InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Better Things than You ❯ Jilted ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha.
 
A/N: Yeah, I know I have two other stories not done, but this is my London story. I've had to look at so much Victorian and Georgian architecture in this city and had to read so much London based Victorian literature, something had to come of it, and well I guess this fanfic is it. For those of you reading my other stuff, I'm almost done with an update on “Marriage”, and I have a start on the next chapter for the “Fortuneteller/Nerdy Hanyou”.
 
Chapter 1
 
It was a rare sunny day in London. The gloom, which had spent weeks on end snuggling with the city, had finally been washed away by the cold wind and clear sky.
 
Kagome Higurashi—soon to be Kagome Takahashi after she married into that prestigious family—stood watching by the front parlor window of her family's home. She was waiting on two of her favorite people in the world, her half brother and his best friend. A light blush flushed her face just thinking about the latter and a serene smile spread over her lips as she pulled back part of the lacy curtain to reveal Miroku coming up the front steps.
 
She had a small feeling of apprehension when it dawned her he was both alone and not looking in the best of spirits. When he hesitated at the door and looked as though he was going to make a run for the street, Kagome knew something was wrong. Sprinting as well as she could in her heels and corset out of the sunlit room and into the poorly light entry hall, she pushed pass the footman helping Miroku out of his jacket to stand before her half brother.
 
“What's wrong? Where's Inuyasha? He's alright, isn't he?” Kagome demanded.
 
Miroku, always calm, took his time removing his hat to sit it on the coat rack behind him before turning back to the woman to whom he was about deliver some most unwanted news.
 
“Ah, Lady Kagome,” he joked, “there you are.” So soon, he added in his mind. He had been hoping for some time to sort out what he had just been told before had to face Kagome.
 
“Miroku!” She hissed. Kagome's heart was beating in her ears, and her hands were shaking. In her mind a million grim images were being conjured—from carriage crashes, to slips on bridges, to deadly fights between Inuyasha and his older brother. No trivial matter could keep Inuyasha away from her. “Where is he?”
 
Miroku looked at his feet. This wasn't going to be easy, and she was going to get more agitated as time went on, so he needed to bite the bullet.
 
“Inuyasha won't be joining us today.”
 
Great, is that the best you can do Miroku?
 
“Why not? He's alright, right?” Kagome gripped his arm, pleading him to tell her that Inuyasha was fine. He's more than fine.
 
“Kagome,” Miroku dropped the act. “Kagome, he isn't coming today or any other day. He…he has broken off your engagement and is currently making plans for his wedding with Miss Kikyou.” There, I've said it. Miroku looked up just in time to see Kagome nod silently. She was pale and she turned on her heel and began to make her way to the staircase leading up to the family's bedrooms.
 
“Kagome, wait,” Miroku tried to reach out, but she stepped out of his grasp.
 
“I'll be fine, I just need some time to myself.” Her hollow voice echoed in his ears.
 
Miroku nodded and his eyes followed her as she trudged up to the second floor. He had to tell his stepmother and father the news too. If he ever saw Inuyasha again…
 
 
XXXXXXXXXX
 
Kagome sat on the edge of her bed, a little numb, very confused, and trying her best not to think. If she let her mind wander, she wasn't really sure what she would do.
 
What had happened? What had gone wrong?
 
Just the day before she had been walking with Inuyasha, as a happy and content pair.
 
Or at least she had thought they were happy and content.
 
She could remember their walk in the park, though under dark clouds. Miroku was trailing behind as chaperone and Inuyasha was whispering in her ear. Every thing but the weather had been well…perfect.
 
When her mother came later, Kagome pretended to be asleep. She really couldn't face anyone at the moment. Mrs. Higurashi seemed to sense as much, but spoke to her daughter anyway.
 
“I know this hurt you, Kagome, and as soon as you want to talk about it I'll be here. I don't understand what has happened anymore than you do, but when you feel up to it, we'll try to find the answers. Sleep well, dear.”
 
Kagome waited until her mother's footfalls had disappeared down the hall, then huddled even deeper under the covers and really began to cry.
 
A/N: Yeah, not very long and not some of my best writing. I think I'm out of practice and my natural writing style is trying to reconcile itself with all the Dickens I've been forced to read over here. As far as the length, I'm just testing the waters—I want to see what you guys think. I'm not sure if it's worth continuing.