dog seemed skittish and fearful as if it would rather be anywhere, but near humans. Still, as it backed off, the towering male and the cowering animal's eyes locked. Only for a brief second did their eyes meet before only one pair of golden eyes was left to enter in. He had a job to do and he would not fail. He was not a man to generally condone conflict, but if it found him tonight he would not let even her get in his way.
-
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-
Kagome awoke with a jerk as her eyes panned around the room. It was still dark, but a few etches of light could be seen reflecting in the hall. With a light groan she lifted herself into an upright position. Instantly her arms clung tightly to her body and her eyes closed painfully. Something was not right. It was as if a cold air had swung into her body and refused to leave. Kagome's eyes trailed back to the glow from the hall and in one resolute motion she stood up. Placing her fallen covers back onto the bed and locating her night-shoes and robe on, she crept forward.
 
As she came closer and closer to the light, the blueness of it increased, as did her heartbeat. The window behind Uncle Jira's work-desk was wide open—and towering near it, with his back to her was a man with silver hair. Kagome's eye widened at the sight of him as her first instinct was to believe a robber was infiltrating her house so her mind went into defense. The man had resorted to rummaging through drawer after drawer but as he moved onto the nearby bookcase Kagome's eyes were darting. Anything. Kagome was looking for anything heavy or sharp or blunt, she realized that if this man meant her harm she would be forced to defend herself. Finally she spotted a bookend that was only an arm length away from her, if only she could reach it. Her fingers lightly grazed its surface, but before obtaining a grasp on it the poor girl found her legs twisting uncontrollably and Kagome along with the bookend went to the floor right at the man's feet.
 
Fearfully, Kagome scrambled back and grabbed the bookend firmly with one hand while she struggled to her feet. Her face clenched with courage, but the pupils of her eyes dilated back. As he turned, the small pin light he held gave off enough light that she could see certain features of his face, but only for a split second. Kagome managed a glimpse of his golden eyes before, with a snort, he clicked it off. Now only the small amount of light from the moon by way of the opened window gave the two enough light to see each other's figure.
 
“Wh—what are you doing?” The strange question fell from her lips before she had time to refrain them.
On the inside, Kagome berated herself for being so stupid. Any logical question at the time would have been to demand to know whom the person was, but Kagome had merely asked what he had been doing. It both befuddled and frightened Kagome that something within her did not need to know who he was; it was if she had always known, but her mind had forgotten.
 
Holding the bookend even higher she threateningly yelled at him, a bit stronger now. “I asked you a question!”
 
The man stared at her with what Kagome assumed was a bored expression, but when his eyes drifted to what item lay in her hand she swore that what shown in his eyes was strangely…amusement.
 
Kagome's eyes drifted to the item as well and when she did her eyes shown the evident mortification that was on her face. The small figurine she held was that of a small pup, animatedly cartoonish in nature. Finding her arm weakening she brought the figure closer to her chest, eyes downcast at it. All the while she was thinking, `A Puppy? I was threatening him with this? Why couldn't it at least have been something vicious? Oh well, I suppose there is no hope now. I might as well accept my fate.'
 
The man who had briefly diverted his eyes from her, found them at her once again, specifically at a certain object that shone round her neck. He watched as she dropped the figure she had been holding and cast her eyes down to her feet. The movement was strange to him because it read a strange sense of submission.
 
Taking note of this and eyeing her suspiciously, he made his way over to her. He brought his right hand up and placed it under her chin only to feel her trembling. When he lifted her face up to his, their eyes both stopped at each other while a strange emotion teased at them both. It was at that moment, with her eyes brimming, that Kagome finally recognized him. It was the man who had been at Jira's lecture. Kagome was not positive because she could still not see him fully, but now seeing the outline of his form and at his touch, she recognized the emotion that his touch brought into her. The feeling was the same as when he had entered the lecture. The raw warming of her skin that ran down from her spine to her fingers and cheeks was with her once again.
 
Kagome stared back at him. She'd never seen a man who made her feel so uncompromisingly nervous and yet not fearful. All Kagome could focus on was the absolute power that he resonated. He was truly male and at that moment and Kagome had never felt more… womanly. Her thoughts of childhood left her and with her chin between his fingers, while his scrutinizing gaze went over her. She could not help but willingly forget them when he had touched her. At some level, Kagome knew she should be terrified at finding this huge stranger in the cabin, but fear just didn't play a role in it. She'd completely forgotten everything and so like a spell when he dropped his hand from her and his lips made the movement of speech, she could not hear words.
 
An unseen thread connected them across the room, commanding, but yet fragile. His face was now in the shadows, but his hair gleamed in the moonlight as he stood there, as motion­less as she was.
 
Then he raised his hand and made a peculiar, elegant movement in the air between them. To Kagome it was as if he was talking to her in sign and for a moment she wondered if he was mute or deaf. The thought changed, however, the moment he stopped and uttered the five words that would chill down her spine in the morning.
 
“Go back to bed, Kagome.”
 
With that she left; without a moment's thought to what she had done, Kagome went straight back to her room and gingerly shut the door.
-
-
-
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-
-
In the next chapter you should find out more information as to what `he' wanted inside the cabin and perhaps a bit more as to what Kagome has to do with his visit. In the meanwhile you'll just have to wait now won't you?
So please review if you wish (honestly, you don't have to)! ^.^
~MickeytheMouse