InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Better Off Dead ❯ New Years Eve and New Friends ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter Three:
New Years and New Friends


§¤§¤

Inuyasha stood looking over the highway. He was on the edge of the bridge, about to plummet into the pavement. Miroku rode up on his bike and pulled over when he saw Inuyasha.
"Inuyasha? What are you doing?" he asked in a 'motherly' tone. Inuyasha ignored his friend, prepared to throw his life away. "Aww, buck up little camper, we'll beat that slope, together."
"Really?" Inuyasha asked, looking back at his friend,
"Really," he gave his friend a pat on the back as he drove away, causing Inuyasha to loose his balance. He fell and did a few flips in the air before landing in a garbage truck.
Inuyasha sat in the back of the truck, picking banana peels and other trash off his clothes, he looked up and waved to two African American men who stood up in a cherry-picker working on the telephone wire. One of them 'tsked' before saying, "Man, now that is a real shame when folks be throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that." his friend nodded in agreement.

§¤§¤

"Once I get past the first slope the rest would be a breeze, I know it." Inuyasha spoke as he looked over the edge of the K-12. Him and Miroku had been standing there for what seemed like an eternity. But he hadn't dismounted from the top of the slope once. "Miroku?" he asked, wondering why his friend wasn't saying anything.
"Shh, I think I am on to something here." he looked around at the mountain. He had a giant pile of snow on his top hat, which he wore everyday. "This is pure snow, have you any idea what the street value of this mountain is? Watch this," he took a straw and sniffed snow up through his nose. "Ah, I think I froze the left half of my brain, I can't move my right arm," he stated as he swung his right arm around in circles.
"This is serious. I mean really." Inuyasha looked at his friend for some sympathy.
"Look dude, its Christmas Eve, I could be home making this killer eggnog that my brother makes with lighter fluid. We've been standing here for hours."
"I need to do this, I mean really, if I don't do this I am going to end up like Hojo, my neighbor. He sits around all day knitting and snorting nasal spray." Inuyasha started to go off on a tangent before Miroku interrupted,
"Nasal spray? Know where I can score some?" Miroku asked. Inuyasha started to say something before Miroku interrupted again, "Okay, go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn." Miroku looked from the slope back to Inuyasha, smiling and nodding.
"What a couch. Okay here I go." Inuyasha jumped off the slope and was doing pretty well, until he flipped over many times, and he lost a ski.
"Alright, now turn!" Miroku called from the top of the slope.

§¤§¤
Inuyasha hadn't gone downstairs to open presents yet, he wanted to call Kikyo first and say 'Merry Christmas' to her. "Kikyo, hey, oh you opened your presents. No we didn't open ours. The cutest thing, from Naraku. A giant teddy bear, bigger then you are." Inuyasha opened a small box, with a little Teddy Bear that he had bought for Kikyo. "No, sounds great, look Kikyo I got to go the Christmas tree is on fire," he stated nonchalantly, throwing the phone onto the bed. He went down stairs to join his family.
The fireplace had a small TV in it with a fire blazing on the screen, Sesshomaru, Inuyasha's little brother, was playing with a spaceship he had gotten for Christmas, as Inuyasha opened yet another TV dinner.
"I remembered how he said he liked the chocolate nut brownies. And look, corn, he likes corn." his mother took the package and placed it on top of at least thirty others. Inuyasha left the room and his mother gave her husband his present.
"What have you done?" he asked as she slipped a coat on him. It was gray and made of fur.
"It is made of real aardvark fur. Everyone is going to be wearing them." she smiled with delight as he zipped up the coat, which was quite a bit smaller then his size. She put on the hood, mentioning that it was the best part, and she looked at her husbands reaction.
"Everyone is going to be wearing these?" he asked, trying to sound excited.

§¤§¤
Kagome sat in between Hojo and Mrs. Smith. Hojo had received many stuffed animals from his mother, and a little porcelain monkey that he was currently playing with.
"Do they have Christmas in Japan?" Mrs. Smith asked looking at Kagome, she shrugged, not replying to anything she said, "Christmas," Mrs. Smith grabbed her by the jaw and moved her mouth to form syllables.
"Give her your present," Mrs. Smith gestured for Hojo to give Kagome a gift that was wrapped in plaid paper. He picked up the gift and slid it into Kagome's lap.
"Arigato," she smiled as she began to open the gift. It was a hand-made picture frame, with a picture of Hojo in it. He looked just as goofy as ever with his vacant expression and his ridiculous attire. Kagome tried not to laugh, she ran outside and sat on the front step. There she began to laugh hysterically at the picture of Hojo.

§¤§¤
Inuyasha sat in the car, inside the garage. He was allowing the garage to fill with smoke from the exhaust and he was smoking a cigarette with the windows rolled up. He took the cigarette out of his mouth to ask the bear why he was so small, before putting it back in his mouth.

Inuyasha's mother and father came out of the house, he had fixed the windows for her for a Christmas present. Her eyes were covered and he uncovered her eyes, and she opened them, marveling at the windows.
"Oh, it's a Christmas miracle!" she smiled and put her hands to her heart.

Inuyasha, once again, took the cigarette out of his mouth, "Wait a minute Mr. Bear, this is crazy, I bet we get her back." he said as he collapsed with dizziness, and shifted the car into reverse. Plowing right through the newly fixed garage door. Inuyasha's parents looked over to see there neighbor standing in his own yard, half hidden behind the hedges but wearing the same attire that Inuyasha's father wore.
"Merry Christmas," the parents said in unison.

§¤§¤

The mailman walked up the rode, listening to his walkman. He was shifting through people's letters, dropping many on the ground and simply walking on, not bothering to pick them up. He arrived at Inuyasha's house and rang the doorbell, quickly stuffing a book back into its package.
Sesshomaru answered the door, "Hello Sesshomaru, your book on how to pick up trashy women came today. What is a little boy like you doing with big boy stuff like this?" the mailman asked as Sesshomaru angrily grabbed the book and slammed the door in his face. The mailman rang the bell again, it was Inuyasha who answered this time.
"Hello Inuyasha, I was wondering, I know you were going out with that girl Kikyo, and I can see you aren't," Inuyasha shut the door in his face, and walked back through the hall, but could still here the man trying to ask for permission to ask out Kikyo. Inuyasha walked passed the dinning room where his father sat, pouring over books.
"Inuyasha," he called. Inuyasha doubled back and took a seat across from his dad. "I think it is time for you to re-enter the sociological mainstream of dating members of the opposite sex." his father said looking at his son.
"I don't want to date other girls, I want to date Kikyo." he said dryly.
"Well, you will date other girls starting tonight. You will take out Sango."
"Your law partners daughter?" Inuyasha scoffed, he knew his father was just trying to remain buddy-buddy with his co-workers, and to make sure Sango didn't wind up like Hojo.
"Yes, you could take her to the school dance, or something."
"No dad, I don't want to."
"Come on Inuyasha, you are really," he looked into a book he had opened and said, "pulling me over man."
Inuyasha didn't feel like arguing, and he took his dad's hand and slapped him a high-five. "Alright dad."
"Right off." his dad said, holding up a fist.
"On" Inuyasha corrected, turning the corner.

Inuyasha stood in the bathroom getting ready for his 'date'. He looked in the mirror and touched up his hair slightly, he then took off his shirt and smelled his underarms.
"One look at me and she will probably go blind with ecstasy, poor creature. Gosh, I hope she doesn't grab my leg and start crying when the date is over." he sprayed himself heavily with deodorant and left the house to pick up Sango.

§¤§¤

Inuyasha sat at a small circular table. When he had gotten to Sango's house she had known exactly why he was going out with her, because it was his fathers idea, and she made him pay her thirteen dollars, which was approximately half of which the date would cost. Inuyasha didn't want to go home because he knew his dad would get mad at him for not going on the date, so he went to the dance, which was long underway, alone. He met up with his friend Miroku there, and they now sat blowing into noise-makers.

There was an okay band, currently singing a great song of the time called Better Off Dead. Naraku came over with Kikyo, and it made Inuyasha's blood boil. "Well, you two have my vote for class couple, but you might want to shave her before you kiss her goodnight though." of course referring to Miroku's peach fuzz that was growing on his face. Miroku let out a howl of a laugh and that caused Naraku to leave with his usual trail of followers.

Hojo walked in dramatically, thinking he was 'all that'. He unbuttoned his over coat and flung it back, thinking he was suave. He looked over to Kagome, but she wasn't there. He went back outside and dragged her into the dance. He went into the middle of the floor and began to dance with her. As the cheering grew he began to dance by himself, before dramatically throwing himself to the floor. People hooted and hollered before continuing to dance around him.

Inuyasha found the dance boring and walked out the door, heading back to his car. Kagome noticed he was leaving, and had been wanting to meet him for a while, she had seen him at school a few times, and when he drove the car through the garage she had seen him. She ran out of the dance and followed Inuyasha. She ran up to him and as he was walking up the steps she pushed him down. She then picked him up and began to mutter apologizes.

"No, no it's okay, I was planning on having my nose flattened by a professional anyway," he was being sarcastic, but he wasn't really mad. He looked at Kagome, and smiled at her. "You are the foreign exchange student staying with the 'dorkheads', uh the umm Smiths, next door." he smiled and Kagome shook his hand, almost violently. "I'm Inuyasha." he didn't realize that Kagome didn't speak English.
She looked at him perplexed before saying, "Kagome Higarashi," he continued shaking her hand.
"You don't speak English?" he asked. She shook her head apologetically, "that is okay I don't speak Japanese," he said and offered a chuckle. Miroku ran up to them, chasing his balloon which flew away, but he didn't care about the balloon anymore as he ran up to Kagome.
"Inuyasha, I see you have met Kagome's acquaintance," he gave Inuyasha a hard glance. "Mother will meet as at the entrance of the school, she will be very angry if we aren't right at the entrance."
"Well when your mom gets here you have her honk the horn, Kagome and I would like to finish our conversation." he said, as Kagome continued to shake his hand strongly.
"You should not upset mother." he stated as he began to walk away, "Ever!" he added as he walked away. Soon after Hojo left a horn honked loudly and Kagome had to leave.

Inuyasha walked through the dark forest area to his beat up station wagon. He could see his car in view, and he noticed the paperboy, Shippo, sitting there looking at him.
"Two dollars," he said menacingly, Inuyasha turned around to go the other way, but another paperboy sat there.
"Two dollars," he said in the same menacing tone, Inuyasha turned around again and now there were at least twenty paperboys all chanting, "Two dollars, two dollars," Inuyasha ran to his car. He jumped and slid over the hood to the drivers side. He couldn't find his keys, he searched his pocket, and called out for his keys. Finally finding them he got into his car and drove off.
The paperboys followed him, he pulled into his driveway, ran in the house and locked the door.
"Inuyasha, how was your date?" Inuyasha gasped at his dad,
"They are out there dad, they are after me!" he screamed as he disappeared up the stairs. His father was flipping through a book, about how to deal with the changes in your child. He turned the page and with a thick yellow highlighter underlined 'Paranoia'.

Inuyasha tripped up the stairs, and regained some composure, he began to walk into his bedroom, but when he heard loud music and women's voices from his little brothers room, he went to investigate. He opened the door and notice Sesshomaru was surrounded by five or six 'trashy' women.
"Happy new year," he smiled and closed the door, the music continued to play and Inuyasha went into his room.